Thor

Elite Dangerous

Which has literally nothing to do with what I just said. In fact, it even includes the precise things that are missing from this pitch:

Technical drawings, CAD designs, sketches, and other parts of the design process will continue to be allowed. Seeing the guts of the creative process is important. We love that stuff.

(relating to hardware projects specifically, that, but it's what I expect to see. If you state that you've been developing something for years, I expect something to show for it. Otherwise your pitch begins to look like a lot of hot air)

The fact he (& Bell) invented the genre does help.

Another good point. Braben was 50% of the original back in the day. The amount of work/resources required to create the same game by today's standard go beyond what I think Braben is capable of based on the games they've pushed out since. By all accounts, Outsider was technically ambitious, Elite would be no less ambitious.

What do you reckon?

Neither of which scream out, "we're capable of creating a open-world, procedurally based space sim". The technology involved in doing this goes beyond those games.

It's been done before, plus others have works on far more impressive procedural space simulators. http://en.spaceengine.org/ It's not exactly beyond the realms of possibility that someone who's been working on this for about ten years to have something similar up and running.

I don't believe they have been working on this at all. Dropping the Elite name there now and then keeps their name in the press (all IMO of course).

From what I've heard around the office there have definitely been a few people constantly on this project for a loooong time.

Are they BFFs again?

Also, March 2014?! Argh!

And how does Kickstarter work. Does the money get taken straight away or when/if the target is hit? And I assume no refund if game is canned?

I'd think Mr. Braben is old and wise enough to fully realise he's putting his ass and reputation on the line here. At the moment he is that legendary game developer. Now he's making 'the internet' - you know, those spoiled, entitled, strongly-opinionated mouthbreathers - the publisher of his new game. If he fucks up, he will be ridiculed forever.

Of course he may be overplaying his hand here, but frankly I think - I hope - he knows exactly what he's doing.

• Upvote 2

He was 100% of the sequels and Virus. Please don't make out like Braben doesn't know how to make a procedurally generated space simulation or make games for modern platforms. He has done both, many times.

• Upvote 2

Ι just don't see what a new Elite has to offer when in this day and age we have EVE Online or X3 series (not to mention the amazing mods for Freelancer). It has to offer more than that to take my money. And Star Citizen does seem to offer more than that, especially since it's "cinematic" campaign is only a small part of the sandbox.

Ι just don't see what a new Elite has to offer when in this day and age we have EVE Online or X3 series (not to mention the amazing mods for Freelancer). It has to offer more than that to take my money. And Star Citizen does seem to offer more than that, especially since it's "cinematic" campaign is only a small part of the sandbox.

I'm hoping for less rather than more. Space sims have long since left me behind with their complexity and content.

Something VERY like Elite but a with prettier visuals would do the trick for me.

• Upvote 4

It's been done before, plus others have works on far more impressive procedural space simulators. http://en.spaceengine.org/ It's not exactly beyond the realms of possibility that someone who's been working on this for about ten years to have something similar up and running.

From what I've heard around the office there have definitely been a few people constantly on this project for a loooong time.

If it's been in active development then that changes things somewhat :-)

At the moment he is that legendary game developer.

Is this not based on his glory days?

He was 100% of the sequels and Virus. Please don't make out like Braben doesn't know how to make a procedurally generated space simulation or make games for modern platforms. He has done both, many times.

He knows what he wants to do, whether they (the dev team) can deliver that is another question.

It does? Last I checked id software was way behind its FPS peers today.

Good point, is the consensus that the modern Elite-like titles are ahead of the original Elite(s)?

I'm hoping for less rather than more. Space sims have long since left me behind with their complexity and content.

Something VERY like Elite but a with prettier visuals would do the trick for me.

Yeah, if they can take it back to basics- one ship, 100 credits, a boundless universe of options- and throw in a bit of multiplayer? Good.

• Upvote 1

This. I'm hoping that they'll just build us the toys and press Go. See what happens.

Space Citizen looks AMAZING! I've already backed that one. But, after a while the visuals aren't important. Chivalry is the best first person game i've played it years. It doesn't exactly look amazing.

Braben's approach is likely (IMO) based on how clever can he be in terms of procedurally generating everything. How big a universe can he make etc. rather than how much fun will this be to play. As such there's a risk there for sure but we might get something amazing. It's a gamble but one I'm happy to make.

We have a long track record of delivering high quality games on time and to budget

Not in the past few years. The Outsider, anyone? Frontier's only successes - and I dunno if you can call them much of one, because I don't know the sales as they were on WiiWare initially - were Lost Winds and its sequel. Both of which were very small scale projects.

I'm not sure about this, tbh, even though I've been wanting a new Elite for years. It just doesn't seem that Kickstarter was made for this kind of project, and certainly not for a pitch with so little to show for it. Elite is clearly a game which could be funded by a publisher and given a big budget. Is $1.25 million going to actually fund a proper Elite sequel? Or is this just effectively a viral marketing campaign for later publisher interest? I suspect it's more the latter. Agree with the intended result, don't agree with the method.

I hope it takes place in our own galaxy. I find it adds a lot to a space sim and it was one of the best things about Frontier - having that reference point that you can pinpoint and call home adds an amazing perspective, and one thing I found missing in many other space titles.

Not in the past few years. The Outsider, anyone? Frontier's only successes - and I dunno if you can call them much of one, because I don't know the sales as they were on WiiWare initially - were Lost Winds and its sequel. Both of which were very small scale projects.

They also made Kinectimals. but yeah, can't really say enough about The Outsider.

