Thor

Elite Dangerous

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

This is possibly stupider than the last thing I posted but could someone mount a rescue? Get your SRV on the roof of a small exploration ship and gently fly you out of there?

Heh, I dunno, maybe.

But I'm so far out (34klys from SOL) and it is only my SRV after all. But if I can't land on planets anymore (self-destructing you SRV just sends you back to your ship without it) then half the fun is gone AND if I need materials for repair then I wouldn't be able to get them. It'll be a looong road back anyway, bound to find some more things of interest before the end.

Well, I did a bit of engineering. I was sceptical at first but it turned out that I had a lot of the mechanical parts from my brief stint bounty hunting in the October. So it amounted to about 15 minutes of hanging around outside a busy nearby space station scanning FSD wakes, an hour of enjoyably bouncing around catching floating minerals on a 0.02G planet I'd scanned on a passenger run, and the a trip back to Farseer.

The Claw can now cover 44.93 ly in a single jump, thanks to a 44% grade-4 upgrade, without breaking its stripped-down power plant's budget. I'm not sure I'll even bother hunting down stuff the Class 5 upgrade that's available, at least not purposefully, because, holy crap, I can go just about anywhere.

I do want upgraded surface scan probes though, and more engineering in general, so I think I'll keep at my routine of doing long-range passenger missions, exploring on the way, and now also scanning FSD wakes and landing on the occasional interesting-looking planet to prospect for materials. However for manufactured materials I think I should take up a little bounty hunting again, and as man with simple tastes and 50M credits in the bank I'm thinking of the Vulture.

• Upvote 2

Actually, I'm having second thoughts about the Vulture now that I've played around. It seems like its two large hardpoints give me basically the same damage output I had with my Cobra with its two medium and two small ones. Is 3x the base hull integrity and a little more agility really worth the higher cost and low jump range? There's more scope for upgrading the integrity but that pushes the cost up even higher.

Maybe I should just off my old ship and improve its shields?

I've had a pretty productive weekend, even though I did some stupid things I managed to earn my first million.

What stupid things, you ask?

Well, imagine me taking on 5 transport missions to a distant system. Checking the map and plotting the route told me it'd take me eight jumps to get there. Sounded good to me, so I accepted all five missions and launched my ship.

Made the first jump, no problem. Allign the ship for the second jump, and I get en error saying mass exceeds jump distance or something to that effect.

Well, that's just great. At this point I'm still flying the standard nothing-upgraded-or-added sidewinder. Calling up the galaxy map and furiously trying to find a route that would get me to my destination yields no results, and I decide to give up. And as I plot a return course for the system I came from, stupid stupid me cancels all five contracts and jettison the cargo I was suppose to deliver, giving myself a fine in the process.

What makes matters even worse, is that right after I paid my fine I upgraded my ship's core modules, effectively increasing my jump distance enough to change that eight jump journey into two manageable jumps.

As an afterthought I also bought a fuel scoop, and wonder why I've waited so long getting one.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Actually, I'm having second thoughts about the Vulture now that I've played around. It seems like its two large hardpoints give me basically the same damage output I had with my Cobra with its two medium and two small ones. Is 3x the base hull integrity and a little more agility really worth the higher cost and low jump range? There's more scope for upgrading the integrity but that pushes the cost up even higher.

Maybe I should just off my old ship and improve its shields?

It’s not a little more agile, it’s much more agile ... From my memory anyway. I hate the vulture because the canopy cracks in a split second so I got the FDL and have been killing things with it ever since. 

Edit: the DPS output of two Large Beams is higher than two medium and two small, I think. The powerpoint and distributor can handle running two Large Beams without overheating much so your time pouring damage onto a target, when combined with its nimbleness, is much higher than most other ships. You’ll still need to be tactical about how, when, and whom you engage - you probably shouldn’t take on wings by yourself and should definitely wait till you’re ten feet behind their drive cones to engage. Polmon was using a vulture for a long time just targeting power plants and it made him millions. 

That being said, it can be unforgiving if you get outmaneuvered; the canopy is very exposed and pretty fragile. I have had to run back to station on life support more than a few times in a vulture which causes its own host of problems; the HUD disappears from the portions of the glass that have blown out so getting back to the station without overshooting can be a pain, especially if you don’t have much margin for error, so I’d consider getting upgraded life support if you’re rolling with a vulture.

Edited by Floshenbarnical
Wanted to give a more balanced informative opinion
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

It’s not a little more agile, it’s much more agile ... From my memory anyway. I hate the vulture because the canopy cracks in a split second so I got the FDL and have been killing things with it ever since. 

Edit: the DPS output of two Large Beams is higher than two medium and two small, I think. The powerpoint and distributor can handle running two Large Beams without overheating much so your time pouring damage onto a target, when combined with its nimbleness, is much higher than most other ships. You’ll still need to be tactical about how, when, and whom you engage - you probably shouldn’t take on wings by yourself and should definitely wait till you’re ten feet behind their drive cones to engage. Polmon was using a vulture for a long time just targeting power plants and it made him millions. 

