Elite Dangerous - Odyssey paid update due early 2021

So I've been banging out trade missions all weekend for the Symposium and am now Allied with them. Checked our status this evening and our influence has increased to joint top - 43% - Elections are now pending between us and Empire Grace.

That's exciting! How long does it take to decide an election?

Okay sounds like the run up to elections is 2 days, the elections themselves run for 3-5 days, and then there's a 2 day period post election. 

The main thing I've read about election time is that combat missions DO NOT count towards influence at that time. So I'm guessing we need to raise our influence above that of the Emporer's Grace by trading, passenger missions, mining, exploration etc... until the election period is up. 

Robotics and other technology seems to be in short supply, I'll probably stick with the passenger missions, whenever I do those it says that civil unrest has been decreased with the Symposium so imagine it will help the influence during an election.

Good description of states and faction influence here:

http://elitediplomats.com/?q=content/working-background-simulation-guide-turlorn

1 hour ago, Danster said:

Okay sounds like the run up to elections is 2 days, the elections themselves run for 3-5 days, and then there's a 2 day period post election. 

The main thing I've read about election time is that combat missions DO NOT count towards influence at that time. So I'm guessing we need to raise our influence above that of the Emporer's Grace by trading, passenger missions, mining, exploration etc... until the election period is up. 

Robotics and other technology seems to be in short supply, I'll probably stick with the passenger missions, whenever I do those it says that civil unrest has been decreased with the Symposium so imagine it will help the influence during an election.

Good description of states and faction influence here:

http://elitediplomats.com/?q=content/working-background-simulation-guide-turlorn

Is there a high tec system near Mukhang?  Had a couple of low level missions to get tech but could find nowhere near that would have them?

Did one "quick" 31 jump trip to deliver data last night.  Completely uneventful aside from the last 10 seconds coming into the base, when I got interdicted. 

1 hour ago, davidcotton said:

Is there a high tec system near Mukhang?  Had a couple of low level missions to get tech but could find nowhere near that would have them?

Did one "quick" 31 jump trip to deliver data last night.  Completely uneventful aside from the last 10 seconds coming into the base, when I got interdicted. 

There is a system about 40lys away that sells robots...  this one:

https://eddb.io/system/16665

I've been there a couple of times to get robots.

2 hours ago, davidcotton said:

I love it when you have a Pirate chasing you from system to system "The rumours were right..." "I'm surprised you made it this far..." etc etc only to be interdicted and find they're in some crappy Asp Scout that my Python lights up in about 5 seconds flat.

Was out delivering goods the other night (so far I haven't been able to work out how to fire packages at the side of a station before leaving a "we missed you" card which is how most couriers round my way operate), when I was interdicted by a member of the Emperor's Grace.

Sometimes, when hauling goods for someone, I'll pull a Firefly and rabbit at the first sign of trouble. Not this time. Not for this Emperor's Grace chump.

My Asp wasn't really fit for combat, but I pounded his vulture into dust. The cops turned up and scanned me, they didn't mention the guy I'd just savagely killed or the debris cloud I was sitting in, but I could tell there was an implied "good job" in their "carry on, Commander."

Fuck you, Emperor's Grace. You're finished in this town.

Is there a limit to how many systems a faction can spread to?

There must be, because if a small group can take over Mukhang as quickly as it looks like we're going to, then larger, more organised groups should have taken significantly large areas of the bubble by now.

Do we have (or can we list) a roster of those Commanders that are actively basing their operations around (and for) the Symposium?

That might give us an idea of how large we can spread. The link @Danster provided earlier stated that a system with 1.5m population could be influenced by just one commander. Mukhang has (I think) ~17m population.

Well even though I'm a decorated hero of the glorious Federation and despised by everyone in and around Mukhang, and even though I'm fully allied with all the factions in Sol and can earn several million credits taking on a few missions from there at a time as opposed to the meagre sub-100k credit missions I'm getting being allied to the Mukhang Symposium, I have decided for the time being to make the Nerberger (?) Hub in Mukhang my home. I have already transferred my mighty personal fleet there (Sidewinder, Eagle and Vulture) and am committing myself to the Symposium cause because (1) I'm a Mukk'er, (2) I want to get a greater understanding of how factions/politics work, and (c) I'm hoping to take down the whole Empire from within.

Cmdr Karzee (Xbox)

12 minutes ago, Strategos said:

Im alliance in Powerplay, should I ditch that ? 

I had originally pledged allegiance to Zachary Hudson of the Federation, but haven't ever really contributed anything to Powerplay.

I have however just defected to Aisling Duval as her influence, and alignment to the Empire is the closest proximity to Mukhang

We really are in a backwater aren't we?

Our population is 17.6M. But of the 25 next closest systems, none are above 6M in population. Most of them are in the thousands.

I wonder if we can steer our expansion towards somewhere more populated, or if we have to grow in a blob-like fashion from our home...

Not really. I've only dabbled a bit when I first signed up with the Federation (I thought this was the only way to get a permit for the Sol system) and it didn't seem particularly engrossing as a lone pilot. I'd probably get more into it if we were to all be aligned to the same power and all targeted the same agreed systems for defence/expansion. There are definitely some perks to be had for doing it (the more you do each week the more you benefit) plus being aligned to a power means your reputation goes up quicker when doing missions for that power.

This game is very much about getting out of it what you put into it.

51 minutes ago, Argh said:

We really are in a backwater aren't we?

Our population is 17.6M. But of the 25 next closest systems, none are above 6M in population. Most of them are in the thousands.

I wonder if we can steer our expansion towards somewhere more populated, or if we have to grow in a blob-like fashion from our home...

Yeah, who was it who found the system again. The benefit is that we won't be ribbing up against other player factions immediately and that we should expand quite rapidly

10 minutes ago, Danster said:

Yeah, who was it who found the system again. The benefit is that we won't be ribbing up against other player factions immediately and that we should expand quite rapidly

I agree - given our size, a bubble of smaller systems slightly off the beaten track seems potentially quite manageable