rllmuk
Thor

Elite Dangerous - Odyssey paid update due early 2021

I was running Terrain Enrichment things from Aulin to Opala, big profits there, but not much worth bringing back the other way unless you get a mission. Or you could run them to Eridan, which gets you less, but at least you can buy coffee/tea for the return. Those are probably still the best for my Hauler, looks like you can't go too far with a full hold.

I have a fine in federal territory for a failed transport a few days ago. So I arrive at a dock and security reminds me of the outstanding 350 credit fine by politely tapping me on the shoulder with slightly annoying laser beams. Spilling 100 000 worth of coffeh everywhere. Try again to go and pay it off and spawn inside the station . Only there is no interior just spikey polygons that make short work of my hull... spilling 100 000 worth of coffee again. Think its time to downgrade to a kitted out cobra and have some fun dieing for a reason.

Someone has collated a lot of the design info here, if you want to check it out

*Multiple ship ownership and storage will be a thing

*You'll be able to use the hyperdrive to warp directly to planets in line of sight using the unimplemented System View

*Components that get damaged will actually suffer malfunctions, it's not just an HP bar that empties

*Lots of stuff on different components not yet in - different sensors, shield generators, hyperdrives, power plants, passenger cabins.

*Can blind follow someone through a hyperspace jump or detect which system they went to, but not both

*Big ships with multiple shield areas (fore, aft), hired NPC crew

*Hireable AI wingmen with AI commands and a possibility of turning on the player.

*Ironman mode with manual ejecting in an escape pod (oh god)

*"Elite" organisation with unique missions, enter-able by wealth (trade), influence (mission running) or knowledge (exploration)

*Player log that details stuff you do, with useable metadata like location, NPC names, time and date.

*Player to player trading, market history.

*Exploration via hyperspace scanners and probes, sellable hyper-jump routes and maps of systems.

*Mining (requires scanning, shooting and scooping) of asteroids, comets and dust clouds + ship-based industrial parts.

*Salvaging of ship hulls, including events around large military ship husks.

*In-game Newsfeeds of events.

• Upvote 1

Managed a couple of trade runs again. So far so good. Sticking to the core area seems safe enough so far. I'm up to about 10,000 CR. The trouble is I'm not sure what my next goal should be ... do I keep trading and get a newer ship (and if so which one) or do I experiment with with ship upgrades and start to look for some dogfighting missions (bizarrely I haven't bumped into any things that require me to pick a faction yet). Don't think I'll even consider the piracy aspect until my ship and skills have improved.

Starting to get more confident flying into the space stations and landing now - which means that I'll probably start to get careless. I realised today that in the last 10 seconds of landing I seem to be holding my breath. I only just spotted that I am doing this because I noticed that I let of a big sigh when landed and then relaxed more into my gaming chair.

The bulletin board is good too. Most are out of my reach but you get an occasional - take tea/coffee to the next station for 1500-2000CRs - which is easy money.

How is everyone getting on with supercruise? I keep overshooting all the time. Is there any theory or thought I can put into it? I just can't seem to "hit the brakes" at the right time.

Got my first kill! If you need a hand with pirates I have recently invested in two gimballed lvl 3 multicannons and some military grade armour which actually seems to be quite effective. Against NPCs anyhoo. Teeeeam! Anybody about for some raiding tomorrow? Or just to take some nice photos like in the dev diary .

Wanted to post a link to this really helpful video I found about the trading aspect within the Galaxy Map

Looking forward to the rift support for the galaxy map being tweaked - still looks amazing though.

• Upvote 1

I'm Cmdr Arnold Rimmer, currently flying a hauler but hoping to upgrade to a Viper in a couple of days. :) I'm using a 360 pad and keyboard, as well as an EDtracker for head movement.

• Upvote 2

How is everyone getting on with supercruise? I keep overshooting all the time. Is there any theory or thought I can put into it? I just can't seem to "hit the brakes" at the right time.

I'd love to know what the 'proper' way to use supercruise is, too. I've just been pointing at my target and keeping the throttle in the blue zone. Normally this eventually gets me to the 'safe disengage' spot eventually, but occasionally I still wildly overshoot and I'm not sure why. I know the blue throttle zone indicates best manoeuvring speed at normal speed, is this the same in supercruise? I'd assumed it was indicating 'best' speed, purely because the colour matches the indicators on the nav target panel.

I'm Cmdr MrCarrot, in game.

As a rule of thumb I try to keep the supercruise speed at about 1/10th of the distance. So if I'm 200ls from the station I'll go at 20c, at 50ls I'm going at 5c. This generally allows me to slow down smoothly, though sometimes I do get impatient and end up having to loops around a planet for another run at it.

• Upvote 1

Jimbo's rule of thumb is how I do it and that generally works pretty well.

