Star Wars: The Force Awakens

In-universe? Good question. Not any of the main characters, certainly.

Von Sydow's rumoured character is old enough to have been alive during the PT and will likely provide a info-dump of plot at some point but hopefully not regarding midi-chlorians.

Yeah, I meant in-universe. Yoda and Ben never bothered telling Luke about them, so hopefully Von Sydow will be of a similar mind. Luke did in the end get quite good at it all without knowing about them, so they're not really necessary.

Maybe the midichlorians are like leeches, anyway. People thought they did one thing but they turned out to be nothing to do with it.

Yeah, I meant in-universe. Yoda and Ben never bothered telling Luke about them, so hopefully Von Sydow will be of a similar mind. Luke did in the end get quite good at it all without knowing about them, so they're not really necessary.

Maybe the midichlorians are like leeches, anyway. People thought they did one thing but they turned out to be nothing to do with it.

It's all a bit silly and one of the biggest missteps of the prequels IMO.

I mean in the prequels they even had blood tests and equipment to check a persons force level. That sort of thing doesn't disappear out of scientific and common knowledge in a couple of generations.

It makes Han's dismissive tones about the force seem ridiculous in ANH. I've already mentioned in this thread that Chewbacca hung out with Yoda and saw Jedi doing their stuff first hand so he might have mentioned them to Han, but really Han or his parents were alive when the Jedi had a massive temple on one of the main planets, Jedi were fucking everywhere running around with their flashy swords and negotiating trade deals, everyone knew about them, basic service droids on trade blockade ships identified them as Jedi immediately, random scrap merchants on shitty border planets are familiar with jedi mind tricks, little slave boys know all about them, a massive war is literally fought by them, and then suddenly everyone forgets all about them in them the space of a few years and it's considered mystical nonsense and hokey religions.

Actually it's not just silly it's fucking stupid.

It makes Han's dismissive tones about the force seem ridiculous in ANH. I've already mentioned in this thread that Chewbacca hung out with Yoda and saw Jedi doing their stuff first hand so he might have mentioned them to Han, but really Han or his parents were alive when the Jedi had a massive temple on one of the main planets, Jedi were fucking everywhere running around with their flashy swords and negotiating trade deals, everyone knew about them, basic service droids on trade blockade ships identified them as Jedi immediately, random scrap merchants on shitty border planets are familiar with jedi mind tricks, little slave boys know all about them, a massive war is literally fought by them, and then suddenly everyone forgets all about them in them the space of a few years and it's considered mystical nonsense and hokey religions.

Lucas wrote every single word of all nine screenplays before shooting any of it and never ever made anything up as he went along NEVAR FORGET.

I always found it odd that the gap between RotS and Star Wars was only 20 years. In that time the entire Jedi order (several thousand strong?) was effectively wiped out bar Yoda and Obi Wan. Also Obi Wan and Anakin aging and Han Solos dismissive comment (and the Imperial Officer that Vader force chokes) about the force being some old hokey religion always made me think that the Clone wars took place a good 40-50 years previously which would make all of the above more credible.

I suppose that would mean Anakin was a lot older when he made Padme pregnant which would have made things more interesting from a back story perspective but Lucas couldn't be bothered.

Actually it's not just silly it's fucking stupid.

Even more fucking stupid when you consider that lucas had young han solo making a cameo in episode 3 during that jedi battle with chewbacca in the early drafts.

This is the concept art:

star_wars_concept_art_han_solo_1-630x472star_wars_concept_art_han_solo.jpg

Maybe Han is like one of those idiots who think the moon landing was faked.

"The Jedi are nothing but a myth."

"Wrrrrooooooaaaaaaaarrr!" (WTF dude? I actually fought alongside the, in this big war and I was personal mates with their leader!)

"That was all filmed on a soundstage on Dantooine. I'm just asking you to keep your mind open."

Oh come one. It's only 25 years since the Berlin Wall fell and it already feels mythical to most people while billions of people have only heard about it via history books (if at all). It's less than that since Russia fell apart and our politicians who are old enough to know better have made political decisions that would make Thatcher, Gorbachov and Reagan give up if we could go back in time and tell them.

Both collective and individual memory is fairly transient unless you're directly impacted. Just ask Palestine. That history will have been rewritten for 20 years and lots of people will have thought "oh, hey, those Jedi weren't all they were made out to be" is entirely plausible - especially seeing as anyone who would have actually seen one in person would either be a clone in an army that follows direct orders or someone who's been drinking in the corner of a bar and whispering about it for fear of an Imperial officer shooting them.

Oh come one. It's only 25 years since the Berlin Wall fell and it already feels mythical to most people while billions of people have only heard about it via history books (if at all)

It would probably feel less mythical if you spent most of your life driving around with David Hasselhoff in the seat next to you.

Hasslehoff could talk to me for 20 years about the huge crowd of people he sang to once but, eventually, it's just another boring story if I never even see crowds of people listening to music being sung never mind him actually singing it.

Like, there are people alive now went to Lebanon and Afghanistan on holiday because they were beautiful places and beacons of progress in the Middle East. Holiday! Progress! Just because they tell someone else who was alive then that it's a thing doesn't mean they take it at face value.

Too many metaphors.