IGNORED

Elite Dangerous - Console players can move their save to PC

Thor

1 minute ago, Fry Crayola said:

Piffle! The Thrustmaster T-Flight is absolutely fine.

Totally agree.  The Thrustmaster is a great stick at a sensible price and you can use it on your lap when it's joined together.  You can't do that at all with the expensive sticks.

Minimum requirement :lol:

47 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Just to add a different opinion. A hotas is only good if you're sat playing it at a desk or appropriate table. 

If, like me, you're in your living room. It's just not practical, or indeed comfortable for long stints. 

If/when I have the cash, I'll splash out on a proper PC and VR solution, and start the game all over again - lol. But until then, the pad while sat in front of my lovely 55" TV will do me just fine. :)

Do you have a 4K telly Captain? I'm interested to hear opinions how the PS4 Pro version looks on one. 

We have a nice little nest of tables in the lounge should I want some stability for the HOTAS. I've spoken with the boss and owing to me just constantly going on about Elite recently I reckon she'll agree just to shut me up. It's looking hopeful. Update to follow :)

Just to be sure, this is the one to get isn't it?

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5009965?store=473&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:598901029|agid:24337525970|tid:aud-144400486596:pla-197598108530|crid:86937817730|nw:g|rnd:13130205157990919453|dvc:m|adp:1o1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw--DLBRCNARIsAFIwR26gyK3uFzBevYPDs_haWyWpPUweAaJAaiSxt06S0l6GjFUa2_dcmk4aAmmwEALw_wcB

4 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Is that something I'll need to do later on? I don't have the permit yet, but am midway through the Friendly portion of my rep with Sirius already. 

Yup. Marco Qwent requires 25 Modular Terminals.

https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineer/7/

1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

Is there a hotas for Xbox?

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

I don't think there are any HOTAS sticks which work on the Bone, certainly the Thrustmaster one you're probably looking at doesn't.  I have the PS3 version of that stick by the way and it's great.

Thrustmaster announced one during E3, but I think their social media marketing people were a bit premature as MS and Frontier have been silent on it.

Sagittarius A.

27,000 "miles" home to go.... 

Part of me is tempted to just keep going - my scan data was worth over 500 million when I stopped for a coffee in Colonia a few nights ago. If I can get that back to Lembava and use the 200% increased from power play......

Elite Dangerous Core (24).png

1 hour ago, Bunta said:

Sagittarius A.

27,000 "miles" home to go.... 

Part of me is tempted to just keep going - my scan data was worth over 500 million when I stopped for a coffee in Colonia a few nights ago. If I can get that back to Lembava and use the 200% increased from power play......

Nice. I like the raider spikes on your Asp. How long did it take you to get there? I'm planning a similar trip as soon as I get bored of grinding federation rank. Any tips or general advice before I head out into the black? What was your ship configuration?

6 hours ago, revlob said:

Nice. I like the raider spikes on your Asp. How long did it take you to get there? I'm planning a similar trip as soon as I get bored of grinding federation rank. Any tips or general advice before I head out into the black? What was your ship configuration?

(not the person it was aimed at, but... )

I went to (and past) Sagittarius A* back in January.

~26,000 light years to Sgr A*, then went another 4,000 light years to get to my VIP Passenger's destination, and then travelled the 30,000 light years back with a diversion via Great Annihilator.

I used my old Anaconda, rather than my Asp Explorer. It was fitted for exploration, but only had a jump range of ~25 light years because I stuffed it with extra fuel tanks to cut down on the fuel scooping.

I don't have my Exploraconda build bookmarked anymore, but this is my Asp X build. For a long-distance journey such as Sgr A*, I would remove the cargo rack and the planetary vehicle hanger.

Each 1,000 light year "stage" of my journey (plotted via the excellent https://www.spansh.co.uk/ ) took roughly one hour of jumping.

I started off doing detailed surface scans of each main star, in addition to using the advanced discovery scanner, but soon ditched the surface scanning to save time on each jump.

I tried listening to music at first, but it didn't really work for me. Then I tried checking Twitter etc. while jumping, but it was too much of a distraction and slowed my jumps down.

I finally settled on using my iPad to watch Netflix. Watched the whole of A Series of Unfortunate Events, Shooter, and Travelers, plus several episodes of The Fresh Prince. It worked really well, as I got into a really good routine where I was pretty much flying on auto with the TV to stop me getting bored or too tired. I wouldn't do it with a TV series that required close attention, though.

Some of the stuff you guys discuss is insane. I can't wait to know what I'm doing enough to plan some long journeys too. How long have you all been playing ED? 

