Elite Dangerous - Odyssey paid update due early 2021

OK, here's some links to bookmark to start with, @Captain LeChuck:

On 9/14/2016 at 20:25, Tezcatlipoca said:

3 hours ago, Danster said:

Muk zone is in the empire, can earn your rep and help the symposium at the same time... :P

Yup, but I am using the ..erm .. "Easter egg" Aditi run at the moment, but to get the Cutter you need to be Duke, Prince or King- and I am a lowly Viscount, still three ranks away.

But Ill be there by the weekend!

I am having to earn money on the way too as the ship isn't exactly cheap (and the upgrades will cost.. shit, best not to speculate) but I can weave in the occasional slightly illegal terr..  freedom action in to boost the balance. Ill need a lot.

And then there are the Engineer upgrade mats.. and the ones I still need faction for..

I was initially worried with ED that one you had the "best" ship etc the drive to keep playing would diminish massively, as the "goals" would be much less rewarding, RP aside. 

But Frontier have kept up the support and updates- to both the expansion and the non-expanded version- and added a hell of a lot of content as well as the usual balancing and new ships, and now they have a whole sector "locked off" to allow behind-the-scenes design to be done it doesn't look like they are going to stop any time soon.

Love this game, still.

59 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

Can I join in with the PC crowd if I'm playing on XBox?

It's not cross platform in that you won't be put in instances and be able to form wings with PC players, but it's all one galaxy so you can affect the same world events and help the forum player faction just the same. Lots of us are on XBox.

Yeah, how quickly can a noob join in and somehow contribute? I honestly forget where I am, haven't played for months. But if there's any way I can chip away at promoting the greater good, I'm all over that. Is there an earlier post that references all this new stuff you're doing? It sounds like an EVE corporation without the corporation.

4 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Hmm, maybe I'll wait until the whole lot is on offer. I've got plenty of games to tide me over until the Xmas break.

Just, buy it anyway! :)

35 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

Oooh  good.    Where/how do I sign up?

28 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Yeah, how quickly can a noob join in and somehow contribute? I honestly forget where I am, haven't played for months. But if there's any way I can chip away at promoting the greater good, I'm all over that. Is there an earlier post that references all this new stuff you're doing? It sounds like an EVE corporation without the corporation.

Make your way to the MUKHANG system, home of the RLL MUKHANG SYMPOSIUM.

You can then help the Symposium by doing jobs for it (and only it) from the Mission Boards, trading with the Symposium at its starport, cashing in bounties for the Symposium only, selling exploration data to the Symposium only...

Post with links to past posts on factions etc. :

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/266164-elite-dangerous-rllmuk-space/&page=260#comment-11088872

Oh, also...

When in supercruise, keep the needle blue (not just in the blue zone, but actually blue) to use auto-speed so as to not overshoot your target and be forced to do the loop of shame. Alternatively, max it out if you want, but make sure that you drop it to blue no later than (IIRC) 7 seconds remaining.

When entering hyperspace, throttle down to zero once the countdown has started (may also be able to do it during hyperspace again now?) so as to not shoot right out the other end at full speed and risk splatting into a star. (Been a while since I've played, but I think this is still useful?)

The controls work *really* well with a pad, but you can fully customise them and make them even better. Some suggestions:

- Change it so that landing gear uses something other than "B + D-pad down" so as to avoid accidentally boosting (B on its own) when approaching a starport and splatting into the letterbox or the docking bay (we've all done it :blush: )

- Add control combos for things such as chaff, shield cells, and heat sinks to remove the need to have them assigned to firegroups.

- Have a play with what the sticks do. I spent ages using the control method that used (IIRC) the LS for pitch/roll and the RS for yaw and vertical thrust, switching to alt-controls when landing so as to have lateral thrust on RS as well as vertical. But, I later started using what I think is called "yaw into roll", where small (customisable) l/r movements of the LS make the ship yaw and larger (customisable) l/r movements make it roll instead. It meant that I could keep the RS just for vertical *and* lateral thrust, and removed the need to use the alt-controls altogether. But, really, just experiment and find what suits you...

I've not played ED much recently, as I went back to Destiny and more recently Titanfall 2, so I've not really experienced the rather major changes of 1.7/2.2. Need to get back to space...

2 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Tried plotting a course to the Mukhang system, "Route plotting failed".  That's great. <_<

It's because your ship's jump range is too low. It can't find a route that your ship can handle. I had that at the start as well. I also had the tutorial fury as well. I was getting killed by the BEGINNER combat tutorial ship. 

I tried and gave up at the tutorial stage a couple of times, a few months apart. It all felt overwhelming and like nothing made sense. Third time, two weeks ago, was the same. Except this time, instead of giving up, I got on TeamSpeak with Strategos. It was way more helpful. I skipped the tutorials and went into the main game. He answered all my questions and I realised it all actually does make sense. Within an hour I was flying and landing and exploring and upgrading to a Hauler with its bigger jump range (you could also go to Outfitting at a station and get a better frame shift drive, but that brings a whole new bunch of questions about power management and such, though Strategos answered all those too!) and on my way to Mukhang. Now today it's all second nature and I've upgraded ships a few times, done different roles, love exploring and bounty-hunting, and am completely addicted. 

So yeah, it really is infuriating on your own at the start. So if you can, play a session with someone who has already done all that and can explain it better than the tutorials. I play on PC, but if you can get on TeamSpeak on a laptop while you play on Xbox I'd be happy to talk you through a few things. Or, even better, I'm usually on there with Strategos and Sponge, who would be even better for that. 

On 23/11/2016 at 00:45, Tezcatlipoca said:

When entering hyperspace, throttle down to zero once the countdown has started (may also be able to do it during hyperspace again now?) so as to not shoot right out the other end at full speed and risk splatting into a star. (Been a while since I've played, but I think this is still useful?)

Yeah, if you're a wuss! :P real men skim the star  without slowing down. ;)

About the stuttering, Frontier really are not very good at this - or simply the game is too complex, I don't know. I get stuttering on rare occasions even on PC, where I can run the game 60fps solid with no drops. Support can't do anything about it and there is no solution for those who have it. It is a fucked up situation. A developer had said -but then changed his tunes more or less- that there is an internal problem with the engine that causes this, but it is very low priority because of the few people that it affects. I am guessing there are way more people suffering from this (forums are full with stutter issues from time to time) but probably they don't mind.

I can't imagine you have any options on the bone like editing configs and such LeChuck, so if it persists I would suggest contacting  support. Maybe you will be lucky. :)

I made my initial money by hanging out at a system's jump point, which is where everyone warps into when entering the system. Scan ships to see those that are wanted, glance over your shoulder to make sure the local polis are there to bail you out if you make a hash of it, then light up the target.