rllmuk
Thor

Elite Dangerous - Odyssey paid update due early 2021

How do you pay off bounties without going into a station that will kill you? Because I had a fine that I didn't pay, which will now apparently roll over into a bounty and I couldnt even log off docked at Azeban because the docking requests kept timing out like 20 in a row last night.

Also I have no insurance on this Cobra.

I think fraggle is right. I had some outstanding fines which suddenly appeared as payable in a different station after a time limit. Although you can get into the station the fine is at if you fly in before the viper patrols spot you .Probably not worth the risk though and possibly you have less time to do so the larger the fine.

EDIT: I lost my Cobra due to a 100 CR fine. Fortunately had enough to buy another, but with a few hundred credits to my name, I'm going to be stuck hauling sewage.

Got interdicted, decided not to run, fired the first shot a millisecond before the NPC and got a fine, then landed at a station and forgot to pay it off. Turned around to go back in and it scanned me. Dead. Kind of bullshit, there should be something where claiming a bounty on someone removes any crimes against them (not least because they're dead).

Some questions:

Is there an expected date for the final release? (Just says 2014 on the store) Wondering if its still worth the extra cash for whatever time is left on the beta.

If I dont have a HOTAS, is 360 pad + voiceattack the way to go?

If I decide to buy a HOTAS, is the Thrustmater Hotas X going to do all I need or if I buy this (cheap) one am I going to be pissed off I didnt shell out a bit more?

Is there a decent tutorial or should I do some reading in advance?

PS - I should be getting the Rift DK2 in the next batch, in case that changes anything :)

Cheers.

Talk me into buying this game ffs ;)

I asked before but didn't really get much response apart from people talking about their new flightsticks (which do look lovely, but are a bit impractical). For normal folk, is this best played with a 360 pad or mouse and keyboard? I tried the first combat simulator mission and wasn't really sure the best way to approach it.

So I was looking at voiceattack and, well, to cut a long story short I grabbed a config for E:D and spent an ungodly amount of time creating & tweaking some audio so a GlaDOS voice repeats your commands. Hella nerdy.

Attached the VA profile I used, plus the voice files, plus attached a sample. Feel free to use! You'll need to link the voice sample to the command in the VA control panel. Enjoy.

I just tried to import this and got a "Error loading profile data [There is an error in XML document (1,2)]" message... any ideas why?

Edit: nevermind, got it working, a note to others who try it - the .vap file has html encoded the XML (<, > instead of < and >) and put in header/body tags too, Correct the < and >'s and remove head/body tags and it works.

• Upvote 1

I'm busy exploring the systems at the bottom of the map. I originally thought their jump-range stuff was kind of bullshit and frustrating, but it's actually pretty clever - down here you go multiple jumps without stations, which you wouldn't be able to manage in a Sidewinder because of the small fuel tank - the way it's been designed is that a dense cluster is the "starting area" with a lot of creature comforts, and then it gets a bit sparser elsewhere. Makes me realise that I'm not going to reach the Galactic Core exploring come release though.

That said, I wasn't watching my credits and didn't quite realise quite how few I had - I had to auction off a laser cannon in order to refuel at Keires. Two more jumps back to Aulin and I think I'll downsize from this Cobra in for a Viper.

I play pure pad except to open the scoop, and to type system names into the navigator thing when I do that.

I am not sure what to say though!

I am using the 'with yaw' preset, but have bound left click to enter/leave hyperspace, B to stop the automatic turning thing, and A to gear up/down.

I have also bound the d-pad to forward/backwards/slide left/slide right in the 'landing override' section, so when my wheels are down the d'pad slides me in 2D rather than changing my shield/energy settings.

I do nothing about running quiet etc.

Be careful what you bind stuff to, while attempting to contact a station I looked right a bit quick, meaning instead of selecting an option in the MFD I hit my afterburners towards the exterior of the station from less than a mile away. Managed to avoid it, just.

