Elite Dangerous - Now on Xbox Gamepass

I got back into Elite mainly because I'm looking forward to the next update. 

Im pretty miffed to find this...

VR and Elite Dangerous Odyssey

We understand that our VR players are keen to know more about how the transition and gameplay will work in Odyssey in VR. With that in mind, we would like to share our current plan for how that will work.
In Odyssey, players will be able to fly down to planets, fly through atmospheres and drive along planet surfaces in their SRVs - all while remaining in VR.

When disembarking your ship or SRV, players will be presented with a projected flat game screen in their VR headset in order to continue on foot. Players will of course be able to remove headsets if they so choose, but this will not be a requirement to continue your adventure.

There will be no requirement to boot between Horizons and Odyssey in order to continue your journey.
We understand that VR is a big part of Elite Dangerous and is a feature that holds a dedicated and passionate community. However, we do strongly believe that VR should only be enabled for on foot gameplay when we have an experience that truly matches the same quality bar that we set for cockpits. That said, we do hope that this implementation will allow our VR players the best possible transition between their VR experience and exploration on foot.

Ship Interiors

Another topic we know players keen for more information on is around ship interiors, and we wanted to clarify our current position on this.

While Odyssey will see players explore a wide range of on and off world locations including station interiors, ship interiors will not be included at launch.

We understand that the bond between Commander and starship is incredibly strong and know this will disappointing news for some. However, we believe it is right to invest our development time in locations and features which offer the most meaningful experience and gameplay for all players. Rest assured that Odyssey will offer a great variety of long requested locations to explore, both on land and in space, which we'll be sharing more details around very soon.

As always, we value and appreciate your passion and feedback and cannot wait to share more with you.

Just now, Strategos said:

I really dont understand this? ! Stick a camera on the models head whats the big deal

David Braben - he's a "big deal", and he really doesn't like VR. Frontier don't want to spend resources on making their game work better in VR, and in fairness it's nowhere near as simple as sticking a camera on a head. I daresay that to make Odyssey work in VR would mean making serious compromises to tthe 2D version, and given VR is still niche it's just not going to happen. Not at launch anyway.

Maybe when the tech gets better/more accessible. 

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

David Braben - he's a "big deal", and he really doesn't like VR. Frontier don't want to spend resources on making their game work better in VR, and in fairness it's nowhere near as simple as sticking a camera on a head. I daresay that to make Odyssey work in VR would mean making serious compromises to tthe 2D version, and given VR is still niche it's just not going to happen. Not at launch anyway.

Maybe when the tech gets better/more accessible. 

WTF would braben not like VR ? Isnt it the dream for this kind of game ? 

FPS mods are all over the place. They also have existing VR implentations for all their UI etc. I can't believe this is their solution. I wouldnt care if it was a shonky implentation, and certainly it wouldnt require comprimising the 2d version. 

42 minutes ago, Strategos said:

WTF would braben not like VR ? Isnt it the dream for this kind of game ? 

FPS mods are all over the place. They also have existing VR implentations for all their UI etc. I can't believe this is their solution. I wouldnt care if it was a shonky implentation, and certainly it wouldnt require comprimising the 2d version. 

Surely its as simple as being to do with walking and that not being so great for vr experience

I'll reserve judgement on whether or not this is the right decision when I play the actual on-foot gameplay, but I have to say it doesn't really bother me much. I've fallen out of love with Elite over the last few years, even though the VR is excellent within it, and if new experiences don't support headsets I'm happy to take that to return to the universe.

Fixed cockpit gameplay is massively simpler to present in VR than on-foot. 

6 minutes ago, mrpranny said:

Surely its as simple as being to do with walking and that not being so great for vr experience

This. Free first person movement is awful and barf inducing in VR.  The implementation they've gone for is really sensible for a multiplayer game.

Could be improved by a "press to sightsee" button that switches it back to a VR view to look around at the scenery when on foot.

14 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

Free first person movement is awful and barf inducing in VR. 

That entirely depends on the implementation, and also the person playing. Things have come a long way. Admittedly, I'm one of the lucky ones that can run around in Skyrim for hours on end. 

After the SRV walking would be a blessed releif in VR lets be honest. Elite is a strong VR exeperience, your SRV rolling down a hill out of control!?

Suggesting walking would be less comfortable than this is ... unlikely. 

I have to take motion sickness tablets if im planning on using the SRV.

This is a bloody terrible, lazy solution. 

46 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Surely its because you couldn't have players using teleporting movement in VR? If all other players have to actually walk around.

This makes a lot of sense. Teleportation movement would only work if players saw a blank screen for the duration of their motion, during which they'd still be taking fire from other players who would no doubt be able to exploit things.

There are multiplayer VR shooters, though I've not played those so don't know how they deal with the problem. 

6 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I generally feel anybody throwing out the word "lazy" when talking about development is speaking from a position of ignorance about the work actually required. Are you?

I'm a proffesional VR dev if that helps.

15 minutes ago, Strategos said:

Pardon the scepticism, but your comments give you the appearance of someone who has no idea about game development, VR or otherwise.

52 minutes ago, Strategos said:

Could you elaborate on why it's "lazy", rather than a reallocation of resources to another area? After all, the expansion requires a host of features that aren't currently supported by the game, so is it not more likely to be a case of not wishing to expend effort on a feature for a niche market when it could be put to better use elsewhere?

Do you think they've looked at their roadmap for development, saw they have time to implement a satisfactory VR implementation, and then thought "nah, not gonna bother, let's hit the pub"?

