rllmuk

Elite Dangerous - Odyssey paid update due early 2021

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Haven't felt this deflated playing a game for a while. I found an Earth Like world in Kepler's Crest. As I zoomed in on it in the FSS, up popped "First Discovered by ALLINTIL"

FUCK YOU ALLINTIL, YOU CUNT! 

Sure it wasn't 'Allitnil'?

He would likely have been searching for someone called 'Lintilla' when he found it...

On 24/12/2018 at 08:32, Rob Rule said:

Do you recommend playing this with a flight stick, anyone?

100%. It is great for 1) immersion 2) more precise control 3) combat (all axes of movement are accounted for without switching to alt flight controls) and 4) Flight Assist Off, which is super helpful for skilled dogfighting and also really fun once you get the hang of it. Sophisticated FA off maneuvers are very hard with a pod because not all axes of movement are at your fingertips. 

48 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

After doing 2 of the tutorials I leapt into the actual game.

I took some stuff to another planet which took 3 jumps and got paid 16k for my trouble. So now I have 17k.

I’m terrible at landing.

The best tip I offer regarding landing is to switch to the alternative controls to fine tune your position before landing. Turning this on allows you to move the ship left or right without turning the ship.

Most stations have a "Shipyard" option, bottom right of the Station Services menu. 

And here's where Inara will be a great resource. You'll want to find the nearest station that has the ship you want, but that is also controlled by "Li Yong-Rui", as that will get you 15% off the normal price of the ship. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Thor said:

Most stations have a "Shipyard" option, bottom right of the Station Services menu. 

And here's where Inara will be a great resource. You'll want to find the nearest station that has the ship you want, but that is also controlled by "Li Yong-Rui", as that will get you 15% off the normal price of the ship. 

And don’t forget to strip any ship of modules before you sell it. This is less critical in the Sidewinder as you can’t sell the modules for credits (they’re loaned from the Pilot’s Federation) but when you start getting stuck into bigger and better ships, engineering a set of core modules that you can switch between ships of similar sizes becomes key.

• Upvote 1

Really got back into this last night, started a little mining then switched to SOL bounty hunting.

The biggest niggle I have is if you have a CUSTOM key binding setup it does not allocate controls to the new scanning stuff meaning you have to set all the controls up manually.

sigh

Yeah, I had that issue. I still have "Press unbound" coming up for a few things. 

For me it was quicker to just take care of the essentials of the new system than revert to default and rebind everything. 

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Thor said:

It gets easier. Landing, that is.

Making money can be simple, and relatively quick. Your next ship should be a Cobra Mk III.  

Just looking at Cobra’s (online rather than in game as I'm at work) and they cost a far chunk.

As I want to have a dabble in various things, what do you think about an Adder? The blurb online makes it sound like I could try a bit of mining, combat and trading?

6 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

Just looking at Cobra’s (online rather than in game as I'm at work) and they cost a far chunk.

As I want to have a dabble in various things, what do you think about an Adder? The blurb online makes it sound like I could try a bit of mining, combat and trading?

You’ll get to a Cobra quicker than you think, and they’re tremendous fun. Good at a little of almost everything and very agile.

258163188_EliteDangerous_20180728124115.thumb.png.d5dca477a247c19ef5c8c7db9f40837d.png

Jerec pretty much has it covered there. The Adder is one of the most pointless ships in the game. No-one buys one. They're actually worse than Jerec says, they're the space equivalent of a Robin Reliant.

Here's my list of Ships to avoid:

Hauler

Adder

Viper Mk III

Diamondback Scout - the explorer is better

Asp Scout - like the diamondback, the explorer is better

All the alliance ships - they're all duff in my opinion

Mamba - brand new ship from the latest update, and the community all pretty much unanimously hates it. It's shite.

And here's a list of ships everyone should aim to move up to, and keep in their fleet:

Cobra Mk III - Basically a mini python, good for many things.

Asp Explorer - Not so great for combat, but can be kitted out to defend itself well. But this is an explorer's ship.

Python - pound for pound this is still the best ship in the game. It can do anything if you kit out right, perhaps not the best for exploration. 

Anaconda - extremely versatile large ship, can be kitted out for serious combat, or deep space exploration.

Other noteworthy ships that are down to personal taste:

Eagle Mk II - great for bounty hunting, but so is the Sidewinder, and you already have that.

Dolphin, Orca, and Beluga - these are passenger ships. Passenger missions can be very lucrative in the right star systems.

Vulture - if you're serious about bounty hunting, this is arguably the king. But it's combat only, really.

Fer-De-Lance - Like the vulture, amazing for combat, and is arguably more fun than the vulture, but again is very one-note.

Krait Mk II, and Krait Phantom - I may sell my Mk II, at the end of the day it's still not as good as a python, but it is much cheaper. The Krait Phantom is great for exploration, I love it.

Imperial and Federal ships - you have to do missions to gain ranks with the Imps/Feds, but their ships are great. The imperial ships are more all-rounders (apart from the eagle), while the Federal ships are all military issue. The Imperial Clipper would be the best in the game if it didn't require a large landing pad. Meanwhile, the Federal Corvette, the top ship from the Federation, is the flagship of my fleet. :)

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I had that issue. I still have "Press unbound" coming up for a few things. 

For me it was quicker to just take care of the essentials of the new system than revert to default and rebind everything. 

I did the same in the end, I was going to use the XBox Pad bindings as I have a pad plugged in too but despite what Obsidian Ant said, scanning isn't too clunky when using a HOTAS.
The sound of .. everything really, is the one thing I keep forgetting about when returning to this game, and its a crime to forget as the sound design and implementation are genuinely first rate.
From the ships (Krait!!) to the massive cavern-like echos when you enter what appears to be a tiny letterbox until your perspective resets itself and you find yourself gobsmacked - thanks, in part, to the sound design.
Sublime.

• Upvote 1

I'm off again. Gonna head to the Trojan Belt, North East on the galactic map. No passengers this time... So I'll take as long as I like and maybe mosey over to Mare Somnus, if it's even possible to get there from the Trojan Belt!

I don’t really understand exploration yet (what does it mean for me to “discover” metal rich worlds in a system with a mining economy and a nav beacon? Do I forever lose the chance to discover those if I scan the beacon?) it has proved to be a profitable sideline since I upgraded my Asp to a Class A drive with a 30ly range. With a bit of rare goods trading via Lave I turned a 400K passenger mission in to a 1M credit sortie and got my stupid PSN ID on the cartography database forever. (Without even leaving the bubble.)

You're usually only discovering stuff for yourself. But you can still sell the data at stations 20ly or more from your discovery. Truly discovering things for the first time gets a better payout, but also means deep space exploration. 

If you want more jump range, look at engineering that FSD drive. Felicity Farseer, or Elvira Martuuk should be available to you. Additionally, do some research into Guardian technology, and how to obtain it. 

Yeah, I’ll be doing that now I have the range to reach the Plaeides and get meta-alloys, might as well sell my data to Farseer too!

Should probably swap out the big shields and weapons for a bigger scoop and passenger cabins, but I “landed” on a 1.5G planet yesterday when I meant to just hover so I guess a bit of protection is mandatory. Feels good to be out of my rut and making enough scratch per run to climb the ladder again.

(Am I right in thinking some systems have data already in my computer before I visit?)

40 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Am I right in thinking some systems have data already in my computer before I visit?

Pretty much only in the bubble.

With the new mapping capabilities there should be pretty good money to be made mapping planets in the bubble. Even if they've previously been discovered. You get a 50% bonus if you are the first to discover, plus your name in the book. But you still get paid for scanning and mapping anyway.