Thor

Elite Dangerous

Not all of them, but you get the picture. I emphasised those that made me decide I agree with him.

I agree with pretty much all the bolded tweets. What I don't agree with is the idea that it's not a valid Kickstarter just because Braben could possibly get the money through other means.

Assuming that is true, it doesn't mean that crowdfunding isn't an option. If enough people are willing to pledge their own money to something in the hope that it comes to fruition, then he has every right to explore that as an option in order to fund the development.

So I'm unemployed and I was about to throw some money into the ring.

And then....I didn't.

What stopped me so far? I've been going on and on since day 1 of RLLMUK that a modern day Elite would be grand.

-Some of the tiers make no sense. The £20 and £30 tiers are exactly the same. That just seems weird.

-There's no details apart from "remember that game we made 30 years ago? We're going to make it again. But better." Given that Chris Roberts has released some stuff and there's some stuff leaking from Valve there's greater competition.

-Finally I don't know if it will work on my rig. And the last time I was unemployed I spent a massive massive chunk of my unemployment payment for the month to buy Frontier. To play on the Amiga 600. I did get my moneys worth out of it later when I played it on my CD32 with SX1 expansion and Fast Ram patched in...but the memory remains.

My finger is hovering over the donate button. But I need more.

Are you sure? The original version is available on GOG btw.

The guy who said Outlast / Outcast wasnt sure of the name, he almost certainly meant The Outsider

I agree with pretty much all the bolded tweets. What I don't agree with is the idea that it's not a valid Kickstarter just because Braben could possibly get the money through other means.

Assuming that is true, it doesn't mean that crowdfunding isn't an option. If enough people are willing to pledge their own money to something in the hope that it comes to fruition, then he has every right to explore that as an option in order to fund the development.

Whereas someone who is probably pitching TV shows left right and center with no real name to trade off is probably more pissed than most

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

-Some of the tiers make no sense. The £20 and £30 tiers are exactly the same. That just seems weird.

It's set up so that the first 10,000 backers can get the game for £20 (if it does get made), whereas anyone else will have to pay £30.

Sorry I got confused. But if you meant Outland all along, then I have good news for you! It came out on XBLA a while back!

I think he meant Out Run, Outpost Kaloki, or maybe even Out of the Park Baseball?

• Upvote 2

I think the cynicism and skepticism about this are entirely justified. Braben has been trying and failing to top Elite for ages.

But. A new Elite. Want.

He has? By doing what?

I think people just feel nostalgic because they played a lot ot Elite in their youth (I have). And Braben knows that, hence the arrogance.

Star Citizen on kickstarter has a pledge of only 500,000, it has already surpassed it and most of the money it has gathered is outside of kickster. That shows a lot of commitment.

They demoed The Outsider extremely well at the Develop conference (years ago) - it looked really good and fairly complete for the simple stuff. I'm surprised they didn't strip back the interactive-story stuff and just made a 3rd person shooter out of it.

It was very much ambition being bigger than budget/ability though which isn't great considering the Elite pitch.

(Which I sort of agree with the more negative folks - I won't be backing it, but if it comes out I might buy it...)

I'm hoping for less rather than more. Space sims have long since left me behind with their complexity and content.

Something VERY like Elite but a with prettier visuals would do the trick for me.

Absolutely.

I don't want to have to spend 20 hours just getting to grips with a fiendishly complex game before I can start to enjoy myself and then still feel like I'm missing out on parts of it.

Elite got so much of my time partly because it was so accessible, with enough depth and replay value to keep me interested.

Update the graphics but keep the same basic gameplay with an optional online component so you can interact with other players if you like, more missions than we had first time round and the ability to change ships and I'll be very happy.

They demoed The Outsider extremely well at the Develop conference (years ago) - it looked really good and fairly complete for the simple stuff. I'm surprised they didn't strip back the interactive-story stuff and just made a 3rd person shooter out of it.

It was very much ambition being bigger than budget/ability though which isn't great considering the Elite pitch.

(Which I sort of agree with the more negative folks - I won't be backing it, but if it comes out I might buy it...)