The HOTAS is a bit of a game changer isn't it? I haven't played a lot tonight, just too tired, but I gave it a few mission runs just to test flying and docking. It really feels like flying a big physical craft now, and all the movements seem to correctly reflect what you're doing with the controller. It will take me a little while to adjust but already I'm docking much more accurately and quickly. The throttle feels great and being able to use vertical and lateral thrust fully integrated into the rest of the control scheme is cool.

Knackered now but will have a proper session tomorrow with it. Would totally recommend getting one though, it's a nice solid build with a heavy base, and rally comfortable to use. I was grinning like a loon when I first took off and the threw the throttle forward. 

9 hours ago, Stanley said:

Some of the stuff you guys discuss is insane. I can't wait to know what I'm doing enough to plan some long journeys too. How long have you all been playing ED? 

The HOTAS is a bit of a game changer isn't it? I haven't played a lot tonight, just too tired, but I gave it a few mission runs just to test flying and docking. It really feels like flying a big physical craft now, and all the movements seem to correctly reflect what you're doing with the controller. It will take me a little while to adjust but already I'm docking much more accurately and quickly. The throttle feels great and being able to use vertical and lateral thrust fully integrated into the rest of the control scheme is cool.

Knackered now but will have a proper session tomorrow with it. Would totally recommend getting one though, it's a nice solid build with a heavy base, and rally comfortable to use. I was grinning like a loon when I first took off and the threw the throttle forward. 

I'm seriously considering getting the Hotas but I have two questions.

1. I'm left-handed and not sure I want to control the ship with my right hand and thrust with the left. Any left handers use the stick?

2. Does it have to be the Hotas 4 or does the Hotas X also work. If so is there any drawbacks to using the X?

Just now, catinthehat said:

But absolutely nothing at the start?  I'm totally cool with that, I just want to be sure I haven't missed any kind of introductory mission or anything.

Nope you've not missed anything, it's a sandbox with missions and activities and things to discover but no plot as such. I'm totally fucking hooked.

9 minutes ago, Lydso76 said:

1. I'm left-handed and not sure I want to control the ship with my right hand and thrust with the left. Any left handers use the stick?

2. Does it have to be the Hotas 4 or does the Hotas X also work. If so is there any drawbacks to using the X?

It's very much designed so that you have to use the throttle with your left hand, because you access a lot of the buttons with your thumb.

As far as I know the X works fine also and is very similar in design, it's also a tenner cheaper.

15 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

But absolutely nothing at the start?  I'm totally cool with that, I just want to be sure I haven't missed any kind of introductory mission or anything.

Daunting isn't it? And yet liberating. So many games claim to offer you the freedom to do what you want. In ED there really is no right or wrong way to play. It's entirely up to the player.

21 minutes ago, Lydso76 said:

1. I don't think the T-Flight would work for you.  The stick is detachable into two halves, but you wouldn't be able to attach them together they other way round, and the placement of buttons on the throttle and the stick/the ergonomic moulding of the throttle would all be wrong if you tried to use them left handed.

2.  It depends which platform you're on:

HOTAS X - PS3/PC

HOTAS 4 - PS4/PC

and the upcoming HOTAS One - Xbox One/PC

Came in top 25% of the CG, nice little payout, I think Ill keep doing these. 

Decided to head off and Engineer my FDL, quite a chore.  Fly off to Davs Hope to collect some mats (a good place for sure).

1st issue Modified Embedded Firmware! There is a medium +++ base near Blasters base, but fucking hell can I scan all three beacons in the time?! Can I hell, ended up bezzing out of the base under fire and being chased by police ships. After and hour of floundering around mainly upside down in some kind of low gravity mario cart. Horrible. Made me sick as a dog in VR.

2nd issue. I gave up in the end and just modded the guns to level 4. Then headed off to Farseer. Went to land at Felicities base and realised I had taken off my planetary approach suite , presumably to save ... 1 tonne of weight at some point. And the system was in lock down. I logged out at this point lol.

Anyone got any easier ways to get Modified E Firmware ? 

34 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

1. I don't think the T-Flight would work for you.  The stick is detachable into two halves, but you wouldn't be able to attach them together they other way round, and the placement of buttons on the throttle and the stick/the ergonomic moulding of the throttle would all be wrong if you tried to use them left handed.

2.  It depends which platform you're on:

HOTAS X - PS3/PC

HOTAS 4 - PS4/PC

and the upcoming HOTAS One - Xbox One

I could use it right handed but it would feel odd, at least for a while. My parking would suck and I'd be geriatric in a dogfight.