rllmuk
Thor

Elite Dangerous - September update out now, Fleet Carriers coming December

On 11/08/2019 at 23:44, Thor said:

Should easily get 60ly out of my Asp Explorer with some clever engineering.

Didn't have to be all that clever really. My Asp Explorer's range is now 60.6(ish)ly. I've installed the weakest power plant I could use with a G1 mod to overcharge it. That stops my ship shutting down, or needing me to deactivate certain modules. I can't go higher without getting an invite to Marco Qwent (and Sirius Corp), so Felicity Farseer's G1 mod will have to do. I've also gone to Lei Cheung and modded my shields for enhanced low power, and Low power draw.

So now I'm ready to seriously explore ... just in time for No Man's Sky! :lol:

• Empathy 1

Despite NMS being out, I'm still playing this. It's the superior game for actual space flight. Sometimes, on a long trip in-system I'll just lean back and look up out of my Krait's cockpit, gazing at the stars. Presently I'm grinding rep in the empire to work my way up to Baron, I want a Clipper. I know now not to make the mistake of grinding all the way for a Cutter, that thing is a bus. :lol:

Was doing some digging for the best systems to gain rep, and came across this amusing story.

• Upvote 6

Well, I have my Clipper (and am therefore a Baron in the Imperial Navy). The Clipper's cockpit in VR is absolutely spectacular. :D

Shame the thing is, basically, the spaceship equivalent of a Ferrari; it's not exactly practical. Still, it's nicely manoeuvrable even without modded thrusters, and the cockpit really is extra special. The interiors of the Imperial ships also look they have doors that a normal human could actually walk through without banging their head. :lol:

I was just stood - I literally stood up - in my ship, parked at Ray Gateway in the Diaguandri system, and just watched ships come and go. :) One thing about this in VR is the scale, but it never really hit me until I bought my Clipper. I mean, the Python and the Krait are pretty big, hell even a Cobra looks pretty big in VR ... but the Clipper? It is fucking enormous! I switched to the outside view (which can prove troublesome in VR as that aspect is not exactly motion sick friendly) and bloody hell ... stood behind the Clipper, you really have to crane your neck up to see the top. Christ, it is awe-inspiring. The Cutter must look gargantuan. 

Oh, before hitting the grind for Imperial rank I did make my way to Mukhang, and did a job or two for the RLL Mukhang Symposium. :)  Not sure what to do next, I may take a break from it actually, Control is out soon, and NMS is decent. Plus, I've had word that HP have sorted the QC issues with their Reverb VR headets, and that stock should be available relatively soon. So I may just save the rest of my play (including deep space exploration) for that. 

• Upvote 2

Fleet Carriers:

* December

* Buy for $$$

* bit like a station

* 500 ly range but has its own unique fuel source (people?)

* remote command it to jump

* one per player

* customise services offered and landing permission

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/gamescom-reveals-fleet-carrier-details.520110/

So you could have one for your Squadron/allies or something, or just rock around space with your stable of ships on board like a weird hermit, avoiding stations.

• Upvote 2

Awesome! Thread updated, and for the first time I've properly updated the first post with all the info on this from that thread. :D

I wonder how much they'll cost. It's got to be over a billion. I have 1.4bn cr ... I have work to do!! Is there a PC squadron?

Yes. 

They’re different experiences. NMS is cartoony, pastelly, bright, and comical. The risks are mostly more manageable and the gameplay loop is completely different.

Elite is isolating, often lonely, unforgiving, bleak. As Yamiks says, it’s “Serious People Serious Time.” The flight controls are a hell of a lot better, and generally it’s a more “realistic” experience, as far as realism can be stretched with aliens and technology that doesn’t exist (yet?). You really do get a sense that you’re in a pressurized capsule hurtling through hard vacuum with an explosion at your backside. NMS feels like you’re flying an aircraft through a really big room when you’re in space. The planets don’t move around the sun etc. Elite has real-time orbits and high-gravity planets etc. 

They share a lot in common, especially with the NMS updates that have borrowed some Elite features and in everyone’s opinion added a lot of depth to the game. 

Both are two of my favorite games ever. I slightly prefer Elite, but that’s just the way my bread’s buttered.

Partly because I like to come hurtling into a space station at full speed like a javelin with flight-assist off and then flip and burn in the opposite direction to slow down and land. I think Elite has a greater sense of scale, despite the fact that the galaxy is ostensibly smaller (the Milky Way has fewer than 15 quintillion-or-whatever stars).

BUT No Man’s Sky is an experience of its own and really is a charming delight to fuck around in. Elite definitely is not for everyone. I’m having a kind of fun in NMS I never had in Elite, and I had fun in Elite I’ll never have in NMS. 

So definitely play both of them. When you get sick of one, play the other, and vice versa. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Thor said:

Awesome! Thread updated, and for the first time I've properly updated the first post with all the info on this from that thread. :D

I wonder how much they'll cost. It's got to be over a billion. I have 1.4bn cr ... I have work to do!! Is there a PC squadron?

