Nintendo Wii U

deKay

My feeling is if no more games come out for it, ever, not even Pikmin/Mario/101/Mario Kart or anything on the VC or eShop ever again, then I've still plenty to play for months and the purchase was justified even if only for Lego City and Monster Hunter.

It'll be another GameCube. Nintendo won't lose any money on it, their big franchises will do decent numbers... They'll release something in about 3-4 years time that will do another Wii and mess the market up again.

Either that or they'll go back to making cards.

They'll survive.

I was thinking about this earlier. I realised that I have actually bought more Angry Birds games than EA games in the last 5 years.

I wish I had waited to get my Wii U until last week when it was really cheap, but I'm still glad I have it. It is far and away my favourite console experience. The 360 takes longer to do anything every single time I switch it on, probably because DEM ADS, and the PS3 with its near-constant updates saps any joy you may have had from you long before you get to play a game. The Wii U could be faster, but not having to exit the game in order to Miiverse or even internet is something that should be in the other consoles already. And I have 120 hours in Monster Hunter now! This is before Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2, and before the inevitable Nintendo big-hitters come out. Zelda is fine, but Mario and Mario Kart are simply the best franchises in existence for me.

So what's the general feel on the Wii U now, given this news and it's disastrous sub 40k NPD? Will Nintendo's big guns turn it around, or are we beyond that, and all we'll see are temporary boosts before Nintendo quietly replace the console in two years time?

What would be the point in replacing it? They're out of the multiformat game for good now. This generation of COD and GTA fans will never chose a Nintendo console over a Microsoft or Sony one. Extra power never goes amiss but Mario and Zelda will look great on Wii U and a new system in two years probably wouldn't be as powerful as its rivals.

I see no different fate for any future Nintendo console.

You know that Simpsons episode where Lisa claims Jebediah Springfield was a pirate named Hans Sprungfeld, and whilst nobody believes her Homer does because whenever Lisa has gone against the grain in the past she has always been proven to be right? That is me with Nintendo right now. People seem to be writing the Wii U off as a failed console, just as was the case with the 3DS, and possibly the NDS a generation ago at a similar point in the cycle.

Neither the Nextbox or the PS4 have even been properly revealed yet. Right now, nothing is certain about the next generation of games consoles. But Nintendo have a competent machine already out which, by Christmas, will probably be selling for £200 with a copy of Mario Kart or a new Mario 3D bundled in. Whilst its rivals are getting ready for a launch Nintendo are going to be hitting their stride with their major Mario franchise releasing new games on its flagship console. The competition is a very unknown quantity right now. But I expect the new Microsoft and Sony consoles to be launched at £300-ish, probably without a game bundled. Quite a different proposition to what Nintendo will be offering when parents will be looking at what to buy their kids for Christmas, especially if a significant proportion of the population are still observing a fall in their incomes and living standards as seems to be the case now.

If Christmas passes and Nintendo are still struggling as they are now, then the console will be looking more like a repeat of the N64 or Gamecube than the Wii. But, as somebody who enjoys great games, that prospect does not frighten me as much as it would Nintendo's shareholders.

This is much worse than the Gamecube - that managed to only lose major third party support at the very end of its life, not within its first year. Plus they've actually been selling Wii U at a loss - between Wii U and 3DS, their warchest has shrunk considerably.

Maybe they shouldn't have rushed a successor to market to placate investors? Maybe they shouldn't have aimed at an indifferent "gamer" audience which is already massively established and linked to other platforms and their services? Maybe they shouldn't have named it Wii U so people don't think it isn't a fucking peripheral?

I don't think I could name a single EA 3DS title. It's a bit of a strange situation for me, because I'm far more likely to buy a Wii U version than any other currently just for Gamepad play, but there we are. I might even buy Resident Evil, and I'd have no intention whatsoever to get it if it were only released on PS3 or 360, despite owning both. Same with Need for Speed if you could get it at a sane price.

This is much worse than the Gamecube - that managed to only lose major third party support at the very end of its life, not within its first year. Plus they've actually been selling Wii U at a loss - between Wii U and 3DS, their warchest has shrunk considerably.

Maybe they shouldn't have rushed a successor to market to placate investors? Maybe they shouldn't have aimed at an indifferent "gamer" audience which is already massively established and linked to other platforms and their services? Maybe they shouldn't have named it Wii U so people don't think it isn't a fucking peripheral?

for once I actually argee with rubberjohnny. the whole concept of the console seems ill though-out and completely misjudged. And I say that as someone that loves it.

the press/hype/conversation was never this bad around any of Ninty's other hardware - including the 3DS. its so poisonous and damaging to the brand that its going to take a fucking miracle to get past it.

yes the mario, zelda and metroids will be fantastic - but without a major rethink the console will always be fighting the negativity.

its almost like karmic payback for the success of the Wii.

And honestly I'm not sure what they could have done.

I thought about them releasing a cheap small box that did HD (people conflate resolution increase for asset fidelity increase, whereas you can get HD remakes that do res and not fidelity, like NSMB U) sidestepping the graphics race, but appealing to everyone with HDTVs, and playable with a traditional pad or Wiimote. Nintendo could sell their stuff physically, but they'd have a really prominent and well done download store that would get mid-size games - the sort of XBLA/PSN/Steam/F2P/iPad stuff, and not really care about AAA retail, and really carve out a niche ahead of the Steambox/AppleTV/Android boxes.

