rllmuk
Thor

Elite Dangerous - September update out now, Fleet Carriers coming December

15 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

No, not these I think. In these you just search for salvage, there are canisters all over and some sentries, sometimes a wreckage. It is just random luck on finding them on some large areas of a planet. It is so badly designed that I am pretty sure I am missing something. 

I've never have a problem doing the salvage missions on a planet's surface, although I haven't done one in a while. From memory I think I used scan the system's Nav Beacon to give me the rough location on a planet, lock onto the location and fly down to the surface. I wouldn't land though because just as I fly REALLY close to the location my ship does a more detailed scan and the location marker moves to a different location. I then slowly fly close to that new location and the mission marker moves again (I think there's some salvage at each of these locations but not the mission one). I do this several times until my ship pinpoints exactly where the mission's salvage is. I then land and collect using the SRV.

• Upvote 1

It's not bad design to me. Imagine how boring it would be for the mission to just be 'go to this exact location and collect'. I like to think of it as a ship that was breaking up prior to crashing, it's cargo falling over an area of the surface.  The only known information is a rough area where the ship went down and what cargo was on board. Your mission is to search the area for a specific item somewhere amongst the cargo. You arrive and your ship scans surface anomalies looking for this specific item. If you choose you can land and investigate each of the anomalies for extra salvage. It's up to you.

• Upvote 2

Nope, as with pretty much everything in Elite things aren't explained to any great detail (which I like). Then again, FD have added more information into the mission objectives since one of the last updates so maybe there's something there but, like I said, I haven't done one of these missions in a while. When I first did one of these salvage missions I arrived at the marker and was about to land when the marker moved, so I went to that location, then it moved again. I didn't know what was going on but guessed the ship was looking for a precise location. I just kept following it (two or three times) until it stopped. I landed, went out in the SRV and immediately found the mission item. I've done quite a few of these in the past and have always found what I'm looking for.

It is bad design when the signal changes locations without updating the mission objective, as it happens when you get closer to your target in other missions. The game never really tells you what that means. Seeing the search zone changing locations and having no updates can be a guessing game for what it actually means.

As for the mission design, I want it to be more difficult, not easier. But difficult that makes sense. Give me the need for advanced scanners, for specific scanners, allow me to combine low flight scanning based on elements or emissions, etc. Don't make me go to a place searching as an idiot because you think not explaining the basic mechanics means you have depth.
[emoji14]

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Tell me, what would you like the mission objective updated to after each scan doesn't find the object your looking for?

"Nope, not here. Let's try over there"?

:P

I agree about it could be better. Rather than the ship auto scanning to find the object I'd prefer to have to use a detailed scanner myself, making passes over a wide area, and narrowing down the search area.

1 hour ago, Karzee said:

Tell me, what would you like the mission objective updated to after each scan doesn't find the object your looking for?

"Nope, not here. Let's try over there"?

:P

I agree about it could be better. Rather than the ship auto scanning to find the object I'd prefer to have to use a detailed scanner myself, making passes over a wide area, and narrowing down the search area.

Mission update: "Search area size has shifted and moved to a new set of coordinates.

Mission diversity: "Two smaller areas interjecting into the salvage area (this already happens!) interfere with scanning sensors . Eliminate the interference to allow the scanner to pinpoint the new salvage area."

Mission update: "Two areas have been marked as salvage locations. Find the transmission in those areas that will give you the set of coordinates you need. Be extremely cautious. Data may have already been gathered by drones sent (enter the opposing faction of the one you support in the system). 

Mission diversity: "In the chance that the transmission cannot be retrieved locate the mainframe in the base of (opposing faction).

20 hours ago, Danster said:

Calling all RLLMUK commanders! Ever thought about stepping out of the bubble? Throwing away the shackles of the grind for a different experience? An escape to a place where you can be truly alone? I have a mission for you. RLLMUK wants to claim a little bit of the galaxy, plant a flag.

You can be a part of it, simply go to the following system (PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3) and claim a single body in the system by doing a detailed scan of it, then return and report it back to Universal Cartographics to cement your discovery. There are plenty to discover (apart from PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 C, that one's mine).

And as luck would have it, it is 1337 light years from SOL :) Good luck commanders! It's a true pilgrimage.

20160906225544_1.jpg

Great idea! :D

19 hours ago, starls said:

@Danster - That's a great idea - I've been wanting to step outside the bubble for a while!

Quick question - how do we know if we have scanned a planet that someone isn't already on their way back to claim? Should we stake our claim on here once scanned to avoid disappointment at the Universal Cartographics office?

Good point! Definitely needs posting here, with people checking beforehand.

Last night I finally took my Asp Explorer to the Alien Crash Site on the moon Pleiades Sector AB-W B2-4 9 A, in the Pleiades Sector AB-W B2-4 system :)

Annoyingly, it took longer to get to the actual coordinates than it did to travel all the way from Neto to the Pleiades! I find planetary navigation a huge pain, even using the ED Bearing Calculator.

ED Alien Wreckage 01.jpg

ED Alien Wreckage 02.jpg

ED Alien Wreckage 03.jpg

• Upvote 6

Hi honey, I'm home!

