Elite Dangerous - Thargoids declare WAR!

Thor

5 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Join usssssss.

I bought the Thrustmaster Hotas yesterday. For the first couple of hours I wasn't sold. I was doing better with my joypad. You also lose some functionality, looking around the cockpit is nowhere near as good as with a joypad, and there are no buttons to make up for the touchpad options you have. So you're relying on more button combos.

However, the level of control the hotas affords the player renders all that pretty much irrelevant. Have to say, the real game changer is actually the throttle more than the stick. More precise (not to mention easier) throttle control is a big advantage in combat. 

I still need to tweak the settings, as I'm finding the vertical thrusters all but useless thanks to the default buttons and their placement, and I used those a lot when flying with a pad. But yeah, overall I'm impressed, and it's a whole new level of immersion. Makes flying the Anaconda even more fun. :D

Picked up mine today too. Not had chance to use it yet likes, but for anyone else tempted (PS4), it was reduced to £47.99 today as a clearance item at Argos.

5 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I still need to tweak the settings, as I'm finding the vertical thrusters all but useless thanks to the default buttons and their placement, and I used those a lot when flying with a pad. 

My recommendation would be to use all of the buttons on the throttle as shifters for the hat switch.  The unshifted hat should be your vertical/horizontal thrusters, then by using the buttons as shifters you can map all the controls you'll ever need (and some you probably won't) to the hat.

I concur with that, Sharky. Unshifted hat for thrusters works terrifically, and the buttons on the throttle can be used to shift any other stick button too. I like to keep my fire buttons without shifts, though, just to ensure a slipped thumb doesn't result in my blasting a station instead of lowering my landing gear or something. I find it helpful to mentally assign each throttle button an overall area, so "engine" for example is the shifter for distributing power (hat), boosting (L3), etc, while "ship" is the shifter allowing lowering of landing gear, cargo scoop, or turning on the lights. 

Another thing I found useful is assigning the paddle on the back of the throttle to thrust forward/backward. This comes in very handy when landing, as I have more control over my ship when I can just hold the thrust to inch into position rather than manage the throttle position.

It's a complex game with a lot of controls to set up, so it's worth finding somewhere you can experiment and taking an evening to do just that. 

26 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I concur with that, Sharky. Unshifted hat for thrusters works terrifically, and the buttons on the throttle can be used to shift any other stick button too. I like to keep my fire buttons without shifts, though, just to ensure a slipped thumb doesn't result in my blasting a station instead of lowering my landing gear or something. I find it helpful to mentally assign each throttle button an overall area, so "engine" for example is the shifter for distributing power (hat), boosting (L3), etc, while "ship" is the shifter allowing lowering of landing gear, cargo scoop, or turning on the lights. 

Another thing I found useful is assigning the paddle on the back of the throttle to thrust forward/backward. This comes in very handy when landing, as I have more control over my ship when I can just hold the thrust to inch into position rather than manage the throttle position.

That's pretty much exactly how I do it too, one button is targeting on the hat, another FSD, another weapon systems etc.  I do use one single shifted fire button; one of the throttle buttons and secondary fire retracts hardpoints, but that's it, as it's too dangerous otherwise as you mention.

I currently have the paddle on the back of the throttle set to tab through the menus when the side panels are open, which works well for me.  I've never needed thrust forward/backwards as that's what the main throttle does.

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

What? I bought mine from Argos yesterday for £52.99, and that was listed as clearance. It's only a fiver, but still!

Mine was £46.99, also listed as clearance :wacko: we've all got a bargain though I think as they're originally quite a bit more pricey. 

17 hours ago, revlob said:

Find out what type of rock drops the material you need. You're probably looking for something rare or very rare, like the arsenic you need for G5 FSD mods, and those kinds of materials can only be found in mesosiderite and metallic meteorites. Very, very occasionally, you can find rare materials in outcrops, but it's so uncommon I wouldn't bother stopping for them.

