X-Men: Days of Future Past

Goose

Just a shame Quicksilver had to return to his own planet, just before he would've been even more essential.

Exactly, says it all really. One mutant included for rights reasons and then sent off half way through the film as he could have made things so much easier for the rest of the story. His scene in the Pentagon was the clear highlight of the film and shows up the rest of the film for being as convoluted and bloated as it was.

Originally, the Quicksilver character was supposed to be Juggernaught; up until the shooting script anyway.

Then Fox and Marvel got into another of their slanging matches over Whedon's plan to use Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in A:AoU and they replaced Juggernaught at the last minute.

It's an accusation that can be thrown at every superhero movie that has a universe full of heroes. Like why doesn't Superman turn up in every DC movie to solve everything right away. It just kills everything, so you have to ignore it.

Quicksilver only agreed to come along for the luls anyway. He'd have been mega bored on a long flight.

Also, I'm still pretty baffled by the reviewers thinking the plot was complicated and hard to follow. Did they even watch the same film?

What really confused me was at the end when Peter was watching TV with little Wanda. A brief exchange where Xavier asked him to join them and he said he wanted to stay with his sister would've been a better explanation than nothing and a nice nod to their characters in the comics.

Well they thought they had the solution didn't they...so there was no need to take him along.

"Yeah, it's cool, we can sort shit out. What you mean, take the really powerful, really useful and potentially decisive guy, just in case? Nah, it's cool, it'll turn out all right. If it doesn't we can just rewrite time again. Or something. Here, let's have another cameo!"

You shandy-drinking pansy-arsed squeamish motherfucker. :lol:

It's got absolutely nothing to do with me being "squeamish" or what other bollocks you wanna spout, but entirely about tone. He 'wakes up' and despite realising that he's significantly more dangerous than the blokes, utterly destroys them just because he can. My issue was that this then seemed really incongruous with the tone of that scene which was much lighter and didn't sit right at all with the jokes and brevity of that scene.

It's an accusation that can be thrown at every superhero movie that has a universe full of heroes. Like why doesn't Superman turn up in every DC movie to solve everything right away. It just kills everything, so you have to ignore it.

No it's not. If Superman was in a the film at one point and then left, it'd be perfectly valid for the audience to wonder why he didn't come back later in the film. I personally, don't expect any character from an extended universe to just randomly pop up in a film just because there's some history of this in comics, or other films.

In this instance, Quicksilver is in the film, essentially saves the day and then is sidelined with no reason given. It's not unreasonable to wonder why he wasn't included later in the film.

Man, this was properly ace. Even the 3D was good - the bits at the start with Portal Girl worked really well in 3D, with the way you could feel the depth of the portal things.

Also good to see that Fassbender did his role as an impression of Ian McKellen throughout, rather than gradually becoming more and more Irish as the film progressed for no reason.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with me being "squeamish" or what other bollocks you wanna spout, but entirely about tone. He 'wakes up' and despite realising that he's significantly more dangerous than the blokes, utterly destroys them just because he can. My issue was that this then seemed really incongruous with the tone of that scene which was much lighter and didn't sit right at all with the jokes and brevity of that scene.

Those punks shot Wolvie before he did anything. No jury in the land would convict him.

Those punks shot Wolvie before he did anything. No jury in the land would convict him.

Additionally, these weren't random guys that he knew nothing about as he had already lived through this once.

He woke up in his own past.

Don't ever read any deadpool or wolverine comics if you thought the tone of that scene was off. Felt very wolverine to me.

Such a massive problem all of the time in these films. I'm not referring to the comics, I'm referring to the film and I'm not referring to his actions, rather the tone of the scene.

He wakes up, he's a bit disorientated, it's all a bit incongruous for the audience given the 'fish out of water' scenario and he makes light of this, especially with his quips and his interaction with the environment. And then he slaughters some men.

Fine, his actions are 'justified' in the context (hey, they shot first etc), but I personally felt like the film then was wildly lurching between tones in a very short space of time.

Later in the film, I actually appreciated the brevity of, for example Quicksilver in the kitchen scene, especially given the heavy nature of the future-narrative and it's one of the strengths of the Marvel films, but in that instance I felt it was mishandled. It obviously didn't for others.

Heavy nature of the future narrative indeed. He just came back from Armageddon. He doesn't have time to worry about some 2bit 70s gangsters.

D'ya know, I quite like that perspective. It's one of the strengths of Edge of Tomorrow in dealing with time travel: "fuck this, fuck you, you're in my way, I've got shit to do".

1) X2

2) First Class

3) Days of Future Past

4) X-Men

5) The Wolverine

6) The Last Stand

7) Wolverine Origins

1) X2

2) First Class

3) Days of Future Past

4) X-Men

5) The Wolverine

6) The Last Stand

7) Wolverine Origins

I'd go with that as well. X2 was amazing and is still probably in my top 3 superhero movies. First Class was better than DoFP, i loved Fassbender and Bacon was a great baddie.

What really confused me was at the end when Peter was watching TV with little Wanda. A brief exchange where Xavier asked him to join them and he said he wanted to stay with his sister would've been a better explanation than nothing and a nice nod to their characters in the comics.

It wasn't Wanda (confirmed by Singer). Wanda's the same age as Pietro. That was most likely Polaris.

I'd go with that as well. X2 was amazing and is still probably in my top 3 superhero movies. First Class was better than DoFP, i loved Fassbender and Bacon was a great baddie.

I thought Bacon was super cheese. And all those mutant teens gave me vibes of a desperate Twilight movie. Fassbender and James McAvoy were great though. Everything else was crap, admit it.

Watch the first Xmen, it's the best out of the lot. A perfect first hour of nearly any Marvel movie.

X2? Alan Cumming removes me from this movie. ALAN CUMMING as a badass blue teleporting mutant, people! No. Just no.

Yeah Sony/Marvel seem to get along much better (the near deal to get Oscorp tower into Avengers, Peter Parker back front and centre in comics as the new movie comes out).

The again, Spidey is a bit more of a heavy hitter in terms of sales compared to FF

I can't help but think Fantastic Four is to be cancelled more because it's a shit comic that just doesn't go anywhere. The only time it's interesting is when they change the roster.

Not even a movie would boost the comic sales. The movies suffers from the same problem ...which they tried to get around last time by making it a Silver Surfer film.

Boring forgettable shit. With a handful of brilliant scenes

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this. I wish I'd gone to see Godzilla now.

I wasn't impressed with the first film, but with good word of mouth and decent reviews, I gave it a second chance.