IGNORED

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Captain Kelsten

I love the Star Wars Hotwheels although they are a bit pricey.

I picked up Kylo Ren, the only one in a sea of resistance fighters and constable raiden hats

Edit: Stupid upside down photo.

Another figure I almost picked up, but didn't because of the price, was Captain Phasma. Cool looking figure but would have been cooler with a more chrome finish to the armour.

post-25905-0-28068700-1441481953_thumb.j

Buying pretty much anything in the hope that it'll be a collectors item is a waste of time really. The things that gain significant value are rarely the cool things that everyone gets. They're the weird curios that no-one buys and are really hard to find. It helps when people aren't actively looking for those rarities in advance and buying everything just in case.

The exception is the short term profit you could make from buying a bunch of must have Christmas toys or something and selling them on at inflated prices, but then you'd be a dick. :P

Anyway, BB-8's cool but obviously a bit of a novelty. I was a little disappointed that you have to keep the app open to let him patrol, although it makes sense seeing as all the processing is done on the phone. He does have quite a lot of personality for a glorified cricket ball though, and all the little head movements are rather clever. I'm not sure he's really worth £130, but I'm glad I've got him. I'm taking him into work tomorrow. :)

Anyway, BB-8's cool but obviously a bit of a novelty. I was a little disappointed that you have to keep the app open to let him patrol, although it makes sense seeing as all the processing is done on the phone. He does have quite a lot of personality for a glorified cricket ball though, and all the little head movements are rather clever. I'm not sure he's really worth £130, but I'm glad I've got him. I'm taking him into work tomorrow. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what updates Sphero make once the film's out. They've also hinted that the droid may become programmable in the future like their other products - hopefully that functionality gets past the multiple levels of Disney approval. Their other robots also link in with various educational programs, so this could get approval later down the line too. It's only the start for little BB-8!

I'm about 10 minutes into the first rewatch of Empire i've had in a good while. I already have 4 questions.

1) How did Luke not sense the Wampa coming?

2) Why was the lightsaber lodged in the snow beneath him? It's far enough away that it wouldn't have slipped from his belt and fallen down. Also it wouldn't be orientated that way.

3) What large creature is the Wampa munching down on? We've spent what little dialogue we've had so far establishing that there's no life anywhere near them. That Wampa is pretty ripped.

4) We've established that a particularly bad and lethal snowstorm has arisen. Luke has subdued the Wampa by chopping his arm off. Why doesn't he finish the job and use his liar for shelter until it passes?

I've always thought of Jedi as my favourite in the franchise as it has most of my favourite sequences, but I'm starting to realise there was just a lot of nonsense in Empire that i'd only subliminally picked up on.

He's eating Luke's tauntaun isn't he?

The stuff about which way up the lightsaber fell: fucking hell. Go back and read some of the stuff where you bent over backwards to give all the absolute bullshit in Prometheus a pass. Especially perhaps the bits where people did illogical things because "they were scared".

He's eating Luke's tauntaun isn't he?

The stuff about which way up the lightsaber fell: fucking hell.

I'll take the tauntaun explanation. What did he eat yesterday? The day before that? The day before that?

The orientation is a quibble, but it's literally metres away from where he's pinned. That didn't drop down and go on a little journey. The Wampa must have planted it there on a lark.

It's not like that at all. You are saying things are stupid when with a different film you said that much stupider things weren't stupid.

I mean honestly, the placement of the lightsaber. It fell there at some point.

We're not saying you should like Empire because it's better than Prometheus. We're saying you didn't mind gaping holes in one film, so you shouldn't mind smaller (to non-existent) holes in another. Every point about Luke's you raise is easily explained by the same reason you gave for every time someone did something stupid and nonsensical in Prometheus: people behave irrationally when they're scared or under pressure. And all the other points aren't even holes, they're just things you haven't applied any thought to.

Didn't exactly expect the vitriol from a throwaway post about a few dumb observations in a movie I'm casually re-watching. Calm down mate. You're posting like I said Prometheus is the better movie. Psst: it isn't. This is a Star Wars thread and I'm pointing out fun dumb things about a Star Wars movie. People don't need to respond to every opinion about anything I ever have by bringing up the fact that I like Prometheus more than most as if it's equivalent to being a kiddy fiddler or something.

Movies!

I wouldn't normally mention the P word. But when you're picking ridiculously pedantic holes in a film, it comes off as really rich when you spent such a long time graspingly "explaining" gaping chasms in another movie. Just apply those same justifications to this movie. Not to do so would be intellectually dishonest.

To be clear: this isn't "yeah but you liked Prometheus so your opinion is invalid". It's "but aren't you the person who is happy to internally paper over the cracks in a story in order to indulge the spirit of the script?".