Nintendo Wii U

deKay

Don't want to leave my credit card details after the PSN fiasco.

You don't have to - when you add funds it asks you if you want to store the details or not. I always say no, my details are not stored on the machine and I've made multiple purchases.

Nothing is stored unless you expressly click yes to wanting it to be.

I don't know, but why do you need the vouchers? You can just add funds to an account directly using a card (or even buy purchases of any value directly using a card - I picked up Super Metroid for 30p using my card jsut last night).

Makes sense if it's intended as a gift I guess, but if not then just add the funds directly.

Don't want to leave my credit card details after the PSN fiasco.

Ok thanks I'll order from Amazon on a next day.

Use a credit card on the eShop. It doesn't save it unless you want it to.

Even at its worst post-launch the PS3 was doing better than Wii U, and that's when it was selling at over twice the price.

Wii U is selling worse than PS3, 360, Wii, PS2, XBox, GCN, N64, PS1, DS, 3DS, Vita and the Dreamcast. If you want to make comparisons to lower selling consoles to avoid acknowledging that its doing badly, you might choose the Virtual Boy.

Being 'powerful' isn't what the Wii U is all about though. Most phones were more powerfull than the Wii - did that make them great for Wii Sports?

I'm not saying I'd not have liked it to have more power (of course I would), I am just objecting to this mental notion that it's about power and nothing else - because the industry is littered with evidence to the contrary.

thats not my point atall.

hardware progress is being accelerated by smart phones. and will continue to be - as they get ever more powerful and connect to more and more things (and eat into more and more markets). ignore it or not - that has a big effect on Nintendo's business model.

So all Nintendo have left are their franchises.

what happens next?

The PS3 will never pay for itself and be "UP UP UP", it's another OG Xbox. When you're having to compare yourselves to financial failures to look good, you should probably acknowledge that you're in trouble.

I'm getting confused here. So PS3 is a financial failure (according to you, I'd say it's doing pretty well right now), Vita is as well, but Nintendo are in trouble?

thats not my point atall.

hardware progress is being accelerated by smart phones. and will continue to be - as they get ever more powerful and connect to more and more things (TVs etc). ignore it or not - that has a big effect on Nintendo's business model.

what happens next.

They come up with new franchises that all the world want to play? Franchises that can only be played on their machines?

No they don't - and that's my point. What Nintendo have left is their innovation, there differentiator. It was the Wii Remote in the last gen, they are hoping it's going to be the Gamepad in this gen.

It might not work, but it's clearly wrong to say they are involved in the power arms race because they've been clear it's the one thing they are not.

I'm getting confused here. So PS3 is a financial failure (according to you, I'd say it's doing pretty well right now)

No, according to the finances.

Vita is as well, but Nintendo are in trouble?

Sorry mang, shouldn't talk about Nintendo in the Nintendo thread.

Would it really be so awful to see Zelda on cutting edge hardware not from nintendo?

I bet Mario on the PS5 would be just as awesome.

In some ways yes, in some ways no.

It would undoubtedly look better. Much better. Gorgeous probably. But let me put it this way.

Would Super Mario 64 have been better on this:

PSX-Original-Controller.jpg

The big thing about Nintendo (both a blessing and a curse you could say), is that the software and the hardware are so closely tied together - they can shape one in tandem with the other. That would be gone if they no longer had control over their own hardware.

Were Super Mario Galaxy or Zelda: TP better for being shoehorned onto the iffy Wiimote/Nunchuk combo, instead of a Gamecube pad? Is NSMBWU fundamentally different for having touchscreen options instead of using Wii-based controls? Did SMW add anything special with two run buttons and hamfisted camera controls on the SNES pad's shoulder buttons?

So, NSMBU, right. I play this with my four year old son. He plays Mario and I play the guider on the pad. The amount of times I've created blocks and knocked out enemies to see him through a level is countless. He loves it. I really enjoy it. Is it possible that could have been done with two controllers and one screen? Maybe, but it would be nowhere near as good or enjoyable or simple to implement. He loves it when he's falling to his death and I quickly create a block under him to save him. I don't think I could do that with a pad.

The big thing about Nintendo (both a blessing and a curse you could say), is that the software and the hardware are so closely tied together - they can shape one in tandem with the other. That would be gone if they no longer had control over their own hardware.

the point being is that business model viable anymore?