I've been playing the single-player mode today and it's fantastic. None of the delay in engaging and dropping out of super cruise and hyperspace and loads of AI activity around the spaceports makes the game feel like it's really buzzing. Just need to find a way of making decent cash in my Sidewinder now. I've also started using the 'Advanced' controller preset with the 360 controller - it manages to map pretty much everything you could want onto the pad by using button combinations. It's taking a bit of learning since I've been so used to the '+Yaw' controller settings, but I think this will prove to be a good way of controlling the game once I'm used to it. It proves ED can work on a console in my mind. Should also be a decent way of controlling it whilst using an Oculus Rift, if I ever get one.

• Upvote 1

I'm Cmdr Arnold Rimmer, currently flying a hauler but hoping to upgrade to a Viper in a couple of days. :) I'm using a 360 pad and keyboard, as well as an EDtracker for head movement.

Can you change your name? I'm just thinking of when you get really good, you can become Ace.

• Upvote 2

I go full pelt until I am 250-200 units away, then pull back so the yellow bar is at the bottom of the blue section, then increase throttle to the top of the blue, then 'juggle' the yellow bar to keep it around the center of the blue bar by reducing and increasing the throttle. always ensuring the velocity will reduce still... it seems you can get caught by gravity and that stops your decelerating quickly enough to not have to do a spin around.

Nearly broke and bought a new gfx card and the beta .

But stayed strong, not long till release now , I can hold out!

• Upvote 1

Anyone about? Just chillin around Morgor smashing pirates. I now have 3 5kills...

People are starting to team up as pirates, amazing scenes just about getting away from a fight and only 33% hull left vs 3 humanoids. Lucky I escaped as the gold I found was worth 50 000.

How do you set up a group? Guess that's the best way to team up?

Finally got my Cobra III, with no insurance and nothing but two guns. Might have to do a bit more trade to trick it out, then I want to explore the map, try out these combat zones, maybe try some of this bounty hunting, etc.

That'll probably be it for me ahead of launch, I don't want to run it into the ground, and I don't see the need to get an Anaconda or anything silly.

If youre around Morgor be on the lookout for a Leon Backburner in a transport ship. He was a sitting duck with his Wanted sig. So started hacking at his shields. Then suddenly I'm under attack. He doesnt have line of sight on me so a bit confused, especially as there was no one previously on radar. Well yeah you guessed, his mate must have been silent running and he was being used as bait. Bait which almost bit it and ended up having to ram me.

I dont think the cobra's jump reach is as good as the viper. Pretty sure. You may be better off getting tooled out with a viper with missiles for fun and maybe some armour.

Nearly broke and bought a new gfx card and the beta .

But stayed strong, not long till release now , I can hold out!

I caved and bought the Beta. I was going to hold out at least until my X-55 arrived, and possibly my rift too, but since the rift is a month or so away and the X-55 is currently in customer-service-hell I thought fuck it. Haven't actually had any time to look at it properly yet though.

• Upvote 2

I got back to my cobra... Was a bit keen so only had 10k after purchase... no problem just run some carry missions!

On my way into somewhere I decide to stop at a unknown signal for NO REASON... only bloody grain, but I pick one up for lulz..

Head into the station to hand in my mission... SUDDENLY SCANNED! and the station sees my 'stolen' grain and opens fire... I am through the gate and as quick as I can turn around and try and head out, but before I can KABOOM! blown to bits!

Now I am sat with 2.5k... not enough for insurance! AND a 3k fine incoming for failing the mission :0

What a pain!

I have now managed to work up to 60k doing carry missions but zoinks I am making heavy weather of this game :D More fun than grinding a route though I guess!

It is fun, isn't it? :D

I had a small fortune from the Premium Beta and a Cobra that's all gone - only just got to play the Beta over the weekend so I'm not too fussed about spending time putting much effort into it. Found some nice bugs though and as there's little to no penalty for going and blasting things (free sidewinder? Why, thanksverymuch!), I've just been collecting bounties. Made around 10,000 credits just flying around looking at stuff. Without being a dick though, although I think I've decided to shoot CMDR Backer on sight :P

My favourite change in the Beta is how the docking lift judders around when moving the ship. It used to be silky smooth but quite happily grinds and stutters around now with added sound effects that feel very industrial (but only industrial stations).

Missions are great, and seeing 'supercruisers' (that look like comets!) fly past you is bloody epic. Graphical tweaks and DAT SOUND. It just keeps getting better and better!

Screenshot!

post-2171-0-33210300-1407141826_thumb.pn

That bay numbering system is fucked.

If it wasnt it would be (too) obvious where you should land in terms of it being a game.

How do you pay off bounties without going into a station that will kill you? Because I had a fine that I didn't pay, which will now apparently roll over into a bounty and I couldnt even log off docked at Azeban because the docking requests kept timing out like 20 in a row last night.

Also I have no insurance on this Cobra.

I don't know about fines! i have 3k one for a particular station but I am not going to go there to pay it off.. Hopefully you can just pay someone in the 'contacts' section once it becomes a bounty??

Anyway I am in a type 6 now so expect more wall crashing fun soon!

luCFL7s.jpg

Dam it!! I just spent £10 on 4 custom paint jobs for my Eagle.. Now to back it up with some weaponry. Two gimballed beam lasers and a missile launcher should do the trick.