:)

Finally back in the bubble, I tell you guys, I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to go bounty hunting :P

Oh and many of the systems around "The One" have been discovered already, I've returned all my cartographic data and it seems fine thus far, I now have the first discovery, here's hoping no scrote comes along and claims it all before you guys do! :) 

I'm now a Pioneer. It's good to be back.

• Upvote 1

I'm up for that Danster, fancy a change from missions and pew pew.

I've got 40,884 602 credits.  Would that be enough to fit out an asp fit for the purposes? 

The further out we go what happens when it's time to end the session and there's no station, do we just log off and leave the ship floating?

Thanks

9 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

There's an official vote for instant or delayed ship transfer in 2.2 on the Frontier forums.

I went for instant, as I think overall it's the much better gameplay choice.  YMMV etc.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/286967-IMPORTANT-OFFICIAL-SHIP-TRANSFER-POLL

I think I'd rather it was either instant or took as long as an automated ship should take. I do hope that the further it has to jump, the more it costs, but like you say for gameplay sake it may as well be instant, no point in having a brief wait.

9 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

I'm up for that Danster, fancy a change from missions and pew pew.

I've got 40,884 602 credits.  Would that be enough to fit out an asp fit for the purposes? 

The further out we go what happens when it's time to end the session and there's no station, do we just log off and leave the ship floating?

Thanks

Yeah plenty, a loadout like this one perhaps:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/02A4D5A4D3D5D5C----------3d0t0202432i2f.AwRj4jRZYo==.MwBjNcqhGAmaQ===?bn=Exploration Asp

Taken from here:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1nnVPJg7aggIJUomoHQ9STmseRJkREicL2UCJ1Dox5f4/edit#slide=id.gbe76cfc12_0_472

Yeah just get into a safe position in space, exit and save.

17 minutes ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

My Asp Explorer cost 46.6 million CR ... with 28.7 million CR of that being for the crazy-ass Fuel Scoop.

I need to switch my Scoop to something like that once I'm back in the bubble. A class 3a is just too slow.

Right - modified my all purpose Asp Explorer and ready to leave the bubble! Bit nervous!!!

I've got a similar build to the one listed above, although I have kept some weaponry just in case.

Got a jump range of about 20y, had a bit of a practice with the fuel scoops. I think I'm good to go.

Wish me luck Commanders!

CMDR Jim Starslinger signing off!

• Upvote 6

Popped out to Danster's system today, which was a great journey.

I've claimed PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 7, which is the pretty purple ringed planet I've circled in on this handy system map image Danster provided.

20160906225544_1.jpg.9e3c51197b72e70197f43e20c12d99f6.jpg

Now just to make it home again!

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I need to switch my Scoop to something like that once I'm back in the bubble. A class 3a is just too slow.

Heh, don't think you'll need that crazy 6A one! But as good as you can afford is always useful.

22 minutes ago, Kiwi Cake said:

Popped out to Danster's system today, which was a great journey.

I've claimed PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 7, which is the pretty purple ringed planet I've circled in on this handy system map image Danster provided.

20160906225544_1.jpg.9e3c51197b72e70197f43e20c12d99f6.jpg

Now just to make it home again!

Whoop! did you arrive after I'd reported my claim?

15 minutes ago, Danster said:

Heh, don't think you'll need that crazy 6A one! But as good as you can afford is always useful.

I could have gone crazy before I set off for Jacques. I just chose poorly!  I probably could have shaved off an hour over the 22lys with something bigger.

Great idea, Dantster, I'm going to do this. It's 1343lys from me. In my Python it says it'll take 72 jumps to do the first 1k lys. So I've just parked her up and bought an Asp, stripped her down to the very best basics, and it's trimmed the number of jumps down to 39 for the first 1k lys.

I've never used a fuel scoop, never been more than 250lys outside the bubble, and never risked flying without any weapons/defense, and never discovered a planet before. Heading off into the unknown right now.

• Upvote 8

I have arrived. I claim PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 4 (4th planet from left, small, blue, ringed). I have no idea if it's been claimed because ALL planets here are marked as Unexplored, so I just scanned the one and heading back now.

Hi, Danster

I was going to head out there soon but thought it might be useful to keep track of the bodies that had been claimed. Perhaps we can get the first post modified? Anyway I hope you don't mind me doing this -if so let me know  and I will edit the post. I hope I got the naming convention correct - I was working from the picture only.

PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3
* = star
O = planet
0 = ringed planet / Gas giant
o = moon / small body

Stellar Body				Forumite		CMDR
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 A				
   O - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 A 1		fragglerock		???
   O - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 A 2				
   O - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 A 3				

* - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 B					
   O - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 B 1				

0 - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 1				
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 1a			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 1b			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 1c			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 1d			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 1e			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 1f			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 1g			
 0 - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 2				
 0 - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 3				
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 3a			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 3b			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 3c			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 3d			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 3e			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 3f			
 0 - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 4		Karzee			
 0 - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 5				
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 5a			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 5b			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 5c			
       o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 5ca			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 5d			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 5e			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 5f			
 O - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 6				
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 6a			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 6b			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 6c			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 6d			
 0 - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 7		Danster			???
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 7a			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 7b			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 7c			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 7d			
    o - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 AB 7e			

* - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 C					
   O - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 C 1				

* - PRU EUQ SP-T B44-3 D	

• Upvote 5