rllmuk
Thor

Elite Dangerous - September update out now, Fleet Carriers coming December

8 hours ago, davejm said:

http://inara.cz/galaxy-playerfactions

It seems the information on the official forums is a bit unclear.

On one part of the page it says this...

But then in the FAQ further down it says this...

EDIT: I've scrolled through the topic to about 20 pages, but can't see anything further about this (apart from another guy highlighting the contradiction) and don't fancy reading through the whole thread. You may be right about this, I just have a nagging feeling that when I was really active on the forums and in-game a few months back there were factions being created not aligned to the system allegiance.  So it'd be a shame to specify Empire if there's a chance we can be independent in that system (if there are people that don't want to align with the Empire); especially as the application process is so drawn out.

This is just another example of a feature of this game where there's no clear explanation on how it works :D

Ah, right. I checked that link before, but it doesn't tell you the allegiance of the system compared to the player faction without clicking through and checking.

Being added with low influence, and being added as the controlling faction, are not necessarily mutually exclusive. I'd assume that if a newly added player faction didn't raise its influence sufficiently within a certain period of time it would then find itself losing control. 

Whoever is chosen as the contact point for the Mukhang Gang or whatever it ends up being called could always try posting in the player faction thread to ask, or maybe PM Brett C directly.

4 hours ago, jonamok said:

Gonna get back into this and come Hang. How many of us are Boners vs PC players?

I'm on Xbox.

4 hours ago, Simbo said:

Definately worth coming back into it.  The game is really coming alive there is a nice bit of atmosphere in the game now.  2.1 has been a great release and I still haven't done SRV stuff or engineers yet.  I think it will be improved further not just with 2.2 (passengers) but its 2.3 (commanders) and the looming war with the Thargoids (im guessing thats 2.4) where the action will be at.

@jonamok I thought it was a shared universe between Xbox and PC?

4 hours ago, jonamok said:

It is for cartographic data and economy I think, but not multiplayer ship-to-ship stuff right? So, if playing in open it would be nice to meet up and hang in mukhang. I'm Bone, but guessing most are PC?

3 hours ago, Simbo said:

Ah, I see now.  Didn't realise we couldn't see each other.  That's a shame.  Would have been amazing to have PC, Xbox and (eventually?) PS4 players all visible in open play.  The bubble might feel much more inhabited as a result.

Yup. It's a single shared galaxy for everything except instancing :(

Frontier has said before that it would like it to happen, but it would take a lot of work so I doubt that we would see it in the foreseeable future.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/243066-UPDATE-Xbox-Update-soon!!/page6?p=3773108&viewfull=1#post3773108

On 9/10/2016 at 14:26, Karzee said:

I've done hundreds of planet landings and never crashed, so I've never thought that gravity was much of an issue.....until last night. I flew down to a base on a planet as usual, requested docking while still descending, and just couldn't stop. I held the vertical thrusters and even pointed my nose up and pressed boost but that didnt slow me down quickly enough. I smashed into the suface, flipping my Python upside down, lost my shields and got 58% damage. I managed to fly away from the surface, still upside down, righted myself, got my ship under control and turned towards the pad while descending. Down I went again, scraped along the surface, my ship said "Eject Eject Eject" , and my ship blew up. Cost me 3.2mill insurance and just under 2mill in cargo. And you know what? I bloody smiled at yet another tough lesson in Elite Dangerous. From now on I'll check the G of a planet when flying a heavy Python carrying 220 units of cargo.

Just done exactly this! Hit the planet at over 600km/h Unfortunately I'd been stacking delivery jobs, so lost 15 jobs! Got fined 350k and had to pay out 6.5m for my Python.... fffffuuuuuucccckkkk.... :(:( 

Shit, just realised that wasn't all my fines, got another 250k to pay! Bloody hell... And I lost about 300k of bounties that were waiting to be claimed.... man, a very expensive lesson.

1 hour ago, Danster said:

Just done exactly this! Hit the planet at over 600km/h Unfortunately I'd been stacking delivery jobs, so lost 15 jobs! Got fined 350k and had to pay out 6.5m for my Python.... fffffuuuuuucccckkkk.... :(:( 

6.5mill?! That's twice the insurance of my Python, have you A-rated it or something?

Also, why the 350k fine? Is that for destroying the haulage for a mission?

Either way, that's one brutal lesson you've learnt (probably).

7 minutes ago, Karzee said:

6.5mill?! That's twice the insurance of my Python, have you A-rated it or something?

Also, why the 350k fine? Is that for destroying the haulage for a mission?

Either way, that's one brutal lesson you've learnt (probably).

