rllmuk
Thor

Elite Dangerous - Fleet Carriers coming December 19

Yes, but I'm not convinced the weight differential is enough to warrant a purchase if you already have an Asp Explorer, or an Anaconda. 

I'll be happy to be proved wrong. :)

Logged in OK.

I can't remember what the hell I'm doing :D  I seem to be in a Dolphin, but I've sent for my Vulture which is only 7 minutes away.  I'm only 5 jumps from Mukhang.  What do I need to ensure I have on my ship for the new exploration mechanics?

I seem to have the right gear, but none of the controls seem to be mapped to any defaults?  I managed to bind the mode change (so I can access the system scanner) but then nothing.  I don't even know where to start with this.  I guess it's back to the old days of spending more time on youtube and forums than playing the game.

I've got my head around this now.  I had custom bindings set up, so none of the new feature controls had bindings.  So I had to reset to default X52 Pro bindings, which introduced default bindings for the new discovery modes.

Managed to bag first discovered and first mapped on Mukhang A 2.

I'm going to try get my head around this game again I think.  I played it for a few weeks on and off and just didnt let myself get into it, maybe round 2 will fare better.

I have no idea what I'm doing once I've logged in, oops.  Just a couple of quick questions to set me off please:

I want the game to be pretty "easy", however I do fancy some combat but I want whatever guns are easiest to hit people with as I am a terrible pilot and a terrible shot in FPS too so the more help the better.

I somehow seem to be flying a Viper MK4 (I think I got it in a promotion) and I dont know where to go.

Can someone direct me to a nearby.... quest hub? Or fairly populated area?  Just feel like its dead where I am.  I want to just run some missions to accustom myself with the game. Deliveries, combats etc. Right now I am in Zemez System.

Also can you please suggest how a noob should equip this ship to meet my needs?  I have 600,000 CR.

Setup my VR, got back in game. Flew to Founders to get my Python , fitted it out for exploration. Flew to Mukhang. Tried to figure out the new scanning stuff. Battle with new binds. Finally scanned a planet. Docked, realised I had to go 20 LY to register is. *sigh* galaxy map was being weird and I couldn't find a system with a large docking pad. Got fed up and logged off.

So many binds, a faffy new mechanic that slows down the exploration without adding anything to it?

Still seeing the same old signal sources popping up. 

I dunno... 

Keybinding / mode switching is definitely a bit janky.

I really like the new discovery scanner now I've got the hang of tuning.  Being able to find planets with features, choose to fly over, locate them with the surface scanner and then tag them with the composition scanner is a much more explorery than the old system.

2 hours ago, monkeydog said:

Keybinding / mode switching is definitely a bit janky.

Having to figure them out / bind them to a HOTAS in VR was not an enjoyable experience. I never got to the Tuning bit TBH.  I did manage to fire some probes at a planet. Got stuck in that view in supercruise. Had to use the keyboard to back out. Then realised I have to fly around the planet in supercruise firing probes at it?! I mean honestly all this technology and I have to manually aim probes at a planet? I'm sure FTL capable ships would be capable of plotting firing trajectories in a gravity well.

There is so much amazing stuff in Elite, it really frustrates me that the game doesn't grab me more.

I like the new system scanner.  You can tag discovery of planets without leaving the jump in point so it's far easier to see what's in the system.  You only need to head to the planet if you want to map it, and at least you can now scan/map the surface to discover points of interest without having to fly around the surface.

As for the probing and mapping of planets, you don't need to fly around the body in supercruise.  You can aim the probes in to the gravity well and map the whole surface from one place.  That said, I agree that having to manually aim is a bit tedious.  You get more money the less probes you use, but it's still a tedious mechanic I'd say.  I'd be better if you could fire one probe to  'scan' the surface but I guess its their idea of introducing a 'gamey' element to it.

As for your last point, I totally agree.  I played for a bit yesterday, but the game doesn't grab me any more so I've put my HOTAS away again.  For me, there's too much time not engaging with the controls.  It's super atmospheric when you first get into the game, but when that wonder and novelty fades what's left of the mechanics doesn't keep me entertained.  Sadly.

