X-Men: Days of Future Past

Goose

I hope we do get films that aren't just Wolverine and pals. Also, laser tits man now has laser hands instead, but they still have some timey wimey hoops to jump through to get him to be approximately the same age as Cyclops so they can have a Gallagher brothers style sibling rivalry.

I know nothing about the comics, but isn't laser tits Cyclops' Dad?

Cineworld in Glasgow managed to fuck up spectacularly - the film froze three times during the big climactic sequence, eventually crashing entirely. They had to reboot the projector and skip ahead. Took twenty minutes all told.

Have never experienced this, despite maybe a dozen or so times watching actual prints (which in most cases were well worn ones at the Prince Charles in London).

Anyone else here been to a digital screening and had any technical interruption like this happen?

I saw the second Hobbit film at the Giant Screen at Birmingham's Millennium Point earlier this year. The lights stayed up and the adverts and trailers didn't start on time, but there were only a few people in the matinee screening and no-one went to let the staff know. I think everyone just assumed it'd start in a moment... any moment now... come on, they must have noticed that it hasn't started yet, right?

So after ten minutes or so, someone went out and told them. Soon afterwards the screen lit up... frozen on a single frame from a couple of minutes the movie, which seemed to flicker rapidly between the left eye and right eye images. They put some adverts on while they tried to solve it. So the film started about 25 minutes late in the end.

The knock-on effect of that delay can't have been fun for the people going into the next screening, which was ordinarily scheduled to finish about 11.00pm!

Incidentally, at today's showing of Days of Future Past at Cineworld, there seemed to be a problem with the sound - many of the lines of dialogue were accompanied by a hiss of noise. It was as if any time there was a dubbed piece of ADR, the gain for that track was turned up, not making the dialogue any louder but adding hiss to it. I've noticed something like that before in films, but never as obviously as here. It didn't make the dialogue difficult to make out, but it did mean the dialogue had a different quality to everything else in the film's mix, so it was distracting in certain scenes.

I told the staff about it after the screening, and he said that today was the first day the film had been shown in that screen. So my guess is that something wasn't configured quite right for that film's audio to optimally match that screen's speakers. Is there anyone here who's worked at a cinema who knows what might have happened?

(I might get round to posting some comments on the film itself at some point...)

When I saw The Wind Rises the film froze about three minutes in and then the projectionist came out to apologise for putting the dubbed version on by mistake. Then we watched the same dialogue free section in the original Japanese and it was magnificent.

The one thing that surprised me was how cheap some of the scenes looked- I don't mean special effects or sets, but the actual picture quality, due to digital. Some of the stuff in Xavier's mansion between Wolverine and the Professor looked really ropey, same with the scene with Mystique and Vietnamese General... it had that cheap, digital almost home movie quality where the lighting looks odd... some of it reminded weirdly enough of watching Brookside.

I enjoyed this a great deal, and I think the way the time travel was handled worked out fine. The Quicksilver scene was by far the highlight, and that sort of overshadowed everything else - I don't think any sequence came close to that one. Even though there were action scenes after that, nothing could touch it (a bit like the second showdown in Pacific Rim overshadowing the rest of the film).

Good to see Stewart and McKellan back, same with McAvoy and Fassbender, though it would have been nice to have seen more of the later (still waiting on that Magneto Nazi Hunter movie). But I must admit, around the 90 minute point, I was starting to wonder when the film would end. I don't quite get why other than I felt a bit "I think I've seen enough now" about it all. I could sort of see where the film was going and was more interested in it getting there. Odd.

I thought it was clever the way they explained the opening as well. So yes, good film, enjoyed it. Not up there with Winter Soldier or Edge of Tomorrow but still damn good entertainment.

So, I took my daughter to see this on Sunday and we both really enjoyed it. I think I prefer the comic book storyline more, as for its time in the Marvel Universe it was a very bleak story. But this was a good effort especially as they had to retool it for the better known film characters. I enjoyed the way they pulled off the 1970s stuff - obviously in the comic it was just 'present-day 1980s'.

I was dreading what was coming next during the mansion scene as soon as Young Xavier remembered meeting Wolverine in First Class, but my 10-year old thought that bit was hilarious. A very solid effort, and a film worthy of the comic.

This was delightful. Not as neat and directed as First Class but with more of the gravitas that the Singer films had. And I can assume that when someone refers to "X-Men 3" or "The Last Stand" they're talking about this film instead, and ignore the actual movie of that title.

• 2 months later...

Watched this over the weekend and it was very good but I wasn't entirely sure how the plot managed to resolve itself.

I know Mystique didn't kill Tyrion but come on - Magneto dropping a stadium on the Whitehouse and trying to assassinate the president (after being convicted of already killing another one and escaping custody) as well as killing scores of civilians with the sentinels ON LIVE TV would surely be enough to convince the world the mutants were incredibly dangerous. And yet despite all that the timeline adjusts to some soft-focus dreamworld in which everyone and everything is just brilliant.

Watched this over the weekend and it was very good but I wasn't entirely sure how the plot managed to resolve itself.

I know Mystique didn't kill Tyrion but come on - Magneto dropping a stadium on the Whitehouse and trying to assassinate the president (after being convicted of already killing another one and escaping custody) as well as killing scores of civilians with the sentinels ON LIVE TV would surely be enough to convince the world the mutants were incredibly dangerous. And yet despite all that the timeline adjusts to some soft-focus dreamworld in which everyone and everything is just brilliant.

#notallmutants

WTF?!? The film was a disaster for me. Boring action scenes, WAY too many characters, dumb storyline to force the change over to the young characters. Horrendous from start to finish with only the Quicksilver scene being a standout moment. And even that was a rip-off of the nightcrawler bit from X2.

Except for the opening action sequence, the closing future action sequence and quicksilver, this was a terribly dull, saggy and wordy film. And not in the good way that First Class was.

Wolverine was wasted, the setting was wasted, the conflict between Xavier and Magneto was wasted. It wasn't awful, but it was a huge missed opportunity. It took me a day or so to realise, though, because of the exceptional future battles and that quicksilver moment, which were sublime.