Yeah, fully souped up :) Here's my loadout:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/python/0pktkFflidusqf51e1e7l1b1b00030m045n0505040432-C82f.Iw18eQ==.Aw18eQ==?bn=Python Fun

Failure to deliver goods, 15 missions were abandoned.

Probably still won't check gravity! :lol:

Anyone getting involved in the community goal? I've just signed up on the Empire side.

That was before I read that you can just ignore the goal, but still steal military intelligence and sell for crazy credits nstead. Damn!

Yeah I just reached the bubble again after that short excursion to the black.. Feels kinda nice to be back in populated space!  I think I'm going to hit up a bit of the community goal before heading to Mukhang, Hoping I can earn some tidy credits. 

PS Made 600k on exploration data and was first to discover about 10 things! Feelsgoodman. 

• Upvote 2

What's the quickest way to make money nowadays? I've got about 40 million or so in credit/assets (I think, may be a bit more) at last count, so I can divert that to whatever end. 

All once I've had enough of scanning planets, that is.

Take something (aspX?) with a large jump range and decent cargo space and head to "SOTHIS" Initially take data transfer missions to Ceos or the odd smuggling mission to the same place.

Once friendly with most of the factions start looking for missions carrying stuff back to the bubble (200ish ly) and stack up on those that are less than 12 tonnes or so. Fill your boots then take all missions back to the bubble.

You can either shuttle between the station to fill up with missions, or log out and back in into different instances (solo/private instance/normal) to 'cheat' the mission generator. Or wait 5 mins for it to cycle round.

Then head back to the real world and hand in your missions! about 2mill per mission +- so can get 20-30 mill per trip.

1 hour ago, Wallace said:

Anyone getting involved in the community goal? I've just signed up on the Empire side.

That was before I read that you can just ignore the goal, but still steal military intelligence and sell for crazy credits nstead. Damn!

I was going to go for the combat CGs, but they've already finished.

41 minutes ago, fasteasyfree said:

What's the quickest way to make money nowadays? I've got about 40 million or so in credit/assets (I think, may be a bit more) at last count, so I can divert that to whatever end. 

Long-range hauling or smuggling, from systems such as Sothis, Ceos, Aditi, etc...

Once allied with the local factions in those and certain other systems, you can get paid millions per job to haul biowaste and other commodities 400ly back to the bubble.

It takes time (maybe a few hours for a complete run, with a load of missions stacked), but you can make fuckloads of credits - more than you'd make from trading Imperial Slaves.

If that's too boring (and it is boring, save for the interdictions), then Community Goals can be very profitable.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, fasteasyfree said:

Don't get too hung up on the money, it'll come if you keep playing.

Having said that I found I could make half decent money mining, doing CGs can be very lucrative, albeit this week's haven't been amazing. Or you can make several million trading rares for an hour or two, there's a website dedicated to it.  Just doing missions can work out nice and there are some runs like Sothis that can work out well for trading.

OR :)

You can go bounty hunting, get yourself a Vulture with that 40m, go to a High Res Extraction site and finish off the big ships being attacked by the police, make sure you have a Kill Warrant Scanner. Or explore all the way to Jaques, Sag A and back, will make you 25m easily if all you do is jump and honk. If you scan the odd star and system too you can make even more. I made 50m+ doing that (and was lucky enought to get another 25m from the Jaquues CG that was going on at the same time).

Basically, I keep changing roles,doing different things and end up with plenty of cash. Even when I lose 7m cr in a single mistake!

• Upvote 3

I mentioned it on here a couple days back, but for me it's the Skimmer surface missions that make the most money - and they're pretty low risk too as if your SRV gets blown up its only a few thousand credits to replace it.

Once you're allied to a system, you'll get given missions worth 4-5m just for taking out 12 Skimmers. Easy money!

• Upvote 1

I've always resisted the urge to go exploring in ED, because really there's not much to find, is there, really...

So, when Dan came up with his idea for a short jaunt out to that system where we could all claim a body, I thought it'd be a good incentive. Yeah, I thought, I'll pop over, claim a planet and then get STRAIGHT back to doing CGs.

I'm now 4000 ly from Sol, heading in a rough, weaving drunken stagger to either the Trifid or Lagoon nebula. I can't decide which.

Ive even switched to economical mode so that I stop at far more systems on the way.

I've gone absolutely fucking barking space-mad though, as all I'm doing is obsessing over finding an earthlike. I've almost stopped scanning anything else.

In hundreds of systems so far I've only found a handful of water worlds and NOTHING else remotely worth scanning. What am I doing?

I'm going to find a fucking earthlike, that's what I'm doing!

