Nintendo Wii U

deKay

Sorry one more thing I just want to check for those that have already done this. Currently I have a spare external 320GB drive laying around which I intend to use for it's main storage. Say further down the line I want to use a 1TB drive on it is there an option that will transfer from 1 drive to another? Or can I do a similar process like you can with the 3DS SD cards on a PC?

Sorry one more thing I just want to check for those that have already done this. Currently I have a spare external 320GB drive laying around which I intend to use for it's main storage. Say further down the line I want to use a 1TB drive on it is there an option that will transfer from 1 drive to another? Or can I do a similar process like you can with the 3DS SD cards on a PC?

Yes.

Finally part of the Wii U club. Ours is delivered tomorrow (Basic w/Bayonetta). :omg:

I ordered the wrong bundle as it is for Lucas' 8th birthday on Nov 18th, so need to also buy him a couple of Mario games. But wanted to check how long the initial updates take? I assume I should get that done ahead of time so he can actually play the thing.

Depends what firmware you start on. Anything from forever to about half an hour. Are you on Virgin Media? Might need to check if it's totally happy with your router.

Nah BT, can't get VM here.

I'll set it up Tuesday night then. Do 'ALL' Wii games work on it? Also, can GC games be bought via the online store or anything? Really fancy introducing the boy to some of the cracking games on the Gamecube.

Do 'ALL' Wii games work on it? Also, can GC games be bought via the online store or anything? Really fancy introducing the boy to some of the cracking games on the Gamecube.

I think all Wii games work but you'll obviously need a Wii Remote / Nunchuk / Motion+ Wii remote to play them. Also I don't think the Wii U Basic set even comes with a sensor bar so you'll need to track down one of those too.

GameCube games aren't available on the store and the discs don't work on the Wii U, so you're stuffed on that one I'm afraid.

All Wii games work, GC games only by hacking and I haven't done it so no idea how practical it is.

Shame, not bothering to hack, probably better off getting a cheap NGC or Wii then.

I think all Wii games work but you'll obviously need a Wii Remote / Nunchuk / Motion+ Wii remote to play them. Also I don't think the Wii U Basic set even comes with a sensor bar so you'll need to track down one of those too.

GameCube games aren't available on the store and the discs don't work on the Wii U, so you're stuffed on that one I'm afraid.

The bundle I got comes with a Wii Motion+ as well as Nintendoland and Wii Party U so assuming it will have the sensor bar, if not I know they are cheap enough and have time to get one still.

I think that if you stick a recent game in there (like Bayo 2) it'll install the update off the disc, rather than having to download it. Fairly sure this worked for me with Mario Kart, but it depends on how much spare capacity was on the disk after sticking the game on there.

For the Mario stuff, look out for the New Super Mario U + Luigi U pack which was bundled with earlier Wiis U - my local games shops all have a few second hand copies.

Yeah I just updated mine after finally setting it all up tonight and it took probably just half an hour, I was expecting much longer. I'm on Virgin Media myself but didn't have any problems at all with the wireless. Maybe it's to do with me having a Super Hub?

Opened Monster Hunter 3 U last night, but I literally can't play it as I can't see the dialogue prompts to read them, and have no idea how to get out of the starting area, or anything else. There is a way of making the text bigger, right? This is going to have been a complete waste of money otherwise.

Nope there's no fix or patch in game. Have you tried lowering the console setting from say 1080 to 720?

I'll try that later, thanks. Might be on 720p already as it's a fairly old TV.

Have you tried sitting closer, or purchasing a larger TV?

Yes, because I'm going to spend hundreds of Pounds on a new television to be able to play a game that I don't even know if I actually like yet because I can't get anywhere in it. :facepalm:

The text isn't amazing on my TV, but it's legible from the other side of the living room. Maybe sitting closer isn't such a bad shout.

