Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Captain Kelsten

I picked up the Visual Dictionary today - quick flick through before it gets wrapped up - but you can find out the name of that vulture thing pecking away at a rusty bit of scrap and learn all about the members of the senate on the balcony watching the pretty red fireworks.

Yep, I got it today, along with the Visual Dictionary and Incredible Cross-Sections.

It's really interesting, with some gorgeous artwork in it. Lots of cool info about the production of the film.

Incredible Cross-Sections has some interesting stuff (especially about the ships), but I think my fave of the three is the Visual Dictionary.

Sorry. I had to rotate the pics for my neck's sake.

U8cXnlp.jpg

fJ1fryp.jpg

I got that today.

Very useful info. It's pretty much what people already assumed, but it's nice to have it confirmed and in more detail. Just a pity it wasn't made a bit clearer in the film.

This is why you don't put the teenage modern apprentice in charge of the company's major IT project. He starts dressing like a goth, smashes up the kitchen and the planet explodes.

What's the novel I need to read to get a bit more of a background about the Resistance and the First Order?

No novel (?), but the Visual Dictionary has some useful info.

Thanks for the offer, but see below:

The box was right there in front of me. I just couldn't resist! :)

Where'd you get it from, and for how much?

I mean I feel the First Order could have been explained or handled a bit better- in that they're meant to mysterious but at the same time they're really well equipped- and I couldn't quite get my head around if they were meant to be a known fact around the galaxy or if this was the first time proper they'd emerged. But I've quite possibly missed the point on them with everything else going on. And it kind of didn't matter I guess- there were good guys, there were bad guys, there was humour- Star Wars was back on form.

Yes, this is one of the nits I could pick. I was quite confused about exactly what the First Order were. If only Star Wars films had some established way to quickly bring you up to speed on the back story just before the film started...

Also. Fucking StarKiller base. It's a thematic backdrop that does call back on Star Wars '77 but it's not a complete retread. As scott mentioned, imagine being 'annoyed' at it while the X-wings assault the open Duct, that bit was exhilarating.

StarKiller base is a planet. It does not move. It's a giant cannon build into a planet with the sole purpose of destroying the Republic's home system, this now being the Hosnian system, the NEW Republic capital planet is Hosnian Prime. So what's happened to Coruscant? We don't know yet, it may still be the base of operations for Snoke and the New Order... we shall see.

"Hux chose the Hosnian system, which hosted the capital of the New Republic, Hosnian Prime, as well as the New Republic Starfleet, in order to demonstrate the power of the First Order in an attempt to wipe out the "illegitimate" government of the New Republic in one fell swoop. "

So they completed their mission. Starkiller Base is a success. Then, on the orders of Snoke they target General Organa's Resistance using up the remaining power of the sun. They're charging up everything for one final attack, afterwhich Starkiller base no longer matters.

Starkiller base does move, at least according to the bloke* on twitter who deals with canon for Lucasfilm and indeed an image earlier in this thread which plots its route through the timeline of the movie.

* I'll link to his twitter account when I look it up again later.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/678807438418534401

Toys r Us for the usual rrp of £129.99.

[C-3PO]Wonderful! [/C-3PO]

I wish I could send him on patrol and then turn off the phone app, but that's a small issue. And yeah, I do wish he made his own noises. But I'm guessing that wouldn't be possible given the small size of the unit and the already limited battery life, not to mention the added weight of a speaker and associated circuitry inside the unit possibly causing problems to the sphero engineering inside.

It really is remarkable controlling him though. Truly a technical marvel!! :wub:

Agh. I really should resist the temptation...

Saw this yesterday, I think the best compliment I can give it is that it washed away all memories of the prequels.

It felt like a Starwars Saga set 30+ years later, I loved every bit of it. And those lightsaber fights...

Can't believe people are nitpicking at it, we've finally been given a worthy addition to the Starwars saga! Rejoice!

Saw this yesterday, I think the best compliment I can give it is that it washed away all memories of the prequels.

It felt like a Starwars Saga set 30+ years later, I loved every bit of it. And those lightsaber fights...

Can't believe people are nitpicking at it, we've finally been given a worthy addition to the Starwars saga! Rejoice!

FacepalmThroughHead.png

Right, went to see it for the 2nd time last night and it only reinforced how fantastic I thought it was. As I said earlier my expectation for Luke to appear and save the day left me slightly underwhelmed with the ending 1st time round, but on my 2nd viewing with that expectation gone I was just blown away with the finale. So much has been said about Kylo failing to beat Rey but watching things closely this time round he absolutely batters both her and Finn with some of the best lightsaber action we have been given since Empire.

The sheer aggression from Kylo as he hacks trees down, all the while marching forward with an arrogant swagger is fucking perfection given the portrayal of the character up to this point. Its only when Rey, a clearly gifted force user, focusses her mind and channels her dormant strength that he is over powered. They also make a point of showing Kylo is heavily injured both physically and mentally. His lines of "TRAITOOOOOR and "That lightsabre belongs to me" made me shiver and with repeat viewing it is only going to get better.

