Thor

Elite Dangerous - Beyond: Ch 3 due 28th August

5 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

I am thinking of A-kitting a Krait for PVE bounty hunting/general combat/a bit of Thargoid action. It goes up to 280m, more or less. Any opinions on Prismatic shields? I am thinking of using them along with some fast recharge engineering. Also, is reactive surface composite worth it without a light engineering module that essentially cuts weight in half?

Prismatic shields are a bit of a ball-ache to get. I haven't bothered. Also, you don't need to A-rate absolutely everything, and you also don't need the highest grade core parts to get an excellent ship - e.g. you don't really need a 7A Powerplant in a Krait. You could go for a 6a Powerplant which is lighter (lower mass = higher jump range), and then engineer it to be Overcharged (like a overclocking in a PC). 

I'm pretty sure my Asp Explorer has a 3D Power plant, when it'll take a 5A max. But it's engineered enough to power all systems required. My Asp's been stripped down so no weapons or anything, just an SRV bay, advanced discovery scanner, 3D shields, and a top of the range FSD. :)

10 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

No, it doesn't. The engineer requirements for a grade are, for example, 1x arsenic, 2x data and 1x any shit. When you gather the material and go to engineer for that grade they are not enough to get you to the next REP grade. You need to magically know to have MORE than the requirements asked because each grade has stages. Unless of course you do your research outside the game, in which case all is great.

Regardless of this the design of this game is more or less complete trash and I will bitch about it as long as it stays trash. It is a pure, endless grind for everything. I am highly tempted to start cheering for Roberts every time I load this up. :D

Hey! I also post pictures! :angry:

The requirements are what is needed for one roll of a grade, not for completing a grade - that always seemed fairly clear and obvious to me, given the progress bars.

Reputation with an Engineer is a separate thing. Yes you need to be e.g. Rep Grade 5 to do a Mod Grade 5, but it's not like you have to rep up again with the Engineer every time. It also does not take very long to rep up with an Engineer via crafting, plus as mentioned before there are other ways to increase rep.

Some resources are no trouble at all to acquire, some are a major grind. The traders make it much better then before, though.

I hate to think how you would have reacted to the old Engineering! ;)

Yes you do also post nice pics :)

8 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

I am thinking of A-kitting a Krait for PVE bounty hunting/general combat/a bit of Thargoid action. It goes up to 280m, more or less. Any opinions on Prismatic shields? I am thinking of using them along with some fast recharge engineering. Also, is reactive surface composite worth it without a light engineering module that essentially cuts weight in half?

I bought a Krait last week so I can do decent size cargo runs at outposts (all my other ships are either small or huge).

It's a great ship. Decent hard points, nice and agile, etc.

Prismatic shields are very good, but very slow at regenerating - even with the fast charge experimental effect. (They're also heavy and power hungry!)

I've got them on my Cutter, as I use it for short combat sessions, such as assassinations or wetwork.

On my Corvette, though, I've got Bi-Weave shields as I use it for longer combat sessions such as Conflict Zones or RES. (Also use them on my Krait, Cobra, and Vulture.) Not as strong, but massively faster to regenerate.

I always go for Thermal Resistance as the main mod on shields, with Fast Charge as the experimental effect on Bi-Weaves and Hi-Cap as the experimental effect on Prismatics.

Reactive armour is great, but expensive. Also really helps to have Thermal Resistance on it to counter its negatives, rather than Lightweight.

The stock armour can be modded with Heavy Duty to strengthen it, without a mass penalty.

A good option between those two is Military Grade armour with the Lightweight mod. Better strength than stock armour with Heavy Duty, lighter than Reactive with Thermal Resistance.

Thanks a lot, great tips. I know you don't have to A-kit everything, it's all about balance and how you want to use your ship. I had created a really amazing balance for my vulture but with the engineers added there's a lot of room for different and detailed builds.

My aim is to keep the Krait (with G5 FSD) close to 23, 34 ly jump range, while maintaning heavy shielding and protection, that is why I was considering lightweight on reactive armor. I just want to have as fast a recharge rate as possible for the shields (I know of course they can never be really fast as long as I don't choose Bi-Weaves).

Is the Krait fast enough to take advantage of the fast recharge rate of the Bi Weaves (get some distance, etc while they recharge?)

If you want as fast a recharge as possible for the shields, you definitely want to avoid Prismatics. Even with the Fast Charge experimental effect they take ages.

The Krait is easily fast enough to run with Bi-Weaves. Even better if you mod the Thrusters.

