X-Men: Days of Future Past

Goose

Good news -

Fox did very well with two franchise prequels/reboots last year: Rise of the Planet of the Apes and X-Men: First Class. We know that the studio is actively moving forward with another Apes film, and last November we learned that Simon Kinberg had been hired to write the movie that will follow First Class.

The actors involved in the X-Men film are all likely to return, thanks to multiple-picture deals, but we didn’t know about director/co-writer Matthew Vaughn and producer Bryan Singer. The latter seemed like a lock, given that he has been involved with Fox’s X-Men film series from the beginning, and we’ve known that Fox was talking with Vaughn. Now we’ve got a report that says Singer and Vaughn have both signed deals to make the First Class sequel.

Deadline has the news about Vaughn in a larger piece about Fox’s plans for 2012.

Fox has just closed a deal with Matthew Vaughn to come back and direct the sequel to X-Men: First Class, with Simon Kinberg writing the script and Bryan Singer back as producer. We still don’t know what story the sequel will tell, but there are hopes that Kinberg’s script will flesh out one idea spoken by Vaughn last year:

I thought it would be fun to open with the Kennedy assassination, and we reveal that the magic bullet was controlled by Magneto. That would explain the physics of it, and we see that he’s pissed off because Kennedy took all the credit for saving the world and mutants weren’t even mentioned.

In related news: sorry, Kick-Ass fans, but this means that Vaughn is even less likely to make that sequel. For what it’s worth, while Chronicle director Josh Trank recently said that he was as surprised as anyone to read that Fox is thinking of him to direct the Fantastic Four reboot, Deadline again mentions the studio’s interest. Whether that is just repeating old reporting, or something that comes from current conversations, is unknown.

X-Men: Second Class then? I'm intrigued to see where they go with it, hopefully they'll rip out all the non Magneto shit and get on with making what First Class should really have been: X-Men Origins: Magneto.

Shame Kevin Bacon can't come back to life for it though

Someone's never read any X-Men comics ;)

X-Men: Second Class then? I'm intrigued to see where they go with it, hopefully they'll rip out all the non Magneto shit and get on with making what First Class should really have been: X-Men Origins: Magneto.

So nice, you said it quadrice :)

Ok, ok, I get your point! :P

And I've never read comics of any description, no.

:lol:

Suffice to say, in X-Men you should never assume that anyone is dead.

Yeah, I'm aware of the Nobody Ever Really Dies system that exists in comics, but in general that has hardly been used in any of the Marvel films (Dr Doom in Fantastic 4 is the only one that springs to mind).

The next film should see Magneto leave the brotherhood of evil mutants and go cruising Manhatten's club scene for meaningless encounters with strangers to fuel his increasingly out-of-control sex addiction. Xavier goes to look for Erik and eventually finds him humping a garbage truck. Erik catches Charles's eye briefly but immediately flicks his gaze to the side. "I don't feel anything any more, Charles."

• 2 months later...

The sequel won't begin shooting until January 2013, for I imagine, a very late 2013 or mid 2014 release (the latter being more likely). This is due to Jennifer Lawrence - in an gentlemanly move, Fox have said she can shoot the Hunger Games sequel before the next X-Men film even though the studio contractually have Lawrence committed to the X-Men sequel first. I assume they're thinking that Lawrence is currently a very hot property and while it would be easy to recast her Mystique role, better to have her name on board, even if they have to wait - given that Catching Fire is due Nov 13th, if they set a March 2014 release for First Class 2, they can ride the publicity wave.

The entire film will be about how Professor X loses his hair and his increasingly desperate attempts to cover up his baldness; he permanently wears a cowboy hat, he makes a wig out of Beast's fur, that sort of thing.

So Prof X is The Edge to Cyclops' Bono?

In the sequel Charles and Erik have made up after the little spat in the last film and put together a new team of mutants with slightly naff powers to investigate the mystery of why people within six degrees of separation from Sebastian Shaw are being murdered.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sequel rumour: Story could be based on Days of Future Past

Would be interesting to see how they tackle the story.

Now confirmed -

Rumored earlier this week, the sequel to 2011's X-Men: First Class is officially titled X-Men: Days of Future Past. IGN scored a confirmation directly from the film's producer, Bryan Singer.

"It's called 'Days of Future Past'," he told the site. "It deals with aspects of that comic, but also some very new things."

