rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
johnj

Video Equipment Thread

How's the pocket cinema camera coming Andy? I'm trying to wangle a grant to get out to shoot in LA (and might just go anyway) and I'm going to be trying to get my kit as compact as possible.

Anyone else off to BVE at the end of the month? I've not been before but am looking forward to staring at new toys that I can't possibly afford for a day! :D

I'll be there on Wednesday.

Ah, I went today! Was pretty interesting, got to play with lots of cameras as well as have a good go on the Movi 10 (Freefly have a bit in the big CVP area in the middle) with both a 5d3 and one of the Canon Cine cams (don't know which as I was looking at it's butt the whole time!) attached. Was a bit of a strain on the arms with the heavier camera but with the DSLR it was really nice to handle.

Also really liked the screen on the Atmos Blade, really nice having 720p available at that size and on a field recorder.

Ah, I went today! Was pretty interesting, got to play with lots of cameras as well as have a good go on the Movi 10 (Freefly have a bit in the big CVP area in the middle) with both a 5d3 and one of the Canon Cine cams (don't know which as I was looking at it's butt the whole time!) attached. Was a bit of a strain on the arms with the heavier camera but with the DSLR it was really nice to handle.

Also really liked the screen on the Atmos Blade, really nice having 720p available at that size and on a field recorder.

Good review of the Atomos here.

Used the Sony FS700 for the first time recently. Couldn't wholeheartedly recommend the experience, 8bit only, noisy and compression is absolutely appalling - I've got cleaner video out of my Nikon D3200. There's a new recorder for it that is meant to do uncompressed (still 8bit) but we couldn't get it to work due to a bug in the camera. It also does that thing that non-pro cameras do of simply numbering files from 0001 up every time you change memory card so at the end of a shoot you've got potentially hundreds of files called 0001, 0002 etc. which makes conforming a fucking nightmare. Given this is competing against stuff like the Scarlet it simply isn't good enough.

Used the Sony FS700 for the first time recently. Couldn't wholeheartedly recommend the experience, 8bit only, noisy and compression is absolutely appalling - I've got cleaner video out of my Nikon D3200. There's a new recorder for it that is meant to do uncompressed (still 8bit) but we couldn't get it to work due to a bug in the camera. It also does that thing that non-pro cameras do of simply numbering files from 0001 up every time you change memory card so at the end of a shoot you've got potentially hundreds of files called 0001, 0002 etc. which makes conforming a fucking nightmare. Given this is competing against stuff like the Scarlet it simply isn't good enough.

I used the FS700 for ten days when it was first released. Ergonomically horrible design and so many frustrating design flaws. I'd be reluctant to use one again. The surprising thing about it is that a number of professional cinematographers supposedly contributed to its design!

What's odd is I've heard fairly encouraging things about the FS700, wasn't prepared for quite how bad the footage was. We shot some green screen on it - well lit, decent exposure etc. In the end I had to get the footage roto'd in order to actually use it, such was the issue with trying to key through those compression artifacts. Never again.

Edit: - your studios are just round the corner from where I live. Had no idea there were even studios there.

Would agree with that, didn't much like the image coming out at all.

What's odd is I've heard fairly encouraging things about the FS700, wasn't prepared for quite how bad the footage was. We shot some green screen on it - well lit, decent exposure etc. In the end I had to get the footage roto'd in order to actually use it, such was the issue with trying to key through those compression artifacts. Never again.

Edit: - your studios are just round the corner from where I live. Had no idea there were even studios there.

We've not been open long so we're only really just starting to market it. We did manage to get Idris Elba down last week though which was most awesome!

Come on down at any time! If nothing else, you can have a free game of table tennis.

Was just on Hobbyking looking at gimbles for my quad and came across this, massively cheap in comparison with other brands and the reviews say it's better than ones that cost 10x the price.

On a related note, had BBC America in work last week doing some interview with a previous Doctor Who and they brought a lorry load of stuff with them. Noticed all the camera's they were using were still 1080p, assumed they would be 4k now seeing it's standard on high end phones.