This is my current build, without Engineering:

(Still got more work to do, so haven't bothered putting the numbers into Coriolis yet. It's got/getting the usual mods I add - Thermal Resistant Shields, Dirty Thrusters, Shielded Life Support, Charge Enhanced Power Distributor, Armoured Power Plant, Increased Range FSD...)

https://s.orbis.zone/GrmU-AqG

It'll be getting Pacifier Frag-Cannons on Thursday, in place of the Beam Lasers.

9 hours ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

If you want as fast a recharge as possible for the shields, you definitely want to avoid Prismatics. Even with the Fast Charge experimental effect they take ages.

The Krait is easily fast enough to run with Bi-Weaves. Even better if you mod the Thrusters.

This is my current build, without Engineering:

(Still got more work to do, so haven't bothered putting the numbers into Coriolis yet. It's got/getting the usual mods I add - Thermal Resistant Shields, Dirty Thrusters, Shielded Life Support, Charge Enhanced Power Distributor, Armoured Power Plant, Increased Range FSD...)

https://s.orbis.zone/GrmU-AqG

It'll be getting Pacifier Frag-Cannons on Thursday, in place of the Beam Lasers.

That's great. Will follow your advice for the Krait. :D

Picked up the Commanders Pack in the sale for 15 quid. Been playing for a few days on and off and still don’t feel ready to take on the main game. Docking, dogfights, bounty hunting are all I’ve done in training. The bounty hunting one’s particularly difficult. How do you lock on or manage to even find opponents in a fight??

Remarkable how similar those things are to the original. Took me back to my incompetence at the original BBC Micro version. While my mates were off exploring the galaxy I was trying to figure out how the hell to dock.

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

I was trying to figure out how the hell to dock.

Pffft. Fitting mining lasers to your right wing then mining asteroids by trying to fly alongside them and shoot them by looking out of your right window was the real test of flying skills...

• Upvote 1

Get your ship (and screenshot) in the card game:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/439485-CONTEST-ED-Battle-Cards-Your-ship-in-the-game

I might have to ask for some help picking between my most photogenic selections, not that I have much of a chance.

Spoiler

1798646660_EliteDangerous_20180728124649.thumb.png.6ab742ae4b7f0fc5701be87244a4b854.png

There's an excellent Galnet article this week.

I made a cool 3M credits on a not-particularly-tricky tourism run, despite showing this level of competence:

I definitely didn't get it stuck on my rear left engine on the way out.

Spoiler

Which of these do you think is worth a shot in the contest?

Edit - I made an entry, left the best up for screenshots' sake.

Spoiler

Elite_Dangerous_20180728124056.png

Elite Dangerous_20180728124147.png

Elite Dangerous_20180728124649.png

Elite_Dangerous_20180729133748.png

Frontier Forums: Beyond - Chapter Three Launch Announcement

Greetings Commanders,

Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter Three is launching on August 28, and is the second of our two smaller content updates before the larger update called Chapter Four at the end of the year. Here’s a breakdown of the key features that we talked about at Gamescom:

Guardian Beacons

New Guardian Beacons have been discovered in the galaxy. These will lead you to new discoveries and help you uncover new Guardian secrets. The puzzles you solve at these giant structures will lead you to unlock some incredible new technology.

New Ships – Hybrid Fighters

The Hybrid fighters combine the best of both standard and Guardian technology to make them hyper-effective combat machines. They come in three variants:

The Trident armed with a plasma charger

The Javelin with a shard launcher

The Lance with a gauss projector

These ships are light, fast and agile with strong shields to let them dart into the fray. The trade-off, as with other smaller fighters, is that they have weaker hulls.

To acquire a Hybrid fighter blueprint you will need to investigate new Guardian beacons which will point you in the direction of the sites to investigate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9hu4DXno5w

https://community-cdn.frontier.co.uk/elite-dangerous/3.2%20update/afec3632-62d3-47c8-b44a-10434622b1f0.jpg

New Ship – The Alliance Crusader

A new member of the Alliance ship group, the Crusader acts as a midpoint between the Chieftain and the Challenger with one very important difference: A fighter bay!

https://community-cdn.frontier.co.uk/elite-dangerous/3.2%20update/a6f63db3-501c-4ec1-a3c9-15fd8c40f894.jpg

Engineers in Colonia!

The Engineers have arrived in Colonia! The engineers will be found at planet bases across the Colonia region and will only be available to players who have purchased the Horizons expansion and have done some engineering previously.

The new Engineers will only make contact with Commanders who have interacted with Felicity Farseer, Elvira Martuuk, The Dweller, Liz Ryder and Tod “The Blaster” Mcquinn. As with all existing Engineers, the new additions will all have to be unlocked before they make their services available.

