Outlast. PC/PS4 Survival Horror. Out now. 9/10 from Edge overlords

Moz

New from Red Barrels (lol, good name) which is a new studio full of guys who worked on Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed etc, comes this survival horror.

It's a digital-only PC release for now. (Edit - PS4 too!)

If the trailer is anything to go by, they've mashed up Amnesia, Fatal Frame and Mirror's Edge. Well, you run away from things whilst jumping athletically with your hands flailing everywhere.

Survival horror is not dead!

That actually looks quality. I found Amnesia a bit boring to be honest, an elaborate and atmospheric maze, but lacking in tension for me. I still like a bit of reaction style gaming, but really liked the no weapons approach and how that made you feel helpless.

Though there's been a relentless slew of Survival Horror (especially in the more indie/budget scene interestingly) recently, so far from dead!

This could be brilliant. I've always thought that there's so much potential in the idea of being the hunted rather than the hunter in games. With some smart level design, fluid controls, and just the right atmosphere, you could create something really special. Something that took those moments in Amnesia where you're hiding in cupboards and fleeing down waterlogged hallways and spun them out into a game all about desperation, claustrophobia, and frantic terror.

I really, really wish ZombiU wasn't WiiU exclusive. I have approximately 0% interest in any of the Nintendo franchises, and therefore can't justify buying a WiiU simply for one game :(

Before the NDF get here, I know it uses the gamepad in unique ways. I just think that pretty much all of it could be done minus the touch screen. Sorry.

Survivial horror is very much alive and kicking. We also have ZombiU to look forward to of course and Mikami's Zwei is - according to himself - a return to the genre he helped establish.

This could be cool. Will keep an eye on it.

What's Zwei?

Don't forgot that extremely Dead Space esque FPS called Outpost that's coming out next year too. Looks pretty atmospheric from the teaser trailer.

PC exclusive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Start of the trailer I was hoping we'd be chased by something unknown, with the atmosphere being used to keep tension. However it quickly descended into cheap scares. Not feeling it if I am being honest.

There is a massive difference between something being scary and jumpy. A common issue that blights many 'horror' films.

It is possible to make anyone jump, get the timing right and you can do it. Some of the worst 'horror' films I have seen over the past years have been able to make me jump.

What is difficult is to create genuine fear in a person, so make them scared. Only the real greats have been able to do this in the movie industry. I remember watching Amityville when I was younger and being terrified, because the thing that was scaring me, wasn't anything on screen as such, but the atmosphere being created. Another example is the original Nightmare On Elm St, purely because I couldn't use logic to explain away what was happening, it was in your dreams, you cannot escape your dreams.

Those films mess with a part of your mind that you often have no control over, the side that uses logical thinking.

There have been games that genuinely scared me, Amnesia being the latest, but this game feel like a gaming version of a horror movie using cheap tricks to make the audience jump, it even uses some of the more recent tricks of Hollywood such as the night vision from a video camera, the quick and slow panning of the camera, to make sure you see what is coming, but making sure you jump at the reveal still.

I would love to see a proper horror game one day, one that can make you literally lay there at night, unable to sleep through fear. However, I doubt that would be marketable, so cheap jumps will continue to be the order of the day.

*There is one middle ground and that was Dead Space, which tapped in to the horror of Alien(s) really well.

• 5 months later...

Edge 9/10

http://www.edge-online.com/review/outlast-review/

And that balance is key to Outlast’s success. While there’s rarely any let up in the tension, it always feels like you’re in the hands of a developer at the top of its game, revelling in making the player uncomfortable, but never forgetting to delight at the same time. Outlast’s combination of stealth, platforming and horror is exceptional, the benefits of the diverse experience of its highly talented development team always in plain sight.

Wow - that came out of nowhere. Unlocks in 4 hours on Steam.

Wooooooooah. Bought.

Thanks rllmuk! :wub:

Thread title updated, remind me to change it to "out now" tomorrow if I forget.

That's another confirmed-good game for PS4 that the Bone have yet too, if you're looking for PS4-positivity.