IGNORED

Elite Dangerous - Console players can move their save to PC

Thor

Just had a quick try on my new 3070. Stuck the settings on VR Ultra, used the Oculus debug tool to put the Pixel override to 1.5  it looks good, and runs more smoothly than my old 1080 on lower settings so I'm very happy :)  Later Ill try a planetary landing see how it holds up.

Also going to read up a bit on the Quality settings , anyone have any advice on this ? 

23 hours ago, fragglerock said:

I would imagine push everything to ULTRA with a new card like that.

Not in VR! 

If I increase the HMD quality to x 1.75 it all looks great but I get 30-40 fps in station, 70fps if there is less going on.  Still havent tested the planets yet, going to keep messing to try and find the sweet spot. 

On 07/10/2020 at 12:54, Alex W. said:

Dusted this off today because I needed something laid back that I could do with a podcast on, and I just settled back in to it. I'm chasing resources to max out the FSD on my Python now, and fiddling with Coriolis has me thinking that it might actually be worth my while pursuing thruster customisations for my main ships. But I just don't really understand what the thruster mods and experimental effects do. Is there a good idiots' guide for engineering?

dirty makes them run hotter but gives you better maneuverability. Clean makes them run cooler but decreases maneuverability. 

was it you asking about combat? Stay behind your target’s drives, practice FA: Off a bit so you can keep shooting while maneuvering. If you have more than one target, take out the weakest ones first while popping chaff and shield cells. Also worth running away to draw the weaker ones away from the stronger ship, as the stronger ones tend not to be as quick unless they’re a FDL, and that way you can waste the smaller targets without taking fire from a Huge hard point. 

or just wait for the cops to attack and then join in at the end

I miight have to take back what I said about mining. They nerfed the system again it seems. 

After getting annoyed with Fleet Carriers and chasing prices from the database. I thought it would be more fun to work out the economics and find stations that were buying Painite at a good price myself. So I did some research and identified my target systems and set about looing for a good price to sell my minerals. 

For the first session it was quite enjoyable... but the nvelty wore off :) Three sessions later , including some ridculous 400k LY supercruises (which i really should have skipped) I have not found a single station with a good price. 

So my time to cash ratio is not looking so good.

Still it sounds like theyve boosted combat now! The merry go round continues! 

3 hours ago, fragglerock said:

Yeh they are into a re-balance... these have never worked in the past.

Though this time they do seem to have said 'fuck it' to inflation so perhaps we will all be zooming around in 10 fleet carriers each soon enough.

I cannot believe how many people were in fleet carriers anyway, its insane.  I really thought they were a cool idea , that squadrons could organise and get themselves a fleet carrier , but it just seems like every player in the game has their own.  They have a real problem making features  that well.... work? 

Still Im quite loking forward to doing some combat now!  We have come full cirlcle.

OK so I hit the Haz res next to Mukhang and got about 15 mill in ... an hour ? maybe less. But I wasn't going all out. I also didnt stack up on Massacre missions or anything. If you could get a bunch of those the profits could be very good! 

Edit: Tried again but getting massacre missions for a system with the right faction + good has res is not so easy and I ended up with Rllmukhang Symposium downgrading me to "friendly" :( 

I did however find out that voice attack is ace with fighter crew. Being able to just say "Attack my target"  , "maintain formation" etc was really nice. In the middle of combat using that middle menu is a real pain.

Game awards trailer does not add a great deal.

You can pre-order now. £30 for the xpac £40 if you want alpha/beta access (no dates for anything yet tho... still early 2021)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1336350/Elite_Dangerous_Odyssey/

https://www.frontierstore.net/games/elite-dangerous-cat/elite-dangerous-odyssey-deluxe-alpha-expansion.html

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/elite-dangerous/odyssey-deluxe

Always been the case for Elite. The argument being you only get more motivated testers so it cuts out some of the crud bug complaints you can get in alpha/beta stuff.

Originally there were whole threads on the forum for users to 'help design' bits of the game.. but I think that Frontier soon saw how valuable that was and ignored everything and did what they want (to the wails of 'fans' everywhere)

It looks absolutely fantastic in that new trailer. I have had it sat on my Xbox hard drive since launch and kept feeling overwhelmed so kept walking away. But once Odyssey launches I'm going to launch the game and super glue my hands to my controller until it clicks.

They talk a good game, but combined arms has proved so hard for games to get right I am not that sure they will get it right on their first go.

The sound work sounds amazing though! I don't know how they got such a great sound team but I don't think they have put a foot wrong in Elite!