IGNORED

Best Side Scrolling Beat Em Ups

bplus

Hi,

Can anyone here recommend some really good side scrolling beat em ups. Other than these:

-final fight, catilacs and dinos, punisher, knights of the round (cant think of anymore capcom ones) these are ok but dont feel "tight" enough plus they are way to long, actually i prefere double dragon.

-Streets of rage its better than final fight but not that much better.

-turtles and the simpsons are actually pretty shit on replay.

Then we have golden axe: i dont know what it is but i love this game. Mame doesnt appear to emulate golden axe 2 so i tried the megadrive version, is this pretty much the same?

Is goldenaxe 3 megadrive only, i played it for about 2 mins and couldnt believe how shite it was.

Where there any other game based on the goldenaxe engine?

Can anyone recommed some side scrollers beat em ups for me, especially if they have a ranking system like golden axe? I playing on a chipped xbox so games that are available for emulators on it would be good.

Cheers in advance!!

The arcade version of Golden Axe 2 is completely different to the megadrive version ,..... and it's about 300 times better. It works on mame but there's a few graphics errors in the 3d section - but it's still playable.

Is goldenaxe 3 megadrive only

Yip

Where there any other game based on the goldenaxe engine?

Not based on the same engine, but there is a golden axe 3d fighter for saturn. Not all that great though apparently.

Captain Commando was pretty decent, what with it's crazy pick ups (like missile launchers, a giant shuriken etc).

There was this game I only saw and played once where you had a power bar which filled up and you could change into a werewolf or a half-man-half-panther thing. I think it was by Konami. Seemed pretty good at the time...

Are you totally dismissing the Aliens side scroller then? :mellow:

Do you mean Aliens vs Predator ? Its quite good, but i dont think replayability would be that great.

Golden Axe is okay, I just dont think its the best scroller out there.

To me Streets of Rage 2 is the best..

Taito's 3-screen `Ninja Warriors` is well worth a good faff on. The only problem is that it looks a bit shite on a monitor as the emulator attempts to replicate it's tri-screen goodness.

The sound is excellent, but the music is still nothing short of stunning. Zuntata at his finest.

Rob

Captain Commando was pretty decent, what with it's crazy pick ups (like missile launchers, a giant shuriken etc).

There was this game I only saw and played once where you had a power bar which filled up and you could change into a werewolf or a half-man-half-panther thing. I think it was by Konami. Seemed pretty good at the time...

1053852410.jpg

It's on mame if you're so inclined. Captain Commando is sorely underrated I reckon.

Guest Penguin_Lad

Of course you have to take into account that Golden Axe is VERY VERY different from streets of rage, final fight et all.

Why? Because it's a WEAPONS based fighter. It wholly changes the game.

Think of the difference between Soul Caliber and Tekken.

So it's great, but it's different from those other games.

RMG:

That's the one! What's it called, I might have to take a look.

Penguin Lad:

"Think of the difference between Soul Calibur and Tekken".

Apart from your characters having a slightly longer reach, in terms of gameplay how is Golden Axe not almost identical to Double Dragon? (Serious question, not being pedantic).

'side-scrolling beat 'em up' as opposed to what? Surely a side-scrolling beat 'em up is one where you cannot move in and out of the screen, one where you can is just a scrolling beat 'em up and one in 3D is a 3D-scrolling beat 'em up (or more likely described as an 'action game' these days)? Anyway, I'm probably wrong.

Butane Bob are you sure about a Golden Axe 3D fighter for the Saturn? There was a 2D non-scrolling beat 'em up.

I can't think of any similar games in the same league as Golden Axe. Streets Of Rage 2 is great but, as Penguin Lad says, it's different. I wouldn't go as far as say 'VERY VERY' though...

At the time, the original Renegade game was the daddy. Then came Double Dragon, then came Final Fight. I've yet to play a game that betters Final Fight, although I love Turtles and Simpsons Arcade dearly.

Streets of Rage 2 came close, but it just never had the arcade pedigree or attention to detail of Final Fight.

And SeanR, Aliens was a shooter you crazy mutha! :lol:

Alien Storm is quite similar to Golden Axe, it has the same dash attacks I believe, but in other areas it's pretty different (guns, no jumping?) and has on rails first person shooting bonus type sections. I'm sure It's the closest game you'll find to the Golden Axe series though, but it's not very good IMO.

Taito's 3-screen `Ninja Warriors` is well worth a good faff on. The only problem is that it looks a bit shite on a monitor as the emulator attempts to replicate it's tri-screen goodness.

The sound is excellent, but the music is still nothing short of stunning. Zuntata at his finest.

Zuntata are a group of musicians, not one person.

I thought Shadow Warriors was pretty decent in its day.

Final Fight was great, as was Captain Commando. As already mentioned in this thread, CC was underated.

Growl was another decent game I thought, even had a bit of enviromental lecturing in before you started laying waste to everyone with rocket launchers and M16s.

4-Player Ninja Turtles was a great laugh and the levels seemed pretty inventive for the time. Same applies to the Simpsons.

Anyone remember Tecmo Knights? The game itself was very poor, a bit of Altered Beast combined with Golden Axe. I always remember it because the attract mode was pretty violent, with a head being ripped off and a women getting a spear in the eye.

Double Dragon was great on two players in the arcade but just didn't feel at all the same game once it was emulated on Mame.

Vendetta was okay as was Crimebusters.

Couldn't stand Renegade in the arcades but Target Renegade on the Spectrum was fantastic.

I know this sounds very exentric, but I automatically hate when old games get realsed on new hardware and given a second name as Doubble Dragon Advance.

Double Dragon Advance is a superb update of the original though. Not only does it feature everything from the original, it also features an extra 4 levels, new enemies & loads of new moves. One or two shown below.

motion.gif

That looks like the version I had on the Spectrum, c1988.

Double Dragon Advance

dda4.gif

Double Dragon ZX Spectrum style

ddspec3_48.gif

Yeah, ok.

Zuntata are a group of musicians, not one person.

And shock ;) some of them are .... ladies :D

Anyone remember Tecmo Knights? The game itself was very poor, a bit of Altered Beast combined with Golden Axe. I always remember it because the attract mode was pretty violent, with a head being ripped off and a women getting a spear in the eye.

Just booted it up on Mame. Gory stuff for it's day I would assume.

I like the blood appearing all over the faces of the enemies you batter!

Oh, and for the record, Streets Of Rage 2 is the ultimate side scroller.