Learn how to identify the above rock types on your wave scanner. Use http://wavescanner.net/ to see examples.

Find a planet which has what you need. The higher the percentage, the better.

Land somewhere flat-ish, but not too devoid of features. Drive off, looking for the wave signatures of the rock types you're after, and ignore everything else.

Pray to RNGesus.

If you have no luck at all, consider trying barnacles instead. Google for "ripe barnacle sites" and you should find some planets in the Pleiades where you can shoot the organic structures for rare mineral drops.

Cheers :)

I will probably try the barnacle method first, as I could do with getting some Thargoid materials anyway for the inevitable new Engineer blueprints...

1 hour ago, harbey said:

Thanks - but the plot thickens. When I went into my local Argos, they had two clearance entries for PS4 sticks. That one, and a cheaper one at 37.99 - for a HOTAS X Joystick 2 in the Playstation section. No details on whether it was for a PS/4 (and not the earlier PS3 version that was mentioned earlier), but the guy happily pulled it from stock to check for me.

Sure enough, it was a PS4 stick - and mine has a starter pack for some kind of Air Thunder game, too... so I reckon I got the same one, cheaper, under a different entry.

Not to gloat, but in case I can help anyone else get a bargain - my catalogue number was 500/9965, and that's the sticker on the top. Maybe it's an in-store thing only.

EDIT: Looks like a mislabelling on Argos' part, so unlikely to be repeated elsewhere.

I guess - the code on the box matches the code on the ticket, and that was what was in their inventory system.

But on closer inspection the ticket says Hotas X Joystick 2 while the box says T.Flight Hotas 4.

Looks like I got lucky! Someone put an old label on the new stock at the depot and it got scanned in by the local store. What are the chances of that? Sorry guys, I guess I can only look smug - I was hoping to do a fellow 'mukker a solid.

Wasn't planning on doing so - unless I'm going to be hit by a 13Gb patch after installing the physical product!

I was asking to see if I can expect a huge patch *anyway* even if I buy physical, and if so, how big.

So I know how long it'll be before I actually get to start playing.

3 hours ago, smac said:

Serious question: what am I looking at in terms of size of mandatory patches after initial install if I buy the PS4 Legendary Edition?

The total install is 17.6GB. 

The main game is 13.86gb. So you'll be looking at slightly over 3gb for the Horizons stuff which doesn't come on the disc, it's the main game only. Not sure about patches though. 

Tbh unless you can find it cheaper than £28 you might as well go digital and get it whilst it's in the sale.

4 minutes ago, Jigsaw Monkey said:

Does anyone know if this supports Big Screen mode on Steam?

My current setup means that it needs to launch and run 100% through pad input.

Almost. Unfortunately there's a launcher which requires mouse input before it'll start the game proper, after that it's pad-friendly the whole time (once set up).

Apparently there's a way to create a shortcut which skips the launcher, not used it myself so can't really comment on its effectiveness.

1 minute ago, Nutcasey said:

Is the special edition needed for this game or is the £12 enough?

Depends what you mean by Special Edition? There's more than one. The Commander Edition comes with Horizons, the first season of DLC, which I'd say is almost vital these days. The Legendary edition comes with Horizons and some currency for buying paintjobs and other cosmetic items.

8 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Well now, colour me surprised. After kitting out the python, my jump range is still a very generous 31.7ly. I've managed this by dropping to class 6A for the power plant and power distributor, and applying lightweight mods to everything I can except the beam weapons, which are efficient modded.

Currently running two large beams, one large MC, and two medium MCs. The cannons all have grade 5 lightweight mods. I took the hit with Tod and applied corrosive rounds to the large multi-cannon.

That jump range will drop a little, as I haven't yet installed an SRV hanger. But that shouldn't drop the range below 30ly. The Python has been a pleasant surprise.