I expect we will look back on The Force Awakens when the full trilogy has been released and understand all the questions we currently have and appreciate why we have had those questions. This is the start of something special and all little issues or complaints aside it is hard to deny that Star Wars is well and truly back on track.

Also, theory regarding Episode VIII that I will spoil in case folk dont want to think about the possibilities too much

Was thinking it could have a mix of flashbacks with current events to help show what happened between Ben and Luke along with Rey's past. JJ has already stated Johnson's movie will be a very different beast so personally I think this would be excellent. Use the film to add context to the history and also set things up for the undoubtedly epic finale. Johnson's previous work on Looper sets him up perfectly for this style of film as he was jumping between timelines in that so its definitely one to consider. It would be a very different approach to Star Wars but I have no doubt whatever they do will deliver the goods

Anyway, the next viewing for me will be after New Year and it will be IMAX so thats another one to look forward to. Its painful to think about the 18 months we have to wait now but it will be worth every single bit of it!

Wasn't responding to you, but the point is that you never take everything in the first time. We've got some interesting expectations here.

Yeah but if you watch the Starkiller sequence 100 times it will still cut to people on a planet we haven't been to and don't care about, rather than being framed by characters we are invested in. Maybe second viewings will make Rey's force focus attack less annoying, but things like that aren't going away.

I really like the film! I just don't get the "It's better than the OT".

They also make a point of showing Kylo is heavily injured both physically and mentally.

Plus they also repeatedly made a point of showing just how fucking BADASS Chewie's bowcaster was, before we finally saw Chewie shoot Ren with it.

Also, theory regarding Episode VIII that I will spoil in case folk dont want to think about the possibilities too much

Was thinking it could have a mix of flashbacks with current events to help show what happened between Ben and Luke along with Rey's past. JJ has already stated Johnson's movie will be a very different beast so personally I think this would be excellent. Use the film to add context to the history and also set things up for the undoubtedly epic finale. Johnson's previous work on Looper sets him up perfectly for this style of film as he was jumping between timelines in that so its definitely one to consider. It would be a very different approach to Star Wars but I have no doubt whatever they do will deliver the goods

If they did that, I'd like...

A flashback showing Rey's mother... preferably a newly-canon Mara Jade played by Christina Hendricks or Jessica Chastain.

But that's just me.

I thought the score was pretty forgetful when I was watching it, but I've been listening to in on Apple Music and Rey's Theme, which is used throughout, is gorgeous. Maybe I was just concentrating a little too much on the incredible visuals. The one thing it didn't have is a good theme for Kylo Ren to rival the imperial march.

If they did that, I'd like...

A flashback showing Rey's mother... preferably a newly-canon Mara Jade played by Christina Hendricks or Jessica Chastain.

But that's just me.

Oh, I like that!

I'm picturing something that leads to the finale of Episode VIII being split over 2 timelines rather than the current formula where the final set pieces are split between separate locations and jumps between each of them. Its a bit of a stretch, especially as it would most likely involve Kylo being active in both parts but it would really shake things up and given the immense love that seems to getting put into these movies it could be quite spectacular!

I only got back from it a couple of hours ago so it's not really sunk but overall I had a bloody good time and kept thinking through out this is what the prequels should have been so def a success.

Funniest moment for me was Ren having a fit of rage, destroying a control room when two guards are about to walk by. They just turn the other way and bob round a corner :lol: Almost expected one to whistle.

Oh, I like that!

I'm picturing something that leads to the finale of Episode VIII being split over 2 timelines rather than the current formula where the final set pieces are split between separate locations and jumps between each of them. Its a bit of a stretch, especially as it would most likely involve Kylo being active in both parts but it would really shake things up and given the immense love that seems to getting put into these movies it could be quite spectacular!

So like, Star Wars does The Godfather Part II?

Starkiller base does move, at least according to the bloke* on twitter who deals with canon for Lucasfilm and indeed an image earlier in this thread which plots its route through the timeline of the movie.

* I'll link to his twitter account when I look it up again later.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/678807438418534401

To be fair, his twitter account does also say: "Don't cite tweets as canon."

Man people are really rushing to defend this film. All the criticism of this are fair, it has a lot of problems.

Doesn't mean it's not great to watch, I really enjoyed it.

Rylo was a terrible bad guy, he actually did seem like a Disney character to me, I'm surprised how many people are rushing to defend him.

Perhaps because Kylo Ren is absolutely not a terrible villain? and in fact almost steals the show?

I'm far more surprised at the amount of people who just do not get his character at all, that it all just flies over peoples heads!

But hey, it's all opinions and interpretations right? C'est la vie.

Regarding Rey

is it not possible she's had some training already and had her memories suppressed somehow ? Ren seems to know of her existence - "Girl ? What girl ?" so perhaps they had some sort of training as children before she was hidden away, and she was more using Force muscle memory as things came back, rather than working out new powers.