rllmuk
Thor

Elite Dangerous - Thargoids are gone! ... wait a minute ...

2 minutes ago, Karzee said:

Yep you can 'free look' around the cockpit to interact with screens and is how I've played from the start, far more immersive.On XBox you click the left stick to go into free look mode. It''s probably the same on PS4

Thanks a lot man I'll pass the information on :)

9 minutes ago, SqueakyG said:

Thanks -- how big (in GB) and how frequent are updates?

They update the game fairly often, but usually only with small updates. When their major releases come out the way they structure them is it basically overwrites all the data files, so those can be significant. The last major update 2.3 was about 10GB.

Lately there's been a couple of large small updates, 2GB or so, but that's largely because they've been pushing a load of Thargoid content in.

4 hours ago, Gerry Helmet said:

Few questions if anyone knows 

Can my starter scanner detect whether a Ship is wanted or not? 

If I wanted to "assist"  the community goal in the Eravat (sp) system (where I started) do I head to Eravate 10 and just start scanning for space aresholes and shooting?

The High/low intensity battles, what are they? I jumped into one and it was just a bunch of ships fighting, none of which were wanted or cared about me being there.

There has been attempts to interdict me a number of times however I avoided it, I'm assuming that's Space arsholes attempting to rob me?

Lastly, What anomalies are worth checking out? Like the unknown signals etc.

@Blu3Flame has already answered a few of these.

Community Goals:

You must first sign up to the CG from the mission board, otherwise anything you do for it won't count (this goes for any kind of CG).

For this week's bounty hunting CGs around the starter systems, you need to earn bounty vouchers by killing wanted ships. Good places to find wanted ships are Resource Extraction Sites (RES), which you'll find within asteroid rings around ringed planets.

RES come in different varieties, including "High" and "Hazardous".

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Resource_Extraction_Site

Never fire on another ship unless you have first targetted and scanned it *and* it has come back as being wanted, otherwise you'll end up with a bounty yourself.

If you fit a Kill Warrant Scanner to a Utility slot on your ship, you can manually scan ships with that (in addition to the standard targetting scan) to see if they also have bounties with other factions.

Once you've had your fill, head back to the starport mentioned in the CG description and go to the Contacts to cash in your bounties.

Conflict Zones:

The High/Low intensity battles are Conflict Zones, where two different minor factions fight each other. As @Blu3Flame said, you need to pick a side before joining in. It's done via the right-hand (system) panel, on the final tab on the right of the panel. Always go to the outskirts before picking a side, otherwise you may well get ganged up on. CZs can be much tougher than simply doing a bit of bounty hunting in a RES.

Interdictions:

Sometimes authority ships will interdict you for a routine check, but most of the time it is indeed space arseholes trying to rob you (or just kill you). Unless you think you have a chance of fighting back, the best tactic is usually to submit to the interdiction by throttling down to zero, after which you boost the fuck away as fast as possible and then jump out once the FSD has cooled down. (The FSD cooldown period is much shorter after a deliberate submission than after fighting-but-losing the interdiction mini-game.)

Signal Sources:

These can be various different things, some more worth checking out than others. And some more dangerous than others.

Have a read of these - 

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/System_Signal_Sources

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_Signal_Source

• Upvote 5

Is it still enjoyable getting the game without the £20 horizons pack?

I should be saving money and cutting down on new games so trying to justify this by just getting the standard game and saving 20quid 

@Danster Great info on the exploring thanks!

@Minion @Karzee Yep freelook is R3 click with the added benefit on the PS4 of using the dual shock gyros so you can tilt the pad around to look while keeping the stick for control. Works well :) I also found out last night that when you go into camera mode you can unlock the camera in all the different angles (again with R3) to be able to look around from those perspectives too.

• Upvote 1

Having returned to the game while I am playing MEA creates a nice sci fi period for me. :D.

I am lost somewhere towards the core. 8k ly from it. I was trying to plot a course when I bumped into a red nebula and in its heart beat a neutron star. :o  Hopefully when I reach it I won't shit my pants and die. 

Trip to the core. Yup. Never doing that again. It has its moments and it is a grand adventure for the first 5k ly or so. After that... wow. It takes a toll and I'm struggling to find interest (the mechanics are just so basic). Respect to those who have done it. I am seriously thinking of paying someone to bring my ship back to the bubble. :P

Nice landing, especially compared to my efforts in the first few days. Just checking but do you know about switching to 'Alternate flight controls' (left stick click) to move your ship sideways instead of turning? It really helps fine tune landings.

Also I noticed you had your landing gear lowered before you'd entered the.station. Having it lowered makes a ship's handling sluggish - not something you want if you suddenly need to make an evasive manouvre going through the slot - so I tend to lower it at the last minute once I'm aligned with the landing pad.

12 minutes ago, Karzee said:

Nice landing, especially compared to my efforts in the first few days. Just checking but do you know about switching to 'Alternate flight controls' (left stick click) to move your ship sideways instead of turning? It really helps fine tune landings.

