rllmuk
Thor

Elite Dangerous - September update out now, Fleet Carriers coming December

That's a wonderful shot. :hat:

I found more shards of biological life. Again on a really dark planet. 

image.png.dfe6246ab4582a0df624d7aa0d569bdc.png

image.png.4c8c522ee0653e0589dbb070566fd8ec.png

image.png.87d4757defe9346f00d2c69b16d9a4ec.png

Also found a new material I hadn't come across before: Technetium. I stocked up :)

• Upvote 1

I love how the milky way gets thicker and thicker, until you're in it.

Found a system with a water world and two potential terraformers, EDD (which some people say is undervaluing by 400% since the recent changes) said the system was worth 1.3m. I carefully mapped everything. Hopefully a nice 4m+ payout on that one when (if <_<) I get back.

• Upvote 1

Last one for tonight... I'm about 6000 light years from Earth now. Have found probably around 30 or 40 million credits of discoveries so far.... I keep stopping and mapping the more interesting ones, which means I still have another about 350 jumps to get to my destination. I'm very interested to see just what it is about this system that has my passengers paying 30m odd to go visit it.

Got to love binaries where the stars are close.... even if they can get a bit hot sometimes.

Screenshot_0011.thumb.jpg.5de87f7249752a9991289bd336f3eb89.jpg

• Upvote 3

Oooh, interesting planet..... think I'll land on it....

Screenshot_0045.thumb.jpg.a80d072c604e77ef9a272aac69560704.jpg

Whooooops!!

Screenshot_0046.thumb.jpg.ec30b73bcf3833041d623d567aaa33ca.jpg

Yeah, that's 1% Hull left... the one thing you are not able to fix... nearest repair station? 4500 lys.... This expedition has just turned into a fight for survival....!

• Upvote 2

116m in the end, the actual payouts being quite often 4x more than the estimated from the EDD tool. Detailed Scanning pays out quite nicely (which is where you use the new tool to identify stuff) but mapping bumps it up even more. I think the highest payout I had was over 8m for a single system. 

Few more images that i took before last night's race for repair:

5.thumb.jpg.82dd1cda991b84f8bd3942a2915832b7.jpg

A rather gorgeous water world.

6.thumb.jpg.e1685f6443974f5f275b43469f58bd0b.jpg

(Safely) landed on a planet in the middle of a nebula.

7.thumb.jpg.fae53ffb2df81fc14f99177f42491eec.jpg

Have a closer look at the biological life found there.

8.thumb.jpg.f8185c342dc230fed91d065c30c566c9.jpg

A super massive O class star - huge, the picture doesn't do it justice.

I've definitely gotten the bug for exploring again. I'm still 7000lys from Sol. Have got a fixed up craft and am currently on the Colonia path (having made my detour), think I'll have a wander round these parts, or maybe make my way to the black hole my passenger wanted to visit. Although it will have to wait for a few days as I'm off to visit my bro until new year's eve.

• Upvote 3

With the recent updates should I give this game another go?

I purchased it from the PSN store when it was on sale back in 2017 but really struggled with the controls & I could not even dock my ship in the tutorial hanger!

I guess I was expecting No Mans Sky with more flavour & content but also with that ease of play.

How does it compare to No Man's Sky? I'm back into No Mans Sky and loving it though it does at times feel a bit directionless (perhaps not a bad thing).

I've always been interested in giving this a go but not sure if I want to take on another space epic...

You get the hang of the controls surprisingly quickly at the beginning of the main game when there’s little to lose by crashing. I’d remap boost away from a face button though!

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

The game can be a harsh mistress, but if you bought the horizon content as well as the main game, then it's definitely worth another shot.

Yes, I have the horizons season pass. I'll download it all again & give it another try.

2 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

How does it compare to No Man's Sky? I'm back into No Mans Sky and loving it though it does at times feel a bit directionless (perhaps not a bad thing).

I've always been interested in giving this a go but not sure if I want to take on another space epic...

I've not been back to No Mans Sky since the release window has it improved much apart from the grind for materials then upgrade your suit/ship etc? 

I have done the Atlas path & got to the centre of the universe.

1 minute ago, gospvg said:

I've not been back to No Mans Sky since the release window has it improved much apart from the grind for materials then upgrade your suit/ship etc? 

I have done the Atlas path & got to the centre of the universe.

There's a lot of new content though I admit to being a relative newbie (only 30ish hours) and I haven't got to the centre of the universe yet. Everything feels a bit fresher and from what I remember there's generally more variety with plants, creatures, underwater stuff. But I suspect mission wise it may have not developed a great deal, though I could be wrong on that.

Has anyone played both and prefer Elite?

I don't play the game, but just wanted to give a shout out to you guys with your great photos. 

Also I'm curious, for these passenger missions you are taking on, they are other players right? So what does that player do whilst you're travelling? Can they just log off and come back a few days later and hopefully they'll have been dropped off at their destination? I ask because in the story earlier it was mentioned that the passenger was screaming at the player when they got their ship blown up.

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I don't play the game, but just wanted to give a shout out to you guys with your great photos. 

Also I'm curious, for these passenger missions you are taking on, they are other players right? So what does that player do whilst you're travelling? Can they just log off and come back a few days later and hopefully they'll have been dropped off at their destination? I ask because in the story earlier it was mentioned that the passenger was screaming at the player when they got their ship blown up.

Oh god no, they're NPCs. 

I'm actually a little annoyed with the game at the moment. Which is a little unfair. I'm using Spansh, which basically creates a route using as many neutron stars as possible to shorten the number of jumps required to get from A to B. Only it seems to have sent me down a bit of a dead end. Spansh is telling me I can get to X in 8 jumps, the route plotter in the game is failing to plot the route. 

So I can either go back, and then around, or I can continue where I am and try to get further by myself. I'm tempted to do the latter, right now I know I'm in space no-one else in the game has visited. Every system I enter is virgin territory.

Hmm, I just found biological sites on an Icy Body world. Currently en route to the body to investigate. In the meantime, have some pics of my journey, which is basically me showing off my flashy new paint job that looks different in every screenshot. :)

image.png.63e06e2a78d555ba80a69675ce36c4b8.png

image.png.36e7b5f38e105e49f11ace78bdea38ff.png

image.png.cf4f810342c0a4e8dd319c28e7b62689.png

And here's a lovely terraformable water world I just found in the previous system I was in:

image.png.e1edc29cb3893b5fc5b1a9c50c85790b.png

image.png.550fe5b1d52dec08599b91f8b366e690.png

The view from the bridge. Man, I wish I could play this in VR. 

image.png.cc06c2e3d0c05f1f53eb4a337244ed35.png

• Upvote 3

Well, the biological sites on the Icy planet were kind of a bust, just more shards, but this time in perfectly good light, and some nice mountainous geography.

image.png.ccc4ec3934ee61fba6131a61091fe95b.png

image.png.1157c955b9547dfd21da505e705b90f3.png

image.png.ff8e701e6aaae21fc9d337d0f25e854a.png

image.png.574ec9a6776f2ef737bf76247dcfccb1.png

Decided to take my ship up high...

image.png.37284ea7f7b0acff56c9a9035d1ff3e7.png

... and then do this:

STUCK THE LANDING!! :D

• Upvote 3