I really like the new night vision.  It doesn't look great in screenshots and videos.  In game, it has really nice layers of effects going on.

Plus night sides of planets are now pitch black.  Had a couple of really lovely sun rises happen in orbital cruise.

On 13/12/2018 at 17:09, smac said:

Usual question; if I want to get back into this, what's the download/patch size?

When did you last play? Because I have no fucking clue what I'm doing from about eighteen months ago.

Bought horizons on offer earlier this week, and now I'm going through the training again. I don't even remember the button combos I originally used.

I have to congratulate Frontier for trying to improve the game like this, but speaking as a huge fan who more or less stopped playing because of its meaningless and insufferable grind, I have to question their priorities here. Did we really need a more complex way of exploring -more or less- the same things? Or mining? I understand the need to make the mechanics a bit more nuanced, but they should really be concentrating firstly on player choice, especially when it comes to a sandbox game. What this game needs are more choices on what to do with the stuff that players find and mine and fight and save, not more elaborate ways to prolong the repetition of the mechanics. This game really needs a creation mode, human to human contracts, something to shape things up.

Also, this obsession with the new and more complex controls is insane. You stay away for one week, a patch appears, and then the game becomes 50% more complex for no apparent reason. The control mapping is the first thing that puts me off - and I still relatively remember some things. I can't imagine what is like for a new player. :facepalm:

I think that making exploration more interactive and skill based is a good idea, but they’ve not really done the latter. You’re just getting the same payout for the same level of problem solving via a fussy interface. It’s not like combat where having skill and expertise lets you do things you couldn’t before. I’m not sure how you would procedurally generate exploration problems and breadcrumb trails and things for an online game but something like that would be more fun. 

And yes, the new controls are nonsense. Having a special mode you have to go in to which disables all weapons and defensive systems, with another mode inside it that you actually use for exploration? Excuse me?

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I think that making exploration more interactive and skill based is a good idea, but they’ve not really done the latter. You’re just getting the same payout for the same level of problem solving via a fussy interface. It’s not like combat where having skill and expertise lets you do things you couldn’t before. I’m not sure how you would procedurally generate exploration problems and breadcrumb trails and things for an online game but something like that would be more fun. 

And yes, the new controls are nonsense. Having a special mode you have to go in to which disables all weapons and defensive systems, with another mode inside it that you actually use for exploration? Excuse me?

Exactly this. In the past I've made a few requests to Frontier for more meaningful exploration. And part of that was asking for probes and scans.  So I was pretty excited when I saw these changes coming. 

The problem is that you need to feel like you are going to find something for these mechanics to work. Just slowing down the existing system does not exploration make.

16 hours ago, MotiVater said:

Can someone please just tell me how I contribute to a CG?

I accepted both missions went to Wally Bei but now I dont quite know where specifically I should be or what I should be doing....

Here is a link from the elite forums which explains things better than I could.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/297632-Community-Goal-Guide

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Alex W. said:

That is my point. You basically took something that worked and just offered the same thing but with more work. The main problem still remains: the player has very few options on what to do with the data. The actual gameplay is the same. I don't understand if it is a lack of resources or simply lack of ideas but the game gets more and more bloated without actually offering anything that is new and refreshing.

• Upvote 2

I agree that it is change in the not interesting part of the game, and does not lead to new types of game play.

The fact that scanning now reveals ground based points of interest is good but that could have been done differently. You are correct that there is then nothing to DO with the data! all the first found stuff gets wiped out quickly and is just there for the totally obsessed.

The game holds such promise but it seems it cannot quite get there.

If it was smushed into X4 and be a real single player game I would be happy bunny!

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, fragglerock said:

all the first found stuff gets wiped out quickly and is just there for the totally obsessed.

I think that kind of sums up their design philosophy now. Everything seems to be geared towards the 500-hour-a-year-plus players, where you're using an endgame ship to do economy-shifting trade actions to help win a star system for your allied faction. At the lower levels there's very little you can do that's meaningful, either towards your personal goals (because the time requirement ramps up hard) or towards the meta.