Also I noticed you had your landing gear lowered before you'd entered the.station. Having it lowered makes a ship's handling sluggish - not something you want if you suddenly need to make an evasive manouvre going through the slot - so I tend to lower it at the last minute once I'm aligned with the landing pad.

Thanks. Yeah, I used to use the alternate all the time going backward/forward/sideways to finally make my pad. I'm much more confident with just chucking it down in standard now though. I've recently been using the landing gear as part of my braking for the turn to approach the slot, I should probably not though as it won't work if I'm working my way up to bigger ships. :)

Just done a few data delivery missions , getting the hang of it .first mission I was trying to land not knowing I've not lowered my landing gear :facepalm:

It's brilliant init :D

Question 

Can you upgrade your ships? I wanna go faster :)

Also is there a way of spinning the ship around quickly?, I was doing the training missions while waiting for the full game to download and trying to attack a ship , it whizzed behind me and it took a good ten seconds to turn the ship around

To turn quicker lower your speed so the marker is in the blue, this will make you turn a lot faster than trying to turn going at full speed.

If you want to turn 180 degrees even quicker then turn Flight Assist off, turn, then turn Flight Assist back on. This will turn your ship around but not change your travel direction i.e. you'll be travelling backwards so you'll then need to accelerate until your marker has risen back up to forward thrust and into the blue again.

Don't forget you can boost to get up to top speed quicker and to maintain top speed. 

You can make your ship go faster two ways. Go to a station that does Outfitting and buy better class modules. Go to a certain Engineer (part of Horizons) to re-engineer your modules.

You might be able to go faster a bit if you strip your ship down to essentials to make it lighter. 

• Upvote 3

Pretty much constant disconnects for me tonight (on PS4). Dropping out of light speed or hyper cruise, launching from a spaceport, and even buying upgrades at the outfitters would all trigger it. It made an experimental foray into the world of non-gimballed rail guns and torpedo launchers a bit of a frustrating experience, to be honest. Not helped by the realisation that non-gimballed anything is probably a bit beyond me at the mo.

Then I tried a mission where you need to use the SRV to take out a settlement's power grid. At which point the (real life) baby woke up, and whilst seeing to him my SRV was destroyed. Bugger.

Oh well, the glitches aren't turning me away yet. It seems to be more or less what I'd hoped No Man's Sky was going to be. 

Can't remember if I saw it here a few months ago or on the official forum, but since there's lots of new players, this is worth repeating.

Frontier allow you to choose an annual special day where they'll reward you with a discount voucher or special offer of some kind. They differ every year, possibly even different for different people. Random perhaps. I just got my first one which is 20 percent off any digital product, which isn't bad.

There's 20 percent off some ship paint jobs at the moment anyway, but naturally all the ones I want aren't discounted.

Here is where you sign up. I set my day for a couple of months from my sign up date so that there'd be plenty of time for their admin to add me, but I wouldn't have to wait too long for my first offer.

https://www.elitedangerous.com/en/prefs/special-day

Apols if already common knowledge.

• Upvote 3

The docking computer is priceless and I use it often, but on the flip side docking manually in a nippy ship is really rewarding. And a thrill when you only have seconds of oxygen left after a canopy blowout...

I Sometimes only engage the docking computer once I'm through the slot, so it can do the actual landing.

Docking computer can handle planetary landings just fine. You do have to pay attention with every auto docking though as sometimes, very rarely, it will freak out and try to crash you. It's never killed me but has come close a few times.

Very rare, the DC is still a massive boon. Especially if you're doing a load of short hop trading runs with lots of docking. In fact I've had no problems since a few patches ago, now, so they may have even improved it. Forget I spoke (but keep an eye out anyway) ;)

• Upvote 1

I've not used the docking computer since the early days, when it was hilarious. It would randomly spin you through the slot like it was a trick shot, or smash you into the side of the station. Sometimes even landing you upside down on the pad.

I don't trust it.

• Upvote 2

It's not about need, it's about convenience. I'm brand new, so hopping between lots of stations, and though I can dock just fine now, being able to approach a station, request docking and then sit back as my ship autopilots itself, AT SPEED to the correct side and to a perfect docking while playing soothing classical music is a hell of a perk.

Will I always use it? No, as docking is fun, but it's a wonderful option to have.

18 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

I've not used the docking computer since the early days, when it was hilarious. It would randomly spin you through the slot like it was a trick shot, or smash you into the side of the station. Sometimes even landing you upside down on the pad.

I don't trust it.

Better than what I can do manually.

• Upvote 1

I just bought the Elite Reclamation audiobook in Audible to help me through the long trek to the core and back, and I have to say, the audible version is really well done. Excellent narration quality, special effects, it really draws you in. Hopefully the book will be good too. 

• Upvote 2

I got my first fines earlier. Clipped another ship on the way out of a spaceport (fine 1), and then spun round in such a confusing way that they whacked me with another fine for trespassing whilst I was still trying to figure out which way was "up".  Gee, thanks guys!