X-Men: Days of Future Past

Goose

One that leapt out at me was, if Mystique was captured in 1973 after shooting Trask in the original timeline then how could she be in X-Men 1 and 2 (which also happened in the original timeline, unless I'm more confused than I thought. It was a midnight showing.)

Escaped/released/broken out between being captured and the original movies. On the same lines, in the 'original' time line how would magneto have broken out of his maximum security jail with Mystique being awol. And why hadn't Mystique busted him out already?

Escaped/released/broken out between being captured and the original movies. On the same lines, in the 'original' time line how would magneto have broken out of his maximum security jail with Mystique being awol. And why hadn't Mystique busted him out already?

It could work, but Trask made it rather clear that if he had his hands on her body instead of her blood then she probably wouldn't survive the procedure. Yet we know he was successful in the original timeline because of the not-Nimrods in the future scenes.

This film was an absolute delight. I probably should have caught up on the previous films because I was a bit confused as to who was who and what previous relationships were in play. But once I got beyond that I loved it.

Obviously, if they brought Quicksilver with them to Paris everything would have been totally fine. But when a character is as powerful as he is they have to remove him from the film somehow. His assault on the Pentagon was probably the highlight of the film.

The character stuff was fantastic. Junkie Xavier was brilliantly done and some of the best scenes were between Charles and Eric, the bit on the plane was excellent.

The 70’s mutants were all excellent but the future ones were a bit boring – Storm and the rest of them. I thought future Charles and Eric needed one big scene between them. And Ellen Page didn’t get much to do. Dinklage is superb.

The finale was deliciously OTT. Magneto slamming a baseball stadium down on the White House was pure comic book quality. And it made a nice change from the generic city destruction we’re used to. I loved that Richard Nixon got his little moment of redemption but just for a second. Then we’re reminded that he’s a total sleaze!

My favourite super hero movie since Avengers.

I thought it was alright. Quite disappointed after the good press and reaction in this thread.
Nowhere near as good as The Avengers. The plot simply didn't make sense in many areas and the script was at times jarringly cheesy.

I did enjoy it... but it was just Ok. As a movie, Godzilla is about a million times better.

Also, did no one notice the almost shot for shot lifting from the Matrix where they juxtapose the two 'worlds' - the future X-Men trying to fight off the sentinels whilst Wolverine was trying to change things in the past and the crew of the Nautilus trying to fight off the... sentinels, whilst Neo tried to change things in the Matrix?

Trask was dead by that point, though. Presumably even after his assassination they weren't allowed to kill federal prisoners for use in science experiments.

Ah, yes, a fair point. But someone must have continued the Sentinel programme in his stead in order to lead to the 'bad' future, and that would still require them to have Mystique's shape-shifting DNA.

I dunno. Still good fun!

Not sure it's better than X2 but I really enjoyed it. Good to see super powerful flying wrecking shit Magneto. I just wish Marvel could get the XMen license so you could have the Avengers bought in. Magneto is a great Avengers foe as well as just an XMen bad guy. He gets to cut loose a bit more then as well.

I really enjoyed this. It felt like a return to form, and seeing as it's a Bryan Singer film, that makes sense. Talk about throwing everything including the kitchen sink into it, though!

It was funny in places. X-Men films should have a good bit of humour running through them. X3 and Origins were so dour in comparison.

Standout scene is undoubtedly the... well, you know the one. I await amusing gifs. :)

The future Sentinels were absolutely terrifying, holy shit.

In regards to the continuity, I admit I had it wrong in my head. From the previews/synopsis, I thought the future scenes would be

the result of things going wrong in the past and Wolverine would have to restore events to their normal post-X3 version, in which Prof X, Jean and Cyclops are dead, etc. But, no, that is the bad future and it has to be changed to a (completely different) good future where everyone is fine.

Which means there are some inconsistencies between X3/Wolverine and DoFP, which require a bit of geeksplaining to fix.

Such as:

- If the Sentinel program was happening alongside the events of X-Men 1-3, why do we not see any of them until the fancy morphic versions in the future? Were they just a complete failure until then, hence never mentioned? Oh yeah, there was a Sentinel in the danger room scene, so I guess they at least knew that they were a thing, or would be.

- Wolverine lost the adamantium from his claws after 'The Wolverine', yet in DoFP, he has them back again. This is nigglesome more so because his claws are redundant in the future scenes. They could have simply not showed them. Are we meant to assume he found some more adamantium and recoated his claws at some point? Or should we just pretend 'The Wolverine' never happened? See, if the bad future scenes were actually the alternate future, not the original future, this would make sense, but that isn't the case.

- Professor X was dead and Magneto was depowered, but I guess the "comatose twin" explanation works for Professor X and the "failed cure" explanation works for Magneto, as per the final scenes of X3 (and the very flimsy explanation in the stinger scene of The Wolverine). Disappointing that it happened in the first place, but I'll blame that one on X3 rather than this film. You'd have to wonder why the Sentinels weren't armed with "temporary cure guns", though. That would seem to be a viable weapon, regardless of its long-term effect.

- Most of the events of the 60s, 70s and 80s don't quite match up with Xavier's account of them in the other X-Men films. Prof X and Magneto were supposed to work together at the school, Magneto was supposed to have helped build Cerebro, and so on. My main issue with First Class was how quickly it rushed to make Erik the villain by the end of the film and how little time he and Charles actually spend as allies. DoFP does at least try to slow this down a bit (giving Charles back his legs, putting he and Erik together again for a while), but now this all leads to a completely different future anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

As an aside, how annoying must it have been for

Kelsey Grammer to turn up for hours of prosthetics and make-up,

only to appear on-screen for three seconds? :D

On the future stuff above

there is a scene at the end of The Wolverine where he opens a case on the plane and there is a set of what I believe were adamantium blades so I assumed he used these to cover the bone claws he ends up with.

Only thing is I can't remember if this was and after credits scene or perhaps an alternate ending?

On the future stuff above

there is a scene at the end of The Wolverine where he opens a case on the plane and there is a set of what I believe were adamantium blades so I assumed he used these to cover the bone claws he ends up with.

Only thing is I can't remember if this was and after credits scene or perhaps an alternate ending?

Is that the

case that has his classic yellow mask inside? It was an alternate ending. I don't remember seeing the blades too, but fair enough. :)

Is that the

case that has his classic yellow mask inside? It was an alternate ending. I don't remember seeing the blades too, but fair enough. :)

Thats the one. It was a bit stupid showing the mask as we never see him using it so the ending that showed the blades makes much more sense. I will check the endings tonight and see which one was the alternate but yeah they had an ending where he was given a new set of blades.

'The Wolverine' alternate ending.

It's only the classic costume; there's no claws. You can see claws in the picture below but that's the physical props that Jackman holds when fighting. The contents of the case are what is shown in the ending, so the issue of how he got his adamantium back is still to be addressed in the movie-universe, though seeing how the events of 'The Wolverine' are now also retconned out of existence then I suppose it's all moot anyway.

Wolverine-2-yellow-costume.jpg

No, in the normal release

Mariko presents him with the sword

So she does

I think I expected there to be a set of new blades in there so have since replaced what actually happened with what I wanted to happen in my head :D

how was this a 12 with the "fuck off" line in it???

Glad I didn't take my son to watch it...

Loads of 12A films have a fuck in them. I think it stems from the fact that in the US PG-13 films (the equivalent of our 12A) are allowed 1 fuck per film and this is also seemingly acceptable to the BBFC. I'm not a fan of the policy since with only 1 fuck per film it actually slightly jarring to hear it only once, clearly as a result of the need to get a PG13 rating.