I can understand a willingness to design towards their most dedicated players but they're going to have a static or shrinking player base if they're not careful. They need to give the Han Solos of the galaxy more to do, make the low-level game more interactive. The exploration changes should have done that but they beefed it.

9 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I think that kind of sums up their design philosophy now. Everything seems to be geared towards the 500-hour-a-year-plus players, where you're using an endgame ship to do economy-shifting trade actions to help win a star system for your allied faction. At the lower levels there's very little you can do that's meaningful, either towards your personal goals (because the time requirement ramps up hard) or towards the meta.

I can understand a willingness to design towards their most dedicated players but they're going to have a static or shrinking player base if they're not careful. They need to give the Han Solos of the galaxy more to do, make the low-level game more interactive. The exploration changes should have done that but they beefed it.

And it's not only that. I would gladly pay and play with a fully kitted Anaconda if the damn gameplay wasn't exactly the same, grindy gameplay that I spent hundreds of hours playing in order to reach the end game. You do exactly the same things but on a larger scale and the only payoff is more money. Even winning a star system for your allied faction means very little in-game or regarding gameplay terms.

Maybe I need to load up Freespace 2 to cheer up. :P

1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

And it's not only that. I would gladly pay and play with a fully kitted Anaconda if the damn gameplay wasn't exactly the same, grindy gameplay that I spent hundreds of hours playing in order to reach the end game. You do exactly the same things but on a larger scale and the only payoff is more money. Even winning a star system for your allied faction means very little in-game or regarding gameplay terms.

Maybe I need to load up Freespace 2 to cheer up. :P

Well exactly. I've scanned precisely one planet in Elite with the new system. But as I know i'm 99.9% likely to find rocks and skimmers it really didn't appeal that much.

It's such a shame as the game is so close to being my ideal game in so many ways.

Now I know it gets compared to EVE online a lot, but it's understandable as there is a big market crossover! But exploration in EVE always grabbed me. 

In the early days you would get stuff show up on your scanner, it was so tantalising because you couldn't find it. I spent hours triangulating objects that were off warp lines and slow boating out to them. Once you found them you could bookmark them and have essentially a private spot in the game, it was time consuming but brilliant somehow.

Later they added scanning probes, and there was a feeling of genuine skill using them, primarily because you were often scanning for players. But you also found sites that were often fun and / or rewarding financially. But the combination of mechanics , hunting down players safe spots, cloaking your ship, de-cloaking dropping probes, modding your ship to be fast at probing but also able to grab your prey and get your buddies to warp in before you could be killed. It all came together to create genuinely compelling moments.

I remember there was a type of blueprint that sold for billions and just knowing that it was possible to find one drove me to explore non stop for weeks. The key here is that although it was super rare you knew you COULD make your fortune from that one big find. 

Finally got to play the new update last night. I play in VR so I’m using a Xbox pad and know those controls inside out. It’s such a mind blowing experience in VR the vast majority of my ‘gameplay’ is basically trade / data / passenger related. My other core component is exploration. Arrived at a new system and promptly tried to scan, obviously this wasn’t going to happen. Took my headset off and watched a YouTube video on the new process. Still none the wiser I tried again and got nowhere. Gave up and shut the game down. Cheers Frontier.

1 hour ago, Black Cat Supremacist said:

Finally got to play the new update last night. I play in VR so I’m using a Xbox pad and know those controls inside out. It’s such a mind blowing experience in VR the vast majority of my ‘gameplay’ is basically trade / data / passenger related. My other core component is exploration. Arrived at a new system and promptly tried to scan, obviously this wasn’t going to happen. Took my headset off and watched a YouTube video on the new process. Still none the wiser I tried again and got nowhere. Gave up and shut the game down. Cheers Frontier.

Most of the best things happen on youtube and forums. If you miss them, then you are in potential danger of missing the most interesting stuff in game.

30 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Most of the best things happen on youtube and forums. If you miss them, then you are in potential danger of missing the most interesting stuff in game.

:blink:

3 minutes ago, smac said:

:blink:

I mean all the explanations and communication about events or the state of the game. If you don't follow the forums or watch youtube presentations you are likely to miss important mechanics and developments about the game.