It seems that other explorers before me have had the same mindset, as I can go jump after jump after jump seeing nothing but unclaimed systems containing gas giants or ice balls. But as soon as there's anything that looks remotely like something different from those, behold, someone has been there.

Last night, just before I went to sleep, I saw a water world that looked so much like an earthlike that I got excited. Of course, it was claimed. Amusingly the name of the guy who claimed it was an anagram of what I said when I realised I'd been beaten again: Arse!

So, WHEN I find my unclaimed earthlike, do I turn round and run like hell for a station to stake my claim... Or do I see if I can find a bigger one? :)

TL;DR: Exploring isn't much fun, but has that "Just one more jump" compulsion about it.

I haven't even been to Mukhang  yet. Are we doing this faction thing? And by that I mean who's the chump who's gonna do the admin? I vote for Danster. He secretly loves this sort of thing.

• Upvote 4

Argh, exploration is really simplified and not much fun but it can offer some breathtaking moments that you can't find anywhere else. If you just stared exploring though, everything is worth exploring, even if it is already discovered by someone else. It is a grind, of course, but claiming all planets in a system can net you a lot of credits. Searching for an earth like world and omitting everything else will not bring a huge cash return for the hours spent, unless you are really lucky. Don't forget that even rock planets can net you a lot of credits if they are terraformable. 

On the other hand, I understand the obsession. I had one last year with Black Holes. I also haven't been to Sag A yet, so now that is what I am doing. 

I've been playing on and off since launch and I'm not bothered about credits, so that's one of the motives for exploration removed. Hah, a recent CG even gave me, in one chunk, as many credits as I'd earned up to that point so far in total. Completely killed money as something to drive me.

I must be enjoying this crazy headlong flight into the stars on some level, otherwise surely I wouldn't be doing it. Erm, yeah, surely... :)

I've taken some nice screen shots and have seen a few interesting systems. I think I just want to keep going until I see something that looks like a "wow, you guys have gotta see this!" screenshot. Or an earthlike. Just one. Unclaimed.

And then I want to find an earthlike with an earthlike moon :)

Inadvertent whinge is inadvertent. I'm happy :)

• Upvote 2

By the way, people doing exploring might want to install EDDiscovery. It reads where you've been from the game's logs and can show you your route on a map. You can also record notes against systems you've visited. Does other things too but that's all I've used it for. There's another one called Captain's Log, too.  Id post links but I'm on my phone and it's too much of a faff.  Will add them later unless someone else does.

18 hours ago, fasteasyfree said:

For me, it was (still is) Robigo

Get a decent Asp Explorer, loaded with Cargo holds and then grab those Slave smuggling missions.

Try to get at least 5 (some are as low as 12 slaves for 5mill) and then get going.

Its about 21/25 jumps depending on local.

Theres always a risk of interdiction, but I think since the last updates the Fed's aren't as hot on it as they used to be so less insta-fails, its more Pirates and they can be outrun, just pack a shield.

Won't take you long to become rich, just don't expect to be sleeping at night...

I always look at exploring as a role play kind of experience, and the hunt for some nice screenshots. To this end EDdiscovery will rename screenshots on the system.

you never know when the next system will have a moon which is in rings, a moon with a fantastic mountain or deep canyon or a satellite with a really short orbital period, or perhaps a supergiant with an orbiting M class star which will give you that fantastic screenshot.

3 hours ago, Argh said:

I haven't even been to Mukhang  yet. Are we doing this faction thing? And by that I mean who's the chump who's gonna do the admin? I vote for Danster. He secretly loves this sort of thing.

It's not that much of a secret.... FINE!

What is the name of your group? *

RLL MUKHANG GANG

What type is your group? PVE, PVP, or Both? *

PVE

How many members does your group have? *

10-15

Have a website?

www.rllmukforum.com

Contact Name *

TheRealDanster

Christ, there are five pages for the faction side of things...

Everyone alright so far?

• Upvote 6

Name of your player group *

RLL MUKHANG GANG

Name of your Minor Faction *

This will be the displayed name in Elite Dangerous to your groups minor faction.

REAL MOCK SPACEFARERS

Description of your minor faction *

The Real Mock Spacefarers came together as a group when their previous home was foolishly shut early.  Trawling the known galaxy for a new home they stumbled across MUKHANG and knew it  could only be destiny calling. They bundled together what little they had, formed a committee and headed out for their new home. And despite some trepidation about being part of the Empire's glorious hegemony, they decided to throw their lot in and become loyal servants.

Where is your minor faction going to be located? *

MUKHANG

What is your minor factions allegiance? *

Empire

1st page, once agreed I'll move on to the next...

• Upvote 1