10 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Could you elaborate on why it's "lazy", rather than a reallocation of resources to another area? After all, the expansion requires a host of features that aren't currently supported by the game, so is it not more likely to be a case of not wishing to expend effort on a feature for a niche market when it could be put to better use elsewhere?

Do you think they've looked at their roadmap for development, saw they have time to implement a satisfactory VR implementation, and then thought "nah, not gonna bother, let's hit the pub"?

They have come up with a design that they can't implement easily in VR, maybe because Braben doesn't like VR as suggested above. Perhaps they have made the feature set in space legs so complex that they can't easily implement it.  But at some point they made a decision to piss off a subset of their paying users.  As one of that subset I am , as they no doubt expected pissed off. 

They got some push back when they announced no VR , so they stuck in the flat screen solution  instead of VR support, I'd call that  lazy yes.  I don't really see any other way of putting it.  You know... "not wishing to expend effort on a feature ".

I'd also have considered it a bit lazy if they had just taken the FPS camera and added head tracking to it, not the most arduous of tasks (especially as thats already in the game), but I would have then at least been able to play it in VR and feel like I was standing on some ice planet somewhere even if it was just the same control set etc as the flat screen system. 

In the end Ill probably still get it as there will be new places to explore in my SRV, and I assume at some point they will implement a VR solution for it. 

9 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

At some point they made a decision that pissed off a subset. They didn't make it out of spite.

No but they did it fully cognisant of the fact that it would piss them off. 

As you alluded to above it boils down to the fact that they consider there to not be enough VR players to warrent the effort, a decision that gets made a lot. But never gets less annoying when you are on the recieving end of it. 

48 minutes ago, Strategos said:

They have come up with a design that they can't implement easily in VR, maybe because Braben doesn't like VR as suggested above. Perhaps they have made the feature set in space legs so complex that they can't easily implement it.  But at some point they made a decision to piss off a subset of their paying users.  As one of that subset I am , as they no doubt expected pissed off. 

They got some push back when they announced no VR , so they stuck in the flat screen solution  instead of VR support, I'd call that  lazy yes.  I don't really see any other way of putting it.  You know... "not wishing to expend effort on a feature ".

I'd also have considered it a bit lazy if they had just taken the FPS camera and added head tracking to it, not the most arduous of tasks (especially as thats already in the game), but I would have then at least been able to play it in VR and feel like I was standing on some ice planet somewhere even if it was just the same control set etc as the flat screen system. 

In the end Ill probably still get it as there will be new places to explore in my SRV, and I assume at some point they will implement a VR solution for it. 

The problem with a proper VR implementation of Odessey is it would be a whole seperate version of the expansion to please a tiny % of customers.  VR is a good fit for the base game and easy to implement. VR for Odessey is crap VR by default.  I'm not sure what else they could have done that wasn't both way too expensive and split VR player off into their own game.

5 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

No doubt about that, but you can be disappointed without having to accuse teams of things they're not.

If your on the team please ask them to stick a VR camera on FPS character as a debug option on a steam launch param pleaaaaase.

I've got back into this after a couple of years away. I think it was the combination of the Odyssey trailers and juicy Thargoid CG last week. There's something about it that makes it more immersive your average MMO for me (at least until I find myself relogging for materials :().

I hammer this for four months and then quit for a year and then come back and hammer it again.  I'm Elite on trading and exploration and keep getting the itch to go for it in combat.  But the idea of spending a couple of hours a night for at least three months to get there doesn't entirely fill me with delight.

54 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I hammer this for four months and then quit for a year and then come back and hammer it again.  I'm Elite on trading and exploration and keep getting the itch to go for it in combat.  But the idea of spending a couple of hours a night for at least three months to get there doesn't entirely fill me with delight.

I'm just letting those play out in their own time, may never get there. I am currently enjoying the new mining stuff, and I never thought Id say that.

The mining has that reward loop that I don't really get from exploring (and is what i really want from exploring) , Although I guess its exploring to find the best hotspots though so...  and then exploring on a small scale from asteroid to asteroid to find core asteroids... Im not sure how long that will stay interesting for but its quite enjoyable atm . Part of the fun is that the belts look so good in VR while you are pootling about.

I did the exploring one first, back when it was pretty simple.  Once they started introducing the DSS and all that... it just got overly complicated.  Elite: Dangerous can be... well... very boring if you want it to be. A lot of repetition of the same tasks with only an RNG difference.  That isn't a complaint, by the way, some of my happiest times with the game have been shuttling 752t of stuff between systems, it is just that there is no need to make the boringness complicated as well.

I did enjoy pootling about in asteroid belts on the few occasions I tried it.

On 26/10/2020 at 16:47, Plissken said:

I did the exploring one first, back when it was pretty simple.  Once they started introducing the DSS and all that... it just got overly complicated.  Elite: Dangerous can be... well... very boring if you want it to be. A lot of repetition of the same tasks with only an RNG difference.  That isn't a complaint, by the way, some of my happiest times with the game have been shuttling 752t of stuff between systems, it is just that there is no need to make the boringness complicated as well.

I did enjoy pootling about in asteroid belts on the few occasions I tried it.

I'm an advocate for making the systems more complicated, mining is a good example of that, the core mining is fun , at least so far. And you feel like you are hunting around for a good score.

The problem with exploring is they forgot to add the key component. The chance of actually finding something. Sure you can find a system that looks pretty, or has valuable scanning targets but that's essentially it. 

I'd also like to scan down signal sources if there was a chance of there being something interesting.

I spent so long in Eve exploring,  in the early days triangulating with the scanner to find off grid stuff. And later with probes because there was a small chance of finding a certain blue print that would net you a proper fortune at that time. 

• Thor changed the title to Elite Dangerous - Now on Xbox Gamepass