Thor

Elite Dangerous - Exploration is now fun... maybe

Just now, ravnaz said:

Sounds interesting. Can you explain further? (noob here)

Happy to. Any bit in particular? If it's the engineering, basically you can gather up materials lying around on planets, wreckage from combat, and data scanned from other ships and then an expert engineer in a specific star system will use it to change the parameters of your ship's systems. In my case worsening off my hyperdrive's weight, power draw, and sturdiness in exchange for sheer range.

Just to warn everyone, I'll be using this thread as a dumping ground for all my DW2 pics, which I'll then link to over on the Frontier forums...

image.png.ff9539ecc70b8a812e5d26ef1c6f6274.png

image.png.9841a230ca39491fd1e8b2f4ff6515b4.png

image.png.197a3e99627a7258ba4bf906ca81d6e0.png

image.png.e27fb13f96d7eab2c043ea33519b66a4.png

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Happy to. Any bit in particular? If it's the engineering, basically you can gather up materials lying around on planets, wreckage from combat, and data scanned from other ships and then an expert engineer in a specific star system will use it to change the parameters of your ship's systems. In my case worsening off my hyperdrive's weight, power draw, and sturdiness in exchange for sheer range.

I'm interested in hearing about this rich idiot, please :-)

When you get good at exploration and trusted by the local forces (I’ve been doing jobs for the Earth Defense Force out of Tabit for ages*) you get access to a lot of VIP passenger jobs where you have to visit tourist sites. These pay a lot because the passenger needs exclusive use of a cabin and they want to hop around to places hundreds of light years apart.

However my modified ship can reach most of occupied space in minutes so I’m basically getting paid to visit locations in the game that are flagged as cool or interesting and then go home again. It feels like a massive scam but they keep paying me. It’s bliss.

*Not out of loyalty, I only discovered the different faction mission tabs about 3 months ago because this game’s UI is atrocious.

• Upvote 1

On 14/01/2019 at 05:59, Danster said:

I think I must just suck at combat TBH.

I bought an Anaconda and kitted it out with a mixture of beams and pulse and multicannon. Highest possible normal shields and upgraded hull. (tbf I hadn't at this point upgraded the thrusters from standard). Got interdicted and rubbed my hands with glee.... it was a Asp on its own and it almost destroyed me... FFS... in my Python, Vulture or even Eagle I would have destroyed an ASP so easily. But in the conda I just couldn't get round to get it into target (do I have do turn flight assist off to do this?). Are my turrets popping away at it anyway?

Big sigh, oh well.... I wasn't really intending on a combat Anaconda anyway - am going to kit it for exploration. But I am starting to get that feeling again, that I just can't be arsed to carry on playing. We'll see, let me at least engineer the conda's FSD to the highest level and then we'll see...

:)

The best way to git gud is to join in the Community Goals combat ones and get into a High RES. The cops will mostly help you out and if you get lucky with the spawn you can use them as backup to absolutely rake in credits. There is less pressure to not die because if the shit hits the fan you can pop chaff and high-wake out. It’s great for practicing maneuvers, weapon configurations, and switching pips etc on the fly. Pip-switching is absolutely key for shields- you take very little damage when all your pips are in shields and with two in engines you should be able to get back on target. I personally recommend dirty drive engineering a big ship like an anaconda - at the highest level it turns it into a better python. 

Also, if you get yourself into the top 10% you can expect a heavy credit payout upwards of 25mil. It’s how I made my fortune. 

Just avoid conflict zones zones until you’ve practiced more. 

More pics, these are more "normal play" than "exploration", as I'm doing my bit for the DW2 Community Goal:

image.png.a4d404658a6e3a7da759bc3c5cc9da8a.png

image.png.9caebcaad4af73ad9149362cf9c59fef.png

image.png.6eef5411fb142b6bddb7f802322e0195.png

Yes, this is my old Cobra below, I wanted to have my Corvette shipped over, but at a cost of over 100m cr, that's a no. Besides, I'd almost forgotten how much fun the Cobra Mk III is. And I love the pirate paint jobs for it. :D

image.png.36c64ab963da00eeda65e4f9ad6b6665.png

image.png.2bc8cb1c662fc24183ad2baa1efbcf85.png

image.png.b736259162c9f4f9f2f902901f539c89.png

• Upvote 2

Love this ship. So much fun in asteroid belts.

image.png.8332c41f70e7acee2fec79e4f3e62c48.png

image.png.167f0a85da02550ce180d7141eb24175.png

And a vid of me doing the CG, and retreating into the heart of a planet's ring to regain my shields before returning to the fight ... with a little help from the local police. ;)

image.png.daaabac2405ced6d17900fa377d10e36.png

image.png.9c395281a73eb17471e5aa9e673a29a4.png

image.png.809907a6edc0401497e54cdae07ee0f0.png

image.png.299c2e0297364a838cfd75402918bb82.png

As cool as the trident is, I prefer the condor in an actual fight, so have gone back to that for my fighter bay. 

• Upvote 2