So, NSMBU, right. I play this with my four year old son. He plays Mario and I play the guider on the pad. The amount of times I've created blocks and knocked out enemies to see him through a level is countless. He loves it. I really enjoy it. Is it possible that could have been done with two controllers and one screen? Maybe, but it would be nowhere near as good or enjoyable or simple to implement. He loves it when he's falling to his death and I quickly create a block under him to save him. I don't think I could do that with a pad.

what about on a gamepad, and I dunno, say a tablet?

How much is the tablet and how much is the gamepad?

The Vita and PS4 could do the same thing but the cost, I imagine, would be over £500. A wiimote sets you back £30? So a price of around £350 if you're buying at RRP (and who is?).

If your first party software has to sell hardware too, you're going to make it the best you can. if you're putting it on multiple formats, you can afford to let standards slip, even if that's subconsciously.

How much is the tablet and how much is the gamepad?

the point being tablets are everywhere. who doesn't have access to one? even my mum has one.

i'm pretty sure connecting them to a PS4/NextBOX/Other is going to be pretty simple and easy to support.

i'll always be there day one for a Ninty console, but i'd argue hardware innovation has outpaced nintendo - and they need to adapt.

Not a master race post, but doing stuff like that in Trine with a friend of mine (him on a pad, me on a mouse as the wizard) was super fun.

I really want to know how Nintendo are going to bust out these new IPs that will draw people in when we know all of their studios are occupied making sequels (except maybe Retro) and they're publicly complaining about how hard it is to develop for the 3DS and Wii U at the same time, and working out toolchains and managing larger development teams because gosh who could have foreseen that this HD transition is hard work (anyone paying attention to this gen)?

I mean, there's nothing except for Disney Planes until August - these figures are just going to get worse and worse.

Even if they put everyone onto new IPs once their current projects are up, or bought new studios, it'll still be ages before they develop new stuff, and I'd bet my left testicle that they'd trial anything new on 3DS first instead of spending double digit millions on a risky bet on Wii U when their finances are in freefall.

Can you just imagine the lag a shitty android tablet would have trying to do what the gamepad does?

Nintendo may have ballsed up the launch and the marketing but there is a lot to love about the console. Nintendoland is a shit single player game which is where I guess a lot of the dislike comes from, but me and the mrs have had loads of fun on it.

Some of the games are just perfect to play and while it's easy to say they are just simple mini games there are a lot of subtle touches that add massively to the gameplay. The two stages of the ghosts aura in Ghost Mansion that allow you to stalk and put the fear in your opponents. The way the inner aura is just big enough to trigger it from the opposite side of a wall. The lightening that adds a little bit of randomness and the ability to sidestep tentatively across doorways. In Mario chase the way you can stand in the raised starting platform and survey the level, watching where the gamepad player appears. In Animal Crossing the way the camera rotates to perfection allowing to control two completely independent characters. The risk/reward of grabbing more sweets but they slow you down. Donkey Kong is the best digitised version of Screwball Scramble (which is in my parents loft somewhere!). There are weak links (F-Zero being the main one for me), but overall it's got such charm and it's easy to burn through a few hours without getting bored.

A good friend of mine, one who I have played many games with over the years, most recently PSO2, got hold of an Android tablet YESTERDAY. By any reasonable standard of the definition, he would be considered a "hardcore gamer" (as much as I loathe that term), and yet he only got into the situation described above this recently. So, basically, LOADS of people don't have access to a tablet.

the point being tablets are everywhere. who doesn't have access to one? even my mum has one.

i'm pretty sure connecting them to a PS4/NextBOX/Other is going to be pretty simple and easy to support.

i'll always be there day one for a Ninty console, but i'd argue hardware innovation has outpaced nintendo - and they need to adapt.

I don't own a tablet. Lots of people I know don't have a tablet.

Have you used SmartGlass? It's kind of laggy. And a bit rubbish. The technology is not the same as Wii U.

Can you just imagine the lag a shitty android tablet would have trying to do what the gamepad does?

It's called miracast bro, non-idevices and stuff already do it for an alternative to airplaying games to the TV. The shittiness of the Android tablet doesn't really matter unless it's doing the rendering, which it isn't in this hypothetical Wii U to Android setup. It's the same thing the Nvidia shield and upcoming Steambox will use to Stream from your PC to your tablet/phone/steambox etc. The Wii U has a dedicated Miracast chip, some guy has already worked out how to make it stream to his PC instead of the pad, so tablets and phones must be following shortly. I don't know why you'd want to do that, but it's certainly possible.