Nintendo Wii U

deKay

Some of you really aren't making a good case for MH3U, I've already postponed opening the game for another week. :lol:

:)

Well... Apart from the cats obviously.

The Monsters in MH are not just boring damage sponges they each have character, a bit like the contestants in Street Fighter, theres tons of variety, small dinosaurs, huge flying dragons, underwater creatures, giant crabs, each has it's own quirks and personality. For example one is called Zinogre he is a big blue werewolf looking thing with lightening pulsing off his back, if you manage to trip him over during the fight you can run up to his back and catch lightening bugs off him with a bug net.

The combat is not your typical god of war button mash and this is where a lot of people go wrong. MH is all about patience and knowing when to attack and when to back off, it's about openings, it's about seeing that the monster is winding up to blast out a fireball and knowing you can get a few decent hits in, maybe even stagger the monster in this small gap. People call it clunky at first but MH is very much the strategy game, you need brains, brawn and skill to best these creatures.

The weapons transform your character into different classes, be quick with dual swords, do massive damage with a hammer maybe even KO the monster, turtle down with the lance or go range with the bows and guns. Each feel totally different. At first you'll wonder why the great sword is so slow, but then you realise this is how flinging around a sword bigger than me should feel, and then you'll connect with a monsters tail sending him spinning away from you tail severed from his body. Or the hammer will connect, smashing the monsters face leaving him knocked out on the floor with stars spinning around his head a few precious seconds of free hits for your hunting team. And every time you hunt it's different the monsters are so reactive each battle is unique. Watching a good MH player is entertaining like watching good Dota or Street Fighter players.

You just don't understand cuz you probably didn't get very far into MH.

Seriously, fuck off with that elitist bollocks. That's exactly what I was saying, you've no idea how long I played it, how many classes I tried or what I know about it, but no matter how long I did you'd undoubtedly say "not long enough to have understood how to really play it, noob!".

Seriously, fuck off with that elitist bollocks. That's exactly what I was saying, you've no idea how long I played it, how many classes I tried or what I know about it, but no matter how long I did you'd undoubtedly say "not long enough to have understood how to really play it, noob!".

I can guess from the fact you said classes when there isn't any in an MMO sense. Anyway calm down just winding you up, I am not elitist at all, just trying to get people to enjoy one of the greatest Videogames every made, cuz you know I love good Videogames and MH is one of the most misunderstood.

Don't we have a Monster Hunter thread or should we just change the title of this one? ;)

Yeah there is but you lot started it.

I've said before the biggest enemy of MH is.... starting to play MH. There is a long ass trudge through a lot of crap, and some of the less entertaining monsters.

But no game is for everyone, eg: I am so bored with racing games these days, and can't get on with RTS stuff at all.

I am really hitting the MH end game stuff hard right now, it is most entertaining. Event S.Zinogre GAAAAAAHHHHH !!!

I am having a hard time deciding whether to press on or, *gasp*, leave it for a bit when Bayonetta struts into my life.

MH3U lets me swing a giant guitar into a dragon's face, use the momentum from that swing to step to one side and avoid said dragon's flame-breath, then let out an almighty riff that increases the damage done to the dragon by other players, who are busy hacking off its tail. When the dragon dies, we cut it into pieces to create better//PRETTIER weapons and armour, and lament that we weren't a little better so as to capture it instead, which would have yielded more treats. Meanwhile, back at the farm, a team of bidepal cats are growing crops to let me craft potions, traps, poisons, and other equipment to help me take down larger, or tougher monsters. It is a game where the best players aren't always those with the best equipment, and where each hunt is potentially different due to the combination of players, equipment, monsters, and the temperament of those individual monsters.

MH3U is a game that is at first impenetrable, then fascinating, then rewarding. It has a clunky interface (arguably intentionally so), a series of tutorial missions that make it seem as exciting as watching paint dry, and dreadful underwater levels. For those that click to it, it is one of the best games ever made, but not everyone will enjoy it, or be willing to look past its flaws, and that's completely understandable.

EDIT: Man, I need to play more Monster Hunter...

I can guess from the fact you said classes when there isn't any in an MMO sense.

You said classes yourself in the post above mine, fucking hell :facepalm: For what it's worth, I don't think it's a bad game but you were selling it really poorly to people until the post where you actually wrote something other than "you've not played it enough".

You said classes yourself in the post above mine, fucking hell :facepalm: For what it's worth, I don't think it's a bad game but you were selling it really poorly to people until the post where you actually wrote something other than "you've not played it enough".

Probably because I have written similar long posts going on about how good it is in the MH thread. Classes, well yeah I used it, should of made myself clearer and said 'almost like classes', your not stuck in the one you pick like in a standard MMO.

