Star Wars: The Force Awakens

(it's not as though there would be any risk to their chances of being made in the first place, or of being huge box office successes).

So? What about the creative element of making a film? Why should they include the 'old gang' just because they can? Oh right: iconography. Making the universe feel small. Laziness.

. So let's get the old gang back together for one last time. Let's establish Luke as a Ben Kenobi figure for the new trilogy, and let's have Han and Chewie sacrifice themselves and the Falcon to save whoever the young new hope for the new trilogy might be, all whilst setting up some thrilling new iconography for another generation of Star Wars fans. If the end result happens be be that Episode VII is at least a half-decent movie that pleases its existing fans as well as its new ones, would it really be so bad?

I tell you why not: because it could be fucking awful, an embarrassment seeing these fat old actors waddle around doing a poor impression of a character they last played 30 years ago or whatever. Harrison Ford for example, does he give a shit about acting anymore? Because they won't match up to people's ideas (what they imagined) of what the 'old gang' would act like or what they'd say. Because it's lazy. Because it is just trading on past glories when what the new films need to be about is, I don't know, a new hope for Star Wars fans, a new vision. An *original* vision so much as you can have in an established universe.

I'd like to see them start off in confident fashion by showing us new characters that we can feel for and give a shit about it, not just contriving some shit to shove the old ones in front of the camera in a desperate attempt to catch a little of the reflected glory of a trilogy that has become a cultural artefact.

I really worry it's going to 'hey here's Bespin', 'hey here's old luke (he's just like Obi Wan in the originals GEDDIT?!'' 'here's a lightsabre' 'here's a Sith, he's bad' 'here's a bit with the force' 'here's a spaceship' 'here's a big flashy cgi sequence' 'here's a Boba fett cameo somehow' 'here's some more shit that is SW flavoured'.

I think there’s a happy medium to be struck between continuing the story of the old characters while branching out in a new direction and introducing new protagonists, and having Yak Face and Sy Snootles Jr drop in like visiting royalty every ten minutes. Being able to take on such iconic characters as Han Solo and Luke Skywalker is a gift to any filmmaker, they could definitely do something interesting with them provided they build around them.

It really all depends on the timeline they set these films in. If they set it 50 years after the fall of the Empire then they don't have to bother with the old characters. If they set it within the lifetime of the old characters, and if the New Republic is central to the new story, they'll use them. As heroes of the Rebellion they'll likely be shown as elder statesmen of the Republic.

Personally I don't care which way they go - just please don't be utter dogshit.

Obviously there will be common elements amongst all the films, be it stormtroopers or lightsabers, it's something that can't be avoided but as long as any references to the old film are kept to a minimum and done in a subtle way it'll be OK.

Unlike George Lucas who managed to shoehorn a Greedo kid or jawa into pretty much every shot on Tatooine in the prequels. That was pretty shoddy.

I don't know if this is a suitable place to post this, but I've been watching Star Wars IV on bluray and I'm finding it very depressing and frustrating. I can't imagine how I'll feel when I get round to watching Return of the Jedi... Is it too much to ask to have these films in how they were originally presented in a decent high definition transfer? I don't mind Lucas doing these changes, but I fear that the originals will be lost forever. I hear that they have already used the original negatives to make the special edition but that there are still some 35mm versions of the films intact but the fact is that they will degrade. I am really hoping that Disney realise the historical importance of these films and do a decent digital transfer of them like Sony did with the amazing looking Lawrence of Arabia. Otherwise it will be one of the biggest tragedies in film history that these brilliant, groundbreaking films are lost forever.

I don't think anyone knows for certain. I was reading up on it on that Original Trilogy forum and some people say it was in quite bad shape and it took a while to clean it, then they butchered it to make the special editions. No idea though. For example, when they enter Mos Eisley, there is a shot where a big cgi creature takes up the whole screen. This is supposedly because that part of the negative was completely damaged.

• 2 weeks later...

From AICN -

Saoirse Ronan (ATONEMENT, HANNA, THE HOST) has confirmed that she auditioned. She was on the Empire Podcast where she said:

“Yeah, I did [audition for Star Wars Episode VII]… I don’t know whether I should have said that now! I mean, everyone did. Everyone has auditioned for it. So many people I know have gone in for the part I’ve gone in for, and guys who’ve gone in for a particular part, so I’d imagine J.J. is probably just scanning the earth to find the people that ne needs.”

She did confirm that she used a lightsaber in her audition though:

>>

“But nobody has a clue what it’s about, and nobody’s read the script. So I’ve gone in and read for it, but I have to say, I think it’s the only time I’ve ever thought, ‘You know what? Even if I don’t get it, I had so much fun auditioning, pretending to take out a lightsaber – out of a bag, kind of inspect it and not know what it is. That was… that was great. A lightsaber! Star Wars!”

Exactly what I was thinking Smitty. The fact that lightsabres have had anything to do with auditions, is in my opinion very ominous news.

Exactly what I was thinking Smitty. The fact that lightsabres have had anything to do with auditions, is in my opinion very ominous news.

Surely though, given that they've got about a million advantages over blasters and were only out of fashion in the OT because the emperor banned them, once the empire is defeated everyone would be clamouring to get one?

I assume that either the young female looking at light sabre they're auditioning for will either be Luke's Jedi daughter or a student at the new Jedi academy he runs.