Elite Dangerous - Thargoids declare WAR!

Thor

Thinking about buying a Hotas 4 for PS4.  Does anybody use one and would recommend it over the Dual Shock? I wouldn't usually bother, but as I've played this to the exclusion of just about everything else,  I figure I'll probably get my money's worth.

8 hours ago, harbey said:

Thinking about buying a Hotas 4 for PS4.  Does anybody use one and would recommend it over the Dual Shock? I wouldn't usually bother, but as I've played this to the exclusion of just about everything else,  I figure I'll probably get my money's worth.

Yeah I bought one and would totally recommend it. It feels incredible flying around using it, transforms the game.

Well, I thought I was two ranks off Explorer Elite but it ticked over to Ranger. Still Pioneer to get but sod it. I'm off to Sag A* via Colonia.

Just got to store my passenger cabins and buy two AFMUs, just in case. Seeing as I get to play for an hour or so of an evening this may take a while. Or break my love for the game.

25 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I'd like to head to Colonia once I have my Corvette. I won't take my Corvette, that would be stupid, but I'd like to have the acquired the Corvette before making any long journeys.

The Combat CG should be finishing any time now. I'm comfortably in the top 25% with 12mil earned. I'm not sure if I'll continue to do the trade one, shooting scavengers doesn't sit well with me. :(

LOL!  Thanks to your great directions I'm in the top 10% with 579 tonnes.  I did it on Saturday listening to the football on the radio, compared to the year 1 grind for materials in Destiny it was a relative breeze.  I'm top 25% for the combat CG too, with ~8.1mil, t'was my first time doing any serious combat and it was great fun.  Prior to that I was just space trucking in my Type-6 :)

23 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

The alien site is great, isn't it? It's an active site, so you can go in if you're carrying an Unknown Artefact/Probe. But you need a corrosive resistant cargo rack to carry it in your ship, and it damages your SRV over time.

Yeah, it's really cool.  I'm getting a big Babylon 5 feel off it, it's like when they found the crashed Shadow ships before the whole thing kicked off.  Been watching a few of Obsidian Ant's videos on the alien lore and it does seem that they're building up to something.  The game is really starting to suck me in big time.

Googling the corrosive resistant cargo rack, and it seems like there's a bit of work to get it.  Think that'll be my next goal.

2 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Back on the subject of exploring, I'm looking at this experimental build for the Vakarian.

https://eddp.co/u/aHcTMxPo

Basically lightweight mod everything to keep the jump range above that magic number of 50ly, but still having teeth if the need arises.

I'd increase the primary tank back to a 5C and perhaps add second one - with something else stripped down to compensate. It may have a fuel scoop, but you really want more than a couple of jumps' worth in the tank when you're heading out into the deep - you don't know if you're going to end up in an area with fuck all KGBFOAMs.

Still playing around with the hardpoints on my Cutter, plus doing more Engineering.

Got a grade 3 clean drive mod on the 8C thrusters. I have enough stuff for a single grade 5 roll, but I'm saving that for when I can afford 8A thrusters.

The lightweight bulkheads have a heavy duty mod. Only a grade 1 so far, as I need to do a shitload of mining to unlock that woman that @Captain LeChuck was talking about before. (Why does the only Engineer to do every armour mod "only work with miners"?)

Tonight I intend to give the shields a thermal resistance mod, and give the shield boosters resistance augmented mods.

Tried a railgun and a plasma accelerator for the first time last night. Very nice, but not without their limitations. The railgun projectile is super fast, but the gun itself takes time to fire. The plasma accelerator fires instantly, but the projectile is super slow. Both are also only available in fixed mounts. I can see a definite use for both of them, but it depends on playstyle and what kind of combat you're after.

2 hours ago, friedgold said:

Please don't mock me too much, but after 15 hours, and many, many carefully planned jumps...I've just discovered the 'Plot Jump Route' option in the galaxy map.

I don't think anyone can mock you for not realising something in a game such as this :)

The route plotter is very useful. You can set it to fast or economical, and you can also apply filters to it - including star type (useful for when you need to scoop during a journey)

2 hours ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

I don't think anyone can mock you for not realising something in a game such as this :)

The route plotter is very useful. You can set it to fast or economical, and you can also apply filters to it - including star type (useful for when you need to scoop during a journey)

Hmm. I mean, thank you, but that's a quite staggering level of idiocy. I was spending ages plotting my jumps to my max range (~9LY in my Sidewinder). I think my longest journey was around 7 jumps before I gave up, completely baffled by the web of route lines.