Given that Colonia is a human colony on the fringe of space, not all technology will be available at first. Commanders out in fringe will need to work together with the Engineers to expand the available tech. That means the more a recipe is used the sooner will the improved version be made available.

Each Engineer will start as level 1 and as usual you will need to complete a request to unlock the engineer before you can upgrade any modules. The community can work together to raise the level of these engineers from 1 to 3! The current grade of the Engineers will be show on a local news article.

Wing Missions

Commanders will have the opportunity to take on planetary Wing Missions, further increasing the mission types you can take on with your friends. 

More Weapons!

The galaxy grows ever more dangerous, so we've increased the available firepower to help you defend yourselves. The following weapons have been added to outfitting:

Large Dumbfire Missile

Large Seeking Missile

Large Torpedo Launcher

Large Multi Cannon (turret)

The following weapons have been added to the human tech broker:

Small Shock Cannon (turret)

Small Shock Cannon (gimbal)

Small Shock Cannon (fixed)

The following weapons have been added to the Guardian tech Broker

Small Guardian plasma launcher (turret)

Small Guardian plasma launcher (fixed)

Small Guardian Shard Cannon (turret)

Small Guardian Shard Cannon (fixed)

Small Guardian Gauss Cannon (fixed)

Thanks again for your continued support Commanders. We can't wait to see what you think of these new additions! o7

• Upvote 1

I know it’s meant to be a salute but that always looks like someone scratching their head to me and I’ve had it up to here o] with it.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

This frickin' game.  Having ploughed 1000 hours into this, I went into a lull for a few weeks.  I'd fire it up, go to a High RES, a bit of pew-pew in the Vulture and that was about it.  Then when back at the base yesterday I spotted a "Need 1305 Gold" for the Federation and paying 31 MILLION!  One quick transfer for my 752 ton capacity Type-9 Heavy and HMS Arthur Daley only had to survive three interdictions over a 40ly set of jumps.

I was thinking of going for Tycoon level but the grind of taking a Type 9 around was just too dull.  That one mission popped me from Entrepreneur 17% to 30% in one quick go and now I'm bloody back in.

Update 3.2 Patch Notes:

(Tagged due to length.)

Spoiler

Greetings Commanders,

Here are the release notes for Beyond Chapter 3. 

Weapons

The following weapons have been added to outfitting (where applicable):

Large Dumbfire Missile

Large Seeking Missile

Large Torpedo Launcher

Large Multi Cannon (turret)

The following weapons have been added to the Human Tech Broker:

Small Shock Cannon (turret)

Small Shock Cannon (gimbal)

Small Shock Cannon (fixed)

The following weapons have been added to the Guardian Tech Broker

Small Guardian plasma launcher (turret)

Small Guardian plasma launcher (fixed)

Small Guardian Shard Cannon (turret)

Small Guardian Shard Cannon (fixed)

Small Guardian Gauss Cannon (fixed)

Ships

Crusader : Latest member of the Alliance ship group. A medium sized ship based on the Alliance Chieftain, with the additional space to carry a fighter bay.

Guardians

New Guardian sites added to space and planet surfaces for players to investigate.

Three Guardian fighters added (via Guardian tech brokers):

Trident (XG7) armed with a Plasma Auto Cannon

Javelin (XG8) armed with a Shard Launcher

Lance (XG9) armed with a Gauss Focus Cannon

Engineers

Players will now be able to work with a variety of Engineers across the Colonia region.

Wing Missions

Added two new wing mission types:

Planetary settlement hack

Planetary settlement disable

Fixes and Improvements

Art

Fixed some misaligned geometry at Pavlov Beacon

Audio
Increased the volume of the Archer COVAS pack

Galaxy Map/System Map
Renamed some systems that had duplicated names

General Fixes & Tweaks

Fixed some German localisation issues

Fixed some localisation issues with the unlock messages for Guardian technologies

Fixed issue where ships hitcheck is missing when player is in an SRV

Installations/POIs/USSs

Fixed a rare issue causing a resource extraction site to be incorrectly positioned outside an asteroid belt

Added missing interaction objects to Agricultural Installation

Fixed some improperly placed Guardian pylons

Fixed Skimmers not spawning correctly at Bova Point+

Missions

Fixed some instances of mission targets not appearing in mission specific signal sources

Fixed an issue with completing Source and Return missions

Fixed mission objectives not spawning for Dark Wheel Wetwork mission

Fixed some instances of Assassination missions not updating correctly when scanning a Nav Beacon

