rllmuk
Thor

Elite Dangerous - Odyssey paid update due early 2021

Nice work sir! :)

Some more flight assist off videos from that same fella.. Man he pulls off some good moves! Almost make me want to try it out full time just for bragging rights hehe

Also, finally spotted how you get ship skins.. An online store? Noooooo.. my wallet.. :(

• Upvote 1

Pocket change compared to the stick though, yeah? :D Have a go at flight assist; it took me about 10 minutes to dock, but I've done it a few times now and it gets easier (except I have made a mistake and put a Type 6 size dent at a station - ouch, 11% hull remaining, tough little ship).

Nearly got the cash for the Type 9, just another loop on my trade route (going via. Ithaca as Silver is cheap). And then I figure it's only a small jump (wi-fi) to the Anaconda. And then I might have a sneaky Gold drop if I come across any forumites (need to add some folks).

Given that you never see your ship in game, barely get close enough for others to see it, and it provides no additional benefits in game, spending real life money on a paint job seems pretty pointless.

Given that you never see your ship in game, barely get close enough for others to see it, and it provides no additional benefits in game, spending real life money on a paint job seems pretty pointless.

If it did benefit you in game then you'd have something to complain about. I'm sure they'll include an external camera at some point. It would be silly not to. Half the game for me would be seeing photo opportunities and like a lot of MMOs its nice to keep a diary of what you've done with pictures that include your avatar.

Shut up with your logic.

• Upvote 4

If it did benefit you in game then you'd have something to complain about. I'm sure they'll include an external camera at some point. It would be silly not to. Half the game for me would be seeing photo opportunities and like a lot of MMOs its nice to keep a diary of what you've done with pictures that include your avatar.

Yeah true, I didn't really mean advantages but, er, yeah can't think of any benefits that wouldn't be advantages.

Shut up with your logic.

:)

I did just read earlier that they are intending on including external cams on the official forums.. Interestingly though, they want to ensure that they both fit in to the fiction and also prevent advantages in combat. The current idea is to have some sort of pilot-able robot / maintenance craft that you can use for taking photos, fixing damage while away from stations etc. Sounds neat! :)

• Upvote 1

Beta 1.04 guys! Not much in it, but an excuse to fire her up anyways.

---

There is a new build available for download. Beta 1.04 is a minor interim release on the same development branch as 1.03, fixing a small number of niggling bugs, listed below.

We're still working very hard on the trunk for Beta 2 and will have news on this soon.

- Insurance screen occasionally not being displayed after ship was destroyed.

- Very occasional crash when outfitting weapons.

- Game occasionally getting stuck in the shipyard when buying a new ship.

- Improvements to joining populated multiplayer

Bah I was hoping to read "fixed the delay when dropping out of super cruise" amongst that list :(

Does anyone else find the travelling a bit...*gulp*...boring?

Doing trade runs, in Supercruise you can literally just stick the throttle in the blue and pick up your Vita for a quick game of Spelunky for 5/10 minutes, rather than watching a number tick down.

Does this get quicker with better ships? Are you all going to lynch me and say 'The journey is half the fun!'? Yes, I know you can search for unidentified signal sources, but apart from that and being interdicted, I do hope there's more stuff soon. Caveat...I am a bit rubbish, so I've not exactly been flying a Hauler full of stolen Gold...I imagine it's a bit more tense whan you have a cargo bay heaving with potential profit....

Is anything else planned, do we know?

Mitchell's post tickles a little worry I would have about Elite too.

It's such a perfect simulation of what we imagine a space trading and combat life would be like, that I wonder if there's a risk the trading thing - a huge part of the experience - does start to feel like a job. Euro Truck in space?

Wasn't a concern way back when I played the original in the early '80s because my expectations were very different of what a game could be. But with less time, and more distractions these days, I do wonder whether it will be the game for me.

Simple answer is don't stick the throttle in blue during supercruise! That's like driving on the motorway at 40mph. Whack it up full until you get closer and then reduce speed. It's much quicker to get places that way and you're much more involved in the flying. I'm never in a position where I can spend 5 or 10 minutes unmonitored travelling whilst I do something else.

• Upvote 1

In the final game you'll be able to hyperspace jump to planets within systems by using the System View, which isn't implemented yet, which'll make it a lot shorter.

Realise you don't need to stop off in every station to refuel, either, you can chain jump three systems on a single tank. Also yeah, going faster and then swinging round is much faster than using the default deceleration profile.

Yeah exactly, I just full throttle til I get scarily close. If you wait for the 'slow down' warning then full brake and start a small arc round, you can easily cut down the time taken in supercruise.

If you just stick to the blue throttle zone, the ships speed will automatically adjust to 10% of the distance remaining. Safe but slooooooow.

Personally I wont be trading much at all, I will be getting kitted out then heading for deep space, see ya later !

Hardly any content in at the moment really, bare bones, to the point I've stopped playing it until Beta 2.

There's more coming in the next beta with missions. They're all courier based currently, and a few seek and destroy but that's to be expanded upon as mentioned in DB's recent talk... (let me find it, ah!):

There's still mining and discovery aspects although it is understandable that the beta is only small so there's not a great deal of variety.

• Upvote 1

Yeah exactly, I just full throttle til I get scarily close. If you wait for the 'slow down' warning then full brake and start a small arc round, you can easily cut down the time taken in supercruise.

If you just stick to the blue throttle zone, the ships speed will automatically adjust to 10% of the distance remaining. Safe but slooooooow.

