Elite Dangerous - Odyssey paid update due early 2021

Ok, weird question: I tried applying a docking override where the throttle controls did forward and reverse thrust instead. Worked fine at take-off, but when landing the ship seemed to have picked a forward speed and kept going at it. I could manually thrust to reduce speed but when I let go it would speed up again. 

Bug? Have I misunderstood something? Do I have to be at rest before deploying landing gear?

12 hours ago, Alex W. said:

The PS4 pad actually works quite well for it, but I might keep an eye out for a second hand one.

Being wired, £75 and me not having a desk are also factors.

The PS4 HOTAS stick is fine on your lap though, I have what is essentially exactly the same stick and that's how I've always used it.

It's been over a year since I docked my ship at Daedalus station in the Sol system. Not sure why I left it behind - but dusting off the Python and taking it out for a spin felt good. Took a while to get used to the controls again but the muscle memory kicked in and it was soon second nature.

So, what have I missed? Is Mukhang still a going concern? Is it worth heading back there and checking out the Symposium? Do we have any other systems under our influence?

Sitting in my ship, staring at the ships coming and going and deciding what to do next while the Galnet news tells me about the impact of the Thargoid conflict - which seems a universe away - and some latest intrigue involving the Jamesons' descendants is the kind of game experience I didn't realise I'd been missing for the past 20 years.

God damn it's good to be back in Elite.

On 30/04/2018 at 09:56, SharkyOB said:

The PS4 HOTAS stick is fine on your lap though, I have what is essentially exactly the same stick and that's how I've always used it.

You say on your lap ... but you have it on some kind of tray that's on your lap, not the stick and throttle just on your lap, right? Because that's ... no. That won't work. I have the PS4 hotas, it's not possible on your lap unless you have thighs like Arnie. 

9 hours ago, Thor said:

You say on your lap ... but you have it on some kind of tray that's on your lap, not the stick and throttle just on your lap, right? Because that's ... no. That won't work. I have the PS4 hotas, it's not possible on your lap unless you have thighs like Arnie. 

I don't get this, I've always used it on my lap (no tray) and it's fine.  I certainly do not have thighs like Arnie!

Edit - the two halves of the stick have to be attached for this to work, of course.

On 4/27/2018 at 12:55, monkeydog said:

The Mac support in ED is ending in Q4 if anyone's using one here.  You'll have to use bootcamp to play.

Looks like the lighting changes etc planned for the q4 release wouldn't work on the ancient version of openGL Mac's use.  Guess investing in a Metal version of FDev's Cobra engine isn't worth it, given the size of the Mac gaming market.

No surprise.

Apple's OpenGL support is why the Mac version of Elite Dangerous does not even have (and will never have) Horizons, let alone Beyond.

Every time I go to switch to alternate flight controls I click R3, because it affects the right stick, but the function's on L3. Should I just remap this? Is there any sane reason not to?

Another noob question, presumably it's just a bug that my hardpoints deploy every time I try to use my scanner outside of supercruise? As soon as I pull that trigger, if hardpoints can deploy, they do.

Also, regular scanning is buggy, right? I have to use the discovery scanner to get scan results for nav beacons at point blank range instead of just targeting them, usually.

If your scanner is in a fire group, it will deploy hardpoints by default when you press either primary or secondary fire outside of superscruise. You can turn this off in the control options, but I don't know if you will need to manually deploy your hardpoints to use your scanner. 

Not sure what you mean about regular scanning. You just have to be facing your target (so it sits within your targeting area) , and within a certain distance (depending on your scanner and the objects mass) before scanning will start. 

On 30/04/2018 at 13:07, starls said:

It's been over a year since I docked my ship at Daedalus station in the Sol system. Not sure why I left it behind - but dusting off the Python and taking it out for a spin felt good. Took a while to get used to the controls again but the muscle memory kicked in and it was soon second nature.

So, what have I missed? Is Mukhang still a going concern? Is it worth heading back there and checking out the Symposium? Do we have any other systems under our influence?

