Elite Dangerous - Odyssey paid update due early 2021

I've been to the ruins, and a couple of the "hot theory" planets that crop up from various theories on the official forums. Haven't seen anything interesting yet though.

I reckon people have solved the ruins mystery, but we found them too soon and there's just no more content ready yet.

Interestingly though, elite's official novelist has tweeted today that he hopes everyone interested in the mysteries have fully updated their game in time for Thursday.

Thursday is always new CG day, so I'm guessing there'll be a CG related to all the mystery stuff this week. Probably as underwhelming as all the others so far though.

So now it looks like I'm going to be investing in this again I might as well go ahead and upgrade to horizons.  What's the best (cheapest) way of doing that?  Wait for Black Friday in the vain hope that it'll go on sale again?  If so how does the save carry over?

Thanks

2 hours ago, davidcotton said:

So now it looks like I'm going to be investing in this again I might as well go ahead and upgrade to horizons.  What's the best (cheapest) way of doing that?  Wait for Black Friday in the vain hope that it'll go on sale again?  If so how does the save carry over?

Thanks

Not sure if they'll have a sale planned or not.

When you buy it your save will just carry over, as it's hosted on their servers. You'll need to download the Horizons client to play the additional features.

On 15/11/2016 at 13:22, Strategos said:

As far as I can tell, we will have a small amount of influence in a new system when it's complete. I had some missions redirect me to Hemait but I think that's just a coincidence?

When the expansion is over it should just be a matter of checking nearby systems for ones that Symposium now exists in, then we run missions in that system to bring up our influence.

Are we able to influence which system we expand to?

Been having fun doing Horizon missions on planets, bezzing around finding skimmers to shoot, dying trying to attack heavily armed fortresses. Crashing into Cmder Sponge. 

I found the planet stuff a bit aimless originally, but with a goal its pretty nice , at least to mix things up occasionally. It also adds yet another sense of scale to the game which I love. 

9 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Is now a good time to dive in, or should I wait for deals nearer/after Xmas?

Personally, I'd wait til next week. Steam will have a Thanksgiving sale and Horizons may be discounted. If it is, you win. If it isn't, you don't lose much.

Do we have a plan for Basuseku? looks like we've got missions available at all the bases, so do we hit everything we can or concentrate on one?

I think just hitting everything will expand us across the system and then we'll see what happens, I'm not particularly bothered about making all the bases belong to us, let's just concentrate on getting as many systems as possible.

I tend to cruise across all stations in the system to pick up missions from the Symposium as they often target deliveries etc to the same systems / stations - so I don't see any harm in that manner.

I've just paid off ~500,000 bounty from Basuseku (due to the Symposium's electioneering efforts a couple of weeks back) as well so the timing is pretty good for me

19 hours ago, Danster said:

Best thing is to wait until we've got a base in system, then turn in Empire bounties there. We'll get influence for that, I've been eyeing up the RES areas too. :)

If I have Empire Bounties, I just hop next door back to Mukhang and hand them in there.

One thing about bounty hunting in the res areas.  What happens if we down an npc of the symposium that's wanted?  Is that good or bad?

To aid the Symposium in establishing themselves as ruling faction of Mukhang I had to undertake some dirty work, and in doing so I earned myself hefty bounties from rival faction(s). I still have these bounties on my head thus I'm still classed as 'Wanted'. So, no, it's not "fine to kill" me.

Kiling symposium ships hurts your relationship with the faction and also hurts our influence - a tiny tiny bit per ship.

Even if they're wanted. Wanted they may be, but they're not wanted by the symposium, they're wanted by our enemies.

Spend long enough in any res and you'll start to get relationship downgrade messages from whichever factions you're wailing on.

27 minutes ago, Strategos said:

Don't see many Mukkers in the area, you all playing in solo play? 

No point really as there are no hostile players in our little backwater! 

I play Open all the time, I'm just having a week or two off Titanfalling while they (hopefully) address the money/passenger bugs that were introduced in the Guardians update.  Are you on PC or Xbox?

41 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I will be buying this very shortly as it's on offer at the moment. 

Any good guides available to walk me through the early steps and put me on my way to getting a great ship and making money? I'm not precious about spoilers or anything like learning it for myself. It's a space sim, not Mass Effect.

Lots of helpful links have been posted throughout this thread by myself and others. I'll try and dig some out later.

Make sure you do the tutorials, though, and watch the videos. It's more friendly to new players than it was when I got it at launch on Xbox, but it still has a learning curve.

It's worth it, though :)