Fixed missing text in some mission messages

Fixed wing depot text incorrectly appearing in a non-wing variant

Powerplay
Fixed the 20% discount on Corrosion Resistant Cargo Racks not applying at an Edmund Mahon controlled station

Ships & SRV

Anaconda
Fixed the Pulse paintjob displaying incorrectly when your ship is damaged

Imperial Clipper
Improved some areas of the Military paintjob

Krait Mk. II

Fixed antenna that could only be seen from inside the cockpit

Fixed the order of the dashboard bobblehead slots

Fixed missing boost and thruster audio when in vanity camera

Fixed description inconsistencies

Fixed outfitting camera issues whilst in VR

Fixed missing UI audio for multi-crew members

Federal Drop Ship
Fixed incorrect name plate outfitting cameras

Stability Fixes 

Fixed a memory related crash for Xbox One

Fixed a rare crash that could occur when in an Remote Engineer Workshop

Fixed a rare Galaxy Map crash

Fixed Xbox One crash that could occur when disconnecting a controller

Fixed a crash that could occur when activating data points at Penal Colony BV-2259

Fixed a crash that could occur when swapping modules

User Interface
Fixed the landing pad number being truncated when playing the game in Brazilian Portuguese

Weapons & Modules

Fixed Guardian Modules being listed incorrectly when playing the game in Russian

Fixed an issue whereby the turreted version of the Flechette Launcher would not show in outfitting if unlocked before the fixed version

Server Fixes and Tweaks

Demand for mined commodities during mining community goals should now be displayed in the commodity market's demand column

Fix Commander module storage limits occasionally breaking when swapping multiple modules between storage & ship

Premium guardian synthesis recipes now use guardian materials, like the basic & standard guardian recipes

Markets at risk of being affected by Thargoid Sensor interference should more clearly advertise their increased demand for meta alloys

• Upvote 1

Last year, the Canonn Research Group became the first player faction to get its very own Megaship, via a Community Goal: The Gnosis.

It has a jump range of 551 ly, and jumps once per week during the Thursday downtime (subject to Canonn's monthly jump schedule being approved in advance by Frontier).

In August, Canonn announced plans for The Gnosis to jump from Outotz ST-I d9-4 to Cone Sector FN-J b9-0 on Thursday 6 September, for a four-week tour of the Cone Sector.

The Cone Sector is only a couple of thousand light-years from Sol, but it's surrounded by permit-locked systems and so is unreachable by any standard ship, no matter how big the FSD is or how much it's been Engineered.

Canonn's plan was to take advantage of The Gnosis' huge jump range to leapfrog the permit-locked systems and jump into Cone Sector FN-J B9-0.

Things didn't quite work out as planned...

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/The_Gnosis#Cone_Sector_expedition

On August 28, the Pilots Federation placed Cone Sector FN-J b9-0 and all other systems in the Cone Sector under a permit-lock. The following day, the organisation explained that the Cone Sector was believed to contain high concentrations of a newly-encountered and extremely dangerous Thargoid Interceptor variant, the Hydra, and had placed the permit-lock in the interest of public safety. Nonetheless, Canonn Gnosis Division confirmed that The Gnosis would attempt the jump to Cone Sector FN-J b9-0 as scheduled.[8] After The Gnosis arrived in the Outotz ST-I d9-4 system on August 30, the Eagle Eye array intercepted Thargoid transmissions that referenced the same system, implying that The Gnosis's movements had drawn the Thargoids' attention and the vessel was under their observation. This also coincided with the sudden and unexplained disappearance of all Thargoid Scouts from the Core Systems and the Pleiades Nebula.[9]

GALNET: 30 AUG 3304 - New Thargoid Interceptor Encountered

... Admiral Aden Tanner, Aegis’s chief military liaison, made this statement:

“We can confirm that this new ship – classified as the Hydra – is a variant of the Thargoid Interceptor. It is structurally stronger than the Cyclops, Basilisk or Medusa, and releases a larger swarm of Thargon drones.”

In response to this development, the Pilots Federation has sealed off the Cone Sector FN-J B9-0 system, which is believed to contain high concentrations of Hydra Interceptors. Despite this, it is understood that the Gnosis, flagship of the Canonn Interstellar Research Group, will attempt to complete its scheduled jump into the now permit-locked system.

Despite the warnings, some 11,000 CMDRs made the journey to Outotz ST-I d9-4 (or earlier stops) to board The Gnosis for its journey into the unknown.

In addition to CMDRs from Canonn, the expedition included members of the Anti-Xeno Initiative (AXI) and other player groups, as well as many independent CMDRs out to do some exploration, or bug hunting, or griefing...

