X-Men: Days of Future Past

Goose

I think trying to compare the movies and the comics is a bit of a no-go for me. They are both very seperate entities and expecting them to follow the comics as anything more than a jumping off point will only lead to disappointment.

Having said that, the comics are a mess of convoluted timelines and soft reboots so the films seem to follow that pretty well.

I think its enjoyable enough if you just shut your brain off and go with it. If you try to work out why wolverine has bone claws (I just guessed it was either due to an as yet unseen incident or it was because, as was heavily hinted, this took place before x-men origins, which yes I know, makes no sense.)

I liked Quicksilver and it was a shame we didn't see more of him. Didn't know about the Juggernaut thing. Thank god they didnt go with that as Juggernaut was horribly done in Last Stand (the fact that he isnt a mutant alone was enough, but there again that is going by the comics, this is the movie universe) was reason enough I am glad he wasn't there.

I just felt a little underwhelmed. But all in all it was enjoyable enough.

thats the wolverine...which by my reckoning happens after this one...although as the timeline is altered so that

jean grey never died and scott summers too

then I take it none of the wolverine actually happened...or last stand...oh dear....

Or perhaps they just hope nobody actually looks that far into these things...

The result means non of the other movies happened. But in the future timeline, before events in the past were changed everything was as we have seen it from X1 to The Wolverine. So it makes no sense for him to have his metal claws back, unless he went through the procedure again due to not being much use in the war with bone claws.

I think its enjoyable enough if you just shut your brain off and go with it. If you try to work out why wolverine has bone claws (I just guessed it was either due to an as yet unseen incident or it was because, as was heavily hinted, this took place before x-men origins, which yes I know, makes no sense.)

Why does it not make sense? If you assume that Logan left Vietnam early for whatever reason then the only contradiction is that Origins implies that Logan and Victor were always together and he's not there. But Victor could have been in the next room asleep when Logan woke up in 1973 and Logan just left I guess. The firing squad scene in Origins is 1975 and that's the first scene after the montage which finishes with the Vietnam war, so Weapon X haven't given him the Adamantium yet.

The future wolverine still has bone claws at the end if the Wolverine, so at some point between there and the future segment of DOFP he got the Adamantium back somehow.

So it makes no sense for him to have his metal claws back, unless he went through the procedure again due to not being much use in the war with bone claws.

I can see that as plausible. He's described himself as a soldier, and has fought in many wars, so once the sentinels rose up and mutants start dying he needed to be back to his best for the front line.

I really enjoyed this when I saw it and while there are some inconsistencies it's the best X-Men film since X2.

As for the adamantium,

I'm going to suggest that in the comics from years back, Apocalypse (the dude in the post credit sequence) gives it back to him in exchange for his service as one of his Four Horsemen. As Apocalypse was all about mutant superiority maybe in the original timeline when the mutants were being wiped out wholesale, he offered Logan to reintegrate the metal to help fight the sentinels before being ultimately being destroyed by them.

I'm intrigued what they're going to do for the next film as the future scene really makes everything out to be peachy but things with Apocalypse in the comics were never peachy and my understanding is that the older cast aren't coming back so it must be set before 2023 or whenever. Would've been better, as bad as Origins & Last Stand were, to just have the film end in the 70s with them not knowing if this had worked or not.

Yeah, I do feel a little bit annoyed that as far as I can see they've removed all of the tension from scenes where beast, xavier et al are in danger of dying, as we already know they survive?

I find that's true of most movies though, especially summer blockbusters. Protagonists are rarely killed off so I hardly ever think there is real tension.

I find that's true of most movies though, especially summer blockbusters. Protagonists are rarely killed off so I hardly ever think there is real tension.

That's true, to an extent. No-one going to see the new James Bond film expects him to be killed off before the end, likewise, it's safe to assume that Wolverine will make it through whatever is thrown at him in the X-Men films BUT this series has shown willingness to kill major characters (whether that was a successful choice or not is up for debate) so they're hamstringing themselves already by showing a rosy future ahead of the next film.

I'm intrigued what they're going to do for the next film as the future scene really makes everything out to be peachy but things with Apocalypse in the comics were never peachy and my understanding is that the older cast aren't coming back so it must be set before 2023 or whenever. Would've been better, as bad as Origins & Last Stand were, to just have the film end in the 70s with them not knowing if this had worked or not.

Don't know how reliable it is, but an article here suggests some of the older cast may indeed be returning, but in what form, or for how much screen time, it doesn't say.

BUT this series has shown willingness to kill major characters (whether that was a successful choice or not is up for debate) so they're hamstringing themselves already by showing a rosy future ahead of the next film.

I think they're more hamstrung by treating death as they do in the comics; no-one stays dead, and as such all weight is removed. Loads of them could die in X-Men: Apocalypse, only to be brought back again. Also, this is a franchise that deals with telepaths and psi-powers and what have you. They could retcon events at the beginning of the next film by showing that the rosy future was all an illusion / memory implant. I don't think they're hampered at all really.

Other than the cameos, Prof X swearing and the scene at the end of the credits, I can barely remember what happened in the film. Watched it last night at Showcase in Glasgow. 8 people were in the screening, one walked out halfway through, one walked out 20 minutes from the end, another wanted to leave but his ride fell asleep after 25 minutes and was snoring throughout the rest of the film.

I can't remember being this disappointed about a film in ages, especially after all the buzz and positive reviews.

Even as a fan of the comics I didn't feel any excitement during any of those future action scenes, and the ones in the past were quite naff too. The trailer basically spoiled most of the coolest shots.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Quicksilver scene was pretty cool.

Thank fuck. I thought I was the only one. I thought this was slow and easily the weakest of the x men movies so far. It's not all bad, but not much really happens for an awful lot of the running time and there was barely any action. I did like the last scenes, but I watched lockout last night and found that a far better film. First class is infinitely better than this. Perhaps the disappointment of the year for me so far.

I am amazed at the gushing praise this is getting on the forum, I feel like I watched a different movie. I do think, however, that this is a movie much better suited to watching at home and will revisit it one day.

I' m not a big fan of this franchise, but enjoyed this. Movie definitely peaked with the Quicksilver scene though.

All in all, much better than Spidey 2, but not as good as Winter Soldier and Edge of Tomorrow.

This one is better simply because most of the shit characters from First Class were killed off, offscreen. It's closer to the film First Class could have been if the screaming ginger dickhead had fallen straight off the telescope dish and died.

X1 deserves credit for paving the way for all the comic book adaptations that followed, but I'd move it behind DoFP on that list. I won't argue with someone who ranks X2 first, but for me it's:

First Class > DoFP > X2 > X1 > The Wolverine > X3 >Wolverine

It's better to have mutants turn up just to be action scene dudes though, if it means more focus on a few core characters. No one minds when there are characters in martial arts films called "machete dude" or "chain dude". I mean, obviously the bad mutants in The Last Stand who only turn up for action scenes were shit, but that's because The Last Stand did absolutely everything wrong.

I hope we do get films that aren't just Wolverine and pals. Also, laser tits man now has laser hands instead, but they still have some timey wimey hoops to jump through to get him to be approximately the same age as Cyclops so they can have a Gallagher brothers style sibling rivalry.