However...while my exploits are far, far smaller scale than those of you guys, I'm really quite proud of myself. I've over 1 million credits banked and an upgraded 23LY range Hauler I'm calling Lumpy and frankly for all his faults I've fallen a little bit in love with him. I've focussed my upgrading purely on range and am taking (relative to me) high-value delivery jobs of 100k credits or more whenever they appear and wherever they take me while using 49-Serpentis as 'home'.

It's really got its hooks into me now.

4 hours ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

I realise that I'm going to have to do surface prospecting to get some of the materials I need. Anyone got any tips? :)

Find out what type of rock drops the material you need. You're probably looking for something rare or very rare, like the arsenic you need for G5 FSD mods, and those kinds of materials can only be found in mesosiderite and metallic meteorites. Very, very occasionally, you can find rare materials in outcrops, but it's so uncommon I wouldn't bother stopping for them.

Learn how to identify the above rock types on your wave scanner. Use http://wavescanner.net/ to see examples.

Find a planet which has what you need. The higher the percentage, the better.

Land somewhere flat-ish, but not too devoid of features. Drive off, looking for the wave signatures of the rock types you're after, and ignore everything else.

Pray to RNGesus.

If you have no luck at all, consider trying barnacles instead. Google for "ripe barnacle sites" and you should find some planets in the Pleiades where you can shoot the organic structures for rare mineral drops.

Just now, smac said:

13.9 GB? Myyyyyyyy Crapppppppppppy Brooooooooooadband!!!!!!

Will have to get it on physical...

There's a whole galaxy in there, man. 400 billion systems! What did you expect?

Spoiler

Actually, 99.999999% percent of them are generated procedurally. Most of those gigs will be high resolution textures of beige.

3 minutes ago, revlob said:

There's a whole galaxy in there, man. 400 billion systems! What did you expect?

Reveal hidden contents

Actually, 99.999999% percent of them are generated procedurally. Most of those gigs will be high resolution textures of beige.

The version I played* in 1985 fitted 8 galaxies into 32K, man! I expected the same level of algorithmic brilliance!

---

*I don't know anyone who actually bought a copy back in the day - nobody actually owned a Beeb...

32 minutes ago, smac said:

The version I played* in 1985 fitted 8 galaxies into 32K, man! I expected the same level of algorithmic brilliance!

---

*I don't know anyone who actually bought a copy back in the day - nobody actually owned a Beeb...

The stellar forge is an amazing achievement, don't knock it!

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Join usssssss.

I bought the Thrustmaster Hotas yesterday. For the first couple of hours I wasn't sold. I was doing better with my joypad. You also lose some functionality, looking around the cockpit is nowhere near as good as with a joypad, and there are no buttons to make up for the touchpad options you have. So you're relying on more button combos.

However, the level of control the hotas affords the player renders all that pretty much irrelevant. Have to say, the real game changer is actually the throttle more than the stick. More precise (not to mention easier) throttle control is a big advantage in combat. 

I still need to tweak the settings, as I'm finding the vertical thrusters all but useless thanks to the default buttons and their placement, and I used those a lot when flying with a pad. But yeah, overall I'm impressed, and it's a whole new level of immersion. Makes flying the Anaconda even more fun. :D

It's great isn't it? Makes your ship feel bigger and weightier somehow, I think. Know what you mean about cockpit look. You get used to using the little thumbstick but I couldn't for the life of me work out how to invert its controls. 

You'll probably want to remap the ground vehicle controls too as I found the default ones hard to use. 

Such an awesome feeling as you push the throttle forward whilst leaving a station :)

15 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

8 galaxies of 256 systems each. 2048 systems in 32K, so if you scale linearly* then it'd be nearly 6 TB to replicate.

*shush, Morbo, I'm trying to talk.

Don't confuse the argument with facts!

Nah, I'm astounded at the scale of what Frontier have done this time around, too.

• Thor changed the title to Elite Dangerous - Thargoids declare WAR!