In the final runup to this morning's scheduled departure at 8am BST (7am Galactic Time), GALNET prematurely published the following article, before the server downtime / megajump:

GALNET: 06 SEP 3304 - Gnosis Stranded

A scientific-research vessel has been left stranded following a Thargoid attack.

The Gnosis, flagship of the Canonn Interstellar Research Group, recently made a hyperspace jump towards the Cone Sector FN-J B9-0 system. A short time later, the following message was received from Captain Mathius Leander of the Gnosis command crew:

“We were a short way into our journey when the Gnosis was hyperdicted by a group of Thargoid vessels. The wrench back into real space caused severe internal damage to multiple systems, including the frame shift drive.”

“There’s no doubt that we would have been destroyed if not for some of the Commanders travelling with us. They lured the Thargoids away while ejecting meta-alloys from their holds. The aliens were more interested in scooping up the meta-alloys than attacking us. The Commanders later reported that the Thargoid vessels were the recently identified Hydra Interceptors.”

“The Gnosis is currently adrift close to the eighth planet of the Outotz ST-I d9-6 system. We have begun essential repairs, but there is a risk that the Thargoids may return before we can escape the system.”

The spoiling of what was going to happen, coupled with the disappointment of those who were so keen to explore the uncharted, led to much salt on the forums, reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Discord, etc...

Some people decided they'd go back home once the servers were back up, others decided to stick with it and explore the "accidental" destination, or go fight the new Thargoid Interceptors.

Alas, the bugs had other plans:

Frontier worked quickly to address the main issues regarding insta-death when launching, fines for shooting Thargoids in the no fire zone, etc:

Status on Gnosis-related Bugs

Greetings Commanders.

We are aware of several issues affecting Commanders located at the Gnosis. The team are actively investigating and addressing these issues, so if you encounter any related to the Gnosis and the Thargoid attack, please report them here.

Currently:

The Interceptors that were causing shutdowns and destruction have been moved further away from the Gnosis, addressing player complaints of being destroyed before leaving docking pads.

The Gnosis' controlling faction is no longer issuing fines for fighting within its No Fire zone. Commanders are urged to defend against the imminent alien threat. Be warned, shooting at the Gnosis will result in fines.

For those Commanders who have found themselves detained further away, please contact our support team who will be happy to move you back to the Gnosis, should you wish to be…

Thank you for your understanding!

And talked about the situation as a whole:

Let's talk about Gnosis and the Cone Sector

Greetings Commanders,

As you and others may have noticed in the early hours of the morning, a GalNet article on our community site revealed the future fate of the Gnosis’ jump toward the Cone Sector . However, the intended jump was to take place at the normal time of the server tick, however this was not the case and has caused a disparity between the news Commanders were able to read and the actions that took place in game.

We are aware that this has caused a number of Commanders to express their discontent that the news that was announced and the fate of the Gnosis’ epic charter.

After seeing this morning’s feedback, we want to take the opportunity to explain a little more about the event as a whole, and how these actions are playing out right now in the game world, the galaxy.

Before the launch…

Canonn high command reached out to us to plan the next jumps for the Gnosis. The destination? The Cone Sector... Cone Sector FN-J B9-0, to be precise.

Without revealing too much about this area of space, the Cone Sector both in content and in game lore was always meant to be locked off; and the fact that certain systems within the sector weren’t permit-locked was an oversight from a time before it was possible for Megaships to make such jumps, like the Gnosis. 

Based on feedback we've received in the past, and in an aim to involve player agency in Elite Dangerous’ narrative, rather than simply making a universal change, or flicking a switch to ‘permit lock’ the systems in question (known in some corners of the community as “God modding”), we decided to incorporate the actions of a great Elite Dangerous player group, and a huge number of Commanders, into the wider lore of the game. Supporting the event as best we could with our own channels while reacting to an emergent piece of content from the community.

Working with Canonns’ event in mind, we decided to weave the event into the large game narrative, and the arrival of a threatening new Thargoid variant – the terrifying Hydra that some commanders woefully encountered recently. 

So, what’s happened so far?

The Canonn called for Commanders to join them on the expedition to the Cone Sector to make history in the name of both exploration and science! 

Meanwhile, across other areas of the galaxy, some Commanders reported sightings of what they believed to be a new Thargoid variant, later confirmed and classified by AEGIS and the Pilot’s Federation as the Hydra.