...or it's time to use the planet (at the cost of a few credits) :D I want them to put back the spin when a ship gets interdicted.

How do I find one of these combat / warzones? The ones where you pick a faction when you join..

They're near the second and third planets in the Dahan and Eranin system, if you get close in supercruise I think they come up as "Federal Distress Signal" rather than "Unidentified Signal Source". There's also a Federal Staging Post near the twin suns in I Bootis.

They should really make them something you can navigate to, it took me ages before I saw someone talking about them.

• Upvote 1

It will be more interesting too when the factions are properly set - as well as breaking the law having an effect on how authorities see you, being on the opposing side politically speaking could lead to some tense runs into certain systems to dock in indie starports. With the added bonus of you being completely free to "stick it to the man" - being labelled kill on sight anyway is a wonderful liberator.

I'm going to have fun messing about with cold ship/ silent running stuff this weekend- in the final game, it will be great to use the old "dump some gold to tempt a thieving scamp to steal it" routine which should allow you to blast away at the miscreant without upsetting the local rozzers- stealing allows lethal retaliation... :twisted:

Drifting quietly next to your cargo in a silent Viper.. trap loaded..

• Upvote 1

Saved up a bit, bought an Eagle. Buy some new weapons for it. Set up fire groups. Check out the cockpit, oooooo such nice open windows! Realise money is low, so spend my last on some commodities so I can scrimp back up to cover insurance before I head into battle. Set my destination, undock from Starport. Lift landing gear, throttle up towards the exit. Line up, hit boost. Realise there's a fucking Anaconda taking up the whole doorway. No time for evasive maneuvers. Eject. Eject. Delete save file. Punch self in head.

• Upvote 3

I've just got this.

I'm finding the controls way too sensitive on an Xbox One controller.

Is there a way to lower the sensitivity or is it the games way or the highway?

They're near the second and third planets in the Dahan and Eranin system, if you get close in supercruise I think they come up as "Federal Distress Signal" rather than "Unidentified Signal Source". There's also a Federal Staging Post near the twin suns in I Bootis.

They should really make them something you can navigate to, it took me ages before I saw someone talking about them.

Eranin 2 I think is where the Distress Signal is located.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday super cruising between each planet in the Eranin system and didn't come across anything other that unidentified signal sources. :( killed a bunch of pirates and robbed some wanted haulers though, so it wasn't entirely fruitless.

Of course, I blew all my cash, as described above, shortly after.

Latest newsletter: Peek of the week, medium industrial outpost:

fn60TlY.jpg

Exploration is something many people are excited about, but we haven’t yet discussed it here. There is exploration for the sake of it, but it is also possible to make money from exploring too. There is a lot out there – which will be covered more in future newsletters – many surprising things like the many planets with neon atmospheres – things not yet seen in astronomy.

The great thing about exploration is it is many-layered; one person might be the first to visit a system – but this is an easy thing to do, and one person can visit a great many systems in a short period of time, so rapidly the ‘frontier’ of unvisited systems will quickly recede. Visiting a system is not really exploring it except on an extremely superficial level, so our plan is, we will not count the system as explored at that point.

So, true system exploration is a bigger deal than just visiting that system. Players must scan it to determine what number and sizes of planets are present, and to get the next level of data they must travel to at least the vicinity of each body to investigate. A system will only be ‘partially explored’ until all major bodies (planets and moons within a certain distance of the central star(s)) have been scanned by someone and the data returned home. There are different levels of scanning, both passive and active, that can be done from orbit, to determine basic planet types, their chemical composition, mineral deposits, surface liquids, interesting anomalies, and even indications of the presence of indigenous life.

Active scanning is needed for any detail of value, especially if the planet has an atmosphere, using a powerful ground-penetrating radar beam and as much of the surface should be scanned as possible. The wary player should perhaps first check for other ships in the system… This is because an active scan consumes a vast amount of power – nothing even a Sidewinder’s drives can’t manage – but it is an incredibly bright beacon of emitted energy, visible across most of the stellar system they are in and easily tracked, and depending on the expertise of the player, it can take quite a while to get a full scan - easily long enough for most ships to super-cruise to the location. Even the basic scanner fitted to all ships since about the year 3000 is an incredibly sensitive instrument, and so they will find it easy to find such a player. And that player will most likely be very hot with their shields down… best hope they are friendly, and that they are not worried about being the first back with the data!

The reason to do this, to do the scanning and return the data, is the big prize. Getting such information back to a civilised planet with a data claim registration facility (most Federal or Imperial worlds with a high enough population will have one) and logging the data earns money for the explorer – more or less depending on the value of the planet and its location. Discovering a world with indigenous life is incredibly valuable, but even scanning seemingly worthless moons has value – both for completeness of maps (verifying there isn’t something there is still useful), but very rarely, something interesting may be there after all – maybe even a strange artefact. A wise explorer will buy the latest such data before leaving – to see which systems have been explored first, so as not to duplicate the efforts of others.

Perversely, The Federation and Empire do not share this data with each other – indeed they are competitive about it. Taking such information to the Federation earns the player a good reputation with them, but the parallel is true of the Empire. Unscrupulous players have taken the information to both, but woe betides the player who is discovered doing this – which can happen if both mega-powers send a research team to investigate!

Also SLI support coming in Beta 2, but still no date for that.

• Upvote 2

Idly popped into PC World on the way home. A proper snap decision as they were closing in five minutes. Came out with an X-52. The game is transformed by it, so... I guess I'll just add to the chorus of approval - if anyone is one the fence about splashing out on a stick, go for it :D