Last time I was in the area, we had just reclaimed Mukhang, and we owned a number of neighbouring systems too (3 or 4). That was about a month ago though, might have changed since then. 

On 05/05/2018 at 00:01, Alex W. said:

Another noob question, presumably it's just a bug that my hardpoints deploy every time I try to use my scanner outside of supercruise? As soon as I pull that trigger, if hardpoints can deploy, they do.

Also, regular scanning is buggy, right? I have to use the discovery scanner to get scan results for nav beacons at point blank range instead of just targeting them, usually.

On 05/05/2018 at 09:23, Polmon said:

If your scanner is in a fire group, it will deploy hardpoints by default when you press either primary or secondary fire outside of superscruise. You can turn this off in the control options, but I don't know if you will need to manually deploy your hardpoints to use your scanner. 

Not sure what you mean about regular scanning. You just have to be facing your target (so it sits within your targeting area) , and within a certain distance (depending on your scanner and the objects mass) before scanning will start. 

For scanners, hardpoints only need to be deployed for those fitted to a utility slot (e.g. Kill Warrant Scanner, FSD Wake Scanner). No need to deploy hardpoints to use a Discovery Scanner or Detailed Surface Scanner.

On 05/05/2018 at 09:33, Polmon said:

Last time I was in the area, we had just reclaimed Mukhang, and we owned a number of neighbouring systems too (3 or 4). That was about a month ago though, might have changed since then. 

https://inara.cz/galaxy-minorfaction/36577/

https://inara.cz/galaxy-starsystem/15502/

Still controlling Mukhang, but in second place so that could change.

This game has it in for me. First I pick up some fines on the planetary disable mission and get blasted into ash by someone somewhere within a second of take off, then on my way home from jail a space station’s entry field firmly turns me around and puts me back inside the station, I get fined for trespassing, and I have to run off.

Dusting off the sticks again for a jaunt this afternoon.

Got the rep for a Cutter but not the cash so a quick grind -if there is such a thing- will be needed. 

Anyone have some tips on modern ways to get a cash injection? Back when I needed cash "in the old days" it used to be the occasional gold rush before Frontier stomped on it, but mostly rare commodities trading etc.

I have a bunch of ships all decked out (Vulture, Asp Explorer, Clipper and some others) so can cover most mechanics.. 

15 minutes ago, Masu said:

Dusting off the sticks again for a jaunt this afternoon.

Got the rep for a Cutter but not the cash so a quick grind -if there is such a thing- will be needed. 

Anyone have some tips on modern ways to get a cash injection? Back when I needed cash "in the old days" it used to be the occasional gold rush before Frontier stomped on it, but mostly rare commodities trading etc.

I have a bunch of ships all decked out (Vulture, Asp Explorer, Clipper and some others) so can cover most mechanics.. 

Ceos and Sothis Federation missions, lots and lots of them going between the same two places. Can rack up quite bit of cash for a few hours play.

28 minutes ago, Danster said:

Ceos and Sothis Federation missions, lots and lots of them going between the same two places. Can rack up quite bit of cash for a few hours play.

Sweet, Ill have a pop over and check it out.

Cheers!

You can also do Meta Alloy delivery missions from Maya for mega bucks. Can't remember the station name though! 

Just on my way back from the galactic core now. Swung via a few points on my way out (including Colonia, Great Annihilator, and Black in Green) and tagged some nice Earth Like World's, and a system with 5 black holes too. 

Sagittarius A is a lovely place to get some screenshots, I love the effects the black holes cause on the surrounding area. 

Spoiler

3CwZtye.jpg

Spoiler

yK0Er20.jpg

You can apparently still make good money doing the Parutis-Medb passenger run - just be prepared for that 40 minute supercruise journey!

(Frontier nerfed the crazy high payout bulk passenger missions, but I've seen people say that the VIP passenger missions still pay a lot.)