With this growing uncertainty, the Pilots’ Federation reported that the jump to the Cone Sector was not safe, not advised and urged Commanders to steer clear of any journeys there, permit-locking the systems.
Despite these warnings, Canonn would still make the jump into the unknown. And, with them, approximately 11,000 Commanders, from all walks of life, allegiances and states, pledged to this legendary expedition. Whether driven by a pursuit of knowledge, fearlessness or even perhaps… madness, they pledged their ship and soul to the future of the Gnosis. 

This morning

As the GalNet article explained, moments into its ground-breaking jump toward the Cone Sector FN-J B9-0 system, the Gnosis has been left stranded following a massive Thargoid attack in the Outotz ST-I d9-6 system.

Now, we are aware that the premature release of the GalNet article (‘Gnosis Stranded’) caused speculation and concern from the community. It spoke of events that had not yet had any consequence or implication in-game, and as this occurred in the early hours of the morning, had no explanation from the team. We have investigated why that article went live at the wrong time and corrected the community site’s GalNet news feed so that it won’t break embargo in the future.

We are also aware that there are a few issues causing problems for Commanders at the current location of the Gnosis. The team are actively investigating and correcting those issues. Some of those issues are already fixed, while others are being addressed and a fix is in progress currently. Please visit the following thread for the current status update on these issues. 

We would like to thank all of the Commanders who have provided their feedback – and pledged to aid the Gnosis in its defence against the alien threat and the terrifying new Thargoid variant. We would also like to take this opportunity to apologise for the confusion and bugs within this event but we are hugely grateful to the many thousands of Commanders who came together to make the event possible and become a part of history. 

For those Commanders who have found themselves detained further away, please contact our support team who will be happy to move you back to the Gnosis, should you wish to be…

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/445812-Let-s-talk-about-Gnosis-and-the-Cone-Sector?p=6986326&viewfull=1#post6986326

Just to clarify from the post above. 

The area of space (Cone sector) that the Gnosis was aiming to jump to was never a location that was able to jump to. This is because the location is specifically meant to be used for future narrative. That's the reason why the initiative from the community was weaved into the actual lore of the game. 

Thanks, 

Zac

Canonn have commented on it (in RP):

Gnosis Jump Fails

I took my (AX build) Krait Mk 2 to the Gnosis last night. Not logged on since this all happened, but I'm curious to see the state of things when I do...

Exploration changes.  From https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/447043-Chapter-Four-Exploration-Reveal

Chapter Four - Exploration Reveal

Hello Commanders!

We're going to be shaking the format up slightly for the final main topic of discussion surrounding some of the major features of Chapter Four of Beyond. We're soon going to be revealing more details about the next update, so for this post, we'd like you to share all of your questions and comments in reply to this thread, and we'll try to respond to as many as we can! 

In this post we’ll be presenting just some of the improvements coming to exploration in the next update. There's a number of benefits that we are aiming to bring in with this exploration overhaul which we've listed out below, with more detailed explanation underneath. 

Benefits of Exploration Improvements

Make exploration more involved: By introducing a process we aim to make exploration feel more meaningful, making the results more satisfying and rewarding.

Replace flying time with gameplay: We want to reduce the amount of time you have to spend flying to a planet just to discover it. The only time we want you to fly to a planet is because you want to visit it as there’s something there you want to see or do. Ultimately that will make exploring planetary bodies and getting first discoveries in a system quicker and more engaging at the same time.

Remove Random USS Spawning: You will now be able to use your skill to locate signal sources rather than rely on luck. you will have the ability to identify a USS from anywhere in the system and then explore and discover these locations.

Reduce the time to find planet surface locations: You will now be able to employ game play to make searching out interesting surface locations/POIs quicker and more interesting rather than flying across the planet in low orbit.

Improve multiplayer exploration: With both of the module upgrades we are making sure that wings and multi-crew are supported.

Holistic System:The improvements to exploration mechanics tie together not just new discoveries, but mining, missions and signal source location in one package.

All new "First mapped": You'll be able to add a first mapped across any planet within the galaxy, including within the bubble. Giving all players that have joined the game since it's launch even more opportunity to make their mark on the galaxy.

Check out the full details below.

The Discovery Scanner

Because explorers ply their trade far from civilized space, we’ve decided to not add new module requirements. Instead, we’re improving the discovery scanner and detailed surface scanner so Commanders can jump right in as soon as the update is released, without having to spend time traveling back to a port to purchase new gear.

When you activate the discovery scanner you will now be taken to an all-new scanning interface and view. In this augmented camera view you are able to interrogate the system using new functionality of the scanner.

The process still starts with the “honk” (system scan), though its usage is now the start of a more engaging process (if all you did before was scan for some credits, don't worry, the scan still awards credits.)