That being said, it can be unforgiving if you get outmaneuvered; the canopy is very exposed and pretty fragile. I have had to run back to station on life support more than a few times in a vulture which causes its own host of problems; the HUD disappears from the portions of the glass that have blown out so getting back to the station without overshooting can be a pain, especially if you don’t have much margin for error, so I’d consider getting upgraded life support if you’re rolling with a vulture.

Fantastic, thanks. I think this might be one of those things where the stats on Coriolis and in the game aren't very helpful, or more likely I'm not understanding them properly. Is it worth sticking with beams exclusively and no multi-cannon then? I was using half and half on my Cobra, firing lasers until the shields come down and then added the cannons when my target's shields dropped on the basis that they're supposed to be more efficient for physical damage. I don't have much experience to say whether it was effective.

I'm hoping to learn to fight more effectively and avoid getting hit, so a ship that can't take too much damage would not be the worst thing. Honestly I've been tempted to try an Eagle, I'm still on Mostly Harmless so there's a tonne of work I could do before I faced a real threat. But that might be too much of a learning curve.

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Fantastic, thanks. I think this might be one of those things where the stats on Coriolis and in the game aren't very helpful, or more likely I'm not understanding them properly. Is it worth sticking with beams exclusively and no multi-cannon then? I was using half and half on my Cobra, firing lasers until the shields come down and then added the cannons when my target's shields dropped on the basis that they're supposed to be more efficient for physical damage. I don't have much experience to say whether it was effective.

I'm hoping to learn to fight more effectively and avoid getting hit, so a ship that can't take too much damage would not be the worst thing. Honestly I've been tempted to try an Eagle, I'm still on Mostly Harmless so there's a tonne of work I could do before I faced a real threat. But that might be too much of a learning curve.

My advice is to buy an Eagle and find a ringed gas planet with High RES sites and a station a few LS from it in orbit, if you want to get a grip on combat. The cops will do most of the legwork and you can focus on staying on your target’s six and practicing maneuvers while still raking in cash. I recommend the Eagle because it is very agile, is the best looking shop, and is shockingly cheap to rebuy so mistakes don’t matter so much. That’s also why I recommended a station right next to the RES site; if you’re destroyed, you’ll respawn a short flight away (be sure to dock there first). The Cobra is for sure a better ship, but it costs more to rebuy. 

And don’t worry about about the learning curve; every pilot started where you are now and I still get my stern handed to me now and again. Check out some tutorial videos, keep your throttle in the blue zone for max maneuverability, and try to forget ever having flown a fighter jet in a game before because it will hold you back. “The enemy’s base is down” etc. 

As far as a laser/ mini gun build goes, YMMV. Many players use a mix because their distributor can’t handle an all-laser build (my FDL can’t without significant Efficient Laser engineering), many who can use an all-laser build so they don’t have to resupply, some players use novelty setups just for shits and giggles. Railguns + missiles, mines only, the list goes on.

If you want a combat specific ship that is relatively cheap and actually pretty good, you might want to watch Vindicator Jones or ObsidianAnt merking high-level ships in a Viper MK III. Pretty entertaining and VJ has a thing on the screen showing you his strafing thruster inputs so you can learn from that pretty well. 

Are you on PS4?

• Upvote 2

Yep, PS4. I’ll mess about with the Eagle for a bit before I try the Vultire then, thanks.

Possibly a dumb question, but does the FSD wake scanner override your current destination system in favour of the one you just scanned? I had a route locked in and after scanning some wakes, when I hit the jump key it charged up a jump to another destination entirely.

Yes. 

You can usually find your plotted route jump at the bottom of the list of destinations in the left hand screen, simply select and then jump if you've been scanning wakes.

It was still selected, which is weird.  The destination lock didn’t change until I actually hit the Hyperspace button. I had to manually deselect and reselect my intended system.

Yeah, flying in a Haz RES with a garbage-loadout Eagle that comes in a box of 100 for 1M credits is pretty fun. Might need to toughen it up a little bit, but it's fun to just shift around in.

I'm slowly making my way back to normal space before deciding on what to do next. I've taken a few pics on my travels...

image.png.ae452b54a6506cbe3c19f23465f6e9ca.png

image.png.48a83c3fdd9ef969530cbd0a4eb91c6c.png

image.png.11b3ec7d9d74ef3c53386a74e0108ffd.png

image.png.5a977bc4b67d3ff3df0bd069bb4d93cf.png

• Upvote 6

23 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Yep, PS4. I’ll mess about with the Eagle for a bit before I try the Vultire then, thanks.

Possibly a dumb question, but does the FSD wake scanner override your current destination system in favour of the one you just scanned? I had a route locked in and after scanning some wakes, when I hit the jump key it charged up a jump to another destination entirely.

