rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
johnj

Video Equipment Thread

Hi Iwan,

I don't know what yet, but I make a lot of stuff for crowd sourced contests (Sometimes with small budgets) - would you be interested in shooting a bit (I don't know what yet, when the right project comes up) and where are you based? Cheers!

Would your quadcopter take a black magic pocket camera do you think?

I'm based just outside Glasgow. The problem is that you need certification to do any flying / filming for commercial purposes, so legally I can't really offer my 'services'. Its a pain, but its about £2k to get certified which is too much for casual stuff.

AWESOME! did you build it yourself?? Have you got any guides if you did?

I built a certain amount myself, based on many different sources. The gimbal itself is this one - http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phantom-brushless-gimbal-camera-mount-w-motor-and-controller-for-gopro3-fpv-aerial-photography.html

The quadcopter itself I built up from a cheap frame from ebay and bought everything else separately. There is loads of information regarding builds, but I didnt follow any specific one I'm afraid.

Anyone used one of the handheld gimbal rigs? In the past I've considered doing a Steadicam course, but these seem to be really coming into their own at the moment. Been following this one for a while:

Would very much like to get one, comes out at about £3k for the rig and controller after conversion and VAT (no idea about shipping though) but compared to some that's a bargain price! Would have thought it'd be relatively popular for rental too, which would be a nice way to supplement things.

So I finally got a chance to use one of these for an event on Thursday, and whilst the footage looks good and the ability to move it around with the control thumbstick was great, it was a bit of a nightmare overall. Set-up took hours as it was supposed to be ready to go "out of the box" from the hire company but actually wasn't, and then that model was actually just too heavy to use for a period of time longer than about 30 minutes (not really good enough to do a 4 hour event). Fortunately I had a tripod and mono with me as well which meant I wasn't tied to it, but still something of a mixed bag.

I'd like to try out some smaller systems though, that company do a smaller one (the G2) but I can't seem to find it for rental. Think I'll hold off and invest in an A7S and a good video monopod for the time being instead, as the low light capability would be invaluable.

Hey redbloodcell,

Sorry if you've gone over this before, what kind of stuff is it you do, do you have a website?

The place I see the gimbals being used is for planned long shots like in Children of Men or True Detective etc - a perhaps slightly cheaper and more useable alternative than a whole steadicam rig.

I think Scratchy might have taken a gimbal to croatia recently so will be interesting to see what he makes of it.

I think Scratchy might have taken a gimbal to croatia recently so will be interesting to see what he makes of it.

Yeah, we took a MoVi M10 to Croatia and got some great results with it. It's nowhere near as accessible as we were led to believe though and it really does take some practice to achieve anything even remotely close to usable.

We were out there for two weeks and and the beginning of the shoot it took around an hour to setup and calibrate. By the end of the trip our DoP had managed to cut down the setup time to 30 minutes. It's a fairly temperamental bit of kit though and if you're doing rigorous movements it's quite common for the system to suddenly fail which means having to go through the entire calibration process again with a tablet or laptop.

The other thing we found was that weight is very limited on these things. We were using a stripped down RED Scarlet with just the volts for power and this was definitely the maximum weight that the M10 could handle. this means you're limited to twenty minutes of power per volt. It does feel as though these gimbals were built with SLR's in mind, which is interesting considering SLR's still don't handle movement particularly well.

We also discovered that the M10's batteries are fairly dangerous. We were told by the rental house to keep the batteries in hand luggage. We cleared security only to discover that smoke was literally emanating from my DoP's bag. One of the batteries had exploded and burnt through several of his clothes!

Having worked with both a steadicam (With pro operator) and a gimbal now, I can safely say that a gimbal is in no way a substitute for a proper stabiliser rig and operator, but it is a great little entry level device if your budget is limited and you need to try and achieve comparable shots yourself.

Finally, here's a picture of a Mexican with finely conditioned hair, operating a MoVI M10 and Scarlet on a moving speedboat, using a couple of shower caps to shield the camera from water.

post-316-0-73827900-1411983867_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Hey redbloodcell,

Sorry if you've gone over this before, what kind of stuff is it you do, do you have a website?

The place I see the gimbals being used is for planned long shots like in Children of Men or True Detective etc - a perhaps slightly cheaper and more useable alternative than a whole steadicam rig.

I do events coverage, interviews and the like at the moment for the most part for a few different clients. My website is Here.

I've had a (very) limited amount of time using a Steadicam as well, and I think it might have been a better option in some respects. My concern with using one has always been the pressure it puts on your back and where that pressure sits, think it would play merry havoc with mine over any kind of extended period.

Attempted another video yesterday at a local spot, mixing ground footage and aerial views. My gimbal has a tilt but forgot the cable to hook it up, a bit gutted as a downward look over the falls would have been excellent! Shall revisit soon.

• Upvote 4

I'm starting to do some videos for YouTube, just filming myself on the sofa for the most part, but with a few extra bits that I'll keep within budget for now. How much benefit would I get from a proper microphone? I was planning on using a standard USB one just out of shot and then match it up to the built-in mic. I'll be in effectively silent surroundings, so I'm guessing "not much". Also, has anyone used a YongNuo YN-160 light? I don't think I'll need anything more.

EDIT: Actual filming will be with a 5D2, so that's sorted.

Get a cheap lapel mic (like, 2 quid) and get magic lantern on the 5d II if it supports it and turn off auto compression and you're away as a starting point. That combination will make a big difference to just the onboard camera. Cheap LED lights are fine, you might want to get 2/3 so you can do a simple 3 point light setup

I didn't think of getting a lapel one, that would be fairly ideal. Have you used any in particular?

Light: Good, as it arrived today. I did consider a second light, but I think my flat has enough ambient light to not need the first light on full power, so the shadows shouldn't be too crazy. I'll definitely grab another if it is required though.

Thanks!