He's a very busy man. think this will have his full attention, think again

Lot of naysayers. Just because Braben's pitch doesn't include a half finished game like some of the others. It's completely within the spirit of kickstarter. He has a track record and the pitch does state that it's as much a test of demand as a fundraiser. Maybe he's not in a position to finance the building of half a game before asking if anyone's interested.

I think that's the crux of my issue. From my perspective, in terms of Elite, his track record is releasing Elite (which I freely admit was mindblowing at the time), then releasing Frontier (which was great), then releasing First Encounters (which was arguably poor) then doing nothing for 15+ years whilst teasing that the sequel has been on the go the whole time.

Now, the formula of the original game has been copied and reproduced in countless games - everything from Freelancer and X by Egosoft, carrying through to influencing open world titles like Just Cause 2. A true sequel to Elite is naturally a lot more than a visual upgrade.

I'd of course love Frontier to make a new game with the scope of the original Elite; I just need more from Braben than a bit of text describing the obvious elements we'd expect to be in place before I'd consider backing it.

"Kickstarter shouldn't be for testing market interest."

That's not nailing it, I just think that's wrong. It's not just testing for interest, there's still (hopefully) the implementation behind it. It's the same whether you need 1k,10k,100k if there's no market interest then it doesn't happen. If there is, it can go ahead. People have been banging on about how much they want Elite for ages, but even with that I'd be really, really worried about people going for it in reality if it wasn't funded this way. The amount of people who will be expecting this and that then bitching when they don't get precisely the exact experience they've been feverishly fantasising about for decades could quite easily bury Braben forever. It might tarnish his reputation anyway depending on the quality of the outcome, but at least his company will likely be able to carry on.

Yeah, I've just read his tweets and I agree with him 100% to be brutally honest.

As I can't read his tweets (he blocked me last year :blush:), anyone care to elaborate?

More importantly: is he on the right side (that this seems both cynical and unpromising), or the wrong side (that this is the best thing ever)?

"Kickstarter shouldn't be for testing market interest."

That's not nailing it, I just think that's wrong. It's not just testing for interest, there's still (hopefully) the implementation behind it. It's the same whether you need 1k,10k,100k if there's no market interest then it doesn't happen. If there is, it can go ahead. People have been banging on about how much they want Elite for ages, but even with that I'd be really, really worried about people going for it in reality if it wasn't funded this way. The amount of people who will be expecting this and that then bitching when they don't get precisely the exact experience they've been feverishly fantasising about for decades could quite easily bury Braben forever. It might tarnish his reputation anyway depending on the quality of the outcome, but at least his company will likely be able to carry on.

I agree, Kickstarter means just that. I couldn't help smiling earlier at the person who wanted a 'proper' pitch though.

The thing is though Braben's not a lone bedroom coder any more as much as people would like to think he is, and the fact he's using people's reliance on that image to get money when he's had such a high profile failure as The Outsider is what is understandably irksome.

As I can't read his tweets (he blocked me last year :blush:), anyone care to elaborate?

More importantly: is he on the right side (that this seems both cynical and unpromising), or the wrong side (that this is the best thing ever)?

Here ya go:

We all want a new Elite, but Braben's Kickstarter would look shaky as fuck coming from some unknown guy.

ELITE: BLIND FAITH

I'm David Braben. Remember Elite? Give me a million pounds.

I don't believe for one minute that Braben couldn't find that funding elsewhere. This is one of dem cynical ol Kickstarters.

It's the arrogance of Braben's pitch that is annoying me. No detail. It is PURELY "Hi, remember Elite? Give me money."

I can't believe I actually just tweeted "FUCK ELITE".

I wish Sega would Kickstarter a Shenmue game, the fucking idiots.

"There is also the fact that as long as we hit the threshold, it commits us to making the game." A real passion project, this new Elite.

Let's do a Kickstarter called "Now That's What I Call Shameless Part 1" where we ask for a million quid for a compilation of ten small games from ten small teams who have been paired with writers to make the most uncommercial games ever released. I'll team with some weirdos to make a game called "Lovecraft's Final Hours: The Disco Musical." Frankie Boyle can team with some weirdos to make "The Eye of Providence: Puzzle Jam."

Braben talks for over a decade about doing a new Elite. He only does it when we mugs take the financial risk. NEW AGE SHIT.

Here's the thing with Kickstarter - you need to be respectful with that pitch. Respect the people you are asking for money.

Not all of them, but you get the picture. I emphasised those that made me decide I agree with him. Also the timing makes me think Braben saw the Not-Wing Commander kickstarter and its success, or else he wouldn't have bothered.

Suspended indefinitely.

6 days ago it was still "on":

http://redbarrelsgames.com/index.html

Red Barrels, Developers of Outlast, Uncover Shocking Footage from Mount Massive Asylum

MONTREAL – Oct. 31, 2012 – Red Barrels today revealed shocking footage of the happenings within Mount Massive Asylum, a facility owned by the Murkof Corporation, sent to them by veteran journalist Miles Upshur. Upshur’s accompanying message has been published in its entirety below, the video itself can be viewed.

The footage, sent by an anonymous source, was accompanied by a message from the investigative reporter who captured the video, Miles Upshur. His note has been published in its entirety below, and the footage itself can be viewed here.

Red Barrels strongly encourages the viewing of this video, although many may find it terrifying to view.

• Upvote 1

Also, look at the Project Eternity kickstarter. They didn't have any game or footage or even concept art ready to show off, but their passion and excitement about making a new RPG like the ones they used to make in the good ol' days was palpable. At least pretend to be happy about the prospect of being able to make the kind of game you supposedly love making.