rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
johnj

Video Equipment Thread

Hey folks, has anyone got any experience with the Metabones speedbosters? Very tempted to get one to improve the low-light performance of my GH2.

I don't personally but this guy does and I trust his views.

Cheers, I'd seen the original before but not the bokeh test and that's was one of my concerns. It'd be a serious bit of investment as I'd have to get at least 2 new lenses on top, but I'm thinking the results would be worth it. Hopefully it won't lose it's value too badly either as long as MFT is still going strong as a mount.

I tried the metabones. All I can say was, it was good. Don't remember much about it.

I got a 5d MK III the other day so er, if anyone fancies a cheap rental let me know! The RAW Video is incredible. Could do with work flows catching up a bit so it would be as easy as RED but it's getting there.

Also, I'd really like to rent a slider with a crank if anyone's got one. Does the crank make a huge difference to the consistency of movement? I assume it does but, never tried it :o

Hey John, how are you finding the MIII in Raw? Have you experienced any dropped frames? If the RAW mode works properly, I'm seriously tempted to get one as that is an incredible price for a camera with that specification.

I've just gone a bit extreme and got myself a film and photography studio. And a ping pong table. I got so sick of having to spent extortionate amounts renting out green screen studios for personal projects that I decided to get a warehouse and convert it into a fully functioning studio, complete with full size infinity cove. Now I can shoot whenever, and hopefully also charge (not quite as) extortionate prices to other filmmakers / photographers. I naively thought this would be a simple process, but since I'm barely a fully-functioning adult, it has been an insane amount of work and I keep on trying to remember what the hell make me decide to do this.

If all else fails, we have a good coffee machine at least. And a ping pong table. Still a fair bit to do (Including swapping our 6k space lights for flow banks), but nearly ready to launch now!

post-316-0-91307000-1375008863_thumb.jpg

post-316-0-35258900-1375008874_thumb.jpg

post-316-0-52556300-1375008883_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

I have a project coming up that I need a studio for, can I be your first rental?! :D How much you charging? This'll be a grant funded project for mofilm so happy to pay standard rates, though maybe not if it's standard london rates, which can be a bit mad.

Studio looks bloody fantastic.

Raw was flawless, no dropped frames as far as I can see and super nice. If you want I can bring it over for a play some time?

The reason I got the MK III was that I was getting a bit 'gear head' in my rentals, constantly trying to rent a camera for projects, but the rental process costs a bomb and makes the work flow about a 1000x harder when you've got a full time job and deliveries etc coming in - so I figured the MK III Would give me that RAW flexibility, portability, sound options and try and kill off the bit in my head that insisted I needed to rent a RED. Plus the available light shooting, ease of transport, think I said earlier in the thread I'd save up for a Scarlet but feck that, even the 60 fps slow mo looks half decent.

So Blackmagic have dropped the Cinema Camera down to under $2000 today, which is an insane price given it includes Resolve as well! Anybody tempted?

I have been waiting for the Pocket Cinema Camera to have a play but that is very tempting.

I have been waiting for the Pocket Cinema Camera to have a play but that is very tempting.

Ordered mine in April... Still nothing. And it's been over a year and a half since I backed this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/midasmount/snapfocus-follow-focus-system

The desire to do the personal projects I ordered both for has kind of gone away. Hopefully it will come back if/when both of them ship.

Ordered mine in April... Still nothing. And it's been over a year and a half since I backed this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/midasmount/snapfocus-follow-focus-system

The desire to do the personal projects I ordered both for has kind of gone away. Hopefully it will come back if/when both of them ship.

Where did you order from? I was chatting to the guy at CVP and he said they are getting stock in regularly but are still fulfilling orders from back when it was announced at NAB.

Anyone used one of the handheld gimbal rigs? In the past I've considered doing a Steadicam course, but these seem to be really coming into their own at the moment. Been following this one for a while:

Would very much like to get one, comes out at about £3k for the rig and controller after conversion and VAT (no idea about shipping though) but compared to some that's a bargain price! Would have thought it'd be relatively popular for rental too, which would be a nice way to supplement things.

I'm going to be using the MoVI M10 early next month. My DoP is testing it out all of this week and the steadicam operator that he usually works with is pretty convinced that it's going to be the death of the traditional stabiliser rig, especially as there appears to be a trend in high-end cameras getting smaller.

Check out the videos (Main promo and behind the scenes) if you haven't seen them yet: http://www.freeflysystems.com/media/videos.php

In regards to new toys, just got a Scarlet package to go with my Red MX. It boots up so much faster and it's pretty light and small in comparison. The idea is to upgrade the brain to Dragon sensor early next year!

Just need to get a RED Touch 5" LCD now.

post-316-0-10349100-1384724146_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cheers :) I'd seen the Red Epic IR video that's on there, love that last shot over the balcony especially as it works so damn nicely. The bit in the video with the horse when the op is actually on the horse made me want to shoot a Western just to do that with it too :D

Ha, I've always wanted to shoot a Western. Every time I'm approached to make a music video, my first thought is always to make a Western tribute. Annoyingly, most of the acts that come to us are rooted firmly in generic hip hop and just stare blankly at me when I bring up horses and Mexican Ponchos...

Shot on the C300 last weekend, really nice,great in low light and pretty pictures. Some slightly odd menu configurations and not about it if you're buying one, but for a dslr user its a really nice familiar work flow.

Jealous of that scarlet scratchy ;)

Played about with my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema over the last few weekends. Really gorgeous picture for the price. It has some foibles, but overall it feels like a quality piece of kit. Can't wait to get my SnapFocus & rig and start shooting proper. :)

Where did you order from? I was chatting to the guy at CVP and he said they are getting stock in regularly but are still fulfilling orders from back when it was announced at NAB.

Yeah I got it from CVP - ordered on release day but I guess a few (lol) others did too.

It does sound good, but means buying Nikon glass. I've only got Lumix lenses from my GF2 days and I don't have the money to

go out & buy new lenses even if it'd like to.

For video use, you could go and buy old manual lenses and not see much of a difference. In fact seeing as the focus rings are properly damped, they might actually be better suited than modern AF lenses.

A little video I made for my work, using a gopro and my hacked Canon GH2:

How can I make the video footage look.....more professional? Are there some stock filters that can be applied to sharpen it up? Or do I really need to use the full bitrate hack to get better IQ?

• Upvote 1

I don't think the colours are too bad - they seem appropriate for what's going on - what I would question is whether that 5 minutes couldn't be condensed into 1 minute - dunno what the brief was though.

Anyone else off to BVE at the end of the month? I've not been before but am looking forward to staring at new toys that I can't possibly afford for a day! :D

I'll probably be there. Went last year and really enjoyed it even though I was just window shopping.