The system scan now returns an aggregated display of how energetic the electromagnetic emissions are in the system. Signals are sorted on a low to high scale by their apparent energy. For example, emissions from rocky clusters will appear at the lower end of the scale, hot gas giants at the upper range. This information requires some interpretation as signals can overlap.

You are able to tune the focus of your sensors to a particular point on the scale, making emissions from objects at this range much clearer, at the cost of filtering out signals returned from bodies not emitting at this range.

As you move the view around, you are aiming your discovery scanner sensors. To aid you, the discovery scanner view also features a repeating sweep of gravitational disturbance detected in the system. You can use this sweep to narrow your search for stellar bodies, as well as start your search around the star's orbital plane, which is revealed by the initial system scan.

Emissions that come close enough to your view’s focus are represented by signature patterns around a central reticule. If you are tuned to the correct point on the energy scale the signal will show as a symmetrical pattern clearly showing the direction towards the origin of the signal, allowing you to locate it. The further away your energy tuning, the more distorted and asymmetrical the pattern becomes, hiding the precise direction and location.

Once you have a candidate origin, you can use the scanner to reconstruct a massively zoomed in view. If you aimed precisely enough, you will discover the stellar body. If there are a number of stellar bodies in relative close proximity to your focus, you may need to repeat the process to isolate individual signals.

As you locate and identify stellar bodies their emissions are filtered out, instead becoming markers on the energy range, making it easier to find the remaining bodies. It's at this point in that you will gain the “first discovered” tag, rather than having to physically visit the planet (you still need to sell the data at a port to gain the tag). All current first discovered tags will remain.

Importantly, when you uncover a planet using the discovery scanner, as well as being informed of the resources available on it, the presence of unusual locations, such as Guardian sites, will also be revealed. However, their precise location won’t be shown until you have mapped the planet with the detailed surface scanner. 

Unidentified Signal Sources

Along with the Exploration update, we are improving the way that USSs work. USSs will now spawn throughout the entire system when you first enter it. This enables you to use the new exploration tools to find USSs throughout the system, not just in the area around you. You can still interrogate nav beacons to find the locations. 

Whilst USSs do still have a decay time, the timers have been increased to allow you time to find and fly to the ones you are interested in. The decay time is also now displayed when targeted. Signal sources still obey rules determining where they can appear within a system, and mission critical signal sources will still be highlighted to differentiate themselves once located.

The Detailed Surface Scanner

Again, this module will not be replaced. Instead, the detailed surface scanner gains the ability to launch micro sensor probes in supercruise. You will use these probes to “map” a planet’s surface and locate resource hotspots in its rings.

These flight-assisted probes are launched via a new aiming interface when activating the detailed surface scanner. The probes will arc towards a planet’s surface and when close enough will “display” sensor coverage over a large area. Once enough of the surface has coverage, the probes will collate and report their findings. To map rings around a planet you need to hit each ring with a single probe.

To allow for skilled play you can aim probes away from the planet, allowing them to arc around it, potentially letting you hit the surface on far side of the planet. If you aim too far away, the probe will fly right past and miss, but by using mass and size information displayed on the HUD you will be able to lob probes and get full coverage without having to fly around the planet.

You will be able to synthesise micro-probes for the detailed surface scanner, but the better aim you are, the less probes you will need to get complete coverage.

When you do achieve this, any unusual locations will be revealed to your ship’s navigation systems. So no more eyeballing an entire planet to find those brain trees!

First Mapped By

We are also adding a new opportunity to get your Commander's name immortalised in the game with the new 'First Mapped By' tag. The first person to successfully map a planet to 100% and sell the resulting data at a port, will be awarded this tag. This also applies for planets that have already got a 'First Discovered' tag as well. 

Multi-Crew

As part of the exploration update, we are making sure that multi-crew members can use the discovery scanner and detailed surface scanner at the same time and all discoveries are shared among crew or wing.

This allows wings or commanders in multi-crew to engage in exploration together, each earning credits and exploration rank and making the process more efficient.

• Upvote 2

I think these are good...

I like the fixed signal source stuff, the fact they just popped into existence was always very placeholder.

I think it will slow stuff down so maybe that will be bad... I guess it is hard to add extra mechanics into an existing system.

I plan on starting a new game of this as I never really got far the first time I played. I've bought a Hotas flight stick for my Xbox One. Are the default controls for that ok, or should I be looking to change anything? Thanks

You'll want to change it over time, I expect, as there are plenty more actions you can add to it that aren't pre-mapped and you may find a more comfortable rearrangement that suits you.

But don't worry about getting it right before you start. You've got a long time in the galaxy. Just adjust as you go.

