Elite Dangerous - Thargoids declare WAR!

Thor

3 hours ago, K said:

It'd be good if there was some method of tracking down high-value bounties in-game (assuming there isn't already). It'd make bounty hunting more interesting if you could actually track down notorious players or NPCs, and it might curb griefing as well.

You can view the top bounties in a system via station services, with info on the last system each bounty was sighted in. Would be good if there was more to it than that, though.

1 minute ago, revlob said:

I'm a Post Captain! Just one more promotion before I can buy my Corvette. At this rank, delivering 20 data missions moved me from 14% to 19%. So, assuming all missions were created equally, that's just over 320 missions to go...

Nice. I need to work on my Fed rank at some point - I think I'm only a Lieutenant at the moment.

I got a gold paintjob as part of the 'commander pack' when I pre-ordered the game, so I assume it's been just made available more widely. Probably not worth £3 I would say, it's less brilliant than it appears on the store page.

I watched an ObsidianAnt YouTube video about the route plotting changes in 2.4 today. It really is lightning quick compared to what we have now - it seemed to take less time to plot a 20kly journey for him that it does to plot a 1kly journey for me right now. And the jet cone plotting, whilst obviously taking much longer, looks essential for long-distance travel.

Brilliantly, the 2.4 beta has crashed so badly for me I can’t even launch the main game past the Frontier Dev splash screen anymore. :angry:

That’ll be a fun reinstall on my slow as shit “broadband”.

@DonRumsfeld it should be, yeah. All updates come out simultaneously to each platform.

I've been doing a passenger mission for the last three days (with a few detours along the way). Didn't realise how far it would be, it's my first go at this type of mission, but was determined to complete it tonight. Right moaning cow she was, complaining all the time and criticising. Couldn't wait to get rid of her. Anyway, got to the final destination and she announces that I now need to take her back to the starting point! Chuffin' bugger I thinks, still, better get on with it so I can cash in my reward. So off we go on the more direct, return journey. Then, with three jumps left to our destination, she announces that I've taken too long and the mission is failed! To add insult, the cheeky cow somehow managed to eject my passenger cabin as part of the bargain. Bloody frustrating this game at times! Then I noticed the new Community goal and set off in search of cigars.

@Strategos I don't think 2.4 is going to make progression any easier, but with some fairly significant-sounding changes coming with regards to mission availability, it's hard to know exactly what kind of an impact to expect. It does sound like they've closed loopholes in stacking scanning/massacre missions, but those were cash-earning strategies, rather than rank-earning strategies.

What might actually end up having more of a detrimental effect on those seeking to grind ranks are the claims that mission boards are now more "varied". I mean, that's a good thing for players, but it might mean that it'll get harder to find data missions. It might now take longer to fill up your transaction tab with missions of the same type.

I mentioned upthread that data missions were the fastest way to earn promotions, but I was wrong. The single fastest way is through donation missions. These just require you to pay a varying amount of credits to complete, so no travel required at all, and they have a much larger effect on your naval rank than anything else I've seen. The jury's out whether there's any difference in progression between a mission which requires you to pay 25K and one which requires you to pay 500K, but it's generally believed the lower the donation, the better. I sat in Niu Hsing last night, and probably burnt through about 20-30 million credits just doing donation missions, but it gave me the last 50% I needed for Rear Admiral.

1 minute ago, revlob said:

@Strategos I don't think 2.4 is going to make progression any easier, but with some fairly significant-sounding changes coming with regards to mission availability, it's hard to know exactly what kind of an impact to expect. It does sound like they've closed loopholes in stacking scanning/massacre missions, but those were cash-earning strategies, rather than rank-earning strategies.

What might actually end up having more of a detrimental effect on those seeking to grind ranks are the claims that mission boards are now more "varied". I mean, that's a good thing for players, but it might mean that it'll get harder to find data missions. It might now take longer to fill up your transaction tab with missions of the same type.

I mentioned upthread that data missions were the fastest way to earn promotions, but I was wrong. The single fastest way is through donation missions. These just require you to pay a varying amount of credits to complete, so no travel required at all, and they have a much larger effect on your naval rank than anything else I've seen. The jury's out whether there's any difference in progression between a mission which requires you to pay 25K and one which requires you to pay 500K, but it's generally believed the lower the donation, the better. I sat in Niu Hsing last night, and probably burnt through about 20-30 million credits just doing donation missions, but it gave me the last 50% I needed for Rear Admiral.

