rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Orko

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

15 hours ago, mushashi said:

This is the last hope of 'true' Star Wars fans though, 

Not a criticism of your post because it raises a good point but what is a 'true' Star Wars fan these days?

• Upvote 1

On 06/01/2019 at 01:33, Hanzo the Razor said:

That's because he was younger and hadn't had the years of smuggling experience that led to him being the arsehole he is in ANH.

Years? The end of the movie name drops a job for 'a gangster on Tatooine' that he was going to check out next. It's as clumsy as all the other brute-forced connections, and leaves no room to imagine this Han becoming more like that Han.

• Upvote 2

The secret plot of the new trilogy is Rey killing off all the OG heroes and agglomerating their role into her own, she's looted Chewbacca and the Falcon from Han's corpse, Lukes lightsaber and goal of rebuilding the Jedi Order and in the next one she'll probably take over from Leia as leader of the resistance.

Maybe a stopover to the Sarlacc Pit to nick Boba Fetts armour too.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Darwock said:

Years? The end of the movie name drops a job for 'a gangster on Tatooine' that he was going to check out next. It's as clumsy as all the other brute-forced connections, and leaves no room to imagine this Han becoming more like that Han.

He probably did umpteen jobs for Jabba before he fucked up.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

The secret plot of the new trilogy is Rey killing off all the OG heroes and agglomerating their role into her own, she's looted Chewbacca and the Falcon from Han's corpse, Lukes lightsaber and goal of rebuilding the Jedi Order and in the next one she'll probably take over from Leia as leader of the resistance.

Maybe a stopover to the Sarlacc Pit to nick Boba Fetts armour too.

I never understood what happens with Luke's sabre. The one that calls to Rey is the one he lost when Vader chopped his hand off, so where's the green one from Jedi?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, linkster said:

I never understood what happens with Luke's sabre. The one that calls to Rey is the one he lost when Vader chopped his hand off, so where's the green one from Jedi?

He turned his back on the Jedi so maybe Cashconverters.

Didn't Luke ditch the green lightsabre in the second Death Star? I seem to recall him tossing it aside after he refuses to kill Vader, but I could well have invented that memory.

He has the Green Saber during the almost-murdering-Ben-Solo Flashback sequences. 

I've read a quote from Rian Johnston talking about why the force projection of Luke has the Anakin saber. Apparently Luke did it to enrage and provoke Kylo Ren even more, and also it's meant to be a clue that there's something not quite right....

On 06/01/2019 at 09:12, Mawdlin said:

Not a criticism of your post because it raises a good point but what is a 'true' Star Wars fan these days?

No idea, as I'm not a diehard fan of the series, but it's a position I've seen put forward by some people. I assume it's people who love the original films and hate TLJ.

22 minutes ago, mushashi said:

No idea, as I'm not a diehard fan of the series, but it's a position I've seen put forward by some people. I assume it's people who love the original films and hate TLJ.

Well, as someone who loves the original films, thinks the prequels are a complete mess, predominately terrible,  and the new ones to be great especially The Last Jedi, I'm totally fine not being in the company of so called "True" fans. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, K said:

Didn't Luke ditch the green lightsabre in the second Death Star? I seem to recall him tossing it aside after he refuses to kill Vader, but I could well have invented that memory.

Fair play. I’d forgotten that but now you mention it can picture the scene just as you say 

Watched this on telly the other day and it was better than i remembered. There were some really awesome shots, like Han and Kylo on the catwalk with the light coming in. The squid monster bit is awful tho. 

I only like the original trilogy, but Return of the Jedi is my favourite, A New Hope is in second place and Empire is third.

I’m not a true fan, am I?

True fans only like the original cut of Star Wars that Lucas showed to Laddie, Spielberg et al, and which was so groundbreaking and brilliant that even Spielberg could only say “er, well, I liked the bit with the robots.”  Everything after that has been a studio-led watering down of the auteur’s original vision.

• Upvote 3

I was reading this month's Empire magazine and they had a preview bit on what to expect for Episode IX, and even they mentioned the schism that TLJ caused and they listed the usual suspect reasons for why some people absolutely hated that film. But not to worry, J.J. will save the fandom from itself, so good his father named the saviour twice :P

I'll set my expectations to competent but uninspired, just like every other film of his I've seen.

• Upvote 2

If he’s going to rid us of the flab and the extraneous characters and continue build Rey and Kylo Ren to a satisfying conclusion that’s all I want, there are perfectly valid reasons Ryan Johnson’s ability as a storyteller requires a change, but I also see it as a step back potentially if it’s to pacify  the Mark Hamill fanboys. The series needs directors willing to take risks, not another Ron Howard, and JJ doesn’t exactly have a faultless track record (in retrospect i think the best movie of the Trek reboot is the one he wasn’t involved with)

• Upvote 1