Elite Dangerous - Odyssey paid update due early 2021

I've never actually used missiles. My Cobra has MCs and Beams.

Pump some money into that FSD and Thrusters when you can afford it. The Cobra is a *very* fast and manoeuvrable ship when it's got good Thrusters, and that FSD is holding your jump range back a lot. I would eventually A-rate the lot when you have the credits, except for the Life Support and maybe the Sensors - for Life Support and Sensors I tend to leave them at D-rated for the decreased mass, and I don't think what you get for the cost of A-rating them is worth the power consumption.

How often do you use the Wake Scanner? Unless you do a lot of assassination missions, a Kill Warrant Scanner may be more useful (well, if you do bounty hunting it would be at least).

My original Cobra started off being used for missions and rare trade runs. I eventually made it into a tank for Conflict Zones and bounty hunting, before I sold it and bought a maxxed-out Vulture. My current Cobra is outfitted for light trade and combat ... and also "cargo acquisition" (I've not yet tried my hand at that career path, though).

Arrived in Mukhang and did my first mission for the Symposium tonight :)   A data recovery mission.  Dropped in at the mission location and scooped up the canister, then received an optional mission to take on a pirate who was also after the data.  I'm in a Vulture and he ravaged my shields in seconds in a Python; but managed to escape and dock with 20% hull intact! :D  I don't remember getting pulverised so quickly when I played before.

Oh, cool. Yesterday Mukhang. Today Heimat and, erm...Basuseku(!?). Tomorrow, the UNIVERSE!

Last night, for the first time, I finally went to erm, Baseseku? Whatever it's called. Did a couple of passenger missions for the Symposium from there, but wound up on a planet in another system that had ZERO missions and ZERO passenger missions for any of the seven factions, so I logged off in disgust.

I'm a bit frazzled after going 8K light years and back again for the exploration CG**, but finding nothing but a crash to desktop on a planet out there that looks like it's meant to be a part of the background "story" about the Formidine Rift. And, now that I'm back in the bubble, there's confirmation that they're looking at the bug. I am not flying back. NOT. Well,not tonight anyway....

**Yeah, I know, for exploration CGs you can hand in scan data from anywhere!

Sounds like you had a better evening than me.  

Launched from station, jumped into hyperspace and my pc screen went bright red and crashed on me.  Resetting the thing now gives me a blank screen on start up after bios.  Google skills suggest it's driver related.  

Long weekend end coming up. So instead of playing elite I'll be dicking about trying to get the thing to work :(

Just run missions for Rll Mukhang symposium, the missions change based on the system status, leave it a few minutes or change stations and you will get different missions.

You can find our agents in all stations in: Mukhang - home system we control it it, Basuseku and Heimat. 

Personally I think we should try and get control of Basuseku as our focus as its the most rewarding system, it has excellent Res sites.

Just hit Expert rank :) 

Well res sites are good for mining , but also for bounty hunting, personally i wouldnt touch mining with a barge pole, Eve put pay to that. But if its your bag I understand you can make money from it. 

What im saying is you can get missions to do whatever you want, so you decide on your preferred play choice and do that.

Also the best way of increasing our standing in Basuseku is to run rll muk missions. 

In Mukhang because we control the system you can cash in exploration data, trade goods and bounties and up your standing with us. 

Do we own a station in Basuseku to do that stuff there? 

RES = Resource Extraction Site.

They're found in rings, and come in different levels - e.g. High RES have a healthy system authority presence, making them great for bounty hunting as you get help from the AI; while Hazardous RES will have better enemy spawns *but* are more risky.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Resource_Extraction_Site

22 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Should I ignore jobs for other factions, such as Mukhang Commodities/Future/Public Partners?

Yes.

You should only do missions for RLL Mukhang Symposium (and only cash in bounties for them, only sell exploration data at starports owned by them, and only trade at starports owned by them). Helping rival factions by doing otherwise would come at the expense of hurting the RLL Mukhang Symposium.

You don't have to pledge to any 'Super Power' to help Rllmuk's tiny faction expand, that's something called Powerplay and is for expanding the influence of a Super Power. You get bonuses for doing Powerplay stuff the more you help them but i find it all a bit dull.  

4 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

And what about pledging allegiance to a Galactic Power?  I'm guessing Empire, but which one?

No need unless you want to bother with Powerplay.

It can make things annoying if you travel to territory controlled by a Power that's an enemy of the one you're pledged to (e.g. if you pledged allegiance to Imperial Princess Aisling, the Space Khaleesi, and then decided to go to a system controlled by a Federation Power such as Hudson, you would be marked as "Hostile" and be open to attack from anyone (player or NPC) working for Hudson). Some people enjoy that, of course, but it can be a pain if you aren't looking for (or outfitted for) combat.

Also, Powers (Powerplay people such as Aisling and Hudson) are different from Superpowers / Major Factions (Federation, Empire, Alliance).

You can be friendly - or even allied - with one, two, or all three Superpowers, with no negative consequence, and can even go about working to raise your rank in the Federal and Imperial navies in parallel.

I think you have to take out the skimmers using the SRV, also you don't have to take out the base. You can just land nearby and scout about the perimiter and come across skimmers that way instead. The ones away from the base tend to be Wanted too so you don't get any bounty problems.

I've been following this game since the kickstarter but haven't had a system capable of playing it until my new work laptop arrived with GeForce card in it. Cue me starting to take my laptop home with me...

I was a massive Elite fan back in the day, and also spent a bit of time with First Encounters, but so far this game is massively better than either of them.

I havent upgraded my Sidewinder because I was paranoid about getting blown up, but now have 130kc so think I'll take the plunge on an Adder. I've got a massive tourist itinerary drawn up already that includes Sol, Hutton, Alioth, Lave, Riedquat and Achenar, but I'll probably wait until I've got a Cobra before setting off. After that I suppose it's my duty to make the pilgrimage to Mukhang!

It turned me off the game.  At one point I was enjoying running bounty hunter missions, but then a patch introduced lots of new mission types and half of them didnt work correctly or were written/explained so badly that I gave up.  And the one type of missions I did like became so rare, I lost all enthusiasm :(

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I tried this this morning - nothing.  But when I got close to the colony in my SRV and targeted a skimmer, it said "Mission Target".  So again I took out the ship there (it gave me a beating) and the three turrets, and then tried taking them out on my SRV.  IMPOSSIBLE!!  My SRV was blown to pieces by the skimmers in seconds.  I had no chance.

On top of that, the mission has disappeared from my transactions list.  I haven't failed it, or ran out of time - there's no message of disappointment from RLL.  It's just gone.

This game is a mess. 

edit: I also had a little go at interdicting a wanted ship.  A royal pain in the arse with the joypad controls. Likewise for being interedicted - it's far simpler to just submit and take them out than try and avoid.  

You don't need to take out the Sentry Skimmers at the base for them to count towards your mission target. Any sentry skimmers you encounter within the vicinity of the outpost will count as they will all be affiliated to that faction.

Just use your scanner to search for resources - some of which will be protected by 3 (sometimes 4) skimmers which are a doddle to take our with your SRV

I don't think the game is a mess, but I feel for LeChuck. I do not understand how someone can be so incompetent at writing quest descriptions. I am pretty sure they are doing it on purpose so you don't get handed everything on a silver plater but that is always a bad choice in my design book.

40 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Furthermore, they take up all your cargo space. :facepalm:

Almost everything in this game is a barrier to fun. Bloody hell. 

The use of limpet/prospector mines for mining is optional, so if you do decide to use them then of course they'll take up cargo space. Where else are you going to store them? Up your arse?