Thor

Elite Dangerous - Beyond: Ch 3 due 28th August

Sometimes I wonder why people who are so keen about a hobby that's all about fun are such miserable and cynical fucks.

I can't explain it either, but I do know that I love being on rllmukforum because of it :wub:

I wonder how many people who say no piss away 40 quid on the next yearly sequel and then complain how it's even worse than last year's, which was shit to begin with.

People who don't waste money on each year's sequels can bitch and moan freely then?

And I don't think people are moaning. I personally didn't like Braben's attitdute, I don't think he has offered anything of substance after Elite and I think Elite, as a remake, has nothing to offer me. I'm a moaner if I just say my piece?

Why do people who like something have to label others who don't like it? Videogames are just fun, no?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd rather be on rllmuk where you at least get some (generally) well reasoned and constructive analysis and criticism of industry happenings, rather than a bi-polar outrage/nerdgasm, sycophantic, echo chamber.

• Upvote 2

Bang on... Anything, ANYTHING, that helps accelerate the death of games publishers and the people that mis-manage them is a good thing.

Unfortunately, game developers are just as capable of mismanaging themselves - look at what a mess Sillicon Knights made of themselves.

• Upvote 2

and something else that I love about the resurgence in niche gaming is that much of it is on PC.

PC is a platform that has given (and is giving) publisher product managers nightmares. They much prefer the controlled environment of a console with its tightly managed storefront, its high barrier to entry for physical media titles, and its locked down online environment. The PC is just the Wild West, and to make it worse, Valve have stealthily taken majority market share for digital distribution, customer identity, customer payments, and online presence/matchmaking. EA is making an "over the top" play with Origin by having a separate store, separate online gaming system, and new identities, but we'll see how that works out for them in the long-term.

So yeah, niche gaming is part of the PC resurgence, so I'm all for it :)

• Upvote 4

People who don't waste money on each year's sequels can bitch and moan freely then?

And I don't think people are moaning. I personally didn't like Braben's attitdute, I don't think he has offered anything of substance after Elite and I think Elite, as a remake, has nothing to offer me. I'm a moaner if I just say my piece?

Why do people who like something have to label others who don't like it? Videogames are just fun, no?

Virus was flicking awesome.

• Upvote 3

and something else that I love about the resurgence in niche gaming is that much of it is on PC.

PC is a platform that has given (and is giving) publisher product managers nightmares. They much prefer the controlled environment of a console with its tightly managed storefront, its high barrier to entry for physical media titles, and its locked down online environment. The PC is just the Wild West, and to make it worse, Valve have stealthily taken majority market share for digital distribution, customer identity, customer payments, and online presence/matchmaking. EA is making an "over the top" play with Origin by having a separate store, separate online gaming system, and new identities, but we'll see how that works out for them in the long-term.

So yeah, niche gaming is part of the PC resurgence, so I'm all for it :)

Except that's not really true. Consoles now dominate because the public preferred them. Publishers don't pay platform manufacturer royalties on PC titles, nor do they have to gain platform concept approval before they can ship it, or go through tortuous compliance procedures.

Bang on... Anything, ANYTHING, that helps accelerate the death of games publishers and the people that mis-manage them is a good thing.

I doubt Braben seriously believes he can ship even a PC game for that kind of money. If it gets it to a state where he can negotiate a good deal with a publisher then he'll have done his bit.

I'd rather be on rllmuk where you at least get some (generally) well reasoned and constructive analysis and criticism of industry happenings, rather than a bi-polar outrage/nerdgasm, sycophantic, echo chamber.

There's plenty of that going around. As well as the famous state of "I want to like a game so much that I don't mind its faults, even though I bury any other game I don't like that has the same faults" or the other famous state of "I like ALL games of a genre, so I believe EVERY game is good more or less." And the Nintendo nuts in here are some of the worst in the internet.