Cos the people who funded probably dug heels in and demanded they got what they paid for

Got to say I cringed at the "give money and you help shape the game!" line

Trying to make sequels. Actually making sequels. Trying to make stuff like Outsider. Keep up.

Raspberry Pi!

Trying to make sequels. Actually making sequels. Trying to make stuff like Outsider. Keep up.

He hasn't tried to top Elite by doing another Elite for getting on for 20 years though.

He hasn't tried to top Elite by doing another Elite for getting on for 20 years though.

I think he's been trying to. Pretty sure he's mentioned it loads of times over the years. Or was that a dream I had?

What would be amazing would be to make this Raspberry Pi exclusive and come with the full source code.

I cannot seriously comprehend people shaking their heads at the concept of a new elite... *sigh* what have we become?

If you don't like or want a new elite, it's very simple, don't back it..

Edit: Oh, and all the "sequels that haven't made it talk" - that's precisely what Kickstarter is for, helping fund the sequels publishers fell out of love for because they don't sell in their billions on day one.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Also the timing makes me think Braben saw the Not-Wing Commander kickstarter and its success, or else he wouldn't have bothered.

I'd imagine that would be exactly the case, don't see a problem with it really either.

Oh, you mean the 2 sequels 19 and 16 years ago, plus a canned game. Ok then.

Yup, he's been really busy trying to recreate his one game success. Let's give him 1m pounds. :P

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I think he's been trying to. Pretty sure he's mentioned it loads of times over the years. Or was that a dream I had?

I don't think it's fair to say he's tried and failed to top Elite with another Elite if he hasn't released one, yeah it's been mentioned a lot over the years but I've never really seen anything more than talk and suggestion that something is, or might be, being worked on. Pretty vague stuff.

What would be amazing would be to make this Raspberry Pi exclusive and come with the full source code.

Yeah, shame it's not really, a bit different and something to show what can be done with relatively limited resources in the way the original did. I guess if they're being so risk-averse that they're doing the whole thing like this means that something like that would never happen.

Not commenting on the justification, I just want a new Elite, but:

3,056 Backers

£155,274 pledged of £1,250,000 goal

59 days to go

Pretty good for the first day?

I don't think it's fair to say he's tried and failed to top Elite with another Elite if he hasn't released one, yeah it's been mentioned a lot over the years but I've never really seen anything more than talk and suggestion that something is, or might be, being worked on. Pretty vague stuff.

Why would you see anything? I've tried and failed to get tons of projects off the ground you haven't heard of. Do you not believe me because nothing was announced?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why would you see anything? I've tried and failed to get tons of projects off the ground you haven't heard of. Do you not believe me because nothing was announced?

In that case I might as well say I've tried and failed as well then, couldn't decide whether to go with "Elite 4" or "Elite IV" and as a title and scrapped it.

I just mean that there's been little to nothing to say that anything of what's even being even tried (if anything), I don't know one way or another and don't see much evidence that anyone else really does either. Even if it's just continual, glacial evolution and changing ideas and concepts then it doesn't necessarily mean failure, I'd only say it's failed when they say "I've had a go, it hasn't worked, we've given up entirely".

So he's been trying all these Elite prototypes but somehow messed them all up for the last 15 years, never releasing anything while no one ever heard of any of them, and then decided to release Kinectimals and announce that he is working on an ambtitious 3rd person, which was canned?

And that's proof that he's been trying?

You don't have an argument here, just let it go.

• Downvote 10

So he's been trying all these Elite prototypes but somehow messed them all up for the last 15 years, never releasing anything while no one ever heard of any of them,

From what I've heard from people who know folk at Frontier it's been an ongoing project for a while, even if it's never really gone above 4-5 developers in the past few years. The dynamic animation stuff they did for the Elite 4 demo back in 2001 wound up being used in the Outsider demo and ultimately worked into Kinectimals, AFAIK.

• Upvote 2

So he's been trying all these Elite prototypes but somehow messed them all up for the last 15 years, never releasing anything while no one ever heard of any of them, and then decided to release Kinectimals and announce that he is working on an ambtitious 3rd person, which was canned?

Yes.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1