But even that seems like they wouldn't be able to compete with next gen now we've got the PS4 hoovering up support for basically every successful PC F2P or download title (Planetside, War Thunder, probably LoL at some point) and a graphics race taking place at the top end of that mid-size market (god we need better descriptors for this industry).

Nintendo can't compete directly, and I'm struggling to figure out a space in the industry they can carve out and dominate.

There does seem to be a lot of retroactive hatred for the Wii going on in the US press but if Sony managed to drag the PS3 back from it's poor launch I don't see why Nintendo can't do the same. Look at the 3DS now compared to where it was just 18 months ago.

The issue is Nintendo are mismanaged as fuck - I mean, my theoretical example, and any others people come up with are based on the assumption that Nintendo manage to get their shit together on some aspect of their business, which they can't.

They can't compete on hardware quality, they can't compete on online services, they can't compete on developer tools or third party support, and they can't even compete on game development - and I'm not talking about quality of portfolios (seriously stop typing your reply right now if you're responding to that) they've managed to run into exactly the same problems of transitioning to HD development as everyone else, despite having 7 years to learn about those issues and adapt to them.

They're incompetent. Iwata and the rest of the management need to go.

Worth pointing out even with the WiiU's wretched performance Nintendo still sold 330,000 consoles in April in the US. Sony sold roughly half that amount. So if Nintendo are fucked...

I'm really not seeing the 300,000 figure. Wii was around 40,000, Wii U was less than that, 3DS around 100,000. Collectively those three platforms aren't much more than the 360 alone.

The issue is the trend, Wii is absolutely falling off a cliff. Nintendo alone makes up ~97% of the contraction in the videogames industry in the last few years, whereas both HD consoles started slowly and have actually sold more in recent years (more than half of the PS3s that exist were sold in the last 3 years, so much for a "long generation"), and will likely continue selling for years with end of life price-cuts.

Anywhere online that delivers instantly Wii U eshop voucher codes?

Also is £15 the lowest you can purchase?

I don't know, but why do you need the vouchers? You can just add funds to an account directly using a card (or even buy purchases of any value directly using a card - I picked up Super Metroid for 30p using my card jsut last night).

Makes sense if it's intended as a gift I guess, but if not then just add the funds directly.

The issue is the trend, Wii is absolutely falling off a cliff. Nintendo alone makes up ~97% of the contraction in the videogames industry in the last few years, whereas both HD consoles started slowly and have actually sold more in recent years (more than half of the PS3s that exist were sold in the last 3 years, so much for a "long generation"), and will likely continue selling for years with end of life price-cuts.

So it wasn't a worrying trend with the PS3? Or it was? When that started slowly?

It's also interesting that most PS3 owners bought their consoles recently. Because the talk is of people not buying games, all waiting for the next gen when, as you point out, most PS3 owners have only just started this gen.

Interesting times.

Game, and yes.

You can pay by exact amounts and not store your card details if you pay by credit card on the eShop though.

EDIT: Oh wait - no, Game doesn't email the codes for points cards, just codes for download cards.

So it wasn't a worrying trend with the PS3? Or it was? When that started slowly?

It's also interesting that most PS3 owners bought their consoles recently. Because the talk is of people not buying games, all waiting for the next gen when, as you point out, most PS3 owners have only just started this gen.

Interesting times.

i think the difference is - that most people's phones will be more powerful than the Wii U in the next two years. the PS3 could play the long game as it was such a beast.

i think the difference is - that most people's phones will be more powerful than the Wii U in the next two years. the PS3 could play the long game as it was such a beast.

so all that leaves are the games and IP's.

You're right of course. Nintendo need to come up with a killer application for the WiiU. A Brain Training, or a Wii Sports/Wii Fit. A Pokemon. Something that will make the argument about the power of the console redundant. Thing is Nintendo are pretty good at coming up with that stuff. Whether they will or not, well, time will tell.

Did you sleep through 2006? Going from first place to third while losing billions was a disaster for Sony, the PS3 is the biggest financial loss of a console in history, more than the OG Xbox. It's not something for the Wii U to emulate. Plus you were talking about the Wii.

Yes, that's why I mocked this forums myopia with the "long gen" comment. For most people it hasn't been long at all!

Being 'powerful' isn't what the Wii U is all about though. Most phones were more powerfull than the Wii - did that make them great for Wii Sports?

I'm not saying I'd not have liked it to have more power (of course I would), I am just objecting to this mental notion that it's about power and nothing else - because the industry is littered with evidence to the contrary.

I don't know, but why do you need the vouchers? You can just add funds to an account directly using a card (or even buy purchases of any value directly using a card - I picked up Super Metroid for 30p using my card jsut last night).

Makes sense if it's intended as a gift I guess, but if not then just add the funds directly.

Don't want to leave my credit card details after the PSN fiasco.

Game, and yes.

You can pay by exact amounts and not store your card details if you pay by credit card on the eShop though.

EDIT: Oh wait - no, Game doesn't email the codes for points cards, just codes for download cards.

Ok thanks I'll order from Amazon on a next day.

Did you sleep through 2006? Going from first place to third while losing billions was a disaster for Sony, the PS3 is the biggest financial loss of a console in history, more than the OG Xbox. It's not something for the Wii U to emulate. Plus you were talking about the Wii.

I wasn't talking about any of that. Somebody said, I forget who, something about how it's a worrying trend that Nintendo are going down whereas the PS3 is going up up. But the PS3 is only going up up up after being all down down down.