IGNORED

Best Side Scrolling Beat Em Ups

bplus

I deliberately forgot DragonNinja. I played it recently and found it utter gash, despite loving it as a kid. I play Double Dragon every now and again, and still find it very boring. Other games like renegade and (possibly) vigilante got there first, so I can't say it's genre defining either.

People are overly fond of Double Dragon because it's one of the few arcade beat em ups we were able to play on our 8-bit home systems. That doesn't make it a great game though.

Final Fight is way better, and technically far superior, hence why we had to wait till the 16-bit sysems took off to be able to play it.

Ok. Some Scrolling beat em up history.

First, came Kung Fu Master. Then came Renegade which was the first scrolling beat em up with a 3D element. Sadly each level was only about 3 screens long. Then came Double Dragon which is actually the unofficial Renegade sequel. Double Dragon offered more moves, and was the first beat em up to have collectable weapons. Then came Vigilante which had the weapons but didn't have the 3D element. Vigilante was quickly followed by Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja, Prisoners Of War (which even used the Double Dragon blue & red colours for the main characters) Golden Axe, Final Fight ect.

People are overly fond of Double Dragon because it's one of the few arcade beat em ups we were able to play on our 8-bit home systems. That doesn't make it a great game though.

Not for me. I remember playing it avidly when it first arrived in arcades. It stood out for many reasons - cool graphics, the best violent moves (for the time), great soundtrack, fairly easy to play, and effective two player mode (with that brilliant twist at the end). To round it all off, it had a brilliant sinister atmosphere (starting off with the brilliant intro where the girl gets a good beating). Its still a classic IMO, much better than all the pretenders.

Does anyone remember what the sequal to Dynasty Wars by Capcom was called ??

This was more like Knights of the Round than the original and had the added fun that you cut people in half  :)

I had  an unboxed playstation version which i foolishly traded for a copy of Macross VFX  :(  oh well

It`s called Warriors Of Fate. You`ve got it on mame !

I can't remember anything these days... :o

Apart from Double Dragon 2 which I dont think has been mentioned - Which was crap in the arcade as it was too much like Double dragon but then was redeemed by the fact that the Amiga version was an excellent conversion- Hurray !

In Streets of Rage 2 couldnt you get extra characters (like the Kangaroo) n stuff? I thought that was a great idea for a side scroller.

Personally, my fave has to be NES DD2, played it soooooo much. I like how the buttons were attack left/right, and both for jump.

I also think Tekken Force mode desrves a mention. Not as well-respected as it should be (imo), as kicking the shit out of the crappy guys as either Hworang or Bryan (or even Eddie) was tremendous fun. Shame there was no 2-player mode.

No Roo/Victy and Shiva were playable in Streets of Rage 3 (Bare Knuckle 3) as well as Ash (dodgy character removed from the Western version - who is playable with an Action replay code)

If I remember rightly to play as Roo/Victy you either had to press Up+B on the Title screen (or maybe character select screen) or you could beat his Keeper up instead of him at the end of the second level.

To play as Shiva you had to hold down the B button after you defeated him at the end of Level 1 until the start of Level 2.

Or you could use Action Replay codes.

I'd argue that Streets of Rage 2 (and 3) are both better than Final Fight myself (although I like Final Fight as well). Just much preferred Streets of Rage series.

Final Fight's the best side scrolling beat 'em up ever, I believe. Streets of Rage 2 is obviously a very close rival, but it just lacks the gritty 'street fighting' feel of FF for me. SoR2 was too colourful and overly-arcadey in it's appearance, even though I absolutely love it.

I also think Tekken Force mode desrves a mention. Not as well-respected as it should be (imo), as kicking the shit out of the crappy guys as either Hworang or Bryan (or even Eddie) was tremendous fun. Shame there was no 2-player mode.

I quite like the Tekken Force modes in Tekken 3 and Tekken 4 but I don't feel like I'm as properly in control as I'd like. Choosing who to attack seems decided by the computer. Still fun though.

Way of The Tiger on the Speccy. Not that it was very good; I only remember it because it was so rock hard. Technically not a side-scrolling beat-em-up though. Although it did scroll to the side, there was only ever one enemy at a time. I never got past the second bloke, a big ogre type thing.