Thor

Elite Dangerous - Beyond: Chapter Four - 11/12/18

I've pre-ordered a digital copy of the game for 20 quid (I still refuse to call it "backing" or "investing" as it's nothing of the sort. It's a pre-order dependent on the developer crossing a baseline level of funding.)

I just hope he gets it right this time. The previous "sequels" and re-makes of Elite have been rubbish. I also hope he realises that games have moved on since he made Elite in the early 1980's. People expect more depth, richer gameplay, high degrees of customisation, great graphics, great sound, etc. etc. etc. Just remaking Elite with a shiny 3D engine won't cut it.

However, I still have my copy of Elite for Spectrum 48K, complete with LensLok, and will fondle it gently until 2014.

Reading the multi player bit again, it sounds like we'd be able to effectively have a Rllmuk galaxy going on? With presumably some sort of friends list.

I am definitely up for this! And he's hoping for more than the initial to make it a "full" game. If it can *ahem* kickstart the interest in the name again, then he might end up with a proper pubishing deal.

£5000 for a meal? :D Don't think the wife would go for that....Although, I notice 1 place has already been snapped up! :)

It's a pretty sloppy Kickstarter. Where's the video pitch, the concept art, the early gameplay?

Yeah, it's pretty bad form not to at least have some sort of video at launch. Given that indie teams of like 4 people manage it and they're an entire studio, that shit ain't right.

Amongst all of Braben employees, does not one of them know how to film & edit?

• Upvote 1

Using kickstarter is not the same as placing a pre-order Tyagi. If a scheme goes wrong you're not entitled to money back or a product. You are backing a scheme not purchasing an item and you get all the risks associated with that.

• Upvote 1

Exactly. I'm amazed that people even expect there to be anything to see at this stage. That's the classic publisher model - hey Dev you take all the risks, we will put money in when we know we will get it back

Backed, how could anyone who owned the original not?

In my case, because although I'd like to see a new Elite game, Braben's had 20+ years to make it happen and so far hasn't - despite now running quite a large games outfit (as opposed to the indie hopefuls that I thought made Kickstarter their mainstay).

I guess I'm saying that he's had ample opportunity to put his own company fortunes on the line for it, and hasn't done so - which knocks my confidence in backing it with my own money.

If it reaches the point where the goal is in sight and they just need a few more people and are struggling, I might reconsider, but I'd still have these reservations.

• Upvote 5

I was half-joking with the 3DS comment, but imagine Elite in 3D with your ship's computer on the touch screen. It would be awesome.

• Upvote 3

I was half-joking with the 3DS comment, but imagine Elite in 3D with your ship's computer on the touch screen. It would be awesome.

That would actually be pretty good. Galaxy on Fire 2 on iOS gives an impression of what it could be like, despite not being quite there. With decent controls, it'd be something I'd consider buying for sure.

This:

In my case, because although I'd like to see a new Elite game, Braben's had 20+ years to make it happen and so far hasn't - despite now running quite a large games outfit .....

and this:

I just hope he gets it right this time. The previous "sequels" and re-makes of Elite have been rubbish. I also hope he realises that games have moved on since he made Elite in the early 1980's.......

I wonder how much of the timing of all this could be related to say, another space sim announcement and the popularity being gained there. 1.25Mill for a modern take on Elite is not enough to do it justice (assuming it's not already been heavily in development; which I don't believe it has been). On top of this, the games developed at Frontier don't exactly inspire me to think they could pull it off (happy to be proven wrong though).

I dunno, we'll see I guess....

In my case, because although I'd like to see a new Elite game, Braben's had 20+ years to make it happen and so far hasn't - despite now running quite a large games outfit (as opposed to the indie hopefuls that I thought made Kickstarter their mainstay).

I guess I'm saying that he's had ample opportunity to put his own company fortunes on the line for it, and hasn't done so - which knocks my confidence in backing it with my own money.

You'd have to be certifiably mental to put your company on the line for something that might or might not work out with no fallback though, they are after 1.25m which isn't really indie dev peanuts type stuff after all so hopefully that means there'll be some polish to it. Yeah, it's a historically popular and revered game, but these days it's a massively niche genre and has been for a long time so I wouldn't say crossing your fingers and relying on past glory is a good business model, especially if it does turn out to be another F:FE at the end of it.

This, on the other hand, is, even if it only gets people to really show that there's enough people out there who do want it and are actually willing to pay for it upfront. They've already "sold" over a thousand copies and it'll probably reach it's target by the end of the day at this rate given the funding has doubled in about an hour.

I wouldn't say crossing your fingers and relying on past glory is a good business model, especially if it does turn out to be another F:FE at the end of it.

This as well. I was going to say something about "former glories" but I couldn't find the words. I always feel as though Braben and his ilk live off former glories.

What happened to that other game they were doing - Outcast or something? The one where you're on the run from the government? Has that been canned then?