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking of getting a BMPCC soon as there's just been announced a metabones speed adapter so I can use my old lenses and my 550d is really starting to show its age, I remember someone here had one, how's it coming along? Any essential kit I should think about it? I've got a juiced link to pre-amp into it.

I'm thinking of getting a BMPCC soon as there's just been announced a metabones speed adapter so I can use my old lenses and my 550d is really starting to show its age, I remember someone here had one, how's it coming along? Any essential kit I should think about it? I've got a juiced link to pre-amp into it.

I was talking with a guy about it on the weekend as we were both covering an event and he was using a BMPCC. His verdict was that the the stuff you get out is great, but the drawbacks are a pain in the ass. Eats cards and batteries for breakfast, back screen isn't too great, temperamental (he was on his second body).

The active EF-MFT BMPCC speedbooster is exciting though, as it must mean the regular MFT one finally isn't far off! :D Think I'll grab one of those, a Sigma 18-35 1.8 and a GH4 as my next upgrade near the end of the year, my GH2 has been a great little camera but the extra features of the 4 make the jump big enough to justify it.

Was just on Hobbyking looking at gimbles for my quad and came across this, massively cheap in comparison with other brands and the reviews say it's better than ones that cost 10x the price.

Notice that these are available now, did you take the plunge?

I'm going to watch Bloom's review of the GH4 in a mo, it looks great.....except I haven't seen anyone shoot anything on it yet where I've thought, 'yikes, that looks great' - I dunno if it's just typical review footage, the codec or whatever, but I just get a niggly video feeling from it. Hopefully as more people get out there using it we'll be able to see what it can do a bit better.

I need a DOP on Saturday as an aside if anyone is interested!

I've just watched Philip's review and Thailand film and I think it looks great. So many good cameras out there at the moment though. That A7S looks unbelievable in low-light and is full frame - so tempting.

The price of the BMPCC just dropped to 330 quid .... that's my camera for the next ten years sorted then :) That said, by the time you add an EF Speed Booster it's about 1k....which is coming close to getting a standard BMC.

On a shoot with an Alexa XT today.

post-639-0-04804000-1405542746_thumb.jpg

Last three jobs I've done were shot on the XT, it's hands down the best digital camera ever made for my money. You can shoot Raw at around 3K, and that's actual 3K, not Red's bullshit resolution. Footage can be extracted to any colour space directly from Raw and the results are just stunning. I'd even take it over 35mm in most instances.

Also, nice to see sliders gaining traction amongst professional DP's. This was mounted to a dolly on wheels, makes it so much quicker to setup than having to wait for track to get laid.

• Upvote 2

The price of the BMPCC just dropped to 330 quid .... that's my camera for the next ten years sorted then :) That said, by the time you add an EF Speed Booster it's about 1k....which is coming close to getting a standard BMC.

£354 inc VAT and Free Delivery at CVP. Unbelievable price.

Well, I just bought one anyway, maybe I'll sell my Rokina glass and get the Panasonic 12-35 and have done. Really good chance to reboot my kit and get it all spanking with a nice cage etc. Reasonably confident I can get good audio in via my juiced link but we'll see.

It's certainly a camera with issues, but I think for the amateur film maker, at this price, it has to be the camera of choice.

• Upvote 1

What are the issues with the black magic pocket? I've not really used them much.

• Can't delete clips.
  • Can't format cards in camera.
  • Battery life sucks.

Those are my main gripes. There is an in-depth review here if you are interested.

Yeah, that footage is from a hero 2! Nothing in particular planned really, it's just a hobby for me. Now need to try and think of interesting locations to film at and get perspectives you wouldn't be able to otherwise!

Hi Iwan,

I don't know what yet, but I make a lot of stuff for crowd sourced contests (Sometimes with small budgets) - would you be interested in shooting a bit (I don't know what yet, when the right project comes up) and where are you based? Cheers!

Would your quadcopter take a black magic pocket camera do you think?

I hope a few of the rllmuk people here don't mind me PMing them for advice, been offered to pitch for something a bit bigger (still small fry to most of you guys though I'm sure;)) than my usual stuff ($10k) but the brief is a bit mission impossible and I'm wondering if I'd be insane to take it on.