Thor

Elite Dangerous - Exploration is now fun... maybe

Not being funny or anything, but what a shit pitch. I'm out.* As with the Not-Wing-Commander pitch, the money isn't enough; however, at least that was openly being used to drum up outside investment. And, more importantly, it also had some actual material created for the pitch. This? This is just lazy.

*well, right now I'm not even funding things I would like to fund, but if I were, I'd still not fund this.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What happened to that other game they were doing - Outcast or something? The one where you're on the run from the government? Has that been canned then?

Suspended indefinitely.

Biglime is going crazy on twitter over this. "Fuck Elite!" being one of his tweets :lol:

It sounds like the same game for just over a million quid. Sounds like they might be paying back for dev already done?

That's great news, but don't forget there's also this, from Chris Roberts which has taken my breath away.

That looks fantastic and he's put a lot more effort in to the funding presentation than Braben.

That looks fantastic and he's put a lot more effort in to the funding presentation than Braben.

Yep, that's the Not-Wing-Commander I was referring to above. I'm also not funding that (not a huge fan of Wing Co/Roberts in the first place), but I respect the effort that's clearly been put in to the pitch. Unlike Braben's.

That's for sure. If you read the faq it certainly sounds much more interesting than Elite. And that engine...

edit: the core of the game is sandbox, the single player campaign is just there for those who want it.

I'm guessing DB doesn't need to. Even here we've got people saying "poor pitch BUT HAVE MY MONEY!".

Why bother doing any more?

Lot of naysayers. Just because Braben's pitch doesn't include a half finished game like some of the others. It's completely within the spirit of kickstarter. He has a track record and the pitch does state that it's as much a test of demand as a fundraiser. Maybe he's not in a position to finance the building of half a game before asking if anyone's interested.

Sounds like Rab's not an Elite fan. He's suggesting Braben gives £100,000 to ten small developers instead. Why the fuck would he do that? Why should he? He still enjoys making games but, like many devs out there, has had to pander to the publishers for many years, unable to get a green light on what he really wants to make. This kickstarter is saying "I want to make a new Elite game. how many of you would like to play that if I made it?". Just pledge your £20 already.

Lot of naysayers. Just because Braben's pitch doesn't include a half finished game like some of the others. It's completely within the spirit of kickstarter. He has a track record and the pitch does state that it's as much a test of demand as a fundraiser. Maybe he's not in a position to finance the building of half a game before asking if anyone's interested.

Sounds like Rab's not an Elite fan. He's suggesting Braben gives £100,000 to ten small developers instead. Why the fuck would he do that? Why should he? He still enjoys making games but, like many devs out there, has had to pander to the publishers for many years, unable to get a green light on what he really wants to make. This kickstarter is saying "I want to make a new Elite game. how many of you would like to play that if I made it?". Just pledge your £20 already.

Kickstarter also changed the rules, so pitches are actually pitches instead of providing a glorified windowshopping experience. Still, whatever. New Elite.

Elite is one of the best-known videogames of all time. I don't think it takes a marketing or brand genius to work out that there is any demand.

The biggest problem that Braben faces with a new Elite is the poor image the franchise now has, especially when compared with newcomers to the genre. Others such as Egosoft (with the X series) have already done more with the open-world Space sim than Braben describes in his pitch. X4 is due soon and they've been working on it for a few years.

What's with all the space combat games popping up recently? I mean, I'm not complaining, it's the Best Genre, but is there something in the water? Some kind of space-combat-inspiring brain parasite?

It's the Best Genre.

• Upvote 2

I think it's worth the gamble. Compared to the amount of money most of us piss up the wall on fullprice games that turn out to be disappointing tripe or last for about 6-7 hours, an investment of a mere 20 quid in a game that might well be the definitive sequel to one of the most influential games of all times seems worthwhile.

It's also completely within the spirit of Kickstarter to shun things with a poor pitch. What with Kickstarter being all about the pitch. And he has a track record? Yes, he does. A really fucking awful one over the past 20 years.

• Upvote 2

I'm guessing DB doesn't need to. Even here we've got people saying "poor pitch BUT HAVE MY MONEY!".

Why bother doing any more?

I don't think Roberts needs to as well. He has already raised 2,8 (2m was the mark) and there's still 13 days to go.

If you watch the video you'll see that he's really passionate about it and not just to draw the crowds.

Anyways, two space games! Yeah!

There have been many game types that have enjoyed huge success over the years. Doesn't mean there's demand for them now. Kickstarter is great in that it simultaneously provides feedback on demand plus the funding to make it happen. Not every kickstarter will be successful. It's a gamble at the end of the day. Even if this goes ahead and Elite gets made and I get my code to play it there's no guarantee it'll be any good.

And he has a track record? Yes, he does. A really fucking awful one over the past 20 years.

Lost Winds and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 both scored 9/10 on Eurogamer (haven't checked other reviews). Hardly awful.

He gave a talk about making Elite at Dare to be Digital last year, you could tell he was working on something even then. I reckon this is a lot further along than people think.

Shame he hasn't confirmed a platform, I'd love this to be mobile/ tablet. I'd play it all the time for multiplayer alone.

It says PC doesn't it?
  • Upvote 1

Lost Winds and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 both scored 9/10 on Eurogamer (haven't checked other reviews). Hardly awful.

Neither of which scream out, "we're capable of creating a open-world, procedurally based space sim". The technology involved in doing this goes beyond those games.

He gave a talk about making Elite at Dare to be Digital last year, you could tell he was working on something even then. I reckon this is a lot further along than people think.

I don't believe they have been working on this at all. Dropping the Elite name there now and then keeps their name in the press (all IMO of course).

Is the pitch that bad really? He sets out what he wants to do, how far they are, how they think they'll achieve the goals and the risks. Do you really need much more than that? I'd rather see them work on the game assets than compiling flashy 'target render' videos.

I don't care about target render videos - most of the projects I've funded have been from teams far too small to afford such things - but I expect more than an extended spiel about the game's heritage, then a description of the game as being "Elite - now with networking". For a game which has "been worked upon by a small team as a ‘skunk-works’ activity in the background as availability permits" I expect to see something, even if it's nothing more than a crappy looking ship model. If you're going to say that you've been working on something, at least give us a hint of proof. Oh, and perhaps a few examples of how you plan to build on your previous games' successes (or, even better, avoid the flaws of your earlier sequels to Elite...)

Lost Winds might be decent, I'll grant them that. However, every other game in the past decade: Kinect Disneyland Adventures, the magical disappearing act of The Outsider, the godawful Thrillville (and the awful RcT 3 that it was based on - I'm guessing you never played it) and the atrocious Dog's Life don't exactly inspire confidence - particularly considering that every game they've managed to release has been incredibly limited in scope, while the one ambitious game they had never came out.

And then there's the fact that every sequel to Elite that he's already worked on has been a disappointment.

I don't care about target render videos - most of the projects I've funded have been from teams far too small to afford such things - but I expect more than an extended spiel about the game's heritage, then a description of the game as being Elite - now with networking. For a game which has "been worked upon by a small team as a ‘skunk-works’ activity in the background as availability permits" I expect to see something, even if it's nothing more than a crappy looking ship model. If you're going to say that you've been working on something, at least give us a hint of proof.

Seriously, read up: http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/kickstarter-is-not-a-store