• Upvote 2

New beta announced https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/451045-Beyond-Chapter-Four-Beta-Announcement

We are expecting beta milestones to go live on the Tuesday of each week. However, we will update you in the News and Announcement forums as each update is made available.
a7fd4f74-d072-11e8-a8d5-f2801f1b9fd1.png
As always we welcome your feedback on our dedicated beta and bug report forums. These reports, and the data provided, by these beta tests are incredibly valuable and useful in the development of Elite Dangerous. You can find a breakdown of Chapter Four’s features below:

Exploration

The Analysis Mode with the improved Exploration Discovery Scanner and Detailed Discovery Scanner, is a game-changing, brand new way for all Commanders to explore the Milky Way galaxy. After the initial scan of the system, you will then be able to tune your scanners to find stellar bodies and other phenomena. Unidentified Signal Sources and conflict zones will also appear as dotted lines within this mode, allowing you to easily track down interesting or important things within the system. Not only is this new system a more realistic, satisfying and engaging exploration experience, but now you will be able to make more informed decisions on where to look next, and you will be more rewarded for your time spent exploring. Commanders will now have probes at their disposal to map the planetary surfaces, and planetary rings, in detail, to locate points of interest and leave your mark on the galaxy in a different way. 

All of the above, in addition to the new in-game codex where Commanders will see a new way of recording their findings in both a collaborative and individual way, are just a few things coming with the changes to exploration. We're barely scratching the surface here with the changes to exploration, so make sure to tune in to the livestream on 18 October, to find out more.

Mining

Asteroid belts and planetary rings are about to get very busy. New tools and mechanics will provide a fresh, exciting and lucrative mining experience for all Elite Dangerous Commanders. Using new exploration mechanics, miners can investigate rings to locate the best spots to start their mining sessions, and then the best specific asteroids to probe and excavate for rewards. With the right amount of skill and expertise, the new Abrasion blaster, Sub-surface displacement missile, and Seismic charge launcher, will provide some exciting and explosive results. 

Want to go deeper with these features and learn more about mining? Tune in to the livestream on 1 November, to find out more.

Squadrons

Squadrons is a new in-game way of uniting like-minded Commanders to support factions of their choice, take part in Community Goals together and compete for top spots in seasonal leader boards. New communication tools, including in-game chat channels, will help you blaze trails together, and leave your Squadron's mark on the galaxy. 

Learn more about Squadrons in our livestream on 30 October.

...and more!

There's a number of other huge changes coming to Elite Dangerous, including visual improvements, background simulation updates, and (yet to be revealed) cockpit interface changes, and other features that we can't wait to tell you about. 

Prior to the introduction of the content on the beta, we’ll be hosting a number of deep-dive livestreams with developer guests, where we showcase the content and you have the chance to voice your questions and comments.

The Chapter Four content reveal livestreams will be on the following dates:

Exploration, Codex and Visual Improvements – 18 October (19:00 BST)

BGS and Scenario Interactions – 25 October (19:00 BST)

Squadrons – 30 October (19:00 GMT)

Mining – 01 November (19:00 GMT)

The Ships – 8 November (19:00 GMT)

If you’re not able to catch the streams, don’t worry! We will be posting a recap of the all the content unveiled shortly after each livestream.

We can’t wait to see what you think!

trailer

• Upvote 4

The new mining mechanic sounds good:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/elite-dangerous/elite-dangerous-mining?amp

“The idea here is that the the skill, the jeopardy, and the time put into these new ways to extract resources will pay out somewhere in the region of what’s expected,” Woods says. “With the motherlode, there is a certain amount of danger to it. You have to figure out how close you can get to this thing before it blows, and it’s pretty terrifying and awe inspiring when it does.”

I’ve been dabbling in the Xbox version since launch on and off. Mostly just making money trading as I suppose I see the game as some sort of relaxing space based sight seeing endeavour. I bought an Occulus Rift last Monday and restarted with the PC version. Mind is absolutely blown. Being ‘in’ my Sidewinder and docking at a gigantic orbital platform is stunning. Not to mention arriving at the entrance only for a Beluga liner to roar out above my ship. Incredible stuff. I had PSVR before but this on the Rift is just something else. A lot of it actually makes more sense now as in hindsight some design decisions were clearly made with VR in mind.

I had a 15 minute play around with the new discovery scanner.  I think I like it, based on that brief go. 

The UI mode switching was doing my head in.  Don't know if it's messy or just different than the last few years of muscle memory.

The new colour grading is really nice.  Still bugs me that there's no TAA in the game.  Lovely lighting but it's still a mass of aliasing around stations etc.