But, as you say, there are some generally well reasoned and constructive analysis going around as well. Not in this thread though. ;)

Well, maybe it's just me. I find it exciting that more and more games we thought we'd never see suddenly start popping up. That these games are actually going in development because there is genuine demand for them by gamers who are willing to take the risk to fund it up front. Not because some product manager behind his desk decides that it might be a good idea to develop a game like {Game Du Jour} because it is {percentage} likely to make a {percentage} Return on Investment. Only this year we've seen the start of a brand new point 'n' click adventure by Tim Schafer, spiritual successors to some extinct hardcore RPGs and now a followup to the grand daddy of open world games. While these games may not turn out great - or maybe not even turn up at all, I find it a refreshing spark of inspiration in a gaming landscape that's more and more dominated by risk averring popcorn blockbuster titles on one end of the spectrum and cute but small indie projects on the other. So yeah, I'd rather put 20 quid in that even though it may not have a flashy trailer and with the risk it turns out to be rubbish than in EA's latest FiFa roster update with some new feature added that may or may not work.

I can't argue with that.

But for me, stuff like Elite, the way it was presented, it's just nostalgia talking. And even though that's not a bad thing, it's stil open to criticism, especially when you see the effort other developers put into making people believe in their vision.

You are David Braben, not fucking Shigeru Miyamoto.

I think it's fine for people to not like any of Braben's games since Elite and therefore not want to back this but the important bit to those of us who are excited is that Braben has made critically acclaimed games, and in recent times. If those games aren't something that you'd play that's fair enough but it doesn't mean they weren't good games. I'm of the opinion that Elite was a classic and did a lot of firsts. Since then Braben and co have made modern games that have been well received but aren't genres I'm interested. All that tells me that if he makes a new Elite then he has the capability to do it justice and that's enough for me to back him. I'll take the risk.

Also if there's no option for a lenslock they can go jump. Authenticity!

You'll have to plug a Rasberry Pi in to your PC via USB, which runs a crypto algorithm seeded with your unique customer private key, as well as keying in a one-time password received via SMS or a Rasberry Pi LCD. While squinting.. and making sure you're not holding it upside down... or inside out.

• Upvote 3

Hasn't stopped the punters:

6,976 Backers

£322,094 pledged of £1,250,000 goal

58 days to go

Reckon it'll tail off? I've not watched a Kickstarter project before.

6,976 Backers

58 days to go

I haven't followed many but I did follow the Project Eternity one very closely and other people who'd followed more projects had the same experience. There's a spike at the beginning when the project is announced then they tend to tail off until there's a surge of funding in the final day(s). The screenshot that was revealed for the Project Eternity kickstarter really did wonders for the campaign as it entered its final stretch. So I'd say if they manage to trickle out some details and screenshots over the course of the campaign which can get people excited they'll be fine.

I suppose the primary problem with this one is the UK/Euro-centric nature of it, all the other big kickstarters had a much larger potential pool of Americans to tap for funding, while Elite doesn't seem to hold much nostalgia for them.

6,976 Backers

58 days to go

For big ones there tends to be an inverted bell curve for supporters - they start fast, slow down, and then speed up at the end. How deep the trough goes in the middle depends how close it'll get to success.

Also the person wanting the funding has to have a stream of information and stretch goals to maintain and grow interest.

I am not convinced we will see this from David there have been no updates or changes to the pitch at all yet, and his 'thick skin' comment does not make him seem that understands the way other projects have approached the kickstarter process.

I'm not surprised he mentions requiring a thick skin, given the vehemence expressed by some people. You really do need a thick skin in this brave new world of instant public reaction, when people are so eager to express how angry they are that you have made an offer - yes, an offer, not something you have paid for - that doesn't meet their exacting requirements.

I'm not surprised he mentions requiring a thick skin, given the vehemence expressed by some people. You really do need a thick skin in this brave new world of instant public reaction, when people are so eager to express how angry they are that you have made an offer - yes, an offer, not something you have paid for - that doesn't meet their exacting requirements.

The anger in this case is 15 years waiting for a game which hasn't appeared yet despite occasional info that it's still on the go. It's the chickens coming home to roost.