The not played it enough argument is not something I would use with many games, but it totally rings true with MH, it's so worth it if it clicks. Look at the other posts from people popping in here waxing lyrical about the game. In my eyes, Monster Hunter, Dota 2, maybe the Souls games transcend all others, they are the uber games, they have so much meat on their bones people can play them for years and never get bored.

Take the MH demo for example, MH demos notoriously badly, the 3U demo stuck you up against the Lagombi a sort of snowball chucking bear. Most new players who try it get slaughtered, or they run around chasing the monster until the time runs out, get frustrated and put the game down saying it's terrible. Whereas someone who has given it a little time can take that fucker down in 5 minutes dancing around it's attacks. It's totally a game you get better at, skill based rather than levels.

In my eyes, Monster Hunter, Dota 2, maybe the Souls games transcend all others, they are the uber games, they have so much meat on their bones people can play them for years and never get bored.

DOTA 2, definitely. I'd probably run into the boredom wall playing a single entry of the other two, however. You have to subscribe to the MH universe as there is definitely a limit to the content in each entry. Which is great, don't get me wrong! It's like an MMOlite, one with an actual end.

Saying that MH is a funny one. Despite having most of the gear I want I still want to come back to it at some point. I like meeting up with randoms and helping out. It's extremely social, rather than relying on numbers and superiority over other players, which is one of the things that brings you back. I also need to delve into a few more of the weapon sets.

I love it how everything is so purposely ambiguous. No enemy health bars, no real EXP... It doesn't need any of it. It's all in your psyche instead - you know EXACTLY how leveled you are within a certain playstyle, no need for some bar to show your progress.

This is one of the things that stands out in WoW. You have some players with all the best gear that can't play for toffee.

Good point, your gear in Monster Hunter can reflect your skill in some ways, tho you can still get boosted through quests.

As for playing for years, think I have about 400 hours on the clock in 3U, and a similar amount in some of the previous entries, I am not playing Monster Hunter at the moment but I do think about it and pop back in for a hunt every so often. I guess since each new MH game is so similar they could of opted for a WoW style base game then expansions on top, but instead (prob cuz it's a console game) it's totally new games but with all the old Monsters, new weapons and tweaks.

I know it's a bit douchey, but occasionally I'll hop into a new player's HR1 room (typically called 'HELP ME") for a quest, and wearing my end game stuff.

"What do you want me to take down? Stand back, this won't take long".

lol power fantasy etc

Sorry sorry, no more MH stuff from me now, I'll head back to the appropriate thread

There's not masses to talk about though game-wise really. Can't wait 'til Friday, when it'll become the Bayonetta thread :)

Other than that, I suppose Watch Dogs is (allegedly) out in exactly a month, does anyone care? Bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy that that's going to sell sod all given the 6 month gap between release on the other machines to a warmish reception.

There's the Mario Kart 8 DLC part one available at some point in November too, be nice if they actually bothered to give us a date given we're not far off November now. They haven't, have they?

There's not masses to talk about though game-wise really. Can't wait 'til Friday, when it'll become the Bayonetta thread :)

Other than that, I suppose Watch Dogs is (allegedly) out in exactly a month, does anyone care? Bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy that that's going to sell sod all given the 6 month gap between release on the other machines to a warmish reception.

There's the Mario Kart 8 DLC part one available at some point in November too, be nice if they actually bothered to give us a date given we're not far off November now. They haven't, have they?

I had forgotten about Bayonetta, 3 more days, hurrah :)

I played about 10hrs of MH3 on the Wii looking for the appeal, and didn't find it.

I'm prepared to believe there might be something in there, but the barrier to entry is too high. Just felt like the entire game was grinding for loot, my least favourite part of conventional RPGs.

On the plus side, the Classic Controller Pro bundled with it was fantastic for Xenoblade.

I played about 10hrs of MH3 on the Wii looking for the appeal, and didn't find it.

I'm prepared to believe there might be something in there, but the barrier to entry is too high. Just felt like the entire game was grinding for loot, my least favourite part of conventional RPGs.

Well no, the 10 hours you played felt like grinding for loot, that's really just a byproduct of the fantastic combat and a way to look cool.

I shall vacate the thread now and go cry in the MH thread instead. Unless I buy Bayonetta, in which case I shall be back.

I forgot how completely brilliant Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is... The music, the graphics, the capsule machine!

:wub:

I've not given it the time it deserves, after finishing DKC:R on Wii and 3DS within 8 or 9 months of each other, I got this and played a couple of the first levels and put it down, should get round to it eventually, same as Mario 3D World, started but only midway through world 3.