The comic book storyline, "Days of Future Past" ran in "Uncanny X-Men" #141 and 142 way back in 1981 during Chris Claremont and John Byrne's run and introduced the idea of

an alternate future for Marvel's mutants that grew out of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants killing an important senator, leading to a future where all mutants are hunted by Sentinels.

With the First Class timeline being set in the late sixties, a 'Days of Futures Past' storyline would allow the "future" to be the timeline established in 'X-men' and 'X-2' - I expect we're looking at a merging of the two so expect young Charles and co to tangle with old Charles and co.

The DOF storylines only had a splash of then current X-Men with some new ones and Franklin Richards of F4, so if they are using apocalyptic 2012 as the setting I see Jackman definitely reprising his role as old Wolvie and I reckon they'd adapt it so that whoever plays the new Reed Richards replaces Franklin (I'd imagine Fox will try and coast on the success of the Avengers universe crossovers) but that'd put pay to any chance of a Days of Future Present film which would be a shame, although it might present an opportunity for F4 vs X-Men movie which could be quite something but I suspect I'm getting well ahead of myself.

Does anyone know if Fox hold the rights for the ENTIRE X-Men universe film catalogue? Because DOF would be a brilliant way to introduce Cable for time-travel purposes and then a possible film, which would make me a very happy bunny but I suspect his convoluted back story may make many scriptwriters heads explode with how to strip it down.

• 1 month later...

From Joblo

X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST may have two Charles Xaviers to contend with a mutant apocalypse. Rumors have begun swirling that both Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy may play versions of Professor X in the upcoming sequel to X-MEN: FIRST CLASS.

Speaking at the Montreal Comic Con recently, Newsarama reported the following: If his recent nod at an Apple store seemed to suggest he’d be returning to the silver screen in the role of Professor X, when asked directly by a fan during his Q&A panel, the Englishman gave a knowing smile and spoke the words many have been waiting to hear: “I think there is every possibility.”

There's more, but it contains MAJOR spoilers for the story. They also ponder the idea that by using a time travel story, and how that may allow it to merge into what would be Singer's original X-Men movie.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't expect this - From Deadline Hollywood

Matthew Vaughn has decided not to direct the sequel to 20th Century Fox’s hit spinoff X-Men: First Class. Ready for the next shocker? Atop the studio’s replacement short list is Bryan Singer, who launched the X-Men feature franchise with the first two superb films, and who has been a guiding influence in this spinoff by writing the treatment and producing. If this works out, Singer and Vaughn would essentially be switching roles. Vaughn, who wrote the treatment for the sequel for X-Men: First Class–Days of Future Past that was scripted by Simon Kinberg, would step back to produce the film with Kinberg and Lauren Shuler Donner.

Vaughn will do another film for Fox, and I’m hearing it will be the drama Secret Service, an adaptation of the Mark Millar comic book series that Vaughn has been working on with the author.

Fox already has the script for X-Men: First Class–Days Of Future Past, and set to return is Fox’s First Class cast that includes Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy and Jennifer Lawrence. Fox hopes to make the July 18, 2014 release date it set for the sequel, but it will have to find a director quickly. I’m not exactly sure why Vaughn is bowing out, but he is pretty picky on projects that he directs. You’ll recall that he briefly bowed out of the original First Class film, prompting Fox to start a search before he changed his mind and returned. Vaughn also passed on directing the sequel to his Kick-Ass film, entrusting the job to Jeff Wadlow. Wadlow is shooting Kick-Ass 2: Balls To The Wall right now with Aaron Johnson and Chloe Moretz.

Now confirmed -

As was rumored to be the case last week, ComingSoon.net has now confirmed that X-Men and X2 director Bryan Singer is officially locked in to helm X-Men: Days of Future Past following the departure of X-Men: First Class director Matthew Vaughn.

Scheduled for release on July 18, 2014, X-Men: Days of Future Past boasts a script by Simon Kinberg and is said to be inspired Chris Claremont and John Byrne's comic book storyline that ran in Uncanny X-Men #141 and 142 back in 1981. "Days of Future Past" introduced the idea of an alternate future for Marvel's mutants that grew out of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants killing an important senator, leading to a future where all mutants are hunted by Sentinels.

Singer produced First Class alongside Vaughn and Vaughn will remain aboard the new film as producer himself.

In addition to directing the recently-aired "Mockingbird Lane" Halloween special, Singer directed the upcoming Jack the Giant Slayer, set for release on March 1, 2013.