I'm running a 6A power plant too, two large MCs, a large beam, and two turreted medium beams. How do you find it for power use? I'm currently flying around at 101% usage, but I've not unlocked the efficiency upgrades for my beams yet. I've not input all my mods yet, but this is my current loadout. I got a fairly good roll on my FSD and it does a smidgen under 30LY, but I've not modded much for weight yet.

10 hours ago, Stanley said:

The main game is 13.86gb. So you'll be looking at slightly over 3gb for the Horizons stuff which doesn't come on the disc, it's the main game only. Not sure about patches though. 

Tbh unless you can find it cheaper than £28 you might as well go digital and get it whilst it's in the sale.

Thanks guys - the only mention of a patch is the 1.03 patch which is negligible in size.

@Nutcasey, it looks like it's only the Legendary edition that's available on physical, if that makes any difference to you.

Oh, and does anyone know of any recommended minimum connection speeds? I get 2GB/s down, which should be OK, but only 600 or so up, which would be the bottleneck. I will check on the Frontier website, but on the offchance...

Yikes, I wonder if that will affect the planetary scan missions I've been stacking. Probably. The entire section on changes to the mission board make it sound like they've been trying to close a number of known exploits. I wonder if this means stacking data courier missions will also get more difficult.

16 minutes ago, revlob said:

Yikes, I wonder if that will affect the planetary scan missions I've been stacking. Probably. The entire section on changes to the mission board make it sound like they've been trying to close a number of known exploits. I wonder if this means stacking data courier missions will also get more difficult.

I wouldn't have thought stacking data courier missions would be affected, because it makes sense that one ship could take multiple packages for different customers; the problem was with being paid by two employers to kill six ships each, and being rewarded for killing six ships in total, rather than twelve.

For those that have just gotten the Hotas 4, how's the throttle control on yours? Unfortunately, when mine is in the 'centre' position, it's registering as being slightly off centre resulting in my ship having slight reverse thrust.  It's not a huge issue but it's off putting so considering trying to get it replaced. Unfortunately, I can't find any deadzone settings.

3 minutes ago, harbey said:

For those that have just gotten the Hotas 4, how's the throttle control on yours? Unfortunately, when mine is in the 'centre' position, it's registering as being slightly off centre resulting in my ship having slight reverse thrust.  It's not a huge issue but it's off putting so considering trying to get it replaced. Unfortunately, I can't find any deadzone settings.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/332704-Throttle-Deadzone-Setting

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

2.4's changelog has been released

These stuck out:

• Updated route plotting system:

• maximum route plotting range is now 20Kly

• route plotting is much faster

• there is now an option to make use of neutron star boost when plotting routes

• an icon is displayed on the route to show the last scoopable star before running out of fuel

Yay! In time for my exploration shenanigans.

Ship kills, and actions to complete planetary hack and disable missions will now only contribute to a single mission, this will be the earliest mission accepted

Oh boy, I wondered when they'd close this little exploit off. If you want to make quick money at Quince, do it quick before this update hits.

Edit: That changelog is for the Close beta of 2.4, after this it's open beta, then release. So there's still time if anyone does want some quick credits.

Other big changes that many (but not all ;) ): will welcome:

Ship Rebuy Penalty – When a player commits the crime of murder (PvP only), an additional cost is added if they swap to a less expensive ship before paying legal costs during the rebuy flow

Pilot’s Federation Bounty – When a player commits the crime of murder (PvP only), they receive an additional Pilot's Federation Bounty. This bounty is valid in every jurisdiction except anarchies

It'd be good if there was some method of tracking down high-value bounties in-game (assuming there isn't already). It'd make bounty hunting more interesting if you could actually track down notorious players or NPCs, and it might curb griefing as well.

I'm a Post Captain! Just one more promotion before I can buy my Corvette. At this rank, delivering 20 data missions moved me from 14% to 19%. So, assuming all missions were created equally, that's just over 320 missions to go...

• Thor changed the title to Elite Dangerous - Thargoids declare WAR!