To get out of the starting area, speak to the guild counter girl, and select a mission. A coloured shape should appear above your head, indicating you've an active quest. Talk to the cat to her left, eat a meal to buff your stamina and health. Go to the small boat at the pier to her left and you'll get a start quest dialogue appear.

I went and got glasses after my wife kicked off at how much I was squinting at it. She said the text was fine and I was being shit.

I too can now read the text from across the room with zero effort. The text is small, but not so small to be unreadable. Get your eyes checked.

Bloody hell, it came today and I thought I would be nice and get it all set up for the boy.

It is well packed isn't it, I have no idea how I am supposed to fit it all back in now I have taken most of it out. Updates are taking ages, but so be it.

So hit me... what are the top 20 (retail only for now) Wii/WiiU games I should get for this (We got Wii Party U, Nintendoland and Bayonetta 1&2 with it)

It's fairly obvious where everything goes, I unpacked and repacked it more than once before opening it properly at Christmas :)

Gameswise,

Super Mario 3D World

New Super Mario Bros U + NSLU

Pikmin 3

Mario Kart 8

Rayman Legends

Wind Waker HD

are all decent enough to have bought. Others will no doubt recommend

Wonderful 101

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Hyrule Warriors

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Zombi U

Lego City Undercover

as well. Top 20 was a bit optimistic, but I guess you did ask for Wii games as well which'd help pad it out a bit I guess ;)

If you haven't played them:

[What you've got is very good. Baseball in Party U is great fun, and we've had hours of laughs from Nintendo Land.]

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Super Mario 3D World- Best 3D platformers, the latter has co-op so could be ideal.

Rayman Legends- Best 2D Platformer on the system. Co-op for you and the boy.

Mario Kart 8, Sonic Racing Transformed (or MKWii)- Best kart racers, the former is better in MP, but the latter has a far better SP mode that can be tackled in co-op, with one player on the TV and another on the gamepad.

Zelda- Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword

Lego City Undercover is a great GTA for kids (and adults)

The Pikmin trilogy is magnificent. The first is dirt cheap whereas the third is better and a beautiful game that will show off what the console can do.

Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze are very solid 2D platformers, though can be very challenging.

If you like Bayo, you'll like The Wonderful 101.

Mario kart 8

Mario 3d world

NSMBU

Pikmin 3

Zelda wind waker

Zombi u

Deus Ex - so cheap and best version

Lego city - not so sure on this one, i got bored of it and has worst loading times in the history of gaming ;)

Those are my must haves, few others we have are good or multi plat

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Mario Kart 8

Wind Waker

Hyrule Warriors

New Super Mario Bros U

Super Mario 3D World

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Pikmin 3

The Wonderful 101

... Pretty much in that order

Also, if you've not got them multi-format:

Splinter Cell Blacklist

Arkham City

Rayman Legends

Tekken

Sonic & All Star Racing

Deus Ex Human Revolution

If you have a Wii Balance board, then Wii Fit U has some great mini games.

... The latter half should all be dirt cheap and all are better versions than the other consoles (maybe not Sonic), and it should be known that SSB is bloody fantastic and criminally overlooked.

Plus, you'll want a stack of eShop credit for NES Remix, Shovel Knight, Wii Sports, Tank! Tank! Tank! (Basically EDF junior), Bit Trip Runner 2... Virtual Console...

So.

Many.

Fantastic.

Games.

Oh my word...how good is the gamepad? I love remote play on the Vita, but this is a whole other level.

Yep, it's good. The range is terrible though unfortunately, plus I found it to be not so useful for Bayonetta 2 when I was playing on it yesterday, needs a big screen really - first game that hasn't really "worked" though.

So many games to be bought, thanks all for the lists.

Sadly, you'll note that everyone's list has the same games in it. It's got a high percentage of excellent games, but where shirubagan says "many" I'd say it's "enough". But enough for me evidently wasn't enough for most people to buy the machine in the end which is a shame, they're missing out on some cracking stuff and it'll mean it dies too soon.