rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Anne Summers

The Twelve by Justin Cronin

Anyone else got this yet? Only just remembered it's out today. Been looking forward to it ever since I finished The Passage which was one of my favourite recent sci-fi/fantasy/post-apocalyptic vampire stories.

I liked The Passage, but I remember feeling that it lost its way pretty badly during the last quarter.

I'll pick up The Twelve when the Kindle version drops in price a bit.

I have similar views to Harsin about the last quarter, but think it was a great book overall.

Got it on preorder so it's probably at home. It'll go into the Reading Pile of Doom, but I might read the first couple of chapters and see if it grabs me.

I'll wait for the paperback. Had mixed feelings about The Passage- some great set-pieces, but way too much of characters 'dying' at the end of chapters only to miraculously leap to their freedom a few chapters later- got a bit tiresome. And then there was this whole undertone of destiny and God which was really grinding my gears by the end. Did like all the Colony stuff though, I felt the book worked best when it dropped all the mystical stuff and played things fairly straight.

Can't remember half of what happened though... I hope the second book provides a neat little summary of what's gone before for sieve-brains like myself.

I also have it pre ordered, I didn't think it was released until the end of the month. Apparently even though it's the middle of a trilogy it does have a satisfying conclusion. Some didn't like the way the Passage ended, though I can't say it bothered me.

For those who enjoyed the Passage I heartily recommend the reapers are the angels by Alden Bell, it's marvellous.

Got it from Amazon last night. £1 more for the Kindle edition. :hmm:

I'd forgotten whole swathes of the last book so had a good old read of the Wikipedia pages, glad I did, there is a recap at the start but it's written in the style of biblical passages and not that useful to be honest.

Aaaand finished it. Liked it, not as much as the first one, but still good. Could have done with being a bit longer to be honest.

I read quick and I had the day off. Halfway through Red Country since I posted that!

Holy Moly.

I feel the same about all the fate and God stuff as Rumblecat above:

...then there was this whole undertone of destiny and God which was really grinding my gears by the end ... I felt the book worked best when it dropped all the mystical stuff and played things fairly straight.

Please spoiler the reply for anyone else, but am I going to like this or not? The first few pages I've read of this have made me think it's going to lean more towards the God and Fate stuff...

Cheers

Please spoiler the reply for anyone else, but am I going to like this or not? The first few pages I've read of this have made me think it's going to lean more towards the God and Fate stuff...

Cheers

I'm at 53% and there's not much of it thankfully. What there is, is pretty much confined to the Amy POV chapters and there's only been about three of them so far, but the writing in them can take a turn for the extremely cheesy compared to everyone else's.

Reading this I remembered what really annoyed me at the end of The Passage.

Oh hey, we've found the perfected form of the virus that gives increased speed, strength and agility with no bad side-effects. This would be really useful in helping the last vestiges of humanity fight the vampire horde. What's that? Magical mystery girl says we should pour it down the drain. Okay than.

No you probably won't, a large part of the Amy story is more mystically driven, leading directly to the final denouement. The other half of the story is pretty much mysticism free.

I recently finished this, and while perhaps not as good as the Passage, it's still a very good tale. The middle did tend to drag in places, but overall it is a great sequel, very Nineteen-eighty four.

Lila is a great character, I liked her connection as well as her peculiarity. So yeah, recommended if you read and indeed liked the passage.

I really enjoyed the Passage but found much of the Twelve to be like a vampire fanfic of the New Caprica series of Battlestar Galactica. There were some good touches - the Lily subplot and the drama of the picnic expedition - but it was on the whole just too derivative.

Really liked this but I think I enjoyed it car more than I would have had I read The Passage first. (I picked it up in Waterstones without realising it was part if a trilogy - I'm a bit weird in that I try not to find out too much about a book before I read it. I'll scan the back for a general gist and just go for it.)

I love being thrown in at the deep end with bits and pieces allowing you to piece together what's going on with minimal exposition. Probably why I really enjoyed the Malazan Empire books with Gardens of the Moon.

I've since read The Passage and didn't like it as much. Maybe it was because I already knew what was happening but the part of the book that dealt with the aftermath of the 12 having broken loose was far more impacting in the sequel.

I'll definitely read the final book as I'll be interested to see where he takes the story.

On 2 June 2016 at 11:54 PM, Cosmic_Guru said:

Not out until 16 June according to Amazon

I got it a week or so ago (on kindle) but I've only just started it. I'm a bit confused so far because I can't remember any of the characters or what happened in the previous books.

Gah, I just posted in  the "what are you reading" thread , how I missed this I dunno.

Now 150 pages in and it's fucking gash- seems to have put one of the characters into a semi autobiographical situation and it's as dull as ditchwater,pure filler or egotism, I'm not sure . I thought the 2nd one dragged out the story  somewhat and probably could have wrapped it all up but as it's a trilogy  another had to be written. 

To offer a counter-view, I'm about 200 pages in and enjoying it. It isn't really a horror novel though - at least not so far. Seems to be an attempt to write a Stand like great American epic with the threat of vamps in the background. Whether that appeals or not may depend on how important the vamps are to you. 

And to contradict my earlier post -  up to page 250 or so and in the last 50  it's picked right up-also  please bear in mind that I'm a bit of an irritable contrary bollix  so all of my opinions should be seen in that light.

Edit- Fiinished now , thoughts in spoilers for those still reading.

Spoiler

There were two major plot devices  that impact the story - one the trilogy in it's entirety and the other this and the last book  that cheapen the entire story. The  vampires inability to deal with water and the the easy access to the town under the gound - had nobody figured these things out in all the years that they were fighting each other?  Maybe I didn't pick these things up in the previous books but they suddenly became critically important to the plot in this one so either I'm thick or he is. But  already paid my money so....

In regards this book- there were two decent sequences whereby the tension was ratcheted up  and the rest was pretty unremarkable .The ending was so far beyond trite it was cringe-worthy,  and he indulged again with a load of pointless exposition in relation to one character  (again possibly not too dissimilar to his own position) that it minimised any attempted impact or leaving the reader coming away with any connection with the main character who most people will have journeyed with since the start of the series.

I had thought of going back to read The Passage  to see if I had imagined the quality of it but after this - fuck that.

In saying all that it did move along and the finale attempted to be big budget destruction (  but I could care less at that stage).

• Upvote 1

I was given the first two of these to read recently and didn't like them much.

Some great individual scenes, but they had the feel that a dry real-life "literary" fiction writer had lost a bet and had to write a post-apocalyptic genre trilogy so he quickly read a few Stephen King and McCammon books and gives it a go despite no real feel for, nor love of speculative fiction of this type.

The Alicia character was extremely annoying.Not quite sure he really needed to have her get repeatedly raped either.

I'm just under half way through The City of Mirrors, and I am enjoying it.

I loved The Passage, and liked (but not loved) The Twelve.

The City of Mirrors, like any end of series book, has a lot to do and its pace so far has been quite gentle. Obviously it will all depend on how the second half plays out.

EDIT: Finished The City of Mirrors now. I enjoyed it a lot.

Read it over the last couple of days and enjoyed it. Nowhere near as good as The Passage but I loved that book. Satisfying enough ending to the trilogy. Did take a while to get going but I quite liked the Fanning bits.

On 16/10/2012 at 23:57, Harsin said:

I liked The Passage, but I remember feeling that it lost its way pretty badly during the last quarter.

I never finished The Passage.

I think I lost all interest once it...

Spoiler

... moved to the future.