Sign me up if there is. Or isn't.

I could get back into this. Again.

• Upvote 1

Forgot about the fun bits in this game. Thought i’d do a pirate hunting mission in the next system. 30 ships for 3.4 million, why not?

My ship was too slow to catch the buggers when I pulled them out of Supercruise so I hung out at a beacon. Took a while but got all 30. After a while I had a handful of Vipers and 3 Anaconda Police helping me out. Great seeing them all home in on a wanted vessel.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, fragglerock said:

I just set up a private group called "Rllmuk" it is set to accept anyone joining so I think if you search for rllmuk it will allow you to join (maybe)

What format?

September update is out.

There's a new in-game currency called ARX.

We're pleased to announce that the September Update is finally here. Available now across all platforms!

With the new improvements in this update, you'll be able to spruce up your ship like never before... even if you're stranded out in the black!

Commanders who are in need of additional flight training (or have scraped their hull along the side of the mail slot one too many times) can take on a new tutorial, fully-voiced and accessible from the right hand panel. 

image.png.ec86161f1883072aeba52d57f5d6a5dd.png

NEW LIVERY SYSTEM

• Access the ship livery from the main menu.
  • Revamped UI for cosmetic items and Game Extras.
  • Browse and preview cosmetic items from the store for all ships before purchasing.

NEW VIRTUAL CURRENCY: ARX

• ARX can be purchased to acquire Game Extras such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!
  • ARX can also be earned by simply playing the game!

NEW "IN SHIP" STARTER EXPERIENCE

Enhance your piloting skills by taking part in the fully voiced starter experience, including: 

• Basic flight controls and scanning.
  • Supercruise and navigation.
  • A combat exercise around a megaship.
  • Jumping through Hyperspace and docking at a starport.

You can read all the patch notes on our official forums here and the known issues list here

image.png.845b5914d54ffe87dac35de7b499e572.png   image.png.a8a78783fcb313cfa3ed61489ef16221.png

All I want to know is if sunglasses are back as being available to purchase for your character.

• Upvote 1

The main issue is Engineering. Once you to go an engineering menu (either at an engineer base, or remotely) you're stuck in that menu screen, and have to quit to the main menu. ARX appears to be simply an issue where there's a limit to how much a player can have per week, and players have found a way to hit that cap very quickly.

Stuck this on again tonight and, yep, this game is pretty fucked right now. Also, my Asp Explorer is now blue... 

Engineering really is proper shafted, I was going to get back into that. I suppose I could just farm for materials, or explore, but I'm saving exploration for the December update, when hopefully I can buy a fleet carrier. 

They patched a few fixes today, including engineering. So I have unlocked Liz Ryder, and Hera Tani; two I never unlocked when playing on PS4. :)

Also, at the end of my play tonight I stood up and just walked a little around my ship. Pardon the odd f-bomb. ;)

• Upvote 2

I'm proper addicted to this again now; been on a mission to unlock engineers. Just gained access to Marco Qwent, but of course I need to deliver to him 25 of those godforsaken Modular Terminals. :lol:  I believe it's easier nowadays. 

Still need to get a Sol permit too. Will be nice to visit Saturn in VR. :)

edit: Shatner made me laugh earlier. 

Me: Deploy SRV

Shatner: Hahaha, alone with the ship, alright.

:D

Are there any guides to finding surface resources?  I'm busy unlocking Engineers in order to get some properly powered weapons but when it comes to finding minerals for the level 5 stuff I have no idea where to start.

Start here:

https://eddb.io/body

Put in the material you want and where you are in the Reference System. That'll give you a list of Bodies where you might find the material.

Then surface scan for outcrops. Or just land and blast around in an SRV for an hour or so and you'll find some.

Remember you can also trade common elements for rare, so pick up everything you find, even if common. 

• Upvote 2

Last couple of days I put the work into unlocking Professor Palin, and Chloe Sedesi. Their requirements are the same: Explore 5000ly from your start, and provide 25 sensor fragments. I jumped in the Endeavour (my AspX) to make the journey, which wasn't too bad thanks to the ship's 60ly range. I started off by taking the tour of Orion, narrated (kind of) by William Shatner. After that I ran into a little trouble because a lot of space around Barnard's loop is sectioned off, requiring permits that you can't obtain. So I had to veer off over into the Sanguineous Rim to finish the whole 5k ly distance. I made about 7m cr from the trek though, so not all bad.

Getting the sensor fragments was simple enough, there's crashed Thargoid ship in HIP 17403. You can get a load from there. I suppose I should unlock Selene Jean next, but I'm not sure I fancy mining.

Might start working on Federation rep next. to unlock the Corvette.

• Upvote 2

Despite loving the original back in the day and buying this on both the PC and PS4 I just keep bouncing off this. 

Until today that is. The new training session where you're walked through basic navigation, ship systems and combat is just a vast improvement over the the original tutorials. It's even worth veterans speed running it for an extra trophy on PS4.

• Upvote 3