Be sure to map “Next destination in route” to a button combo.” Helps with exploration; if you have a route plotted you can go scan that valuable planet and return to star-hopping quickly. 

Be sure to fuck around turning flight assist off. You have to be surgical, but I can link you to some excellent YouTube tutorials when I’m out of Dublin airport. It really helps outmaneuvering your foes - they use it - and when you get the hang of it just docking makes you feel like a leaf on the wind. 

Consider getting a HOTAS. 

• Upvote 1

Discovered the joy of fighters earlier. Very nippy and fun to fly at low altitude in canyons and mountains. So of course, I'm now on a mission to get a Guardian Fighter. Some pics of my mission so far:

image.png.b2b2c0be807abae563995d3b3c826044.png

image.png.a7d1f6e99bdc583e1a962cfce626d306.png

image.png.22286e479d45b243796eaf4710168ff9.png

• Upvote 5

Got my Trident Guardian Fighter, now I'm back with my anaconda, and have specced it out for combat and exploration. Of course, I've had to compromise here and there, so if I fire the huge 4C beam laser and the two 3C beams, I expect the power distributor will deplete quickly. I really need to give the ship a full field-test. But it has reasonable shields, two SRVs, a fighter hanger, over 100t cargo space should I need it, and still with 60ly jump range.

Might go to Colonia with this.

15 hours ago, Thor said:

Got my Trident Guardian Fighter, now I'm back with my anaconda, and have specced it out for combat and exploration. Of course, I've had to compromise here and there, so if I fire the huge 4C beam laser and the two 3C beams, I expect the power distributor will deplete quickly. I really need to give the ship a full field-test. But it has reasonable shields, two SRVs, a fighter hanger, over 100t cargo space should I need it, and still with 60ly jump range.

Might go to Colonia with this.

Was there a grind for the new fighters?

Just seen this:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/444378-Quick-Guide-to-Guardian-Fighters

Yeah, it wasn't too bad as I'd already got most of the mats from when I was doing it for the Guardian FSD boosters ages ago.

I don't think the Trident is actually as good as the Condor, but it looks and sounds cool as fuck, and is amazing to fly around asteroid fields. 

I gave the Anaconda a field test earlier in a High HAZ Res site. It was great. I've removed the huge hardpoint and installed 20 repair limpets instead. 

I'm sorely tempted to sign up to DW2 with this.

I tried for another hour or two, searching for a way out of my caverness prison when... what's this? the ship is coming down! It's coming down into the cavern! It's stopping 20m above the ground and I can't get in... bugger. But @Alex W. had planted the seed... maybe I could ride it back up? Maybe...?

Bugger, should have repaired my SRV before trying to ride a ship out of a canyon. Oh well, decision made, I'm on my way back to mukhang- i'll hand in my data at a base owned by the symposium, should help them a little... maybe.

• Upvote 2

Here are some shots of my shakedown run in the HAZ Rez.

image.png.59f85acab932eae1c49eda58b53188b5.png

image.png.af17b5dfb4b0f9f5492f396af0e3f41b.png

image.png.cfdf93413fa96dff241ff42002eb1cc5.png

I'll see if I can put together a Coriolis link to my ship's loadout.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Here's a link to my ship: https://s.orbis.zone/1vqm

Very nice. I would say that I don't think you'll need two AFMUs - they are very easy to restock (very common materials), most of the time being used on the FSD. I've used mine loads and it's still on more than 90%. Unlikely to need one to fix the other, which I presume is the only reason to have two.

• Upvote 1

On my way back now - still 25klys out - but am still stumbling over some nice discoveries.

This crazy Neutron star system, binary with another large star nearby was pretty intense, juggling the jetcone and refuelling!

22.thumb.jpg.b05438f3df6c845f466046302f9dcfef.jpg

The neutron and it's close companion whip around each other every 5 hours or so! While the third star - a tiny bit further out orbits the two of them in 3.2 days.

23.thumb.jpg.7e264f40f79fa5d29f3beed3d02b6855.jpg

And another unclaimed earthlike - it's all I'm stopping to map on the way back now. :)

24.thumb.jpg.5e26935c43ce95422cb61b71d1b936e3.jpg

• Upvote 2

Sort of. To maintain the 60ly jump range, the Huge 4C Beam laser had to go. So I put a mining laser in there, half as a joke, and half because I think you can still get some materials (germanium and the like) from asteroids without needing a refinery. I may be wrong, though. 

Despite updating my build with more appropriate shielding, and a refinery after your comments. I've decided to re-kit it purely for exploration and repair. I just got ganked by a wing of three. If it wasn't for the local authorities intevening, I'd have been toast! Which makes me think if I did end up in a massive scrape while exploring, I'd also be toast, irrespective of the arsenal at my disposal. 

There are no NPC bad guys outside the bubble, at least away from Thargoid space.

I'm back! Haven't have in my data yet, but am interested to see how much it all sells for. I must have discovered forty or more neutrons alone...