Thanks, that's some exciting gameplay right there! Well done FDev! :P

I thought , say for example you find a federation system in Civil war you could stack massacre missions and get a big cash + rep payout. Multiplying your effort, which will now be removed. Same with surface scan missions etc. If that's gone surely rank grinding will be loads slower.

PS4 Owners is the game perfectly playable on the controller or do I need to look at spending more money on a flight stick?

I understand the better throttle control & apparently it is easier to land with a flight stick but I'd rather spend the £50 to £70 quid on some games instead.

There's no need to get a flight stick as such, the game is perfectly playable on pad.  In the early days I played it a reasonable amount on PC with an Xbox 360 pad and it was fine.

The thing is though, it is better with a a HOTAS setup and you may find you want to upgrade at some point.

I'm assuming you can't setup a control profile that uses both the HOTAS and the pad?  I must admit that on PC I've never relied 100% on the stick as I've always had a mouse handy for galaxy map stuff.  Looking around used to be a throttle button to enable free look, then the HAT switch to look.  That's not a problem anymore though as I only play in VR nowadays.

I can see how using stick only would be frustrating and I'm surprised you can't use both on PS4, I remember being able to use a combo of pad and wheel on Project Cars for example.

12 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

looking around the cockpit is nowhere near as intuitive (and you can't fucking invert! twats)

That's mental. The option's right there on the PC when you set the headlook axis, so I can only assume the PS4 has a different controls config setup.

Im thinking about using a steering wheel and pedals for the buggy I really dislike driving it with the HOTAS.

How many buttons does the PS4 stick have? I find the X-55 has just enough , and it has more than most I think.

I'm a 100% diamond tipped idiot :(

I got blown up in my wonderful 'A' graded mk lll Cobra last night, the one I'd spent around 8 million credits and the last month or so, speccing up to just how I wanted. She was called 'We Own The Stars' and had a lovely orange and white paint job with a full body kit fitted. Looked totally amazing and was a joy to ride.

Now I've made quite a few insurance claims to get her back in the past, but last night I somehow managed to select the free sidewinder replacement option by mistake and now I've lost her, it's like she never existed. I feel genuinely upset about this. Ship is gone along with all the components and modules I fitted. Some of them with Farseer mods too. 

Is there a way to get her back? I can't see anything now except the free sidey in my ship options. I have around 20 million in the bank, so starting a new Cobra (or something completely fresh) is an option, but I just feel like that is both a waste of my savings and all the time I spent building her, not to mention the incredible journeys we had taken together. I'm so, so gutted about this. What a fucking plum I am.

That sucks to hear, @multiclunk. Short of following LeChuck's suggestion, I'm not sure there's much you can do to recover an engineered module. Perhaps you should look at this as a reason to seek even better modules!

This game can be brutal at times. Just yesterday I accidentally discarded my entire stock of a very rare material I'd been stockpiling, when I only wanted to get rid of one or two. There's no confirmation, just beep and they're gone.

1 minute ago, Captain LeChuck said:

oh yes indeed. If you get blown up, your escape pod goes back to the last station you were at. You then have a choice: Lose the ship, and pay nothing; or Pay the insurance, which is calculated as a fraction of the total asset value. If you don't have the money to pay the insurance...

..you go into debt, which gets paid off as a percentage of your earnings.

Thanks for the responses guys, think I'll just put this one down as a lesson learned and move onward with something different & a new start to more space adventures.

Loved that Cobra though, RIP 'We Own The Stars'.

Dunno what I'm going to go for next but I'm naming her 'The Stars My Destination'

This game is so very good, I didn't think anything would stop me playing more Zelda on Switch (over 200 hours into it) but this has, after sitting in my Xbox pile of shame for over a year and 2 or 3 aborted attempts to get going with it, this time it's clicked and I look forward to playing it every day - until yesterday's calamity of course. But I'm just gonna get back on that horse and gallop off to infinity. AND BEYOND!!!!!*

* sorry

• Thor changed the title to Elite Dangerous - Thargoids declare WAR!