Okay, I figured out what was going wrong with scanning. It was only ever affecting Nav Beacons. It turns out that when you lock on one from the navigation screen, although it shows the actual beacon object on your little scan screen, you’re actually locked on to a weird non-simulated placeholder object that you can’t interact with, including by scanning.

You need to get to the rough vicinity of the placeholder, then spot the actual beacon or choose the beacon from your contacts list (not the beacon listed in navigation!) and lock on to that.

Ahhh, yes. That is a little confusing at first. The game differentiates between navigational targets (planets, stars, signal sources etc) and interaction targets (ships, beacons, canisters etc) and they behave differently. The round targets (yellow semi-circle) are things you can arrive at, these are just points in space, not things you can interact with. Everything else will have angular target brackets when selected. Another way to think about it is stuff on the navigation tab is just destinations, while stuff on the contacts tab can be scanned / shot / picked up. 

That's interesting but the game's other combined interaction/navigation targets, and probably the things you navigate to most frequently in the game - starports  - operate on a completely different principle. In that case the nav target and the actual interaction target are exactly the same thing, and once you're locked on you're good. You're trained from the outset that this is how navigation works and then it turns out that, actually, that's the only case where this applies.

I can understand why it works a certain way for conflict zones etc., where there is an ill-defined area that may contain more than one target, but it's really unintuitive for anything else. Makes me wonder if starports originally worked on the same principle as nav beacons etc., people got sick of how that worked, and that one case was fixed.

Anyway, motion headlook on the PS4 is amazing when you're navigating at inappropriate speed or near an object:

1664524580_Overshot-001_.gif.16fce1aede278b462666ab1031f11a6a.gif

Bonus Weekend: Trade & Engineering - Now live! (24/05 to 30/05)

Clean out those cargo racks and get yourselves ready for a booming bank holiday (extended) weekend!

Starting from today to May 30, Commanders will see an increase to trading profits across the galaxy and the famous engineers will be reducing the material costs for their engineering recipes. 

Want the lead when it comes to lasers? Well… visiting The Dweller has never been more appealing!

Date and Time: From today to (approximately) 11:00 AM UTC on May 30.

Bonuses:

• All profits from trading activities will be increased (the amount of profit will vary depending on what you are shipping and where you’re shipping it to. Rare commodities are excluded from this bonus.)
  • The materials requested for engineering recipes will be at one rank below the existing ones (cheapening the current cost of engineering your modules.) Edit: There are 5 ranks for materials (as can be seen in the Material Trader) and 5 ranks for engineering recipes, and these are two different ranks. This bonus relates to the rank of materials, not the rank of engineering recipes. The cost for engineering a module at Grade 5 will use Grade 4 equivalent materials, not the materials seen in Grade of the engineering recipe of that same module. We have made the changes ingame to reflect the bonus, what you see ingame right now is what you need for engineering a module during this bonus period.

In addition to these ingame bonuses, there will also be a 25% off discount on a huge selection of Frontier Store items during this period. Check it out here! 

Haul far and prosper, Commanders!

If you have anything that still needs Engineering - especially Grade 5 - then now is the time! :)

I've been playing this a bit again recently. I was far out of the bubble so headed back over the course of several days, deciding that I wanted to finally do an FSD upgrade with Felicity Farseer, something I started doing long ago but never finished. Long story short, I got to hers and sold all my exploration points (which I immediately realised was a mistake since I already had her unlocked up to grade 5, but never mind) then went about collecting the last bits of materials for the upgrade. Finally I get back to her station with everything I need, and she is showing as being back at grade 1. What gives? All that's happened in the couple of days since I last checked in on her (and she was definitely at grade 5) is that I lost my ship - this wouldn't affect engineer standing would it?

I see there is a message at the bottom of the engineering modifications screen which says "To craft higher grade blueprints you have to have completed all lower grade blueprints of the same type" - wtf! Since when?

I think that the new Engineering system is far better, overall, than the old one.

Sure, you do need to start from Grade 1 with each mod, but: the next roll is always better, materials are easier to acquire thanks to material traders, experimental effects are separate and don't cost reputation, etc.