Got a Viper now, and had a go in one of those low-intensity combat zones, which went well, can't find the high-intensity one with the wrecked capital ship.

Eranin 2, or Dahon 6 (IIRC). You're after the 'Federation Distress Signal' in Eranin -- it'll appear when you get close.

Played the beta again for the first time in weeks yesterday. It pulled me right back in although I'm too scared to attack anyone or do anything but run away at the first sign of combat. I'm just building up my credits in a gentle, legal way and it's still ace. It would be nice however if your purchases and sales were recorded in some way so I didn't have to resort to pen and bloody paper (what year is this supposed to be again?) Surely there's a trading module you can buy or something to help with that?

All you need to know is

Auto-Fabricators:

To: I Bootis - Chango Dock

Its a two hyperspace jump via Eranin

Profit: 765 Per unit.

For the return trip.. Stock up on Fish.

• Upvote 1

So that's how people are making their money, is it? I've just been doing delivery missions where possible and rinsing the Federation Distress Signal around Eranin 2. I've got absolutely no plans whatsoever tonight, so am planning on cramming in a few hours on Elite Dangerous this evening.

I've started playing with my 360 pad using the 'Advanced' control pad preset and it's fantastic once you get your head around it. Everything I use is mapped to the pad - the only thing I resort to keyboard for now is to turn the exterior ship lights on and off. The only downside is getting used to the new preset, as the 'Back' button did deploy and retract hardpoints and now rigs you into silent running. A couple of times now I've gone to attack another ship and instead of deploying hardpoints, I've gone into silent running, thus completely dropping my shields. Not great! :lol:

Played the beta again for the first time in weeks yesterday. It pulled me right back in although I'm too scared to attack anyone or do anything but run away at the first sign of combat. I'm just building up my credits in a gentle, legal way and it's still ace. It would be nice however if your purchases and sales were recorded in some way so I didn't have to resort to pen and bloody paper (what year is this supposed to be again?) Surely there's a trading module you can buy or something to help with that?

you want http://www.oisltest.com/DM/BPC/

All you need to know is

Auto-Fabricators:

To: I Bootis - Chango Dock

Its a two hyperspace jump via Eranin

Profit: 765 Per unit.

For the return trip.. Stock up on Fish.

Nice, thanks. :)

Can't believe how much satisfaction I still get from even a slightly imperfect docking. Oh yeah, look a me, ace flight commander. :D Even the little details like retracting landing gear as you leave just feels good.

Those trading tools need to be on a phone app. I'm not alt-tabbing for that shit. :P

When is the official release planned now? If you backed through kickstarter can you get the beta version cheaper?

If you add the beta to the cart and go through the purchase path, at some point before it takes the money it will reduce it because of your previous commitment (I think!)

Nice, thanks. :)

Can't believe how much satisfaction I still get from even a slightly imperfect docking. Oh yeah, look a me, ace flight commander. :D Even the little details like retracting landing gear as you leave just feels good.

Those trading tools need to be on a phone app. I'm not alt-tabbing for that shit. :P

If you are doing this trade run tonight you will probably bump into me.

I am doing

Aulin to Magec (via Ovid (have to use the galaxy map)) Terrain enhancers

Magec to Ross 1051 (via Surya) Animal meat

Ross 1051 to Aulin (via LP 98-132) Gallium

In my '6' nets me about 230k per loop.

Holy cow! Anyone broken the million barrier yet? I almost got there but after my coffee spillages I was back down to around 500 000 . Currently on 300 000 after just chucking missiles around and dieing a fair bit, which isnt really helping me learn combat.

I had assumed they'll be resetting everything at gamma launch though seeing as how people have paid to start with a certain amount of credits and certain ships.

Yeh expect a total reset then, and before real release.

I have 1.5m at the moment, going to go for an Anaconda I think, but I get bored doing the trading so I buy a fighter ship and pew some nubs... which always seems to cost me a lot of money :D

If you are doing this trade run tonight you will probably bump into me.

I tend to play in the day, I'm afraid. Heading in now in fact...